Newspaper Coverage

UNT 90 Grad

So yesterday morning, I grab a copy of the local paper and get comfortable on the balcony of my Miami hotel room overlooking Biscayne Bay. I go to the Sports section to see how my adopted player did and..WHAAAA!!! I was amazed by the coverage given to the game! The FIU game was given the most real estate on the front page of the sports section along with a big color photo. I follow the article continuation and also found another full article about the game by a second writer. Is FIU the only university in town? I'm reminded no as I pass the University of Miami signs downtown. Did the Dolphins have the day off on Thursday? No, they had a preseason win over our Cowboys, which earned them part of the front page of the sports section. What gives?

I'm assuming we got the typical small bit in the Dallas Morning News. Someone let me know. If we received a similar write up in the DMN, then this post is worthless. (May be worthless anyway.) I just know I would LOVE to see this type of pub in the DMN after games. Here are some pics of the paper so you can kind of see what I'm talking about.

gallery_0_23_2942143.jpg

gallery_0_23_675545.jpg

• Upvote 1

We might get better coverage if we were coming off a conference title and bowl win. And you can't really compare the two. I highly doubt Miami has as many alumni from different schools as DFW. Face it, until we start seriously winning we won't get any pub because no one outside of Denton cares.

I don't know about that. Driving around down there, you didn't see much other than University of Miami and Florida Gator stuff on cars...at least until you got close to the FIU campus, where you saw the FIU parking stickers that initially look like FIU Golden Panther flair. They also have Florida State, UCF, USF, etc. to contend with.

Regarding pub when winning, I don't remember this much coverage when we were 4 time conference champions either.

Good points on local coverage.

My guess is the FIU roster is stocked with Miami-area kids.

Fast, big and strong local kids gets you wins.

Fast, big and strong local kids gets good coverage.

Winning gets good coverage.

Winning early and big gets good coverage.

Winning on Thursday night gets good coverage.

Winning when you are the only area or state college playing that night gets good coverage.

Winning when Miami (NFL) doesn't play its starters in a meaningless, over-priced exhibition, and wins against Dallas...gets good coverage, right below the Dolphins.

Win. When?

GMG*

*No political statement was intended in the submission of this post.

We might get better coverage if we were coming off a conference title and bowl win. And you can't really compare the two. I highly doubt Miami has as many alumni from different schools as DFW. Face it, until we start seriously winning we won't get any pub because no one outside of Denton cares.

Exactly. They are going to out in the paper what they believe most of their readers want to read. What has this team done in the past 6 years to warrant that kind of coverage? Besides we are not what I would consider a Dallas or Ft. Worth school for that matter.

Remember that FIU is a start up program. Yes, they were awful when they first moved up, but people have given then time to build and learn. Hiring a local guy like Cristobal and letting him recruit local kids has paid off big time for them. Their fans really haven't had to deal with anything close to what we have, which is why their local media hasn't buried them. If they had, say 80 years, of UNT apathy, let's see how much coverage the Miami media would give them--it would make this a true apples-to-apples comparison. This also hits on the advantages that UTSA could very well have on us if they find early success in the WAC

Yup, had that laminated and taped to my locker door the past 9 years.

Rick

---The sad deal is that there hasn't been anything since in those 9 years to compare with that Baylor game. More games are won lost on signing day that any other time.. We need to get some guys that are very good defensively....

---Note that the two teams in the SUPER BOWL last year were the two NFL teams that allowed the fewest points during the regular season.... not the two that scored the most. The eight top defensive teams all made the playoffs... Only four of the eight top offensive ones did.... and some of them were on the defensive list.

--- It will take some time, tough to turn things around quickly in football... basketball often can, largely because of the smallness of a team, one or two players can made a big difference there. .

To be fair... The "...in football" was pretty heavily implied.

Still- For all the football "fans" who have been steaming for a decade over not being able to waggle their dong in the faces of co-workers, friends, and family... There's one other major college sport. And we're damn good at it.

Every year, we win a lot and there's at least one major 'scoreboard' moment, whether it's a BCS win or an NCAA berth.

Don't be afraid. Less than 9 weeks away now. We'll do some pre-season Peach Baskets to get everyone up to speed (I assume?), and nobody will know you haven't already been enjoying the ride for the past 5 years.

Enjoy football for the new opportunities and the new beginnings. But, at least for this year, consider living vicariously through basketball instead of football.