Joe Paterno dead at 85

greenjoe

Yes...it is confirmed. Rest in peace Coach Joe. It is a real shame that your career had to end the way it did. I hope folks will remember the many many good things you did for lots of players and their families and for Penn State and college football as a whole. Sorry to see it all end the way it did.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I like the way ESPN is handling this. It is a tribute to one of the greatest leaders in my lifetime. I am so glad he does not have to go through the legal mess and see another leader take over his team for a full season.

God bless the victims.

God bless JoPa.

I love college football and all that he did for the game that I love will be remembered forever.

GPSU

• Upvote 2

It's a shame the kids that his assistant molested won't get to face Joe Paterno and ask him why he didn't help stop him.

I don't care how many games he won. When all was said and done, he put his career above the lives of at-risk kids. His feeble explanations for inaction were horrible.

There, I said it. I said what needs to be said about people who turn a blind eye to child abuse. Scumbags.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I don't transfere follow this explanation. Paterno was a god in Happy Valley. He could have demanded almost anything and his job would have been fine,

But he would have had the mark on his record of hiring a child molester. That was just not gonna happen to Joepa. He wouldn't let it. So, he protected a child molester and died in disgrace.

Your dead on. TFLF. His legacy are the Multiple children that were molested after he made the decision to protect a friend and his own legacy. BIH

And he damn sure knew what happened. Sandusky was the heir apparent to JoePa. Shower incident in 1998 and Sandusky resigns in 1999 and never gets another gig coaching college ball, even with a great resume. JoePa protected himself and Penn St. while no doubt numerous other children were victimized by this piece of crap. That tells me everything I need to know about JoePa and his so called high moral code.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

But he would have had the mark on his record of hiring a child molester. That was just not gonna happen to Joepa. He wouldn't let it. So, he protected a child molester and died in disgrace.

It's sad Paterno went out the way he did, but he had no one to blame but himself. All he had to do was make sure the police were investigating Sandusky. Instead, he washed his hands of the matter after telling Curley and Schultz and Sandusky continued to have access to Penn State, teaching youth football camps there as recently as 2010.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

---If the kid involved had been a kid or grand-kid of yours.... you would be irate how it was handled. Any coach that knew of the "event" should have followed up to the point that something meaningful was done... and that means contacting the police... that may seem insensitive since he has died but it doesn't change what happened to those kids. Any person of good character would have done something besides what was done.

• Upvote 1

---If the kid involved had been a kid or grand-kid of yours.... you would be irate how it was handled. Any coach that knew of the "event" should have followed up to the point that something meaningful was done... and that means contacting the police... that may seem insensitive since he has died but it doesn't change what happened to those kids. Any person of good character would have done something besides what was done.

And the State of Pennslyvania flies the flag at half mast for this moralless hypocrite. Family even gets a call from Pres. Obama. Really????

It's really clear that other programs were warned away from Sandusky by Penn St., or that the rumor mill inside the college coaching community (which I would bet is very strong) knew at least a version of the shower incident, because Sandusky couldn't even get a high school gig after leaving Penn St. Successful Big 10 defensive coordinator with a national championship ring and he can't even get a high school gig? really?

• Upvote 1

Amazing how everyone who knew him can never praise his character and kindness enough, but those who know almost nothing about the man somehow have the insight to know he was a "moralless hypocrite." Simply amazing.

You mean like the college president and the chancellor that kept Joe's secret? I would argue that these people that you talk about either never knew the real Joe Paterno or they just can't bare the thought that Joe Paterno turned his back on young children who were continually getting anally penetrated by the penis of Jerry Sandusky.

Think about that. Think about the kid in the shower who thought "thank god, an adult saw this, now it will stop" only to find out that the adults didn't care enough to protect him. Think about the long lasting repercussions and trust issues just that one child will have for the rest of his life before you go hailing the great coach Joe Pa.

The President's call to the Paterno family and the flag at half mast is an additional slap in the face to every male child that had the experience of Jerry Sandusky's penis being inserted into their anus without their consent.

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 1

You mean like the college president and the chancellor that kept Joe's secret? I would argue that these people that you talk about either never knew the real Joe Paterno or they just can't bare the thought that Joe Paterno turned his back on young children who were continually getting anally penetrated by the penis of Jerry Sandusky.

