ALCS

eppy4life

I know I'm already debating which event I'd rather see.

Your post didn't deserve any -'s from me but I'm deeply concerned about this comment. I'm going to hold back from firing cannons at your bow since I am also a fan of the Rangers. This is a simple decision, but the DVR made it even easier.

The only frustrating part will be not yelling at the D-bags who decide to yell the final score... hate it when that happens.

• Upvote 1

I've been expecting the ALCS and the red river shootout to effect attendance although the latter will probably only effect tailgating attendance. I personally will be tailgating and attending and unfortunately will only be able to follow the Rangers via iphong if I can get service. The only way I wouldn't be at the game is if I magically was able to get ALCS tickets. I was wondering if anybody but me is worried about the possibility of rain on Saturday? We tailgate in the premium student lot by the softball field and I really don't want it to rain during tailgating. I don't mind it raining during the game, I'm fine with watching the game in the rain. But I fear that if it rains during tailgate that they will move us to Fouts due to the disclaimer on the parking pass: "In case of lot closure or inclimate weather,pass is valid at Fouts Field."

to me, there isn't a question as to which thing i would attend. north texas is my school...i am a part of it...the rangers, i am a fan, but am not part of it...didn't go to texas rangers school or ever play for them. i hope they win, but apogee is where we should be on saturday.

rain is showing 20% chance at about 6pm, with winds in the teens...

• Upvote 7

Please don't blast me with -s but I fear we may be in for terrible attendance numbers on Saturday because of the Rangers game. They haven't announced the time yet but no doubt it will fall during the NT game. I know I'm already debating which event I'd rather see.

Let's see. How many games does North Texas play this week-end? How many do the Rangers play?

• Upvote 3

Does anyone know if a portable LCD TV can get a Channel 4 signal in Denton?

Yes, IF you have a digital tuner in you LCD TV set. Not sure about reception within the stadium, but if you get signal strength over 55 you will get a picture. The good and bad about digital is that it either works or not, none of the fuzzy/grainy picture.

Mobile TV is suppose to be the next big thing but it isn't really available yet.

A couple of weeks ago I threw away an old WatchMan that worked great until all the analog TV broadcasts went away!

I am gonna sort of defend eppy4life here - which I never thought I'd do.

If I lived in DFW, I'd definitely go to the NT game over playoff baseball. I think most of us on GMG are the hardcore types that would. However, I can't blame anyone who doesn't since it's a playoff contest versus a regular season one (of two teams with losing records).

I expect we'll still have a good crowd (18-19K is my guess), but we're also likely to lose a thousand or more potential late decider types.

Yes, IF you have a digital tuner in you LCD TV set. Not sure about reception within the stadium, but if you get signal strength over 55 you will get a picture. The good and bad about digital is that it either works or not, none of the fuzzy/grainy picture.

Mobile TV is suppose to be the next big thing but it isn't really available yet.

A couple of weeks ago I threw away an old WatchMan that worked great until all the analog TV broadcasts went away!

Thank you for the info. I think I may give that shot to try to be able to do both. Though I guess rain might not be so good for a TV. :) For those planing to DVR and hope to not know the outcome by the time they get home, good luck with that, since I assume we will be getting scoring updates on the video boards throughout the game.

And on the general topic, I think that UNT game versus Game 1 of the ALCS is a far easier decision than the decision on October 22 should the Rangers make it to the World Series again and be playing Game 3 at the same time.

I am gonna sort of defend eppy4life here - which I never thought I'd do.

If I lived in DFW, I'd definitely go to the NT game over playoff baseball. I think most of us on GMG are the hardcore types that would. However, I can't blame anyone who doesn't since it's a playoff contest versus a regular season one (of two teams with losing records).

I expect we'll still have a good crowd (18-19K is my guess), but we're also likely to lose a thousand or more potential late decider types.

I'm going to speak of out frustration here, but I don't really care. If you are going to the Rangers game, that's awesome, I can't really blame you. However, if you are going to watch on TV, that is ridiculous. A professional baseball game on freaking TV should IN NO WAY take priority over watching your college team play in person. I would be embarrassed if I sat here in Denton watching the Rangers Saturday night instead of going to the NT game, and then called myself a fan the next day. There should be no comparison. I would trade the Rangers Franchise for a bowl appearance this year by NT.

If we want to be big time, we better start acting like it. The chicken and the egg debate about attendance and wins/better conference can go on forever, but butts in the seats should be there whether we are winning or not, and whether the Rangers are playing in the ALCS or not. That is what we can control. I hope to see you Saturday.

• Upvote 5

I'm going to speak of out frustration here, but I don't really care. If you are going to the Rangers game, that's awesome, I can't really blame you. However, if you are going to watch on TV, that is ridiculous. A professional baseball game on freaking TV should IN NO WAY take priority over watching your college team play in person. I would be embarrassed if I sat here in Denton watching the Rangers Saturday night instead of going to the NT game, and then called myself a fan the next day. There should be no comparison. I would trade the Rangers Franchise for a bowl appearance this year by NT.

If we want to be big time, we better start acting like it. The chicken and the egg debate about attendance and wins/better conference can go on forever, but butts in the seats should be there whether we are winning or not, and whether the Rangers are playing in the ALCS or not. That is what we can control. I hope to see you Saturday.

So when you don't go to the games in person you can't be a fan? Interesting....

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I know a really big Ranger fan that turned down a free ticket in a very good seat to Game 1 because he went to UNT, there are only 6 home football games, he can probably slip into a bar on the way home to catch the last few innings of game 1 and game 2 is Sunday...

Not really a tough decision IMHO...

Can't say I'd do the same. To me it's a no brainer to go to the ALCS if you have tickets. You know you'll have a million chances to see UNT play, but who knows the next time the Rangers will make it to the ALCS.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Can't say I'd do the same. To me it's a no brainer to go to the ALCS if you have tickets. You know you'll have a million chances to see UNT play, but who knows the next time the Rangers will make it to the ALCS.

Don't worry, this individual's wife told him his priorities were out of whack...

But hey, it ain't easy being Green.

• Upvote 1

Ask yourself, 'who would you rather see win on Saturday?' My guess is most of us (fans of both teams) would prefer beating Verlander in game 1. So then I ask, if both were to win, which would I have rather seen live? Answer, Rangers.

Those of you who don't care too much about the Rangers or MLB really have no place to comment on this. I'm speaking for those honestly torn over priorities Saturday night. Weekend ALCS games don't come around very often.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

(OK I don't want this to turn into a Ticket vs. The Fan vs. ESPN thread) but this came up the other day on the radio. They were giving Greggo a hard time because he said he would go see TCU play football 10 out of 10 times over a Ranger World Series game.

The idea of not going to see his alma mater never entered his mind. And he's huge Ranger fan too.

As he said, college football is different, there's a personal connection there.

Ask yourself, 'who would you rather see win on Saturday?' My guess is most of us (fans of both teams) would prefer beating Verlander in game 1. So then I ask, if both were to win, which would I have rather seen live? Answer, Rangers.

Those of you who don't care too much about the Rangers or MLB really have no place to comment on this. I'm speaking for those honestly torn over priorities Saturday night. Weekend ALCS games don't come around very often.

Seriously? If you have tickets to the game I can't blame you though. My beef is with people watching it on TV over NT in person.