Fall camp news has been sparse

NT80

I understand about the need to close practice if that's what the coaches want.

The concern I have is new fans learning who the players are, or old fans becoming familiar with new players.

There is a reason local TV sports shows Cowboy's practice clips every night...it builds a bond with fans and this year's version of the team. It creates interest in buying tickets and seeing those guys live.

Green Gang guys and Vito started out giving decent practice reports but has been limited lately to single player videos to no news at all.

I would also like in the future for the AD or Coach to consider an open scrimmage to "MGC members only". Sort of an easy perk to add membership value.

Seeing more tidbits of edited practice action or news would be greatly welcomed by this NT football starved fan and I'm sure new potential fans too! :thumbsu:

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

I understand about the need to close practice if that's what the coaches want.

The concern I have is new fans learning who the players are, or old fans becoming familiar with new players.

There is a reason local TV sports shows Cowboy's practice clips every night...it builds a bond with fans and this year's version of the team. It creates interest in buying tickets and seeing those guys live.

Green Gang guys and Vito started out giving decent practice reports but has been limited lately to single player videos to no news at all.

I would also like in the future for the AD or Coach to consider an open scrimmage to "MGC members only". Sort of an easy perk to add membership value.

Seeing more tidbits of edited practice action or news would be greatly welcomed by this NT football starved fan and I'm sure new potential fans too! :thumbsu:

Been thinking the same thing myself. Not much info coming out of the AD. Pictures, videos of drills, etc., would be nice.

Not that I agree with almost strict channeling of all the data to Facebook......but......just get a facebook account (you don't even have to get any friends) and then join the fanpage for Mean Green Gang. I know that you older guys don't like the idea....but if you really want to see the videos and hear some news then you will do it. Again....before any of you flamespray me with the "I shouldn't have to" or "I refuse to" talk.... I also think they should be posting this info on other mediums as well and at least have weekly MGS videos with recaps. Just my .02

Not that I agree with almost strict channeling of all the data to Facebook......but......just get a facebook account (you don't even have to get any friends) and then join the fanpage for Mean Green Gang. I know that you older guys don't like the idea....but if you really want to see the videos and hear some news then you will do it. Again....before any of you flamespray me with the "I shouldn't have to" or "I refuse to" talk.... I also think they should be posting this info on other mediums as well and at least have weekly MGS videos with recaps. Just my .02

AAUNT Facebook and Twitter in my opinion are just not conducive to two a day reports. What you need is to paint a picture of a new staff and new players in a new venue...in my opinion facebook and twitter are not the ideal medium to do this with. I'm at Facebook fatigue mode myself and Twitter is good for short succinct posts not the major changes that went into effect this season. Having multiple perspectives or outlets reporting is a good thing for not only the fans but also prospective fans that you are trying to draw interest with.

We have always enjoyed covering two-a-days at UNT and were disappointed that this was not going to be the case this year. We also respect and have abided by the decision of Coach Mac and the Athletic Department to close them.

AAUNT Facebook and Twitter in my opinion are just not conducive to two a day reports. What you need is to paint a picture of a new staff and new players in a new venue...in my opinion facebook and twitter are not the ideal medium to do this with. I'm at Facebook fatigue mode myself and Twitter is good for short succinct posts not the major changes that went into effect this season. Having multiple perspectives or outlets reporting is a good thing for not only the fans but also prospective fans that you are trying to draw interest with.

We have always enjoyed covering two-a-days at UNT and were disappointed that this was not going to be the case this year. We also respect and have abided by the decision of Coach Mac and the Athletic Department to close them.

That's why I mentioned I didn't think it was a good idea to isolate it to those two mediums. I even mentioned it at the Presser as well to some in the AD when it was mentioned that this would be the course of action. I only offered that if things are drastically dark for you and you still wish to see at least something then those two mediums are your only choice. Either that or you can borrow Army of Mom and Dad's Hunting Stand and go set it up somewhere with a vantage point and use these to peep in on the show. You could always say you were staring at the entire campus or a National Landmark.

binocs.jpg

Not that I don't see the point being made, but do practice updates really add fans or just further wet the whistle of the diehards? I can't imagine living near a team I don't care about and being sucked in by their training camp/practice stories.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Not that I don't see the point being made, but do practice updates really add fans or just further wet the whistle of the diehards? I can't imagine living near a team I don't care about and being sucked in by their training camp/practice stories.

