Body bag games

mgfan

Why don't we schedule any? It seems like every other school in the nation has at least one. Would it hurt to schedule one FCS or Div II team? It would help us iron out some of the wrinkles and gives us a win under our belt. I just don't get why we don't have at least one on our schedule.

• Upvote 1

There is no doubt that UNT can beat and probably beat badly a lower level FCS team.

The question becomes is it profitable to play them. Besides an easy guaranteed win, one reason teams play FCS schools is they are generally cheaper to play than an FBS school and don't usually require a return visit to their stadium. It becomes profitable for both schools, the FBS school makes more money because they don't have to pay as much and can schedule more home games every season, and the FCS school gets more money than if they'd played another FCS school even at home.

The sticking point is getting enough fans in the seats to make money after the payout. If not, you might as well go on the road and play for pay unless you're in the position where you can accept losing money, or you sign series deals with FBS schools and hope to make money at least every other or third year with those games.

A body bag game for us would have to be a very low FCS opponent. Where we are right now, we couldn't pummel Texas State 55-7. So then you risk a close game (heaven forbid a L) to an FCS opponent.

And of course it makes $en$e, but maybe now with our Apogee naming rights and increased season tickets,donations, student fee etc we can think about it.

A couple of years ago, RV stated that we could net as much playing at home with "X" number of paid attendance as playing a big money game on the road. I don't remember what that number was (15K ?)but I recall it not being too too high. Hopefully, with the increase of season ticket sales and a renewed support of our students, we can play at Apogee instead of traveling. Do I understand as of right now we only have 5 games scheduled for next year ?

And speaking of money games, I'd like to see NT raise the fee for money games. $1 million guaranteed. Too high ? Find somebody else.

One reason that we haven't recently is that we have been trying to reestablish ourselves as a legitimate member of the FBS. Failure against a FCS team would be devastating.

Another reason has been that it wasn't rewarding to have 12,000 fans at Fouts to see us play a patsy. We simply do not have the fan base to pay a "body bag" to come here.

Those games have been the most boring in my memory. Who can never forget Samford, Indiana State or Nicholls State?

Next year you may have your wish. Texas Southern is scheduled to come here in what should be considered a body bag game. If we are successful (winning and drawing a decent crowd) then you may see that occur more in the future. But, I hope not.

Edited by GrayEagle

This. The risk/reward isn't equal. We lose that game and we're screwed. We win and... so what?

And we gain confidence, mesh together as a team more, get some of the kinks out, maybe even try some new plays, and get some guys who normally wouldn't play some time and experience under their belt. I see the downside of having a body bag game, put there are also positives. Maybe instead of having a Tulsa we could have had an easy win game.

• Upvote 1