WAC's Decline Is Sun Belt's Gain

MeanGreen61

Officially, the battle doesn’t end for 11 more months, but as of next July 1, the three-way race for the title of worst major-college football conference comes to an end. Congratulations to the WAC on its runaway victory.

The Sun Belt? Well, you fought the good fight, but you’re too solid and stable now.

Read more

http://www.theind.com/indextra/8722-wacs-decline-is-sun-belts-gain

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

“The WAC has been a really good league,” he told the Times. “We had three teams in the Top 25 last year.

That pretty much sums up the delusional La Tech position. How embarrassing for them to hold on to, "the teams that have abandoned us were really good" as a bragging point.

Man it would suck to be La Tech and know what's coming...

Yikes

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

The WAC might be at the bottom of the barrel but I bet the Big 12 falls first. Assuming the NCAA ok's the Bevo channel allowing for Texas to recruit weekly on TV, say bye to OU and A&M and what is left of the league.

The Longhorn network is a sleeper cell, the WAC will never lose the amount money this bad idea is about to cost the Big 12.

The WAC might be at the bottom of the barrel but I bet the Big 12 falls first. Assuming the NCAA ok's the Bevo channel allowing for Texas to recruit weekly on TV, say bye to OU and A&M and what is left of the league.

The Longhorn network is a sleeper cell, the WAC will never lose the amount money this bad idea is about to cost the Big 12.

A&M to the

SEC

So how do you guys see all of this playing out within the next 6-10 years and how does it affect North Texas? Just curious to hear what you think!

So how do you guys see all of this playing out within the next 6-10 years and how does it affect North Texas? Just curious to hear what you think!

I would like to see a Texas league. The money the conference could bring in with sold out stadiums and low travel cost would be amazing.

Pac-10

ACC

How about the Texas-10 (or so)

Edited by GreenStreet

I would like to see a Texas league. The money the conference could bring in with sold out stadiums and low travel cost would be amazing.

Pac-10

ACC

and the money they would lose from terrible tv contracts would more than offset that

• Upvote 1

Pac-10

ACC

The old SWC didn't work as UT and A&M got too big for the conference. A new Texas conference without those two and others would cut expenses but sold out stadiums for most of the members would be only a dream. There is not a team in Texas outside the Big Twelve that does not have attendance problems. If you even assumed that the CUSA teams would join such a league, it still would be viewed as one of the worst conferences in the NCAA. SMU, Rice, Houston, NT, TSSM, UTSA and UTEP plus a Tulsa and Tulane for example would be much better for NT but I doubt it would add more than a few thousand to the average attendance. NT has played all these teams before except Tulane and although attendance is significantly better than in the Belt; I doubt it would have a major long term effect. Look at the CUSA conference games none of those are big draws. A much bigger factor in attendance is winning, but it is going to take a combination of a better schedule and a winning program to get NT close to a capacity attendance.

• Upvote 1