Seriously

Dr. Seuss

Yall over-react over every little detail, this team is a 4-5 win team. With a slight chance of a bowl game just because the Sun Belt is quite awful this year. Yall think a win over Indiana is a big deal, its not. They are a bad team (MAC level team) in a great conference while Tulsa is returning 17(?) starters from last year, while we have a handful. Tulsa played 3/5 top 5 teams in the nation, while weve only played 1 top 5 team.

What is killing us this hear is TD's over 30 yards, like they do every year. I dont know the stat but it has to be over 15. Now that OCC is over, this is where we can actually see what kind of team we have.

Edited by Dr. Seuss
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 3

Yall over-react over every little detail, this team is a 4-5 win team. With a slight chance of a bowl game just because the Sun Belt is quite awful this year. Yall think a win over Indiana is a big deal, its not. They are a bad team (MAC level team) in a great conference while Tulsa is returning 17(?) starters from last year, while we have a handful. Tulsa played 3/5 top 5 teams in the nation, while weve only played 1 top 5 team.

What is killing us this hear is TD's over 30 yards, like they do every year. I dont know the stat but it has to be over 15. Now that OCC is over, this is where we can actually see what kind of team we have.

The problem is we recruit directly against Tulsa. If they are going to kick our a$$ by 40 points every year, we need to stop playing them because it cost us in recruiting.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The problem is we recruit directly against Tulsa. If they are going to kick our a$ by 40 points every year, we need to stop playing them because it cost us in recruiting.

Blame RV for that one, cant blame the Coaches for the OOC schedule they got handed to them. But you can maybe blame them for scheduling FIU for the first game

And for yalls info, Coach Mac wont let any info out of the AC. It sucks sometimes because in the past because everything was made public. But its his team, his rules. Hes only releasing info that needs to be released. Cant blame Brett, i know :notfair:

Yes you can blame Brett. You can get info from sources other than McCarney, and you don't have to name them.

Laziness or just doesn't care.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Yes you can blame Brett. You can get info from sources other than McCarney, and you don't have to name them.

I wouldnt go that far, you have to understand the situation a person is in before you start making assumptions. You have to think about the long term relationship that Brett is building with the new staff. Its like a first impression, you can only have one and if your screw it up, well Texas State might need a new beat writer

• Upvote 2

I wouldnt go that far, you have to understand the situation a person is in before you start making assumptions. You have to think about the long term relationship that Brett is building with the new staff. Its like a first impression, you can only have one and if your screw it up, well Texas State might need a new beat writer

Yes I'd hate for him to get on McCarney's bad side...that would surely ruin all the good will he was shown throughout the Dodge tenure.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely true that Tulsa is good....no one is refuting that. I didn't expect to win this game...we were 23 point 'dogs after all. But in the end, we had almost the same amount of yardage that they did. We competed with them fairly well. And I, as a fan, have the right to wonder what might have happened had Brent Osborne started the game. As he should have.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Absolutely true that Tulsa is good....no one is refuting that. I didn't expect to win this game...we were 23 point 'dogs after all. But in the end, we had almost the same amount of yardage that they did. We competed with them fairly well. And I, as a fan, have the right to wonder what might have happened had Brent Osborne started the game. As he should have.

Completely agree.

When you start a true freshmen in his first start on the road and he throws 2 picks, and there's a JC QB that I assume was brought in for this situation, that's the coaches fault.

Is this staff trying to develop McNulty for the future? Is that who they want to hitch their wagon to for the next couple of years?

The problem is we recruit directly against Tulsa. If they are going to kick our a$$ by 40 points every year, we need to stop playing them because it cost us in recruiting.

Not really disagreeing with you overall, but we lost by 17, not 40. Actually, we beat the spread. And if we could have capitalized on the 2 1st and goals we had that we got 0 points out of, it would have been a much better game.

From what I know and learned about Mac is that he emphasizes practices more than anyone in UNT history. JJ was ready to play last week, but Mac didnt start him because of missing practice. We all know that JJ is the best lineman on the team but when you dont practice, you dont start. Its the principal, he kicked Darius off the team because there is no single player that makes a team (unless your #5)...lol

I know that McNalty has been outstanding in practice, you hear it time and time again. Mac rewards hard work, if Chico and Mac think you have a better chance to win the game you will start. Now could this be a mistake, but hindsight is 20/20.. Looking back on it you never know but these coaches know what they are doing, trust me. Not everyone is perfect but in the long run they will put us in a position to win the game more than they will lose us a game, I just dont think North Texas fans are use to that because of the past 40 years...

