Best Scenario

mgfan

2-10.

Sorry guys. Coach Mac is going to need 3 years.

If he had come in here with all brand new staff, I would tend to agree with you. However, it's my opinion that if he gives Coach Canales unfettered control of the offense so that he can concentrate on defense, then that knocks two years off your time frame.

So, I'm more in the 7-5 group.

If he had come in here with all brand new staff, I would tend to agree with you. However, it's my opinion that if he gives Coach Canales unfettered control of the offense so that he can concentrate on defense, then that knocks two years off your time frame.

So, I'm more in the 7-5 group.

I think Silver makes a good point in that we will not be learning a new system on offense. This should speed up a turnaround...NT won't have to recruit to or teach a whole new offense

This would indicate that you think this staff is comparable to the staff Dodge had in 2009. I think this team is more talented, and has much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much, much better coaching.

If Canales was coaching the whole season we'd have won 3 more last year, so that means 6 wins this year, right? The offense is pretty well intact if we can discover a receiver that can catch short passes. The defense is a question mark for me, but we gotta be able to keep up with most of the Sun Belt if not all.

The offense is pretty well intact if we can discover a receiver that can catch short passes.

Yeah, except for that whole QB position...but that's not really important.

Just kidding. I think Thompson will do a fine job as long as he gets the protection he needs.

In regards to the short passes, don't you think Powers and Dunbar will be used more effectively for short passes?

Edited by MeanGreenGlory

BEST Case 7-5

L - FIU

L - Houston

L - Alabama

W - Indiana

L - Tulsa

W - Florida Atlantic

W - Louisiana-Lafayette

W - ULM

W - Arkansas State

L - Troy

W - Western Kentucky

W - Middle Tennessee

My prediction 5-7. Start the season with some heartbreaking losses to begin 0-5. Will lose to Troy and one other Sun Belt team.

Edited by Reedypoo

BEST Case 7-5

L - FIU

L - Houston

L - Alabama

W - Indiana

L - Tulsa

W - Florida Atlantic

W - Louisiana-Lafayette

W - ULM

W - Arkansas State

L - Troy

W - Western Kentucky

W - Middle Tennessee

My prediction 5-7. Start the season with some heartbreaking losses to begin 0-5. Will lose to Troy and one other Sun Belt team.

My best case scenario involves wins over Indiana, WKU, FAU, ULL, ULM, Arky State, and MUTS. 6-6 and probably a third place SBC finish.

My worst case scenario is beating WKU and going 1-11 (sound familar?)

My guess is 3-4 wins.

Every year I convince myself that we could be 8-4 in the regular season. 2 conference losses and 2 Non-conference losses.

Non-conference will obviously be BAMA and flip a coin on the other (probably Tulsa, just to keep up with tradition)

Conference losses to FIU and....... WKU. That's right I'm calling it. Save this thread. This year our only guaranteed win will not happen. Quote me Brett.

• Downvote 1

There is no one in the Belt that NT can't beat. Likewise NT could lose to them all, but I think this is going to be a much better year than most are predicting. It is hard to see more than one win in NC but I think that NT will be in the race in the Belt, Most on the outside plus our own sportswriter deluxe see a team with questions at QB, DT and other areas and an awful 6 year record and project 2 or 3 wins.

The other side of the argument is that this is a senior laden team with a new coaching staff and outlook and should be able to continue the progress Canales and the team made last year. Back from injuries are Johnson, Leppo, Bynes, Ford, Outlaw, Sashington, Hamilton, Thompson and others. This team played very well in the second half of last year and only was beaten badly by FIU in the conference while starting the fourth string QB. I think the McCarney factor is going to be much greater than most expect. Seven or Eight wins is possible assuming nothing happens like the injury situation last year.

• Upvote 1

There is no one in the Belt that NT can't beat. Likewise NT could lose to them all, but I think this is going to be a much better year than most are predicting. It is hard to see more than one win in NC but I think that NT will be in the race in the Belt, Most on the outside plus our own sportswriter deluxe see a team with questions at QB, DT and other areas and an awful 6 year record and project 2 or 3 wins.

The other side of the argument is that this is a senior laden team with a new coaching staff and outlook and should be able to continue the progress Canales and the team made last year. Back from injuries are Johnson, Leppo, Bynes, Ford, Outlaw, Sashington, Hamilton, Thompson and others. This team played very well in the second half of last year and only was beaten badly by FIU in the conference while starting the fourth string QB. I think the McCarney factor is going to be much greater than most expect. Seven or Eight wins is possible assuming nothing happens like the injury situation last year.

Careful GrandGreen, you're buckin' the Vito :sword:

Edited by MeanGreen61

FIU L

Houston W

Alabama L

Indiana W

Tulsa L

Florida Atlantic W

Louisiana-Lafayette W

ULM L

Arkansas State W

Troy L

Western Kentucky W

Middle Tennessee W

Overall 7-5

Why? Teaching sound fundamentals, setting high standards, experienced game planning, and effective preparation can make a significant impact. I believe we will play harder and smarter this year which will reduce turn overs and penalties. I also believe we'll be more aggressive this year and have a more energetic approach to the game (see transformation that occurred when Canales took over last year). We're in good hands now, and it will show.