Think about that. Think about the kid in the shower who thought "thank god, an adult saw this, now it will stop" only to find out that the adults didn't care enough to protect him. Think about the long lasting repercussions and trust issues just that one child will have for the rest of his life before you go hailing the great coach Joe Pa.

The President's call to the Paterno family and the flag at half mast is an additional slap in the face to every male child that had the experience of Jerry Sandusky's penis being inserted into their anus without their consent.

I'm talking about the 1000s of people whose lives Joe Paterno influenced for the better. He had several career opportunities that would have provided him more money and fame, but he stayed where he was able to do the most good. That doesn't cancel out his shortcoming with Sandusky, but there is far more to the man than this one incident. I'm glad that the people who know me do not judge my character entirely by one or two mistakes I've made in my life. And I've made a whole lot more than one or two, and several of them have been worse mistakes than JoePa's failure to do more than he did. Now, I don't think any of my mistakes involved as far-reaching consequences, but I have done things that have directly hurt people. I imagine you have too. As a matter of fact, it's been close to 2000 years since a human being has graced this globe who didn't. And as I recall, He gave Himself so people who did things wrong can be forgiven. Joe Paterno expressed repentance. It's not my place to forgive him, but it's not my place to condemn him, either. That's for the victims and the Lord to decide.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I'm talking about the 1000s of people whose lives Joe Paterno influenced for the better. He had several career opportunities that would have provided him more money and fame, but he stayed where he was able to do the most good. That doesn't cancel out his shortcoming with Sandusky, but there is far more to the man than this one incident. I'm glad that the people who know me do not judge my character entirely by one or two mistakes I've made in my life. And I've made a whole lot more than one or two, and several of them have been worse mistakes than JoePa's failure to do more than he did. Now, I don't think any of my mistakes involved as far-reaching consequences, but I have done things that have directly hurt people. I imagine you have too. As a matter of fact, it's been close to 2000 years since a human being has graced this globe who didn't. And as I recall, He gave Himself so people who did things wrong can be forgiven. Joe Paterno expressed repentance. It's not my place to forgive him, but it's not my place to condemn him, either. That's for the victims and the Lord to decide.

Ya, he influenced lives that made his job as a football coach better. That benefitted Joe Pa. Yet, when he was faced with the most important moral decision of his life, he at the very least checked out and at the most led a cover up to protect his legacy and a friend (much, much more likely) while continuing to allow that friend access to children on HIS campus. . That tells you all you need to know about his character.

Bet you wouldn't feel this way if you were the parent of one of the many children abused AFTER Joe Pa chose to just close his eyes.

Whatever you have done to hurt other people, I'm pretty sure it doesn't involve the sexual abuse of multiple children over years. Some things are worse than others. God may forgive him, but it's not like any of us know whether that's the case or not. He should die in shame, because what he did was shameful to his family, his employer, to the victims of Sandusky and to himself.

As for the bolded, that may be the exact logic Joe Pa used to justify his behavior to himself.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That makes sense, it was up to someone else to save Joe's rep. Both of them screwed this up and both should be accountable.

If you saw someone in your office molesting a child, would you put it on your boss to call the police or would you accept the responsibility yourself?

I don't understand how you can equate McQueary and Paterno. Yes they both sent the problem up the chain of command and let it go but Paterno did not see these heinous acts. If he had, I find it extremely hard to believe he would've sat idly by.

• Upvote 1

If you saw someone in your office molesting a child, would you put it on your boss to call the police or would you accept the responsibility yourself?

I don't understand how you can equate McQueary and Paterno. Yes they both sent the problem up the chain of command and let it go but Paterno did not see these heinous acts. If he had, I find it extremely hard to believe he would've sat idly by.

If protocol was to tell my boss, I would tell him and still call the police. But I would expect him to call the police as well. I someone came to me and asked what they should do, I would help them call the police and/or go down there with them myself.

I am not equating them, but both bear responsibility. Paterno knew that nothing had been done by his superiors and did nothing. He should have taken the cue there to make sure something happened. He continued to allow Sandusky on campus and to use facilities. Paterno had lots of power on that campus and used none of it to try to right the situation.

Edited by forevereagle
  • Upvote 1