• Upvote 1

From what I know and learned about Mac is that he emphasizes practices more than anyone in UNT history. JJ was ready to play last week, but Mac didnt start him because of missing practice. We all know that JJ is the best lineman on the team but when you dont practice, you dont start. Its the principal, he kicked Darius off the team because there is no single player that makes a team (unless your #5)...lol

I know that McNalty has been outstanding in practice, you hear it time and time again. Mac rewards hard work, if Chico and Mac think you have a better chance to win the game you will start. Now could this be a mistake, but hindsight is 20/20.. Looking back on it you never know but these coaches know what they are doing, trust me. Not everyone is perfect but in the long run they will put us in a position to win the game more than they will lose us a game, I just dont think North Texas fans are use to that because of the past 40 years...

Playing McNulty is not putting us in the best position to win. He may be Roger Staubach in practice, but he's not getting it down when it counts and Osborn is. The handling of the QB situation is ridiculous.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

UNT90, Did Brett Viti steal your lollipop, your girlfriend and your homework? You have serious problem with him. Go to the coaches show and ask the questions you want answered. Information is restricted coming out of the Athletic Center. No one is talking under the DMac regime. Vito is a good reporter, but you can't report what you can't confirm. He reported that DT was in a walking boot. He also reported that DT said he would play. That is a quote from the player. DMac never gave a straight answer, like all coaches. Dmac is a master at coach speak and will not let any of his assistants speak on the record.

If you can't put a confirmed source down, you open yourself and your paper up to a lawsuit. It does not take a Brain Surgeon to figure out, that Vito is not Lazy and does care. But No one will ever accuse you of being a Brain Surgeon after reading any of your post.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

Thank you.

Thanks again.

Playing McNulty is not putting us in the best position to win. He may be Roger Staubach in practice, but he's not getting it down when it counts and Osborn is. The handling of the QB situation is ridiculous.

Coach Mac said coming in that he was going to build this program on 4-year players. You're right, McNulty didn't put us in the best situation to win last night. However, the coaches have been raving about him since the moment he stepped on campus. They talk about his natural talent, his hard work ethic, his dedication to studying film, the ability to get things done, and his passion to win. If this is the guy they think they can develop to be a truly SPECIAL quarter back - a Matt Grothe type that the coaches have classified him as - something we have NEVER seen at UNT - I am 100% on board with their decision to play him.

I understand the importance of beating Tulsa for recruiting and everything. It's all true and holds a lot of weight. But to say that if Osborn started we would have won is all based on skepticism. We don't know that for sure. For all we know we could have lost by more if Osborn was in (there's no telling). The fact that people are blaming McNulty's dad for this "favoritism" is all based on complete skepticism as well.

Come on people, Mac didn't play a true freshman without reason. He hates loosing. He doesn't sugar coat. He doesn't beat around the bush. There is strategy, logic, and purpose behind this decision even if it's for the next 3 YEARS and not one game.

I suppose I would rather have a really special quarterback as an asset to the team for the next three years who can help make our team competitive against anyone rather than a lone win last night and mediocre struggles at QB in the future.

Time will tell how it all turns out. All I know is that McCarney wants to build this thing the right way for the long haul and I am A-Okay with that

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

IF what you are saying is true then I want a new coach NOW. My school isn't a tinker toy set. It's not a science lab. We didn't build a new stadium, sell club seats and suites, beg new people to join the MGC and invest time and energy to see our team run like it's a lab rat. We deserve better and, perhaps more importantly, we are not a program that can afford this. Each and every one of us puts forth a full good faith effort to show up to support this team and vouches for them to friends who are DESPERATELY needed in the fan base. Apogee will be new one time and one time only. If we are sacrificing wins for POSSIBLE long term success than be honest and say so. Weekends are full of options, let us know when the coaches make winning a priority and we'll know when attendance should be.

Thank you.

Thanks again.

Coach Mac said coming in that he was going to build this program on 4-year players. You're right, McNulty didn't put us in the best situation to win last night. However, the coaches have been raving about him since the moment he stepped on campus. They talk about his natural talent, his hard work ethic, his dedication to studying film, the ability to get things done, and his passion to win. If this is the guy they think they can develop to be a truly SPECIAL quarter back - a Matt Grothe type that the coaches have classified him as - something we have NEVER seen at UNT - I am 100% on board with their decision to play him.