Let me get this straight... You have UNT beating UH, but losing to ULM? If UNT beats UH, you should have no trouble at all beating ULM unless something drastic happens between those two games.

If you're able to beat UH, I don't think you lose to FIU or Troy either.

If we can pull off the opener at FIU, just imagine the momentum that we'll have heading into the stadium opener against the Cougars. If we stay healthy and get over a likely rough Saturday at Bama, this could turn out to be a special season. On the other hand, if we don't win the opener we could be in for a rough start.

Is coach Mac playing the media ? Has he and his experience staff evaluated current players and determined that we could be much better than most think ? Sure there are holes and weaknesses, but is he playing down what he has to work with while preparing to jump start an enthusiastic group that has something to prove ? The lower the expectations the bigger the bang when the Ws start comming.

Let me get this straight... You have UNT beating UH, but losing to ULM? If UNT beats UH, you should have no trouble at all beating ULM unless something drastic happens between those two games.

I thought the same thing when I read this.

This reasoning, while logical, doesn't work when attempting to predict records or the outcome of particular games.

Maybe its based on some sort of wierd Norm stat on UNT and homecoming games. Maybe they are predicting some key injuries at about that time. Over confidence after the ULALA win?

Maybe its based on some sort of wierd Norm stat on UNT and homecoming games. Maybe they are predicting some key injuries at about that time. Over confidence after the ULALA win?

I figured it was partly based on a boost from first game in the new stadium. But I don't think the boost is greater than the gap between Houston and ULM.

I figured it was partly based on a boost from first game in the new stadium. But I don't think the boost is greater than the gap between Houston and ULM.

Don't worry NTXCoog... Many of us just have dumb opinions (myself included), but some of us like post under the influence. You're probably reading too much into a drunken post.

MeanGreenGlory, please sleep it off. You're embarrassing us.

:stupid:

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

I thought the same thing when I read this.

Okay, okay, okay...talent wise you're absolutely right. However, I'm going with the psychological play here.

Our team has never played in a facility like this before. The vast majority of our fans have never taken ownership over a facility like this before. Our coaching staff (in most recent years) has never had this much experience and energy. The opening game is going to be electric from all aspects. I think that the overall energy and excitement may be enough to push UH off balance a bit, and, as they start to stumble, it's the same energy that gives our team the edge to pull ahead and seal the deal.

I think from there we loose at Alabama, and then come home to another energetic stadium and fan base and pull off another great win against Indiana.

We go to Tulsa, play it close, but ultimately can't finish it out.

We get two conference wins against FAU and ULL. Start to feel comfortable in our own conference and then make some mistakes in the ULM game that they ultimately punish us for.

Pissed off from a loss, we win against ASU.

Troy is troy in the Sun Belt and we can't get past that this year but will next.

Finish the season strong with two wins against WKU and Middle Tennessee.

So, that's my reasoning behind my prediction. It may or may not make sense, but hey, no one really knows how this season will go down. There are a lot of variables and positive factors that we haven't had here in a long time. I'm still hoping for a 12-0 season, but think that a 5-7 win season is fairly realistic this year. :thumbsu:

Don't worry NTXCoog... Many of us just have dumb opinions (myself included), but some of us like post under the influence. You're probably reading too much into a drunken post.

MeanGreenGlory, please sleep it off. You're embarrassing us.

:stupid:

Let me finish these two guys off first -> :beerhat:

• Upvote 1

Okay, okay, okay...talent wise you're absolutely right. However, I'm going with the psychological play here.

Our team has never played in a facility like this before. The vast majority of our fans have never taken ownership over a facility like this before. Our coaching staff (in most recent years) has never had this much experience and energy. The opening game is going to be electric from all aspects. I think that the overall energy and excitement may be enough to push UH off balance a bit, and, as they start to stumble, it's the same energy that gives our team the edge to pull ahead and seal the deal.

I think from there we loose at Alabama, and then come home to another energetic stadium and fan base and pull off another great win against Indiana.

We go to Tulsa, play it close, but ultimately can't finish it out.

We get two conference wins against FAU and ULL. Start to feel comfortable in our own conference and then make some mistakes in the ULM game that they ultimately punish us for.

Pissed off from a loss, we win against ASU.

Troy is troy in the Sun Belt and we can't get past that this year but will next.

Finish the season strong with two wins against WKU and Middle Tennessee.

So, that's my reasoning behind my prediction. It may or may not make sense, but hey, no one really knows how this season will go down. There are a lot of variables and positive factors that we haven't had here in a long time. I'm still hoping for a 12-0 season, but think that a 5-7 win season is fairly realistic this year. :thumbsu:

Let me finish these two guys off first -> :beerhat:

Your whole premise only holds with a week one upset of FIU. That would be a huge confidence boost to a team that sorely needs it.

I won't even mention what a bad loss at FIU could do, cause it ain't happening!

Says the guy in Guatemala.

I decided to get a head start on both seasons so that it doesn't come across the wrong way. Since football starts with a nightmarish first month and a half, I didn't want to throw up a season countdown in the middle of a potentially bad start.

Originally, it was 3 countdowns: One for basketball season, one for Tony Mitchell Day, and one for Hot Springs. But it took up half the screen. I'll just swap out as each date comes and goes.

:goodjob::goodjob::goodjob: