McCarney pushing UNT to be physical

UNTflyer

Great news. Long time coming. I think a lot of success in football at this level is that football is as much a mental game as any team sport.

One of the best ways for teams that might not be as gifted as others to have a shot at beating physically superior teams is by being physical.

The team that has the mentality of "we are going to out-hit and out-hustle you" and "we will be relentless, and we will not be intimidated" and "we are going to impose our will on you physically, and intimidate YOU" is generally the team that will create success for themselves by being in the right place to force turnovers, catch other teams loafing, and making plays, even in spite of perceived "lesser" abilities.

UNT had a lot of this in their bowl seasons, and it has been present in many players since, but has not been an overall strength in the past few years, IMO. It's good to see this coming from the top down. It's a fundamental, historically successful, and proven method of building a consistently winning program. It's really Football 101, but it's great to see.

• Upvote 2

Great news. Long time coming. I think a lot of success in football at this level is that football is as much a mental game as any team sport.

One of the best ways for teams that might not be as gifted as others to have a shot at beating physically superior teams is by being physical.

The team that has the mentality of "we are going to out-hit and out-hustle you" and "we will be relentless, and we will not be intimidated" and "we are going to impose our will on you physically, and intimidate YOU" is generally the team that will create success for themselves by being in the right place to force turnovers, catch other teams loafing, and making plays, even in spite of perceived "lesser" abilities.

UNT had a lot of this in their bowl seasons, and it has been present in many players since, but has not been an overall strength in the past few years, IMO. It's good to see this coming from the top down. It's a fundamental, historically successful, and proven method of building a consistently winning program. It's really Football 101, but it's great to see.

This truly is not meant to be a swipe at UT but I read an article where they quoted opposing coaches who faced the horns last season. A predominant theme was that they knew they could "hit em in the mouth" and the horns would roll over.

And, more to the point of the article, it's funny to me that our real D1 coach summed up the entire Dodge era without realizing it...

“We still have a long ways to go, but we didn’t start from scratch like we did on the first day of spring practice, when it was embarrassing,” said McCarney, who took over the program after last season. “It wasn’t embarrassing out there today. They are getting more physical and have a better understanding of what I and my coaches expect when we go full go.”

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

This truly is not meant to be a swipe at UT but I read an article where they quoted opposing coaches who faced the horns last season. A predominant theme was that they knew they could "hit em in the mouth" and the horns would roll over.

I agree with you. That's exactly what happened last year to them. Particularly on the OL. Those guys just got their asses whipped week in and week out. No excuse for it. There were a bunch of quitters on the defense as well.

If you can intimidate another team physically--within the rules--you can literally break their will to play, and get the loss of will to spread to the entire team, not just the offense or defense--and a "lesser" team can beat more talented teams in a given week. That's why it's so important for UNT to continue to improve their strength/size/speed, and why this off-season is so encouraging.

Edited by LongJim

Mean Green football has brought the "fun" back in supporting the program with this set of coaches, the new stadium and the effort the players are making. It's FUN once again to talk about the Mean Green and people all over the place have turned from being overly critical to be genuinely excited and happy once again. Good things are truly happening for the Mean green faithful!

GO MEAN GREEN! WHY THE HECK NOT NORTH TEXAS INDEED!

• Upvote 2

And, more to the point of the article, it's funny to me that our real D1 coach summed up the entire Dodge era without realizing it...

“We still have a long ways to go, but we didn’t start from scratch like we did on the first day of spring practice, when it was embarrassing,” said McCarney, who took over the program after last season. “It wasn’t embarrassing out there today. They are getting more physical and have a better understanding of what I and my coaches expect when we go full go.”

Our defense needs to get out of the cellar of college football...need to be more solid than we've been in the past...all those games lost by seven points or fewer...

We still have a long ways to go, but we didn’t start from scratch like we did on the first day of spring practice, when it was embarrassing,” said McCarney, who took over the program after last season. “It wasn’t embarrassing out there today. They are getting more physical and have a better understanding of what I and my coaches expect when we go full go.”

You know, this is why I can't envision a season with 5 wins or more. When the coach has said, repeatedly, that the lines are weak and that he now has admitted that it was "embarrassing" at the level of physicality for this team in the spring, it is just hard to see how this thing gets to the point where we are competing for an SBC title in year one of Coach Mac's tenure here. But I do expect that we will be MUCH better at the end of the season than at the beginning, as the kids get more confidence in Coach Mac's system. And I really expect that we will get to the 5-7 wins next year. Our future is brighter now than it ever has been. We just need to appreciate the fact that the head coach is basically having to change the mindset of the team from being weak and passive to strong and aggressive when it comes to hitting. The success will follow, even though it may be in the next few years to follow.

You know, this is why I can't envision a season with 5 wins or more. When the coach has said, repeatedly, that the lines are weak and that he now has admitted that it was "embarrassing" at the level of physicality for this team in the spring, it is just hard to see how this thing gets to the point where we are competing for an SBC title in year one of Coach Mac's tenure here. But I do expect that we will be MUCH better at the end of the season than at the beginning, as the kids get more confidence in Coach Mac's system. And I really expect that we will get to the 5-7 wins next year. Our future is brighter now than it ever has been. We just need to appreciate the fact that the head coach is basically having to change the mindset of the team from being weak and passive to strong and aggressive when it comes to hitting. The success will follow, even though it may be in the next few years to follow.

Has anyone ever seen Coach Mac and untjim1995 in the same room together??

I think not.

• Upvote 2

Has anyone ever seen Coach Mac and untjim1995 in the same room together??

I think not.

I'll give you some love for this one. We just disgree on where we are as a program right now. You see us as at least winning 5 games this year because we are in a suck conference that experienced coaches will dominate in immediately, all while believing that expectations around here must be raised.

