Bowl Eligibility

foutsrouts

The tiebreaker is irrelevant. For the third SBC bowl, the game gets to choose from the "pool" of SBC bowl eligible teams (assuming the AQ conferences don't fill one of the spots). The BBVA Compass bowl, if they do need a Sun Belt team, has no obligation to take the third place team...they will take whoever will sell the most tickets.

Or whoever ESPN tells them to take. They do run college football after all

You know GOOD THINGS ARE HAPPENING FOR UNT when the board discussion turns to "bowl eligibility" and the Mean Green in the same thread! This, in itself, is enough to demonstrate that the program is heading in the right direction.

• Upvote 1

Let's win this weekend and then begin the Jihad that TCU so successfully pulled off a decade ago. Those Horned Frog fans went jihad on the Sun Bowl and were able to influence their eventual selection into the Sun Bowl vs USC. I was living in NM at the time and remember the frogs being relentless on the Sun Bowl site. I firmly believe they had an influence and then showed up in force to pull off one of their biggest upsets in Frog history. That was the beginning of their rise and I remember it like it was yesterday.

After we win this weekend lets get the details in order to blitz the bowls with open slots. Then we will have everyone watching us with a close eye when we line up against Middle Tennessee. They will be looking at how good we are, how many fans showed up for that final game, the momentum we will be riding and our length since our last bowl game. We have much work to do because they will probably look at our attendance against WKU and the season as a whole.

So many factors go into the invite and we all play a part. Start with increasing your number of attendees this Saturday, get the bowl contacts ready and let's cheer the team like heck to create a memorable first weekend in December!

GMG

• Upvote 2

Bowl Eligibility, taking over for conference realignment as the most viewed speculative thread on GMG.com.

Why don't we worry about it if/when we beat both WKU and MTSU.

We're fans! We're allowed to look into the future and think of what could be. The best part about being a fan is that you don't have to take it "one game at a time."

• Upvote 1

Also I feel that outside perception of the team will hurt by the fact that we have not beaten any good team. Yes I know the teams we lost to are all decent, but not one of the teams we beat so far is in sagarins top 100, or in presnapreads top 100.

agreed. that makes this game against WK even more important.

We can win the next 2 and not get a second look if we don't draw more fans for the games. That is what will count. 13K and 18K just don't impress people. Sorry, it's true.

On the other hand, it could be said our fans show up for stuff that matters. If we go bowling, we'll travel as well or better than the majority of the sun belt.

On the other hand, it could be said our fans show up for stuff that matters. If we go bowling, we'll travel as well or better than the majority of the sun belt.

It's been 7 years since we've "traveled well." And that was after 3 previous years of building a fan base...

I don't think we'd travel any better or worse than the other SBC teams to a bowl game.

I don't see us making a bowl game this year, but that doesn't mean we haven't been successful. We have had a great season. The team has made huge strides in the right direction and I believe that Coach Mac will have us in a bowl game before too long.

It's been 7 years since we've "traveled well." And that was after 3 previous years of building a fan base...

I don't think we'd travel any better or worse than the other SBC teams to a bowl game.

We didn't "lose" the fan base we built in those three years. They just had better things to do than watch a HS coach learn the college ropes on the job, while amassing the worst losing streak in school history.

Win 6 games, go to a bowl... fans will follow. Fans are hungry for a winner, which is why donations are up, season ticket sales are up, etc. Nobody goes out of their way to support a loser.

Let's make our own bowl games like Boise State, Fresno State, and New Mexico did. It would really show off Apogee to the college football world. Um...Fort Worth Bowl on the campus at TCU? Anyone? Anyone?

This is thinking big.

See? You see what happened there? I thought outside the box. The box. The other schools had the wherewhithal to put a bowl game on their campuses.

Let's do it. We could name it after our heritage - The Son of Worm Bowl! Or, The O'Clock Jazz Bowl.

Or, The I Remember Getting Drunk At The Flying Tomato Then Stumbling Over To Riprock's To Get More Drunk Then Stumbling Down To Rick's Place To See If There Was Any Good Live Music And Drinking Some More Then Stumbling Up To O'Tays To See If My Girlfriend Was There And If Not Her Maybe One Of Her Girlfriends Or Some Other Random Hot North Texas Girl For A Nightcap Bowl.

• Upvote 1

Gota get to 6 wins first.

As for going to a bowl game, it is all up the the specific bowl committees. It would be great just to make 6 wins for the season. It would be icing on the cake to actually get an invite to a bowl game in Mac's first year.

We traveled well to all four of our NO Bowls. We'd travel well again for a bowl this year if the opportunity were to preset itself.

We traveled well to all four of our NO Bowls. We'd travel well again for a bowl this year if the opportunity were to preset itself.

If we made it to a bowl then there's no guarantee we'd travel well. Keep in mind that New Orleans was a perfect destination as it wasn't that far and the fact that it is a destination city. Say we get invited to a bowl in Detroit, Michigan or somewhere really far and/or undesirable I highly doubt that we would be traveling well.