Karl Benson talks Sun Belt expansion

gangrene

Karl Benson talks Sun Belt expansion

Benson declined to mention potential targets for Sun Belt expansion, but said any FBS school within the Sun Belt's existing footprint could be a fit -- as well as FCS schools with aspirations to move to the highest level of Division I football.

"There are schools in the footprint that would make sense," Benson said about the possibility of recruiting new Sun Belt members from his old employer.

Well, that didn't take long...

I don't want Benson running the Belt. I'm not interested in a WAC/Belt hybrid. Now more then ever I hope we can get into the alliance.

A WAC/Belt combo would likely be more entry level, and definitely be more widespread, than any conference that we've ever been affiliated with. It could become a huge gigantic thing, since most of the potential up and comers are much more in its footprint than the MAC's. That conference could really get ugly, and could very well set up its members for future "1AAdom." Don't forget to say your prayers tonight.

Look at it this way. There will soon be ONE conference with less than 12 teams when the Big XII makes their final? move. He can let the Sun Belt do nothing and start a downward spiral where they have to take FCS teams or have those teams become FBS teams and in the SBC.

I'd expect him to give at least four of his WAC teams a place to play. He might well talk to Appalachian State, Charlotte, Georgia State, Georgia Southern, et al to gauge their interest. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Sunbelt at 16 with four more for basketball.

Unlike his pioneer effort to be the first conference with more than 12 teams since the old Southern Conference, he now needs to move up and at least be ahead of the MAC. The SEC, the ACC, the National, and the MAC have already passed the 12 mark and others should follow. It's the latest trend.

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that he will offer Texas State, UTSA, and UTA to the Sunbelt at some point and pretty soon.

He can't do that unless the President's authorize him to do so. And I believe it's a 3/4 majority that is required. If a 3/4 majority approves already then it would have happened no matter who the next commissioner was going to be.

He can't do that unless the President's authorize him to do so. And I believe it's a 3/4 majority that is required. If a 3/4 majority approves already then it would have happened no matter who the next commissioner was going to be.

These are the same people who just hired him. You would have to believe that he laid out his suggested plans before he was hired, and they still hired him

• Upvote 1

I believe you are right. I think the problem is 3/4 of the Sun Belt presidents didn't have have the best interest of UNT in mind when they hired Benson and approved his expansion plan. I just hope we are in the alliance when Benson starts adding new programs to the Belt. I'd really like to know how Rawlins and RV feel about Benson running the show.

I believe you are right. I think the problem is 3/4 of the Sun Belt presidents didn't have have the best interest of UNT in mind when they hired Benson and approved his expansion plan. I just hope we are in the alliance when Benson starts adding new programs to the Belt. I'd really like to know how Rawlins and RV feel about Benson running the show.

My exact sentiments, SSJ. Somewhat a back-handed slap from the SBC presidents and AD's.

North Texas' Apogee Stadium, the Super Pit, the Mean Green Village, our annually expanding athletic budget and the main campus of the UNT System no more belong in the Sun Belt Conference than (create your own odd fit illustration because I can't think of one now).

GMG!

I admire Benson for being proactive about expansion. He has his critics but you have to say the guy tries and is willing to think out of the box. I think Rawlins and RV support Benson 100%.

He does think ourside the box. I just don't like the way he thinks outside the box. I might feel better about the situation if Rawlins or RV would address the issue. Leaders at other Sun Belt universities have spoken about the Benson hire. I have not heard anything from Rawlins or RV. I'm not saying they have not commented on his hire, just that I have not read anything.

The fact that you seem to believe the guy might work out, helps ease some of the sting, but I'm still not very happy.

Edited by Side Show Joe

i doubt any Belt expansion takes place until MWC/CUSA fill their plate. then it makes sense for the remaining Belt and WAC schools to merge. both Belt and WAC could loose as many as 3 schools each.[just guessing,UNT,FIU,FAU,SJSU,USU,&UTSA]. that would leave 7 Belt and 3 WAC schools. i am not including Idaho, as they will probably drop down to Big Sky.

I admire Benson for being proactive about expansion. He has his critics but you have to say the guy tries and is willing to think out of the box. I think Rawlins and RV support Benson 100%.

If we were talking teams that were not FBS start ups, I would agree about expansion. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

Can't get out of this conference quick enough.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

If we were talking teams that were not FBS start ups, I would agree about expansion. Unfortunately, that is not the case.

Can't get out of this conference quick enough.

if you view the Tulane fan forum you will see them say the same about CUSA/MWC. surprisingly [at least to me] they hope for a Big 12 invite.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

if you view the Tulane fan forum you will see them say the same about CUSA/MWC. surprisingly [at least to me] they hope for a Big 12 invite.

Really??

I don't think it is unreasonable for alums to envision UNT in CUSA/MWC.

I think it is dillusional for Tulane fans to think that the Big 12 would go anywhere near them.

Just sayin...

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3

If Tulane gets a Big XII invite, the Bevo 12 might as well just call themselves the SWC again, because it would start looking like the old mismatch of big public schools and private universities.