Season Predictions

sparkmank

Columbia is better than Loyola Marymount...they're the bigger concern in the Cali Tourney.

I say we lose to Texas on a questionable last second foul call. Those games tend to be more memorable around here.

Seriously, I can't wait for the UT game...Jones and Alzee against Myck Kabongo and J'Covan Brown is gonna be fun to watch. It seems everything worked out in Rick Barnes' favor here though...last game of a tough 4 game roadie, no Tony Mitchell...

Mind you if JJ doesn't win he should be fired and forced to drive back to Denton from far south Austin on 35 at 5:02PM on a rainy Friday afternoon.

• Upvote 1

I say we lose to Texas on a questionable last second foul call.

Mind you if JJ doesn't win he should be fired and forced to drive back to Denton from far south Austin on 35 at 5:02PM on a rainy Friday afternoon.

i visited the City of Austin Referee School for the Blind and they were doing their walkthroughs for this game. It appears Kedrik is going to get ejected with about 3 minutes to go... also looks like Alzee will be the one guilty of the touching foul behind the arc with 5 seconds on the clock while we have a 1 point lead. They plan to allow Texas to already be in the bonus with about 12 minutes to go in the 2nd half.

what a tough way for a guy to get fired and make a bad drive home.

Columbia is better than Loyola Marymount...they're the bigger concern in the Cali Tourney.

I say we lose to Texas on a questionable last second foul call. Those games tend to be more memorable around here.

Seriously, I can't wait for the UT game...Jones and Alzee against Myck Kabongo and J'Covan Brown is gonna be fun to watch. It seems everything worked out in Rick Barnes' favor here though...last game of a tough 4 game roadie, no Tony Mitchell...

That is going too far!

• 2 weeks later...

I applaud North Texas for playing some tougher teams (Texas Tech, Texas, Mississippi State, LSU) but there are some others that are real cupcakes: St. Gregory (NAIA), UTA, Sam Houston State (Southland Conference), Jackson State, Grambling State (SWAC) and New Orleans (dropped to D-II).

Georgetown basketball under John Thompson Sr. got away with playing a “weak” non-conference schedule. I would like to see tougher teams than NAIA team, two Southland teams, two SWAC teams and a D-II team.

• Downvote 2

I applaud North Texas for playing some tougher teams (Texas Tech, Texas, Mississippi State, LSU) but there are some others that are real cupcakes: St. Gregory (NAIA), UTA, Sam Houston State (Southland Conference), Jackson State, Grambling State (SWAC) and New Orleans (dropped to D-II).

Georgetown basketball under John Thompson Sr. got away with playing a “weak” non-conference schedule. I would like to see tougher teams than NAIA team, two Southland teams, two SWAC teams and a D-II team.

Good idea, but here are some questions for you...

Who would you like to replace these teams with?

Do you like home non-conference games, or would you prefer almost all non-conference games to be on the road?

With this young roster, are you ready to see 15+ losses if we remove these "weak" teams (assuming you want to replace them with "strong" teams)?

Have you been to a UNT/UTA game or UNT/SHSU game?

• Upvote 1

Georgetown basketball under John Thompson Sr. got away with playing a "weak" non-conference schedule. I would like to see tougher teams than NAIA team, two Southland teams, two SWAC teams and a D-II team.

Disagree. I think this is a great schedule for this year's Mean Green roster.

• 3 weeks later...

What I am talking about is “Strength of Schedule” that comes into play when getting a bid to either the NCAA tournament or the NIT. There have been a few times where a second SBC team makes the NCAA tournament. When the NCAA tournament committee is making decisions about seeding and adding teams, strength of schedule is an important factor.

Last season for North Texas is a classic example. NT lost the SBC championship game but had what I thought was a pretty strong team. Everyone was hoping NT would make the NCAAs with an at-large bid. Didn’t happen. Didn’t get a bid to the NIT either. NT did not have a strong enough schedule to be considered.

