Tidbits from Mac Coaches Show Tonight

Harry

We understand the concept. We also understand that during games McNulty is awful. It's hard to imagine Osborn being worse. So, give him a shot as well. There's nothing to lose. We already know McNulty can't move the offense until we're being blown out and the opponent takes their foot off the gas.

See? You see what happened there? You restated your argument and I restated mine. I don't agree with you, and you don't agree with me...and, that's fine. And, yet...McNulty still can't move the ball during games no matter what he does in practice.

Does anyone remember when Chris Simms and Major Applewhite were at Texas. One was taller and had the stronger arm ( not to mention the NFL blood lines). The other just won football games.

I would also like to propose a theory, which I mostly believe in. And that theory has to do with coach's egos. Despite their protests to the contrary, coaches are very aware of the opinions of the rank and file fans (especially these days). And just like Doctors, Lawyers, and CEO's of big companies, their egos can be so big that they automatically dismiss any critical remarks or suggestions that come from the ranks of the "regular people". In many cases to their own detriment and downfall (which is how big egos should always end up).

So, I think that when a significant amount of critical remarks come from the "regular" fan base about coaching decisions (ie, who to play or not) most Coaches let their egos take over, and players who otherwise could make a difference in a game are not given their opportunity. And all just because of ego.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I think you answered your own question. If McNulty is the guy for the future, he needs the game time.

It's pretty much a prerequisite to have talent to be the QB of the future. Just have not seen that yet. I'm sure we will see plenty more of him regardless. Just hope the ugliness doesn't continue indefinitely without someone pulling the plug. That could lead to an ugly situation all around.

Does anyone remember when Chris Simms and Major Applewhite were at Texas. One was taller and had the stronger arm ( not to mention the NFL blood lines). The other just won football games.

I would also like to propose a theory, which I mostly believe in. And that theory has to do with coach's egos. Despite their protests to the contrary, coaches are very aware of the opinions of the rank and file fans (especially these days). And just like Doctors, Lawyers, and CEO's of big companies, their egos can be so big that they automatically dismiss any critical remarks or suggestions that come from the ranks of the "regular people". In many cases to their own detriment and downfall (which is how big egos should always end up).

So, I think that when a significant amount of critical remarks come from the "regular" fan base about coaching decisions (ie, who to play or not) most Coaches let their egos take over, and players who otherwise could make a difference in a game are not given their opportunity. And all just because of ego.

If a coaching staff lets the angry mob determine playing time decisions, they shouldn't be coaching.

How many of us are running their practices, calling their plays, and have 30 years of college football coaching experience? Didn't we all prepare ourselves for a 4 or 5 win season? I personally predicted 5 wins. Predictions are worth nothing, I know...other than maybe setting our expectations coming in.

We are all very disappointed with some of the games this year, guys(especially DT's) leaving the team, and this latest round of realignment not involving us... We are ALL pissed. I get it.

This fanbase thinking they can make better decisions than this experienced coaching staff is absolutely laughable.

I seriously don't know why I keep letting these stupid threads draw me offsides... but here I am again. I can't express to you how silly these threads look. I guess this is just explained as we don't have much good news lately with all that is going on with us and around us.

Here's to Meaner, Greener Pastures in the near future. Maybe this is just the way you guys deal with disappointment. I don't know. Seems pretty silly to me...

Edited by SHOSS
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Remember back in the mid-aughts when the Cowboys had this scrappy Romo kid and a coach named Bill Parcells? And Parcells kept insisting he saw giant red flags in practice about this guy that had to be fixed before he put him on the field? Now, I'm hazy, but didn't he come in and produce results while continuing to do some of the things that irritated his coach? Wasn't Parcells beaten up to high hell despite his skins on the wall and the benefit of hind-sight to make it look like he had a point? Wasn't there another QB on the roster Parcells had a previous relationship with?

Was he the best QB on the roster? Should he have been developed more carefully and the final bad habits ironed out? Has this approach held him back in his career today? I was no big fan of Parcells, but looking back, his point is a lot more obvious to me now than it was then.

It's crazy, but maybe coaches do know best and see things we miss while we look for guys to throw TDs.

No. False. Your analogy only works if Mac puts in Ozzy for the rest of the season then the entire staff leaves no one but Ozzy's best buddy to keep him in check.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

If a coaching staff lets the angry mob determine playing time decisions, they shouldn't be coaching.

How many of us are running their practices, calling their plays, and have 30 years of college football coaching experience? Didn't we all prepare ourselves for a 4 or 5 win season? I personally predicted 5 wins. Predictions are worth nothing, I know...other than maybe setting our expectations coming in.

We are all very disappointed with some of the games this year, guys(especially DT's) leaving the team, and this latest round of realignment not involving us... We are ALL pissed. I get it.

This fanbase thinking they can make better decisions than this experienced coaching staff is absolutely laughable.

I seriously don't know why I keep letting these stupid threads draw me offsides... but here I am again. I can't express to you how silly these threads look. I guess this is just explained as we don't have much good news lately with all that is going on with us and around us.

Here's to Meaner, Greener Pastures in the near future. Maybe this is just the way you guys deal with disappointment. I don't know. Seems pretty silly to me...

Yep, and all of those foolish dingbats who questioned TD when he brought in all of his high school coaching buddies to run a D1A program his first year should be shot. No one should ever question authority, because they are the authority, and nothing can be done about it. The right thing to do is to quietly sit back and passively let the "smart people" run the show, because they are smarter and more ethical than the rest of us and never make mistakes. This is the philosophy which made our country great.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Yep, and all of those foolish dingbats who questioned TD when he brought in all of his high school coaching buddies to run a D1A program his first year should be shot. No one should ever question authority, because they are the authority, and nothing can be done about it. The right thing to do is to quietly sit back and passively let the "smart people" run the show, because they are smarter and more ethical than the rest of us and never make mistakes. This is the philosophy which made our country great.

...not to mention our athletic program.

• Upvote 1

Yep Silver, same deal. Mac Brown kept his word to Pappa Sims, and it cost the Horns at least a shot at a national championship. Difference between Applewhite and McNulty is that Applewhite did not look good in practice. Perhaps it was the circle drill he had a hard time with.

Remember back in the mid-aughts when the Cowboys had this scrappy Romo kid and a coach named Bill Parcells? And Parcells kept insisting he saw giant red flags in practice about this guy that had to be fixed before he put him on the field? Now, I'm hazy, but didn't he come in and produce results while continuing to do some of the things that irritated his coach? Wasn't Parcells beaten up to high hell despite his skins on the wall and the benefit of hind-sight to make it look like he had a point? Wasn't there another QB on the roster Parcells had a previous relationship with?

Was he the best QB on the roster? Should he have been developed more carefully and the final bad habits ironed out? Has this approach held him back in his career today? I was no big fan of Parcells, but looking back, his point is a lot more obvious to me now than it was then.

I'm confused about the moral of your story. Having Tony Romo as the Cowboys quarterback is the happy ending? Shouldn't we be angry at the Tuna for not stopping Romo early and saving us a lot of suffering?

• Downvote 1

It isn't too far fetched to make the argument that the following 10 former qbs on our roster could have matched or bettered McNulty's performance thus far. There is no evidence that he is a D1A qb prospect other than reports from a closed practice conducted by one of his father's best friends.

1.)3-Star Rivals athlete 4.5 40yd dash

.......... Rushing ................. Passing

Statistics Att.. Yds Avg TD PA. PC Pct. Yds.. TD Int

2007 (Sr.) 247 1,921 7.8 22 136 76 55.9 1,021 12 5

Named to 2007 Super List for HS quarterbacks by 5ATexasFootball.com … Rated No. 53 on the Dallas Morning News area top 100 list

-James Hamilton

2.)2-Star Rivals dual-threat qb 4.6 40yd dash

..........Rushing ...................Passing

Year ......Att Yds.. Avg TD PA. PC .Pct .Yds.. TD Int

2007 (Sr.) 154 1,223 7.9 12 172 107 62.2 1,538 14 6

Greater Houston Top 50 senior prospect by TexasPrepInsider.com … Houston-area top 50 by rivals.com … Ranked as one of the top six “athletes” in the area by the Houston Chronicle -Jeremy Phillips

