Dec. 7th - A Day That Will Live in Infamy

Folks, today, Dec. 7th is Pearl Harbor day. You won't see that much about it on the news or in the papers any longer (other than a short mention here and there), but it is a day that will forever be etched in the memory of this great nation of ours. It reflects quite clearly what happens when a great nation forgets that it should always be prepared for the unexpected. So many lives lost that day in 1941 and so many would be lost in the days and years following the attack on Pearl Harbor. We must never forget and we must remember today those brave men and women who lost their lives on Dec. 7, 1941 and those who fought, were injured and/or died in the struggle that followed.

My sincere thanks go out to all who served in that great battle and to all who have served since, serve now and who will serve in the future. This nation is losing that "Greatest Generation" of men and women rather rapidly these days, but if you are fortunate enough to know someone who did serve during WWII, take a moment to shake their hand and tell them that you remember and that you will always remember the sacrifices they made and the conditions they endured to ensure freedom for the citizens of the United States and great part of the world.

Mat God bless and keep them one and all.

• Upvote 5

As a teacher with students who weren't even alive for 9/11, I can certainly appreciate your post.

For me, it's 9/11 that stays etched in my brain. But I will definitely be talking to my students about Pearl Harbor today.

Many thanks. Each generations seems to have it's "significant moment"....my Dad's was WWII (he flew in the China-Burma-India Theater...Flew the Hump as they say), mine was Viet Nam...the era in which I served...My son's is the Iraq/Afghanistan war...he has served in Iraq and remains on active duty...I have a nephew who is returning for the second time to Afghanistan after having served twice in Iraq...four tours in that combined conflict...and yes, there is 9/11...another fundamental security and intelligence failure on the part of the United States who felt "safe and secure" and who seems to all too soon forget the need to stay awake and vigilant at ALL TIMES.

Thanks for helping our youth remember those who served and those who now serve.

Many thanks. Each generations seems to have it's "significant moment"....my Dad's was WWII (he flew in the China-Burma-India Theater...Flew the Hump as they say), mine was Viet Nam...the era in which I served...My son's is the Iraq/Afghanistan war...he has served in Iraq and remains on active duty...I have a nephew who is returning for the second time to Afghanistan after having served twice in Iraq...four tours in that combined conflict...and yes, there is 9/11...another fundamental security and intelligence failure on the part of the United States who felt "safe and secure" and who seems to all too soon forget the need to stay awake and vigilant at ALL TIMES.

Thanks for helping our youth remember those who served and those who now serve.

My school flew the flags at half mast, but a bunch of my students were asking why.

At the end of each day's announcements are the "thoughts of the day" from the counselor. Today there was no thought of the day, and no mention of the significance of today. Disappointing.

As I said...so sad that so few mentions of this day and why it is important will be seen in the media outlets today. Your examples certainly prove the point...for local coverage check out the minor space given in the Dallas Morning News. Appreciate the links and the support for my view that so little is remembered about this day. Check out the response on the board from kalebschumann regarding the treatment given it at his school for further proof. Brush it off as "silly old man ranting" if you wish, but for those of us who "do" remember and are thankful for the sacrifices made, it is a very very somber and special day.

Thanks to all who do take it seriously and with the respect it so deserves.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

As I said...so sad that so few mentions of this day and why it is important will be seen in the media outlets today. Your examples certainly prove the point...for local coverage check out the minor space given in the Dallas Morning News. Appreciate the links and the support for my view that so little is remembered about this day. Check out the response on the board from kalebschumann regarding the treatment given it at his school for further proof. Brush it off as "silly old man ranting" if you wish, but for those of us who "do" remember and are thankful for the sacrifices made, it is a very very somber and special day.

Not saying Pearl Harbor is forgotten but it's been an awfully long time. We're going on 70 years now. Most people weren't even born during this event much less remember it. People that want to remember it will...I think it is a bit silly to call it 'so sad' that we apparently don't remember it the way you want everybody else too. Do you expect long specials on it the whole day? Most if not all students here learn it in grade school so I think everybody is aware of what Pearl Harbor is and yes I've seen enough quick hits about the anniversary today to know that it hasn't been forgotten.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

There are 33 pages of news hits (and counting.) It's a very somber day, but I feel like saying it's not being honored because of your conjecture and a random report from a school seems a little...off?

It is a very special and somber day, no matter who decides to grandstand about it on the internet.

Oh, and I know of several teachers who are using this as an opportunity to actually educate their own students about it. As long as no one decides to show the Michael Bay movie, we all win.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Not saying Pearl Harbor is forgotten but it's been an awfully long time. We're going on 70 years now. Most people weren't even born during this event much less remember it. People that want to remember it will...I think it is a bit silly to call it 'so sad' that we apparently don't remember it the way you want everybody else too. Do you expect long specials on it the whole day? Most if not all students here learn it in grade school so I think everybody is aware of what Pearl Harbor is and yes I've seen enough quick hits about the anniversary today to know that it hasn't been forgotten.

Clearly pointless to discuss further as evidenced by your post.

There are 33 pages of news hits (and counting.) It's a very somber day, but I feel like saying it's not being honored because of your conjecture and a random report from a school seems a little...off?

It is a very special and somber day, no matter who decides to grandstand about it on the internet.

Oh, and I know of several teachers who are using this as an opportunity to actually educate their own students about it. As long as no one decides to show the Michael Bay movie, we all win.