I believe that the experienced coach is not sugar coating anything, has proven to judge talent very well, and knows we are playing in a suck conference that has owned us for the last 5 years. His system of physicality is COMPLETELY different from the previous regime and its players, which usually means its going to take awhile to change the mindset and get players in here that fit your system.

I see us with 3-4 wins, you see us with 5-6 wins, so we may be pissing in the wind about being so far apart in viewpoints, but the expectations around here have already been raised just by building the stadium and hiring Coach Mac. Either way, GMG!!

I'll give you some love for this one. We just disgree on where we are as a program right now. You see us as at least winning 5 games this year because we are in a suck conference that experienced coaches will dominate in immediately, all while believing that expectations around here must be raised.

I believe that the experienced coach is not sugar coating anything, has proven to judge talent very well, and knows we are playing in a suck conference that has owned us for the last 5 years. His system of physicality is COMPLETELY different from the previous regime and its players, which usually means its going to take awhile to change the mindset and get players in here that fit your system.

I see us with 3-4 wins, you see us with 5-6 wins, so we may be pissing in the wind about being so far apart in viewpoints, but the expectations around here have already been raised just by building the stadium and hiring Coach Mac. Either way, GMG!!

Agree with almost everything you said about our two opinions. Except for one thing. There is an element of self-benefit to Coach Mac's statements about how small and underdeveloped the players are (mostly the same players who won 2 of the last 5 games last year).

I've seen people post about the loss of 2 DTs, the posiion that is your first line of defense against the run. How did we do against the run last year? How many TFLs did those DTs have?

While there is obviously a difference in talent level between FL and UNT, it does not necessarily have to do with size. Don't believe me? Take a look at the weight is OU's starting 2 DTs.

Much of Coach Mac's comments are meant to lower expectations. That way, if he wins immediately, he is a savior, and if he loses, he has an out. Personally, I think he is intentionally underselling the talent for a variety of reasons, and this will be a .500 team or better this year.

Edited by UNT90

Agree with almost everything you said about our two opinions. Except for one thing. There is an element of self-benefit to Coach Mac's statements about how small and underdeveloped the players are (mostly the same players who won 2 of the last 5 games last year).

I've seen peoe post about the loss of 2 DTs, tue posiion that is your first line of defense against the run. How did we do against the run lag year? How many TFLs did those DTs have?

While there is obviously q differncenin talent level between FL and UNT, and does not necessarily have to do with size. Don't believe me? Take a look at the weight is OU's starting 2 DTs.

Much of Coach Mac's comments are meant to lower expectations. That way, if he wins immediately, he is a savior, and if he loses, he has an out. Personally, I think he is intentionally underselling the talent for q variety of reasons, and this will be a .500 team or better this year.

Hey, no problem--I just believe the Coach until he proves me wrong, just I as did for Dodge, Dickey, Simon, Parker, etc. The other four showed me that I was wrong, so maybe this time I will be wrong for a good reason!!

I will say this, if you are right about Coach Mac "sandbagging", it will be disappointing a little bit to me. Not because it isnt normal for coaches to do it, but Coach Mac's candor so far has been as great to me as his enthusiasm. But if you are wrong, please don't make rants about this being a bad hire or the wrong pick after this season. He's going to need time to get his system in place and working at full speed. To me, 2012 will be good, 2013 and beyond will be great with a legitimate head coach in charge finally that has great facilities to recruuit to.

Just curious how you account for the last 4 games of 2010.

How is his system completely different? Becoming physical is not a system change, it's a toughness change. DMac is just coaching these guys to remember how the game is supposed to be played here in Denton.

I'll give you the defense has a new system, but wasn't it Zach Orr who said the game has slowed down tremendously for him since last season?

I don't think it is a stretch to think this team can win 5 games. I will give you, however, that there are tons of wildcards in the trenches and DBs.

I would be happy with 3 wins knowing 1) there is physicality out there, and 2) what talent is coming in 2012. I just hope these seniors go out hard, and get what they deserve.

I just can't believe the naysayers continually saying Three wins. Now way in H---- will

we only win three games. Just think of the games we lost by 1-3-4 points last year.

Coach will be able to get the kids to play above their heads enough to get us at least

FIVE if not SIX games (Put it on the board). Coach Fry could also get the players to

play above their heads. Just wait until the season starts you will see fire from the GREEN.

GO MEAN GREEN GO NORTH TEXAS

Just curious how you account for the last 4 games of 2010.

How is his system completely different? Becoming physical is not a system change, it's a toughness change. DMac is just coaching these guys to remember how the game is supposed to be played here in Denton.

I'll give you the defense has a new system, but wasn't it Zach Orr who said the game has slowed down tremendously for him since last season?

I don't think it is a stretch to think this team can win 5 games. I will give you, however, that there are tons of wildcards in the trenches and DBs.

I would be happy with 3 wins knowing 1) there is physicality out there, and 2) what talent is coming in 2012. I just hope these seniors go out hard, and get what they deserve.

Part of the reason that I think we played so well down the stretch was that Canales took over and the players responded with some renewed vigor. Maybe that will continue, but I have to believe that Coach Mac's system (not just playbook, but also training, practice, academics, etc..) will take time to get fully implemented. Its why I believe that 2012 and beyond are very bright for all of us here.

As for this year, the part about the lines and the lack of true experience at QB are my main reasons for the 3-4 wins prediction. I see wins over WKU, FAU, and hopefully two of these four (@Arky State, @ ULL, ULM, and MUTS). I expect that the non-conference will be an ofer and that Troy and FIU are the cream of the crop in the SBC. Seeing us at 4-8 with that schedule is still progress to me, especialy seeing how we haven't won that many games in 5 years and have only surpassed that win total 5 times since 1995.