Greeks not going to the game ?

greenjoe

Force them to read and try to decipher rjmunthe's posts?

I hate to quote Darrell Royal, but he is credited with saying "A confused team can't play aggressively". Could even the most determined frat killer stay focused on his task after pondering the taunting of a punter with "you'll never get in this game".

I attend the games and pay for a ticket and I have to walk all the way from campus. I'd love to be able to tailgate, but sorry, $125 or whatever the MG Club fees are, are just a little too high for that priveledge. Why should greeks get the free ride if they're not even coming in the stadium?

We set up on the hill at about 10 or 11 Friday morning before the lot closes. Once those gates close, even if you've got a Victory Hall parking pass, you aren't getting close enough to carry things. We cart coolers and valuables back to the cars via dolly about 30 minutes prior to kickoff, then get the tents/tables/bbq on Sunday morning, again, when there are no restrictions in the parking lot.

So, with proper planning, no special MG fees necessary. Just lots of free time.

If they wanna stay on the hill that's their own business. My only problem is how do they get all their stuff there? Are they allowed to park where only MG Club members do? Do they have help in towing their stuff to the hill? Because I know even big frat guys can't walk couches from greek row.

I attend the games and pay for a ticket and I have to walk all the way from campus. I'd love to be able to tailgate, but sorry, $125 or whatever the MG Club fees are, are just a little too high for that priveledge. Why should greeks get the free ride if they're not even coming in the stadium?

Parking is just ONE benefit of the Mean Green Club. So the fees aren't just for a parking pass. You get one at the $250 level with at least one football season ticket. The donation counts for the whole year and there are benefits for basketball as well as the Olympic sports.

Poor Greeks. The AD didn't cater to ther needs. They have such a rough life.

What would you know about, Keith? Care to make sniping remarks from the sidelines or join our conversation. I don't mind differing opinions, but be prepared to make poignant and astute comments. Don't bring a knife to an artillery fight.

I want everyone to realize that we are talking about LESS THAN 1,300 students. How many students attend this school? How many people does this stadium hold? Fact is, we're talking about less than 4.5% of the student population and if every last one of them show up, it would make up about 4% of the stadium.

http://greeklife.unt.edu/sites/default/files/pdf/greek%20report/greek_report_form_sp11.pdf

We are all preaching to the choir here. WE are the active ones. All of us. Some of us were/are Greek and some of us are not.

We have larger issues than the Greeks not attending games.

• Upvote 1

I want everyone to realize that we are talking about LESS THAN 1,300 students. How many students attend this school? How many people does this stadium hold? Fact is, we're talking about less than 4.5% of the student population and if every last one of them show up, it would make up about 4% of the stadium.

http://greeklife.unt...t_form_sp11.pdf

We are all preaching to the choir here. WE are the active ones. All of us. Some of us were/are Greek and some of us are not.

We have larger issues than the Greeks not attending games.

As we say in church, AMEN goodjob.gifgoodjob.gifgoodjob.gif

I guess for me, I don't see the point of going through all of that effort and expense to set up a tailgate party, tents, greek letters, etc. and then spend the game sitting on The Hill.

The Greeks have a better opportunity to promote their organizations from INSIDE the game rather than outside. Two home games left, I challenge the fraternities and sororities to show what they can do in terms of oraganization and spirit. Carry in signs with your greek letters. Have a spirit competition in the stands. Have a contest on the number of members you can get in the seats.

Hey, how about a classic prank? http://sportsillustr...college.pranks/

I applaud the efforts of the Greeks during Homecoming week. But don't come on a sports discussion board and ask "Isn't that enough? Isn't it enough that we made it to gates of the stadium?"

Because it's not. It's not only pointless, it's disrespectful to the team, the coaches, the cheerleaders, the dancers, and the fans to plant your flag on The Hill and declare that you will come no closer. And I get that this happens at other universities, but those other universities do not typically have 15,000 empty seats.

Get your asses in the game, and get in on time.

Edited by UNTflyer
  • Upvote 4

I'll be glad to answer this.

The old Radisson parking lot is available for people to drop off tailgate items a couple hours before game time. There is a police officer in the lot. You are allowed to park for 15 minutes. I know this because I brought a generator to a "Frat" party the first game. And it was a royal pain in the ass.

So they aren't getting any preferential treatment and you aren't getting screwed. They all still have to park wherever they can find a space. For us, it cost $20 and we had a hell of a walk.

Good info to know. I'd still rather not have to throw up a tent and instead just tailgate out of the back of my car, but I digress.

So, with proper planning, no special MG fees necessary. Just lots of free time.

Lots is right, that's an insane amount of work just to drink a few beers before a game.

Everyone that hasnt been in a fraternity, doesnt understand how much we do for this school. If they wanna drink at tailgate and during a game, let them do it. This program hasnt won enough games at home to make it a priority to come into the stadium. Quit b!tcing about the fraternities and sororities for supporting our school and having more school spirit than any other orginaztion on campus. Last time I counted, there werent 6 non fraternity guys driving to Clemson, Hot Springs, Bama to go to games, it was a bunch of drunk fraternity guys that do.

I think the Green Brigade and Cheerleaders might have something to say about that.

• Upvote 3

The problem is that there is a huge set of the fan base that would at that point just go home or to another tailgate location. Going after the Greeks is just a misguided attempt to show frustration at the overall fan base.

This, this, and more this.

I don't get the fixation that some folks here have with tailgaters, particularly with Greek tailgaters.

I hate beating this point to death, but y'all need to realize this past weekend was Homecoming. A whole lot of organizations, Greek and otherwise (like mine), have their Homecoming tailgate as the centerpiece of their Homecoming activity. It's the one time of the year a lot of folks get together.

Having the university police chasing the alumni who care enough to come back to visit with their friends out of the tailgate areas on Homecoming is beyond stupid. It's clown shoes and an absolute P.R. disaster. You want to guarantee that the crappy attitudes towards the football program and athletics in general among alums continue? Then by all means go ahead and have police run alums off school property during Homecoming.

We should be doing everything we can to encourage people to come to the game for positive reasons. This isn't the 19th century British Royal Navy; we don't need to be dragooning people into their seats.

Our tailgate shut down during the game and we all went in and enjoyed the best Homecoming game I've seen in years. Our folks from Honduras and our folks

from Austin and those of us who are local had a great time. When we play more games like that one, people will want to come in. That ought to be the goal, not trying to figure out every way possible to run tailgaters off.

• Upvote 3

I sat in the club level on Saturday with 6 or so old Fraternity buddies. When I talk with other alums on game day I am always suprised to find how many were in Fraternities. What do the players touch for good luck before they run out onto the field? A Bronze Eagle given to the school by a Fraternity.

When I graduated from UNT in 97 less than 5% of the school was in a Fraternity. I believe those numbers hold true today. Yet I guarantee you more than 5% of those that make it into the game on any given Saturday are either currently or previously affiliated with a Fraternity.

I think many on here should tap the breaks a little before spewing such hatred toward a group that participates in greater percentages than the rest of the student body. The handful of students that would rather drink beer and chase the opposite sex around the hill (does not sound so bad now) do not represent the group as a whole. Nor do they deserve your ire as much as the one hundred thousand plus alumni in the DFW area that make no attempt what so ever to show any pride in their University much less give back. According to this board it is more of a crime to get close to the stadium and not come in as opposed to sitting at home watching the Texas game.

• Upvote 4