I understand the importance of beating Tulsa for recruiting and everything. It's all true and holds a lot of weight. But to say that if Osborn started we would have won is all based on skepticism. We don't know that for sure. For all we know we could have lost by more if Osborn was in (there's no telling). The fact that people are blaming McNulty's dad for this "favoritism" is all based on complete skepticism as well.

Come on people, Mac didn't play a true freshman without reason. He hates loosing. He doesn't sugar coat. He doesn't beat around the bush. There is strategy, logic, and purpose behind this decision even if it's for the next 3 YEARS and not one game.

I suppose I would rather have a really special quarterback as an asset to the team for the next three years who can help make our team competitive against anyone rather than a lone win last night and mediocre struggles at QB in the future.

Time will tell how it all turns out. All I know is that McCarney wants to build this thing the right way for the long haul and I am A-Okay with that

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

Now that OCC is over, this is where we can actually see what kind of team we have.

Tulsa was 1-3 before they played us. Why are you acting like they're an OOC opponent we had no chance of ever beating? Last night was a valid test of what kind of team we have.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Completely agree.

When you start a true freshmen in his first start on the road and he throws 2 picks, and there's a JC QB that I assume was brought in for this situation, that's the coaches fault.

Is this staff trying to develop McNulty for the future? Is that who they want to hitch their wagon to for the next couple of years?

Spot on, and a couple of great questions. If the answers are "yes", then, while a little more pointed than mine would be, Emmitt's criticism is also valid:

...It's not a science lab... If we are sacrificing wins for POSSIBLE long term success than be honest and say so. Weekends are full of options, let us know when the coaches make winning a priority and we'll know when attendance should be.

I know there are alot of different opinions on this, but I'm of the mentality that you play every game to win that game. And I hate to bring this up, but that's why I was on board with playing Thompson in the AKSt game in 09.

So, if coach Canales & coach McCarney believed McNulty was the best option to win the game, then OK... lets hope there was a lesson learned, because he was not. If indeed this was a learning experience for McNulty, then please follow Emmitt's advice above.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Tulsa was 1-3 before they played us. Why are you acting like they're an OOC opponent we had no chance of ever beating? Last night was a valid test of what kind of team we have.

Did you see who they played before they played us? That record is a little misleading.

They're a good team with lots of veterans who know how to win.

I went to the game last night and left very disappointed in our team's performance. My biggest complaint starts with the quarterback situation. I for one do not see how McNulty as a true freshman being our best option at QB with Derek Thompson being hurt. This is either a poor decision by the coaching staff or a poor evaluation of a recruit. If Osborn is the 3rd best qb we have 4 weeks into the year, then our coaching staff made a poor decision in recruiting and offering him a scholarship. You don't bring in a junior college quarterback to be your 3rd stringer, period. You recruit a junior college guy to make a difference on your ball club not hold a clip board as the 3rd string qb. My 2nd beef is the use of Lance Dunbar, you can't give a guy the ball 40 times in a game where you are getting beat 41-3 after 3 quarters. Yes he is our best player, but you have to get James Hamilton in there and give him some carries. My next problem was our red zone inefficiency. It's pretty bad when you can't score when you have the ball 1st and goal from the 3. That 4th down call was the worst play call i have seen all year, even if the pitch was solid, Lance would have stuffed in the backfield. The next time, we are 1st and goal at the 8th, was another disappointing drive. I think we put Phil Costa in there at center in that series. 2 times 1st and goal, 2 times we come up with ZERO points. Another thing is that we still can't block anybody when we kick field goals, we havent been able to block on field goals for over 5 years. With the inefficiences on our team you just can't come up empty on 2 1st and goal situations and give up 2 pick 6's, especially when playing a better and more talented team. When you do that, you get blown out like we did last night and yes before anything says anything the final score said we got beat by 17, but it was much worse than that. Had to get that off my chest, still a fan but a disappointed one. Go Mean Green.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I was referring to conference play, thats what matters. We have 7 games left that are 100% completely winnable. FAU might be a bad crowd next week, but we should get another win at home bringing us 2-1 at home heading into HC. Oct. 22 should be a good crowd leading up to 4 last games of the year that could tell us if we have a shot of going to a bowl game

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1