This is how you build a program for the long haul. 20 win seasons are nice but they don’t mean as much as they used to. Again, see NT the last 5 years and only 2 NCAA tournament bids only because they won the SBC tournament. Every year there is a 20 win team that thinks they should be in the tournament but is left out…because they played too soft of a schedule.

I would forgo a 20 win season in favor of getting an at-large bid to the NCAAs or NIT. The stronger schedule is how an 18 or 17 win school beats out a 20 win school for the tournament.

What I am talking about is “Strength of Schedule” that comes into play when getting a bid to either the NCAA tournament or the NIT. There have been a few times where a second SBC team makes the NCAA tournament. When the NCAA tournament committee is making decisions about seeding and adding teams, strength of schedule is an important factor.

Last season for North Texas is a classic example. NT lost the SBC championship game but had what I thought was a pretty strong team. Everyone was hoping NT would make the NCAAs with an at-large bid. Didn’t happen. Didn’t get a bid to the NIT either. NT did not have a strong enough schedule to be considered.

This is how you build a program for the long haul. 20 win seasons are nice but they don’t mean as much as they used to. Again, see NT the last 5 years and only 2 NCAA tournament bids only because they won the SBC tournament. Every year there is a 20 win team that thinks they should be in the tournament but is left out…because they played too soft of a schedule.

I would forgo a 20 win season in favor of getting an at-large bid to the NCAAs or NIT. The stronger schedule is how an 18 or 17 win school beats out a 20 win school for the tournament.

OOC schedule (and our record against it) wasn't the problem last year. Off the top of my head, I think we were 9-2 vs. D-1 opponents, with the only losses coming against Kansas and SHSU. Struggling through injury after injury and going 8-8 in conference would doom any non-power conference school's hopes for an at-large bid to the NCAA or NIT.

If there's an example of a non-Big 6 team making the tournament as an at-large with 17-18 wins, no matter what schedule they played... I don't know about it.

Any mid-major program has to win 25 or more games to have a shot at an at-large bid. You have to do that while dominating your conference and being upset in the semifinals or championship game of your conference tourney. Beating some high majors will help your chances, but the main thing about last year was how bad we were in regular season conference games. You can't lose to the teams we lost to and expect an at-large bid.

Sounds like your complaints are aimed more at the conference than the program. Is it about time to invite the realignment guys into the basketball forum?

Why do you hate me all of a sudden?

Or maybe it isn't all of a sudden? Have you really hated me all along? Is it because of my backwards L.A. Raiders cap and my gold teeth?

Why do you hate me all of a sudden?

Or maybe it isn't all of a sudden? Have you really hated me all along? Is it because of my backwards L.A. Raiders cap and my gold teeth?

Don't know what you're talking about. I'm just spit-ballin ideas for the betterment of the program.

• 2 weeks later...

You can't really complain about conference anyway.

Every conference will have their weak team, middle of the road teams, and the high level teams. Where strength of schedule really comes into play is the OOC schedule.

As for At-Large bids to the NCAA Tournament with less then 20 wins:

2011 - #9 seed Tennessee SEC 19–14 At-large, #10 Penn State Big 10 19–14 At-large, #9 Illinois Big 10 19–13 At-large, USC Pac-10 19–14 At-large (had to play in the play in game), #10 Michigan State Big 10 19–14 At-large

2010 - #9 Wake Forest ACC 19–10 At-large

2009 - #12 Wisconsin Big Ten 19–12 At-large, #12 Arizona Pac-10 19–13 At-large

2008 - #10 Arizona Pac-10 19-14 At-Large, #11 Kentucky SEC 18-12 At-Large, #9 Oregon Pac-10 18-13 At-Large

2007 - #11 Stanford Pac-10 18-12 At-Large

2006 - #6 Indiana Big Ten 18-11 At-Large, #10 Alabama SEC 17-12 At-Large, #10 Seton Hall Big East 18-11 At-Large, #8 Arizona Pac-10 19-12 At-Large, #9 Wisconsin Big Ten 19-11 At-Large

I think I made my point.