Kustra on Possible CUSA Replacements

UNTflyer

First, why does someone from Boise State know what CUSA is thinking? That makes no sense what so ever. I would like to know the context in which he said it as I don't think that would be a normal part of the breifing about BSU's board approving him to search for a new conference.

Second, UTEP would totally flip out - their relationship with NMSU is similar to La Tech and La-Mo.

• Upvote 3

Bad for us, but SJSU & USU to MW and LA Tech & NMSU to CUSA would certainly kill off the WAC. I've heard the same thing about the UTEP/NMSU relationship, so it doesn't seem likely.

Idaho will be the biggest loser in realignment.

I started a thread wondering where these "we're in because we're in DFW" declarations came from and I got blasted for not falling in line with the "potential" line of thinking. We all know what was once said about potential...

I will believe we're in when UNT President Lane Rawlins or AD Rick V tells us we're in.

If there are CUSA additions I do believe our chances are as good as any other school I've seen listed, though, but the conference of our so called dreams has evaded North Texas most my adult life. CUSA w/o UH or SMU will still be an upgrade IMHO.

GMG!

Question To Anyone: :(

How do you download a photo in your posts such as the Daingerfield photo?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I normally find myself taking a more pessimistic role when it comes to my sports teams. But, I really believe that we are more than likely CUSA bound, unless OUR AD and Pres have other plans.

I do believe that the potential TV markets are driving a lot of these changes. And, I think that CUSA is going to prefer adding schools that already have top notch stadiums and facilities in place or in progress. There are no guarantees when a school says they are expecting to upgrade their facilities soon. Look how long it took us.

I don't believe that our recent downturn in FB is going to cause a problem. Our athletic budget is up and potential is going to factor in large when it comes to CUSA additions (if any).

Even though I consider myself a pessimist, I think there is a 50% chance we get into CUSA if they only add 1 team. If they add 3 teams, I bet our changes are better than 80%. However, there is always a slight chance that our leaders now see the CUSA as potentially not being much of an upgrade and they may have their sights set on staying in a strengthened Sun Belt or perhaps even the MWC.

My money is on us getting an invite to CUSA. It just makes to much sense all the way around.

• Upvote 1

"Wow. Kustra says C-USA's losses would have them grab LaTech and New Mexico State."

http://twitter.com/#!/murphsturph

he is feeling guilty knowing that when they and Air Force leave they will be replaced by 2 WAC schools, SJSU and Utah State, which only leaves La. Tech, New Mexico State, and Idaho left as current WAC members. Funny he didn't mention the Vandals.

• Upvote 1

This is some sort of misquote. In the first place why would he care about CUSA's losses? Boise State has never been a part of that conference. I assume that he meant the MWC; the conference that he may be leaving.

Except for location and the fact that they haven't expressed interest in the MWC, Louisiana Tech would be a decent replacement. NMSU, on the other hand, would be a tough call. They have one of the poorest all-time football records in Division IA. They struggle to average 15,000 attendance. They have good basketball but so does Utah State and they have even better attendance. Funny, Utah State and San Jose State weren't mentioned. Several reports have speculated that they would be the replacements for Boise and Air Force should they leave.

It appears that either the columnist or the BSU president made a Freudian slip.

Edited by GrayEagle

Cusa not an upgrade over the Sun Belt?... If that is what your leadership thinks, its time for new leadership. Lol.

I agree. CUSA would most definately an upgrade right now. I was basically alluding to the slight possiblity that either CUSA will be downgrading due to more defections (hopefully not) and/or the Sun Belt would be upgrading with additions (very unlikely).

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 1

Our president Dr. Lane Rawlins who had the same position at U of Memphis helped to organize CUSA is my understanding.

If this is true, I'm confused. I think one thing we can all agree on is that we are clearly an excellent candidate for realignment. Not being mentioned as a candidate makes no sense, maybe it is a leadership thing..

• Upvote 1

There is another possibilty for Kustra's remarks. He is known to hate University of Idaho with a white hot passion since Idaho has tried repeated to keep Boise from growing academically if they can't stop them athletically. If you look at what Kustra said: SJSU and USU are going to the MWC and NMSU and La Tech to the CUSA which leaves UI as the only real FSC program left in the WAC. That would probably force IU to drop to FCS ball which would be icing on the cake to Kustra.

I still can't see NMSU getting into CUSA with UTEP staying and UTEP has repeated said they prefer CUSA and playing Texas teams over playing close MWC teams.