3.)2-star rivals dual threat qb 4.58 40yd dash

Completed 155-of-224 passes for 1,911 yards, 18 TD’s and four interceptions in 2009 … Also rushed for 833 yards on 109 carries and nine TD’s -Derrick Teegarden

4.)Threw 70 touchdowns and 8,000 yards in three years as the quarterback for Ellison High School 4.6 40yd dash; At Scout combine 2007 in Dallas, "The top player at the combine was probably Oklahoma State commitment Kody Spano. There were a number of other players who could be considered as the strongest player at the position. Jerome Tiller and Ivan Delgado both have tremendous frames and they tested very well. Delgado ran a 4.6 in the forty and showed a strong arm in the one-on-one part of the competition"

5.) Was the District 9-4A Offensive MVP his senior season with 1,632 yards passing and 1,540 yards rushing ***4.65 40yd dash....-Chase Baine

6.)As a senior, Dodson threw for 2,361 yards and 24 touchdowns. He also rushed for four scores. -John Dodson

7.)Rivals 3-star 4.8 40yd dash

Was named District 6-2A MVP his senior season … Threw for 2,418 yards and 29 touchdowns and added six scores on the ground … Was nominated for the Army All-American Bowl and received honorable hention all-state honors -Cooper Jones

8.)Rivals 2-star out of HS Led the Rams to the Class 5A state playoffs three consecutive years, compiling a record of 26-9 in that span... went 10-2 his senior year, including a perfect 7-0 mark winning the 5A Region 2 championship... named to the Opelika-Auburn News ‘Super 8’ team... selected to the Valley-Times News ‘Super 25’ team that encompasses East Alabama/West Georgia... First Team Class 5A All-State.passed for 787 yards and completed 54 percent of his passes in a run-oriented offense... rushed for more than 100 yards his senior year... passed for 12 touchdowns and ran for another six.-Brent Osborn

9.)

.............Passing

Year ......PA. PC Pct. Yds ..TD Int

2009 (Sr.) 146 85 58.2 1,284 12 4

313 Rushing yards

-Michael Stojkovic

10.) Rivals 2-star athlete 4.5 40yd dash

........Rushing............. Passing

Year .....Att Yds TD ..PA PC Yds TD Int

2007 (Sr.) 87 307 5 ..134 69 878 7 .5

-Willie Taylor

11.)rushed for 1,137 yards and 14 TDs, and passed for 1,438 and 12 TDs (5 INTs). -Andrew McNulty

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I'm confused about the moral of your story. Having Tony Romo as the Cowboys quarterback is the happy ending? Shouldn't we be angry at the Tuna for not stopping Romo early and saving us a lot of suffering?

The point was SOME coaches see things we don't and have an idea of what it takes to win. If there was an easy way to develop a QB, more teams would have good ones. Parcells saw flaws in Romo fans didn't see because he knew they would be exposed later as teams studied him the way he did every day. If Romo had actually been coached and held to the high standards put on him early throughout the rest of his career, maybe he'd have kicked some of his bad habits that hold him back by now. I just liked this as a local example of a coach getting blasted by fans and ultimately being proven right.

I bailed on Dodge in year 2 (way before it was cool), but just haven't seen a reason to bail on McCarney yet. The conspiracy theories are fun and I love that we've started a new trend of playing "find the nepotism," but I don't think there's a guy on the roster who sets himself apart from the others overall, so everyone is falling victim to small sample sizes and fun narratives.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

It isn't too far fetched to make the argument that the following 10 former qbs on our roster could have matched or bettered McNulty's performance thus far. There is no evidence that he is a D1A qb prospect other than reports from a closed practice conducted by one of his father's best friends.

Named to 2007 Super List for HS quarterbacks by 5ATexasFootball.com … Rated No. 53 on the Dallas Morning News area top 100 list

-James Hamilton

Greater Houston Top 50 senior prospect by TexasPrepInsider.com … Houston-area top 50 by rivals.com … Ranked as one of the top six “athletes” in the area by the Houston Chronicle -Jeremy Phillips

Completed 155-of-224 passes for 1,911 yards, 18 TD’s and four interceptions in 2009 … Also rushed for 833 yards on 109 carries and nine TD’s -Derrick Teegarden

4.)Threw 70 touchdowns and 8,000 yards in three years as the quarterback for Ellison High School 4.6 40yd dash; At Scout combine 2007 in Dallas, "The top player at the combine was probably Oklahoma State commitment Kody Spano. There were a number of other players who could be considered as the strongest player at the position. Jerome Tiller and Ivan Delgado both have tremendous frames and they tested very well. Delgado ran a 4.6 in the forty and showed a strong arm in the one-on-one part of the competition"

5.) Was the District 9-4A Offensive MVP his senior season with 1,632 yards passing and 1,540 yards rushing ***4.65 40yd dash....-Chase Baine

6.)As a senior, Dodson threw for 2,361 yards and 24 touchdowns. He also rushed for four scores. -John Dodson

Was named District 6-2A MVP his senior season … Threw for 2,418 yards and 29 touchdowns and added six scores on the ground … Was nominated for the Army All-American Bowl and received honorable hention all-state honors -Cooper Jones

8.)Rivals 2-star out of HS Led the Rams to the Class 5A state playoffs three consecutive years, compiling a record of 26-9 in that span... went 10-2 his senior year, including a perfect 7-0 mark winning the 5A Region 2 championship... named to the Opelika-Auburn News ‘Super 8’ team... selected to the Valley-Times News ‘Super 25’ team that encompasses East Alabama/West Georgia... First Team Class 5A All-State.passed for 787 yards and completed 54 percent of his passes in a run-oriented offense... rushed for more than 100 yards his senior year... passed for 12 touchdowns and ran for another six.-Brent Osborn

9.)

.............Passing

313 Rushing yards

-Michael Stojkovic

-Willie Taylor

11.)rushed for 1,137 yards and 14 TDs, and passed for 1,438 and 12 TDs (5 INTs). -Andrew McNulty

You have to throw in that Osborn then went JUCO, led the team to a 9-1 record while completing more than 61% of his passes.

Otherwise...yeah, continuing to go with McNulty looks like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Osborn and Cooper Jones are the most highly touted of the bunch. You hope they get an opportunity.

• Upvote 1

-James Hamilton

Greater Houston Top 50 senior prospect by TexasPrepInsider.com … Houston-area top 50 by rivals.com … Ranked as one of the top six "athletes" in the area by the Houston Chronicle -Jeremy Phillips

Completed 155-of-224 passes for 1,911 yards, 18 TD's and four interceptions in 2009 … Also rushed for 833 yards on 109 carries and nine TD's -Derrick Teegarden

8.)Rivals 2-star out of HS Led the Rams to the Class 5A state playoffs three consecutive years, compiling a record of 26-9 in that span... went 10-2 his senior year, including a perfect 7-0 mark winning the 5A Region 2 championship... named to the Opelika-Auburn News 'Super 8' team... selected to the Valley-Times News 'Super 25' team that encompasses East Alabama/West Georgia... First Team Class 5A All-State.passed for 787 yards and completed 54 percent of his passes in a run-oriented offense... rushed for more than 100 yards his senior year... passed for 12 touchdowns and ran for another six.-Brent Osborn

9.)

.............Passing

313 Rushing yards

-Michael Stojkovic

-Willie Taylor

11.)rushed for 1,137 yards and 14 TDs, and passed for 1,438 and 12 TDs (5 INTs). -Andrew McNulty. Father is best buddies with FBS coach who was the only one to offer.

Finished the biography for ya. B)

-James Hamilton

9.)

.............Passing

313 Rushing yards

-Michael Stojkovic

-Willie Taylor

Very good post.

You have to throw in that Osborn then went JUCO, led the team to a 9-1 record while completing more than 61% of his passes.

Otherwise...yeah, continuing to go with McNulty looks like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Osborn and Cooper Jones are the most highly touted of the bunch. You hope they get an opportunity.

I wasn't familiar with Cooper Jones.

I will say after watching the MG Insider, and I am sure this was edited to highlight McNulty's positives, he didn't look too bad. He had a couple of good runs showing good speed and stepped into his TD throw putting a lot on the throw. I would still like to see Osborn get a shot based upon his past performances in games.

I also heard Jones was being moved.