Live from moody coliseum

emmitt01

Bout to watch the ponies play UCF. A couple thoughts.

1)If this game were televised I WOULD be on camera. Either me or one of the other 10 people here. This isn't SMU hate...I'm being totally serious. Diet Coke Boy and I were given two free tickets as we walked up and told "sit anywhere...they won't care."

2)Every single time you step foot in the Super Pit say a little prayer to thank God. We should always acknowledge our blessings.

3)We can't get them on the schedule soon enough. MUTS would beat this squad by 20...and we all know how we would have fared with Jordan and Chris eligible.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I think it's time we start to root for SMU. They need to make a late run here to keep Doh, which helps us IMO. He's more than likely gone here soon and when that job opens up it will be one of the most desirable gigs open in DI. Nice recruiting class , new conference , low expectations and will probably pay pretty well. Like it or no it's only a matter of time for SMU BB passes us bye

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

And I thought we had a "baby ass" arena? Or so we were told.

People who think the Super Pit is a crappy venue don't get out much. There are tons of D1 programs that play in absolute high school level dumps. If there are better facilities at some programs, that's great, but I'd certainly put the pit in the top quartile of places I've visited.

• Upvote 5

I think it's time we start to root for SMU. They need to make a late run here to keep Doh, which helps us IMO. He's more than likely gone here soon and when that job opens up it will be one of the most desirable gigs open in DI. Nice recruiting class , new conference , low expectations and will probably pay pretty well. Like it or no it's only a matter of time for SMU BB passes us bye

Hahahaha...I watched a half of them playing (it was literally that painful to watch). We're gonna be just fine, trust me.

UTA's new joint cost as much as Apogee. I'll take Apogee and suffer with the apparent crap hole that is the super pit, thanks. I swear this place has such caviar tastes on a mac and cheese budget.

I don't see where I called the super pit a crap arena, but to call it "fabulous" or "one of the best" is laughable. Has there been any upgrades to the Pit besides changing the seats? Because it doesn't look like it.

Honestly, I'd rather put money into a major overhaul of the Pit and build a new practice facility for our bball teams then build a baseball stadium.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

I don't see where I called the super pit a crap arena, but to call it "fabulous" or "one of the best" is laughable. Has there been any upgrades to the Pit besides changing the seats? Because it doesn't look like it.

Honestly, I'd rather put money into a major overhaul of the Pit and build a new practice facility for our bball teams then build a baseball stadium.

The great game needs to come back to UNT asap. Period.

• Upvote 2

The problem with the super pit is athletics does not "own it" This is why we had to play the exhibition game in the old arena last year. And it is also why we can't just raise some money and fix the scoreboard, etc. If something is scheduled in the pit and the floor has to come down. Our kids are relegated to practicing in the PEB, which Johnny or Karen have to make a reservation for. There have been talks about trying to get the rec department to "give us back" the old snake pit, rather than building a practice facility. Big politics around campus on this issue, so we just make due.

As far a baseball, there are high level discussions going on all the time about it among large donors. We do need baseball back and it will help us get into a better conference. The field will be right across the street from Apogee which is why that bare land has not been turned into a parking lot.

In the words of Don Lovelace, who wrote the check for the softball field upgrade. "you still have to eat an elephant one bite at a time"

David

The great game needs to come back to UNT asap. Period.

• Upvote 1

As far a baseball, there are high level discussions going on all the time about it among large donors. We do need baseball back and it will help us get into a better conference. The field will be right across the street from Apogee which is why that bare land has not been turned into a parking lot.

Are there any examples (with quotes) that show baseball was a deciding factor in a conference invite?

Are there any examples that show a lack of baseball doomed a program to be "passed over"?

It is my limited impression that football is driving this thing, and then "everything else", my guess being baseball is below basketball...but somewhere above swimming and men's soccer.

I agree, I am just saying that a certain person gets asked all of the time. "are you guys planning on playing baseball" Not a requirement. But certainly would not hurt.

Are there any examples (with quotes) that show baseball was a deciding factor in a conference invite?

Are there any examples that show a lack of baseball doomed a program to be "passed over"?

It is my limited impression that football is driving this thing, and then "everything else", my guess being baseball is below basketball...but somewhere above swimming and men's soccer.

The problem with the super pit is athletics does not "own it" This is why we had to play the exhibition game in the old arena last year. And it is also why we can't just raise some money and fix the scoreboard, etc. If something is scheduled in the pit and the floor has to come down. Our kids are relegated to practicing in the PEB, which Johnny or Karen have to make a reservation for. There have been talks about trying to get the rec department to "give us back" the old snake pit, rather than building a practice facility. Big politics around campus on this issue, so we just make due.

In the words of Don Lovelace, who wrote the check for the softball field upgrade. "you still have to eat an elephant one bite at a time"

David

I highly doubt the fact that the Pit is not technically owned by the athletic department keeps the athletic department or anyone else from donating or spending money to made renovations. There was a loophole at the time of construction that allowed the state to fund much of the cost and allowed the building of a magnificent arena at the time. I assume there are still some requirements to prove this is a multi-purpose building. I assume scheduling problems happen at most schools despite ownership of the facilities as many are now building separate practice facilities. One solution would be for the athletic department to trade Fouts field for the Superpit. School gets space they need and athletic department gets control over the arena. However, this is not the panacea many think as I am sure the academic side is still going to have access to the building for large functions.

Baseball would be nice to have, but I doubt it is a big factor in any conference selection.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

Regardless of what department the FABULOUS SUPER PIT operates under should not matter at all when it comes to making improvements to the place such as:

The return of a very badly needed center score board.

Finishing repairs to the steps and sidewalk outside.

Simply placing an additional step at the first gate on the floor to the right of where the team sits. This is an immediate need and can be easily solved so that when VIP's such as Dan McCarney and his wife, but most important, our customers and donors, who enter the arena from the NORTH tunnel and try and walk behind the team bench to get up to their seats on the west side, doesn't continue to be embarrassingly stopped at the team bench and told to turn around and go back over and up the steps to the left of the tunnel, which forces them to wallk all the way up the stairs and around the tunnel to get to their seats on the opposite side This has been one of the most rediculous things I've witnessed repeated over the years that I can think of.

Retire Kenny Lyon's jersey.

If Vic Trill, a basketball coach working in the ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT, can get the place repainted and re-seated in Green, then there should be no excuse as to why any other improvement can't be met by our current leadership.

Rick