Thoughts on keeping Donovan on the bench? Or, without Jozy, thoughts on putting Donovan or Dempsey up front?

I think with Jozy out they should push Dempsey up top and start Donovan and Bedoya as the outside midfielders. They can do this with a 4-4-2 (Clint paired with Agudelo) or something more similar to the 4-2-3-1 they play against Jamaica with Clint up top and (can't believe I'm saying it) Kljestan playing behind him.

I think with Jozy out they should push Dempsey up top and start Donovan and Bedoya as the outside midfielders. They can do this with a 4-4-2 (Clint paired with Agudelo) or something more similar to the 4-2-3-1 they play against Jamaica with Clint up top and (can't believe I'm saying it) Kljestan playing behind him.

I think Sacha played a very nice game against Jamaica...he helped create chances in the first, played some nice corners, had a lovely cross for Bedoya's header...and then in the second he was the one who played the PERFECTLY weighted ball to Donovan that he, for some reason, decided to hold up and play back, eventually leading to Landon being offside.

I'm with you on the 4-2-3-1...if Bradley does elect to keep Donovan on the bench (doubt it, but who knows with Bobby), I'd like to see Dempsey up front, Michael Bradley as the center mid with Sacha and Bedoya on the wings, Edu and Jones in behind...probably the same defensive alignment...maybe Ream for Goodson(?).

I think the US should stick with what worked against Jamaica. Panama had to play an extra (very intense) 30 minutes of soccer, plus the emotional ride of penalty kicks, so hopefully they are tired out a little bit. Another plus is that Blas Perez, one of the better Panamanian players got a moronic red card right after the second half stoppage time whistle, so he will not even be available for Panama.

Also, it will be very easy for the US to "get up" for this game because of the revenge factor. I think we will take it...now if Honduras will just take down Mexico....

I think Sacha played a very nice game against Jamaica...he helped create chances in the first, played some nice corners, had a lovely cross for Bedoya's header...and then in the second he was the one who played the PERFECTLY weighted ball to Donovan that he, for some reason, decided to hold up and play back, eventually leading to Landon being offside.

that was the best game he has ever played. i think he heard my criticism and was motivated.

Well, sports fans, another terrible outing by this U.S. squad...they beat a lowly squad on a prayer shot by Altidore early in the game and that's IT! The U.S. should...SHOULD being the operative word here...have won by at least 4 or 5 to ZIP! This is not good and bodes for a less than wonderful end to the Gold Cup for the U.S. I cannot figure this squad out. They seem to have no heart...no enthusiasm for the game, and seem to barley even care. I think a shake-up is needed in the line up...let's see who wants to play...I am not sure that many do...where is Donovan? Sure, he's had a nice pass and run or two, but he has pretty much been a non-factor. Dempsey, arguably our best player at the moment, cannot seem to connect even though he is working hard and the defense is adequate at best! WOW...just wow. has Bradley lost this team or is there really a team to lose? This hurts, and does not bode well for the near future. Who is coming on the be the mainstay of the U.S. team?

As for the MLS, it is a young league and is having a few growing pains, but where I fault it the most is in its lack of ability to develop players for the National Team. The quality of play in MLS seems to have dropped in the last couple of years...expansion perhaps a bit too soon thus diluting what player pool there is? If the MLS is to gain any sort of legitimacy as a pro league, it must start paying better salaries and finding ways to develop U.S. players. I know that's tough to do when there are not enough fans to support of a more financially stable league. So, we have to give the MLS time. I thought it would be much further along than it is at this time however.

