Bowl Eligibility

foutsrouts

you are just being a kill joy that why i -1'd you... if we get 6 wins we'll have a chance... ASU and ULL are going to a bowl game thats a lock, but if FIU, WKU, and NT all have 6 wins.... the bowl will decide.... who knows how it will work out we have 3 more weeks...

ill settle for a 6-6 season regardless of a bowl game or not...

After wk 1 vs FIU i was expecting a 2-10 year! Great turn around for Coach Mac! GMG 4 Life

6 wins would be great. Guess we'll have to just agree to disagree.

• Upvote 3

Something strange and uncomfortable about rooting against the Navy, Army and Air Force.

Oh well, GMG!

The service academies are 3 schools I absolutely refuse to root against no matter who they are playing, even UNT...

I wanted UNT to beat both Navy and Army in recent games, but I couldn't root against...

I hope all 3 make bowl games every year...

That being said, I was merely stating a way for the Belt to get a 4th bowl team...

If we get to 6-6, New Orleans has first pick, they will take the Cajuns. The Godaddy bowl has to take the champion, so they'll take ASU. The sun belt has a secondary tie in with the Little Ceasers bowl which is MAC No. 1 vs. Big ten #8 or Sun belt if there is not 8 eligible teams in the big ten. The big ten already has 8 eligible teams with two games to play, and two more with 5 wins. Unfortunately, the other secondary tie in the sun belt had in the past is no longer current. The MAC is the back-up for the BBVA Compass Bowl.

Even if we go 6-6, I really don't think we'll recieve a bowl bid. I'm pretty sure I read that 74 teams already have at least 6 wins. It would be a amazing if we got to 6-6, and a miracle if we got a bowl invite.

If we get to 6-6, New Orleans has first pick, they will take the Cajuns. The Godaddy bowl has to take the champion, so they'll take ASU. The sun belt has a secondary tie in with the Little Ceasers bowl which is MAC No. 1 vs. Big ten #8 or Sun belt if there is not 8 eligible teams in the big ten. The big ten already has 8 eligible teams with two games to play, and two more with 5 wins. Unfortunately, the other secondary tie in the sun belt had in the past is no longer current. The MAC is the back-up for the BBVA Compass Bowl.

Even if we go 6-6, I really don't think we'll recieve a bowl bid. I'm pretty sure I read that 74 teams already have at least 6 wins. It would be a amazing if we got to 6-6, and a miracle if we got a bowl invite.

1) There are only 55 bowl eligible teams right now, and 34 still have a mathematical chance of getting to 6.

2) The SBC no longer has a tie to the Little Caesars Bowl.

3) The SBC has a secondary tie in with the BBVA Compass Bowl if the Big East does not have 5 bowl eligible teams, or if the SEC does not have 9. The Big East currently has 3 with the prospect of 6 more mathematically. The SEC currently has 6 with the prospect of 5 more mathematically.

4)Military Academies losing is good for our Bowl Hopes. For instance, Army has a 2011 tie in to the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl in San Francisco. They will be unable to fill that committment. The ACC #9 is a secondary agreement for that bowl. The ACC currently has 6, with 3 more mathematically possible.

The possibilities are out there, we just need things to fall our way.

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 1

Just some of the games I will root next week

Minnesota to upset northwestern

Fresno state to beat Hawaii (possibility the WAC does not get 3 bowl eligible)

Idaho to beat Utah state (same reason)

Colorado to upset UCLA

UNLV to beat air force

Tulsa to beat UTEP

Memphis to upset Marshall

But all in all I fear that the number of eligble teams will be a bit high for UNT to receive a bid. I guess there will be 5 to 10 eligible teams left out in the end. So even if UNT makes it to 6-6 the chances are slim. If it is only 75 eligible teams, chances are certainly better than if that number approaches 80 (70 bowl spots overall)

Also I feel that outside perception of the team will hurt by the fact that we have not beaten any good team. Yes I know the teams we lost to are all decent, but not one of the teams we beat so far is in sagarins top 100, or in presnapreads top 100.

OK Mr. outoftown, we get it...you do not think North Texas will receive a bowl bid. Just one more post on that subject by you would confirm it. :rolleyes::)

Most on this board see 4, 5 or 6 wins as reason to believe the Dan McCarney Era is off on more than just a good foot; and that after years of extremely imbalanced recruiting classes of which the 5 (TDodge) classses prior to DMac's arrival were weighted down with way too many RB's, WR's and DB's recruits along with Coach Dickey's last 2 classes which were no where close to his 2'nd & 3'rd recruiting classes which (as I recall) were quite good.

A record of 6 & 6 for a bowl game? Never say never or that it "can't be done" because (albeit) in another era a Hayden Fry coached team over in Dallas went to a bowl game with 4 wins plus...North Texas has proven to many at ESPN that it can travel quite well with thousands of Mean Green fans while some schools will bring "hundreds of fans" (U of Cincy' for one) so don't think that that won't figure into some of this since ESPN is also running the show on most all things relating to who gets invited to bowl games, too; even with a log jam of 6 and 6 teams to boot.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Great win! Incredible turn-around season! Let's win the last two at home! We need the entire Mean Green Nation!

Second the emotion. Get everyone you know that has even worn a green shirt to the WKU game. This is the BIGGEST GAME EVER in Apogee. Students that monitor this board get the word out that Apogee is the place to be Sat. @ 6. Come early, BE LOUD, stay late to celebrate :sword:

i thought the New Orleans Bowl got 1st pick if there was a tie for belt championship, otherwise they get the conference winner. ASU has a 2 game lead over ULL with 2 to play. would not ASU get the New Orleans Bowl and ULL the Godaddy bowl? just asking.

One thing that could help the Belt get an extra team into bowl, whether it be UNT or WKU is the down year the service academies are having...

They are automatically tied to at least one bowl and I think maybe a second one...

Right now Army can finish no better than 5-7...

Navy has to win out to finish 6-6...

If Air Force were to lose out they would finish 5-7...

So, it is conceivable that there will be no service academies in bowl games this year...

That's how the Belt gets an extra bowl team...

What happens to the Armed Forces Bowl at Ford Stadium? We could pack that place!!!

i thought the New Orleans Bowl got 1st pick if there was a tie for belt championship, otherwise they get the conference winner. ASU has a 2 game lead over ULL with 2 to play. would not ASU get the New Orleans Bowl and ULL the Godaddy bowl? just asking.

New Orleans gets first pick of any Bowl Eligible Sun Belt team (this year, Go Daddy gets it next year). If New Orleans does not take the winner, then the GoDaddy.com Bowl is obligated to do so. The New Orleans Bowl will be inviting ULL, which means ASU will be invited to Mobile. The third bowl, the BBVA Compass Bowl is a secondary tie in. If the AQ conference cannot fill their spot, that bowl has their pick of any SBC bowl eligible team, which right now is FIU, with WKU and NT a possibility.

I have to believe if all three end up eligible, regardless or record, their wish list will be WKU, NT, then FIU, going off of potential ticket sales. WKU and NT also provide a better story to market than an FIU team with a non-existent fan base that fell off the football map in the middle of the year after starting undefeated.

the fact that we are even having this discussion shows how far we have come this season regardless of our final record.

At the beginning of the season, I felt that a good year would be 3-4 wins, considering our line size and QB inexperience, not to mention losing a playmaker at WR in Carey. I even went so far as to say that if we won 5 games or more that Mac should be Coach of the Year in the SBC. Well, Hugh Freeze has that one locked up, as he should, but the job Mac has done here, so far, is borderline miraculous to me. Maybe its been all the losing over the last 6 years, but I just cannot believe this program has a chance to win two home games to finish .500 overall with the overall talent here right now. Those guys on this team have finally begun to see the rewards of having an experienced coach that has instilled pride and heart in them. I truly believe that we will win at least one of these last two games and finish with at least 5 wins. To put that in perspective, if we win both, this would mean that we have more wins in Coach Mac's first year here than we have won in all but three years (2002-2004) since we made it back up to 1-A status in 1995.

If the folks at CUSA can't see this and what it means for our future, then I think we will never be invited to their league. And it will be the MWC that will be the big winner for that short-sightedness. But, I really believe that CUSA ain't that stupid--they are gonna raid the SBC to move back to 12 and we are going to be in that group.

Bowl eligibilty means just that...

You have the minimum number of wins necessary for you to be eligible to get an invite...

In no way does it imply that you are guaranteed to be invited or even considered for a bowl game...

Last year 2 teams who were bowl eligible were left out...

6-6 Western Michigan was certainly no surprise...

But, 8-4 Temple was flat out snubbed... Their 8 wins included a 30-16 pounding of Big East champion Connecticut...

What killed Temple was the fact that they don't draw well at home, and gained a reputation as a team that doesn't travel well when they had a pitiful fan showing at the 2009 EagleBank Bowl where they lost to UCLA...

More goes into bowl invites than just wins and losses... A bowl has to try and make money, so it wants teams that have large fan bases that will travel... And usually the best way to assure that is for the bowl game to be reasonably close and easy to get to... As opposed to the Humanitarian Bowl... Or even the Hawaii Bowl...

Personally I am of the opinion that 7-5 should be the bare minimum for bowl eligibility, but since there are so many bowls they have to fill them with 6-6 teams...

If UNT gets invited to a bowl game with a 6-6 season, great... It gives me one more game to watch...

But I don't expect it and, deep down, I don't really think they deserve it...

Agreed. If we beat W. Kentucky and both go 6-6 though, we have the tie-breaker there for a third SBC bowl game.

The tiebreaker is irrelevant. For the third SBC bowl, the game gets to choose from the "pool" of SBC bowl eligible teams (assuming the AQ conferences don't fill one of the spots). The BBVA Compass bowl, if they do need a Sun Belt team, has no obligation to take the third place team...they will take whoever will sell the most tickets.

• Upvote 2