Hush you.

It sounds better to say we're worried about potential fans than to admit we're really all about ourselves.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

Coach Mac wants it closed. The green gang does an good job of giving updates and giving a video every once in a while. I see nothing wrong. Lets respect the way coach want's to do think...and get ready to watch our team sept 1st beat FIU and then come home to our new stadium and smack around the coogs. GMG

Edited by bstnsportsfan3
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I think the biggest thing is the football season is getting closer and the diehard fans are ready for any news about there team. Who is running with the first team? Who looks good in practice? What is the depth chart look like? etc.........

The biggests questions, the questions that really matter will be ansewered on Thursday Night Sept 1st in Miami. How will our Mean Green Football Team play.

There is not a thing we can do on this message board that will help the football teams performance except let the players and coaching staff know that we are behind there 100 percent.

Do you believe that Coach Mac will have the Mean Green Football physically and mentally prepaired to play football this season. Do you believe that the coaching staff will have prepaired the best game plan humanly possiable each and every week to give that players the best chance of being sucessful on anygiven Saturday.

What I am concerned with is will the players play there butts off and not give up. I know experince and depth are major concerns.

Hopefully this will be the last year that experince and depth will be a question mark going into a football season. Good Football Teams reload each year. The Mean Green are still in a rebuilding mode. I am drinking the Green Cool-Aid and beliving that after this years it will be lock & load. You better watch out because the Mean Green are Here to Stay.

There is not a thing we can do on this message board that will help the football teams performance except let the players and coaching staff know that we are behind there 100 percent.

Fans can influence performance by showing up to games in larger numbers.

How do we attract more fans to follow the team? Give them info and visuals about the team, let them learn who the players are. Marketing 101.

Edited by NT80
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

The players can market themselves... when in class, show up be attentive, and talk to students about the team. Dan Mccarney does a good job of it and I'd expect a guy whose getting a full scholarship to do the same thing.

It's interesting- I had class with a lot of basketball players and they always promoted themselves. Josh White did a great job of it.

How do we attract more fans to follow the team? Give them info and visuals about the team, let them learn who the players are. Marketing 101.

• Upvote 2

I agree with the basic concept your "Marketing 101" idea (although I really question your apparent sports marketing professor), but as much as I personally love Chase Baine, seeing him catch a few balls is not going to make me say OMG if I am not already a current fan.

I don't think the Cowboys win any new fans at San Antonio training camp, but they let the current fans deepen and expand their relationship with the team. Once we win a few games and build the base a bit more, I totally agree it's the time to start looking at doing that, but I'm not going to begrudge anyone for not giving me that experience now.

• Upvote 1

Is it really lack of video? I don't think we're getting less video, just take last season and subtract Vito's blogging and the Green Gang's chats.

I'm just working off the top my head. Don't shoot a bad memory!

Just a few more 0.02 cents: I think the "fence" fans are waiting for Sept 1 and 10, not a circle drill montage.

Edited by greenminer

I agree with the basic concept your "Marketing 101" idea (although I really question your apparent sports marketing professor), but as much as I personally love Chase Baine, seeing him catch a few balls is not going to make me say OMG if I am not already a current fan.

I don't think the Cowboys win any new fans at San Antonio training camp, but they let the current fans deepen and expand their relationship with the team. Once we win a few games and build the base a bit more, I totally agree it's the time to start looking at doing that, but I'm not going to begrudge anyone for not giving me that experience now.

It's not the current fans so much we need to market to, although new fans do need access (media) about new players to learn more about them. It's the elusive "new fan" we're trying to coax into trying a game with more media about the team.