Talk about playing in Europe is all well and good, but there are not enough U.S. players good enough to play overseas with any regularity at this time. That is a major problem for the U.S. Perhaps there is a group of U-17's and a few U-19's coming up that will change the fortunes of this team in a year or two, but most "promising stars" we have all come to know in the last few years have really not developed into solid international quality players. Is that coaching? Is that the development program? What the heck is it? Perhaps it is the "Donovan syndrome" at play with U.S. players. Not hungry enough to do what it takes to develop to the fullest like European players are willing to do...and Mexican and South American, etc. Perhaps U.S. players are just not hungry enough. IN Europe and in S.A. we see soccer being played and seen as a "way out" for many and a "way up". The sport has been and continues to be a "blue collar" sport embraced by the fans for the beautiful sport that it is...in the U.S. soccer is played more by "middle, upper-middle and "well-to-do" kids as an alternative to football, baseball, basketball, etc. It is dominated by select team programs and colleges who generally recruit only through the select teams...not the high school or public programs. So, I ask...is this a situation that has helped bring the U.S. squad and soccer player development in the U.S. to the position it is today? If not a major cause, is it partly to blame? I don't know. I have been involved in the select side of youth soccer for years...Club President, team manager, referee, etc., etc. Our son was recruited to play college soccer not because he was an all district goalkeeper for his HS, but because he was the goalkeeper for a very good select team playing in the highest competitive league in the north Texas area at the time. Not one recruiter ever came to one of his HS games, but several came to select tournaments that we played in during the years beginning at about age 14. I now help recruit for a college and I attend Dallas Cup, and a couple of local Showcase tournaments each year. In the 10+ years I have been doing this I have attended ONE high school game to look at a player. Maybe that needs to change id the U.S. is to ever become a year in and year out top international squad.

I don't really know, but maybe it's worth pondering. The state of the U.S. squad right now is very poor. Just watch the effort put forth in the Gold Cup against very inferior international squads and you will know in a few seconds how poorly this squad is playing. Is it time to re-evaluate Bradley? maybe 4 years is about all a U.S. team coach can handle. You will recall that Arena did not fare as well in his second term as he did in the first...this is Bradley's second term. I am beginning to wonder if it is one term to many?

Well, here comes the quarterfinals...maybe Dempsey and company will come out of their funk now that it is the knock-out round. Thoughts?

I think you've hit the nail on the head with this post. Until select squads figure out a way to get more kids from lower income families involved, they are going to artificially bottleneck our youth development in this country.

The most basic rule in the book: "practice makes perfect". Most city league youth teams practice once a week for 45 minutes. You can find teams that practice twice a week at 90 minutes a practice, but you'd have to work to find them. You can't get better without practice, and the generation that is coming up now doesn't play "outside" near as much as every generation before it...thus, if you aren't on an organized team, you're likely not out just playing a pickup game of soccer. All of it combines to put a premium on being on a select team, just so you can get enough practice and playing time to truly develop into a top-tier player, and select teams are really only an option for kids from lower-middle to upper class families.

So, we have to give the MLS time. I thought it would be much further along than it is at this time however.

It's fine. Look back at attendance figures and revenue for the NFL 15 years after it began. Pathetic. The NFL was a joke as it was a bunch of adults playing a college game.

MLS needs to tweak a few things... stop "Americanizing" the sport. Get rid of the conferences and the playoffs, award the MLS Cup to the best regular season team. Emphasize the U.S. Open Cup as the "big tournament" for America. Place more emphasis on CONCACAF Champions League as our big international tournament.

I think where MLS fails (and the whole U.S. soccer organization in general) is trying to win over fans of the NFL. The UEFA Champions League final was horribly handled by Fox. They brought in their NFL Sunday star Curt Menefee to anchor the final, and used the Fox NFL theme music. And that horrible Michael Strahan segment explaining the difference between American football and soccer... quite frankly, it was insulting.

• Upvote 1

MLS needs to tweak a few things... stop "Americanizing" the sport. Get rid of the conferences and the playoffs, award the MLS Cup to the best regular season team. Emphasize the U.S. Open Cup as the "big tournament" for America. Place more emphasis on CONCACAF Champions League as our big international tournament.

We have talked about this before... I am for getting rid of the conferences, but I think getting rid of the playoffs would "turn off" a bunch of the casual fans that many MLS clubs (including FCD) need.

We have talked about this before... I am for getting rid of the conferences, but I think getting rid of the playoffs would "turn off" a bunch of the casual fans that many MLS clubs (including FCD) need.

Unfortunately, doing away with playoffs would probably hurt total attendance...and thus revenue.

I wonder if there could be a way...maybe with some college squads, maybe with some Mexican league teams...to do a Carling or FA Cup style tournament throughout the MLS season.

Unfortunately, doing away with playoffs would probably hurt total attendance...and thus revenue.

I wonder if there could be a way...maybe with some college squads, maybe with some Mexican league teams...to do a Carling or FA Cup style tournament throughout the MLS season.

There is the Superliga with the Mexican teams, but I don't think that is exactly what you are looking for...

As I said earlier I like this formation, though the writer does go on to say that Sacha could be swapped for Bedoya, though starting inside and Clint outside.

Sacha has really impressed, very happy to see him back in form.

A couple of the comments suggest the idea of sitting Jones with his yellow in favor of Edu...Jones is card prone and would have to sit in the final, presumably, if he picked up another card against Panama. It's a tough call, but I think you have to go with your best line-up

I'm for starting Agudelo up front...Donovan, Sacha, Dempsey in the attacking mid...Jones and Bradley behind. If Agudelo isn't creating enough up front, sub Bedoya for the wing and move Dempsey up front...should we net an early goal I'd strongly consider getting Jones off in favor of Edu as quickly as possible to protect him.

USA! USA! USA! OK, you have to admit...that was one sweet pass from Donovan to Dempsey for the winning goal, right? Maybe Bradley knew what he was doining in sitting Donovan. Seems to be playing much better and with some "spunk".

Yep, "away" game for the US, but they are used to that. The Rose Bowl should have a great crowd. The US just needs to do something unusual for it, score early, and take the crowd out of the game. That will be a tall order for this squad as they start so slow. But, it is Mexico, so the "want to" will be there on Saturday. This will be a tough game top win as Mexico seems to be on top of its game right now.

Nice win against Panama...GREAT GOAL!

Note to Matt...it's extra time, not overtime! :bangin::blushing:

Dempsey Goal

Landon's pass was good, but Adu's was stellar. I definitely rolled my eyes and scratched my head when I saw him entering, but Adu did well...maybe he needs just a bit of international success to build his confidence and live up to his hype and potential.

Mexico and Honduras are in overtime, but Mexico is up by 2 now.

It looks like it is going to be a USA-Mexico Final. It will be an away game for us at the Rose Bowl. :angry:

EDIT: It is official. USA vs. Mexico on Saturday in Pasadena.

Like when Charlie Davies scored early at Azteca? Kidding aside, I agree we need to get them on their heels early, make them push and then start to commit dumb little frustration fouls.

Dempsey Goal

Landon's pass was good, but Adu's was stellar. I definitely rolled my eyes and scratched my head when I saw him entering, but Adu did well...maybe he needs just a bit of international success to build his confidence and live up to his hype and potential.

I have been wanting to see Adu play this tournament. I think he brings a skill set that no one else in the pool does and I am holding out hope that he gets his career figured out and back on track. I thought his best chance would have been against Guadeloupe, but losing to Panama wrecked the scenario I had for him. I was happy to see him play and loved the way the quickly released pass broke down their defense last night. I usually jump all over papa Bradley, but his subs last night came at the right times and each made an impact.

Edited by Army of Dad

Army...definitely agree about Bradley's use of subs. Nicely done. And, I, too, was happy to see Adu play and play well. the kid has really disappointed after coming on the scene with so much hype. maybe that was part of the problem. Too much hype way too soon for such a young kid. Freddy has great skills and he showed some against panama. I hope he does get on track, as the US certainly needs to find a few special players...and soon!

GO USA...beat Mexico!

Note to Matt...it's extra time, not overtime! :bangin::blushing:

You are technically right, but I think overtime is an acceptable term here in America...Here is a quote from the official match preview on the US Soccer Website:

•Mexico advanced to the final with a 2-0 overtime victory against Honduras in Houston on Wednesday, June 22. Aldo de Negris and Javier Hernandez scored the goals.

:rolleyes:

It is GAME DAY! GO USA!!!

You are technically right, but I think overtime is an acceptable term here in America...Here is a quote from the official match preview on the US Soccer Website:

:rolleyes:

It is GAME DAY! GO USA!!!

If the national media can determine anything on our behalf, it is acceptable terms. I mean, just look at us!

North Texas State!

non-BCS!

What upsets me infinitely more than the loss is the fact that our team had to play an away game in their own country. That crowd was about 90% for Mexico if not a little more. That is embarrassing and just sad at the same time that that can happen in this country.

Nah.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What upsets me infinitely more than the loss is the fact that our team had to play an away game in their own country. That crowd was about 90% for Mexico if not a little more. That is embarrassing and just sad at the same time that that can happen in this country.

It is soccer you know.....

concacaf wanted to assure of a sellout in a huge stadium, that's why they set it in a predominately mexican area and in the rose bowl. if they would have staged the final in seattle, qwest field, 90% americans. americans haven't gravitated to soccer yet.