Very sad when people clearly do not understand. Points to why this great nation of ours has some of the problems it so clearly faes today. Not sure you know anything about it other than wanting to make light of it. So it goes. Sad. Enjoy your day...some paid for it dearly on Dec. 7th, 1941...grandstand my rear end. If pointing out the day is grandstanding, I want to lead the grandstading from this day forward. Pointless to discuss furher.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

Very sad when people clearly do not understand. Points to why this great nation of ours has some of the problems it so clearly faes today. Not sure you know anything about it other than wanting to make light of it. So it goes. Sad. Enjoy your day...some paid for it dearly on Dec. 7th, 1941...grandstand my rear end. If pointing out the day is grandstanding, I want to lead the grandstading from this day forward. Pointless to discuss furher.

I love your new Kramshield of conversation parameters.

If you need me, I'll be actually working to promote a few charity efforts and partnerships related to honoring and raising funds for veterans while you click your heels for the +1 attention fairy to recognize you as the guy who brought Pearl Harbor Day to GMG.

Also, very unfortunate typo on that last word. Very offensive.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

I love your new Kramshield of conversation parameters.

If you need me, I'll be actually working to promote a few charity efforts and partnerships related to honoring and raising funds for veterans while you click your heels for the +1 attention fairy to recognize you as the guy who brought Pearl Harbor Day to GMG.

Also, very unfortunate typo on that last word. Very offensive.

:sorcerer: +1

• Upvote 1

As is your entire post.

All I did was refute your claim that you won't see anything on the news with 33 pages (and counting) of news stories. People still care and commemorate this day and recognize what it means; despite what you have decied the media is or isn't doing. I didn't even mention the front page coverage on most newspapers, although I was disappointed the DMN decided to just rerun a wire story. Why does this offend you? Would it help if we called it Lraep Robrah day?

Only the "usual suspects" could turn a post commerating the significance of Dec. 7th into something else entirely. Proud of you guys. Nice job. Thanks.

Why can't you answer the perfectly logical question I just asked you besides hiding behind your generational force field? Why is your appreciation worth more than mine? I'd love an answer from the think tank.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Preemptive cutoff- My grandfather served in the Pacific during WWII, so don't bother accusing me of not understanding or recognizing the significance of Pearl Harbor Day.

I think some of us might take your indignation a little more seriously if:

1. It wasn't delivered in the same tone as your frustration/disapproval/outrage/fake voice of wisdom and reason over recruiting, helmet stickers, attendance, and the cruel, cruel injustice perpetrated against Oklahoma State's football team.

2. You'd legitimately engage and respond to (my perception, at least) the sequence of events.

-KRAM complains that the media isn't recognizing Pearl Harbor Day

-Quoner posts a link indicating more than 33 pages of results on news stories about Pearl Harbor Day.

-KRAM jumps to the conclusion that Quoner is mocking the day (when, if anything, he's mocking KRAM) and refuses to discuss the complaint that he first brought up.

From "You won't see much about it on the news or in the papers" to "Here's a link to 33 pages and counting of stories about it on the news and in the papers". To "THE USUAL SUSPECTS ARE AT IT AGAIN!!"

Explain the disconnect.

Proud that the F5 remembered last night. He knew both great grandfathers who served and sacrificed back then, so although it was only 70 years ago, even at the age of 10 he respects and appreciates what he has. He understands how our freedom was paid for by them and countless others before and after, and knows it is up to the rest of us to remember and honor those who sacrificed and teach those who may not know, how to.

Rick

• Upvote 1

Thanks to FFR for his appropriate comments...the rest...usual responses from the usual suspects. BTW, Tasty, if the "usual suspects" comment hit a tad close to home for you, that's your impression.

Nice that folks want to characterize other's comments, thoughts and attitudes while getting very defensive when it hits a bit close to them. Mirror time boys, mirror time.

Nice to know the world's axis hasn't changed.

Edit...Oh, forgot...Tasty, the only man alive who perceives perfect "tone" from internet postings...while other seem to miss it fairly often. How sanctimonious of you to point that out. How is it in "I'm so perfect land" these days? But, as has been said...you know I love you anyway.

Merry Christmas! :santa:

Edited by KRAM1
  • Downvote 5

Thanks to FFR for his appropriate comments...the rest...usual responses from the usual suspects. BTW, Tasty, if the "usual suspects" comment hit a tad close to home for you, that's your impression.

Nice that folks want to characterize other's comments, thoughts and attitudes while getting very defensive when it hits a bit close to them. Mirror time boys, mirror time.

Nice to know the world's axis hasn't changed.

Edit...Oh, forgot...Tasty, the only man alive who perceives perfect "tone" from internet postings...while other seem to miss it fairly often. How sanctimonious of you to point that out. How is it in "I'm so perfect land" these days? But, as has been said...you know I love you anyway.

Merry Christmas! :santa:

So, checked the mirror and I look great. Really been bringing it all together at the gym lately and doing a lot of running, so I feel good about me.

Also, this means you still have no answers to the perfectly valid questions, right? I bet the Oklahoma State boards don't treat you like this. After all, as this fellow Poke would say, you're much too young to feel this damn old.

garth-brooks-countrymusicislove.jpg

Oh, and if you missed it, there are some great new stories on how different communities honored the day and even more profiles in today's news cycle. You know, because this was a debate over whether or not the media covered this event and not a generational wankoff at one point.

• Upvote 1