How do you build the base and attract new fans that live in the area but don't attend games? You do what the Cowboys do, flood that fan with media until he gives in and sees what all the hype is about.

More media = more fans wanting to be a part of the sales pitch. Otherwise, a lack of showing the product other than "just come see our new stadium" is not really selling the product to the non-UNT-connected general public. Non-school fans don't support a stadium they need a team to support and be sold on.

• Downvote 1

It's not the current fans so much we need to market to, although new fans do need access (media) about new players to learn more about them. It's the elusive "new fan" we're trying to coax into trying a game with more media about the team.

How do you build the base and attract new fans that live in the area but don't attend games? You do what the Cowboys do, flood that fan with media until he gives in and sees what all the hype is about.

More media = more fans wanting to be a part of the sales pitch. Otherwise, a lack of showing the product other than "just come see our new stadium" is not really selling the product to the non-UNT-connected general public. Non-school fans don't support a stadium they need a team to support and be sold on.

I agree with this, but the current product is a losing team. We don't really want to highlight that. We need to start winning first, then we can really promote the product. Until then, Apogee stadium is all we've got to show/sell.

Flooding the fan with images of America's team is one thing. Flooding the potential new fan with images of a team that won 6 games in 3 seasons is another. Especially when they get to choose between Rangers, Mavs, Cowboys, Stars, and Horned Frog games. We can pitch the new stadium/coach bit, but until we start winning is it really going to get us more than a handful of fans?

I actually agree with NT80, but the move can be played tactfully. At this point in our program, open vs. closed coverage is not making or breaking us.. When we start winning, than we can open things up and advertise a good product.

We're so close in agreement here, but just split on one small point. I see this as a timing thing. I don't think there is much we can do with much of the roster outside Dunbar to educate a casual fan -- and he's being used on most of the materials and is getting a decent share of press all things considered.

I think the storylines for our team and program have to come out during the season and a coordinated effort of hitting our local and national media -- along with their hometowns -- is the best way to do that as things go the way we hope they all will. For most casual fans, this is just a collection of dudes until they do something on a field - no matter where they read about them. NFL camps have the luxury of telling stories from college and previous career experience -- we just don't have that yet, but we will and I hope they leverage it well in the years ahead.

• Upvote 1

At this point in our program, open vs. closed coverage is not making or breaking us.. When we start winning, than we can open things up and advertise a good product.

We can't wait for the 12-1 season to market the program. Lance Dunbar is a great product. It's not an open vs. closed thing, it's getting more footage of Lance out there so JoeBob knows who he is and what he looks like running the ball. Make him want to come see Lance.

Edited by NT80
  • Downvote 1

Is it really lack of video? I don't think we're getting less video, just take last season and subtract Vito's blogging and the Green Gang's chats.

I'm just working off the top my head. Don't shoot a bad memory!

Just a few more 0.02 cents: I think the "fence" fans are waiting for Sept 1 and 10, not a circle drill montage.

The Green Gang's chats, the "Inside the Iron" show, "miked-up" coaches . . . there's definitely quite a bit less coverage. I really don't think someone who doesn't already care about UNT would have any interest in that stuff, but I do miss it personally. Then again, maybe I'll have a more productive August 2011 than 2010.

• Upvote 1

We can't wait for the 12-1 season to market the program. Lance Dunbar is a great product. It's not an open vs. closed thing, it's getting more footage of Lance out there so JoeBob knows who he is and what he looks like running the ball. Make him want to come see Lance.

I don't think anyone is waiting for 12-1 anymore, but the last few years are a credibility gap. SMU tried to launch their campaign before the turnaround just a few years ago and it fell incredibly flat. If we show any progress (5-6 wins this year), that combined with the stadium makes a compelling case to show everyone it is time with a full blitz moving forward.

Honestly, unless a player at a school I don't care about is putting up video game numbers (like LT did back in the day or maybe Keenum), I don't think he sucks in the casual fan anymore. I think all things considered, Lance has already generated and will continue to generate more than his share of press this year.

• Upvote 1