25 Best Marching Bands In The Land

The reason the drumline had different uniforms, was because there were too many people in the band and not enough uniforms to go around. As for mocking the alma mater, most of those people are more loyal about UNT than majority of students. If you didn't notice at the last game last year we had an alumni band perform. of the about 150 people that performed, almost half were drummers.

I agree with you 100% seeing the alumni band at the K-State game was an impressive site. I was very proud to witness that as an alum.

I just think it's funny how many people on this board complained about the Green Brigade during the season and how much a joke the Bleacher Report is, but now all of a sudden the Green Brigade is the greatest in the land and the Bleacher Report is a respectable sports news outlet.

I respect the Green Brigade and they add a wonderful piece to everyone's game day experience, but I know when to stop the praise. Just like I love UNT and bleed green, but you're not going to hear me calling it the greatest school in America anytime soon.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

The a-line line does not do games, the b-line does. There are some guys that do both, but don't confuse seeing them as meaning it is the a-line that is on the field.

You're entitled to your opinion about the attitude/approach of the band program, but don't sit here and complain it is not the best available cats on the field.

Even the b-line is outstanding. I would venture to say that most on this board would not hear the subtle differences that separate these guys from the competitive line.

I think musically they are superior than almost all bands they face. However, the music selection is questionable, this is a football game, not a music hall attendance. Fly like an Eagle is a good song but i hate hearing it 20 times a game. We need more foot stomping, stand up and cheer type music, not intricate musical pieces.

The a-line line does not do games, the b-line does. There are some guys that do both, but don't confuse seeing them as meaning it is the a-line that is on the field.

You're entitled to your opinion about the attitude/approach of the band program, but don't sit here and complain it is not the best available cats on the field.

Even the b-line is outstanding. I would venture to say that most on this board would not hear the subtle differences that separate these guys from the competitive line.

I seriously doubt that we are fielding the absolute best of the North Texas Music department for our half time shows. I started observing the North Texas band during the era when Maurice McAdow was the gatekeeper for all the programs in the music department. In those days, if you wanted to be able to get into the Lab Band (or just about any other musical organization of your choice), you had to march (for at least one semester) along side all the music education majors.

So, unless this is still the policy, then the "best available cats" are NOT performing with the Green Brigade on any given Saturday afternoon. AND, since the A, drumline does not regularly perform with the band (if at all) then we are definitely NOT putting our best foot forward on any given fall Saturday afternoon/evening.

Let me give you one "for instance". Here is a tune that the McAdow era NT band once played while sitting in the stands...

..except that the North Texas band "jumped" into the tune with a lot more POW!, and their tempo was almost twice as fast/upbeat. I remember hearing the same tune a few years later on one of the local "music of your life" radio stations (I love Big Band), and my reaction was "damn! they sure are dragging the tempo".

Edited by SilverEagle

I love our band, but I've always wondered why the best aren't out there. This is a chance to showcase the school of music and the talent of the department, staff and students. Let's wow the crowd. I remember as a kid in the 70's, the band receiving standing ovations on numerous occassions from the opponents fans.

This will probably annoy the music-types here, but I wouldn't know if the Green Brigade was the best or the worst band out there. Sure, I want them to play the fight song and entertain us during the game with songs that get the crowd involved, but I am nowhere near the stands for halftime because it just isn't something that matters to me. I have always laughed at the people who claim that their band has never bean defeated at halftime. Its a football game. If I ever went to a UNT Music Dept. concert, I wouldn't expect to see our football team show up to practive hiking the ball during intermission, even if they were all there to support the university.

I realize that lots of people here love the Green Brigade and a huge part of our attendance is from people who are there just to watch the band march at halftime and then leave. I don't mean to begrudge you of your efforts or your support. Its just that I believe that North Texas will have reached its fullest potential when most of the people at the stadium are there to watch the football game, not the halftime march.

• Upvote 3

Let me give you one "for instance". Here is a tune that the McAdow era NT band once played while sitting in the stands...

Wow. I think stuff like that would be really amazing during timeouts and whatnot. It doesn't integrate well into halftime marching performances, but playing a unique style of music like that throughout the game, and doing it competently, would absolutely set the Green Brigade apart from other bands. That's the kind of stuff that gets people dancing in the stands -- especially when it's been a particularly good day of tailgating.

The comment about the acoustics in the new stadium is also interesting. I've seen a band that I immediately thought was better, but in retrospect, I realize it was in a completely enclosed stadium and not sitting 3 miles from the field.

But variety. Yeah, would definitely like to see some more variety. They are talented musicians, and in my book, part of that title is to have a little bit more in the repertoire.

I think everything was better in the gool ol' days. Me, I miss whale oil lamps and medical leeches.

And you punks get off my lawn.

^^ underrated reply

OK, I can't resist. I'm not a band guy, I'm an athletics guy. But I know how completely off the charts good our College of Music is. Yes, the best of our best are incredibly good. But my guess is that many of those best have no desire to be in the stands on Saturdays. If they did, they would be there. They are good enough to be able to make that choice. So be it. If they don't want to be there, I personally wouldn't want them there.

As has been mentioned, the "B line" (if you want to call it that) will still beat the pants off every other A line that it will face on Saturdays, bar none. I would rather have that than some sort of negative attitude from guys (or gals) that didn't really want to be there.

• Upvote 1

^^ underrated reply

OK, I can't resist. I'm not a band guy, I'm an athletics guy. But I know how completely off the charts good our College of Music is. Yes, the best of our best are incredibly good. But my guess is that many of those best have no desire to be in the stands on Saturdays. If they did, they would be there. They are good enough to be able to make that choice. So be it. If they don't want to be there, I personally wouldn't want them there.

As has been mentioned, the "B line" (if you want to call it that) will still beat the pants off every other A line that it will face on Saturdays, bar none. I would rather have that than some sort of negative attitude from guys (or gals) that didn't really want to be there.

While I tend to agree with the general premise that we don't want disgruntled musicians at our games, I would suggest that that is not a new situation here at North Texas. I am very sure that in the old days of Maurice McAdow, there were many would be prima donnas that didn't want to lower themselves by performing with a.....marching band. But I am also sure Mr. McAdow informed them that as a musician they rarely get to choose their musical venues, and life is about trade-offs and compromise.....so march, or no Lab Band tryout.

PerryFrog's comment just confirm my premise. Do you think that North Texas (as far back as the 50's) would have had the reputation as being the best Band in Texas (or possibly the nation) by letting it's best resources go unused?

I would like to hear from "Letsgiveacheer" on this subject.

Just to clear this up so people don't think we have people in an A line that don't perform because the music dept. is snobby or something. Back in the day (80's) the drumline started competing nationally and winning every year. So the group grew to where there were two lines. The A-Line was the competition line and only did a few games and the B line was the understudies and would fill in when the A line got to competition time.

Later this changed to where the A-Line is a separate performing group that does tours and other things with the school of music. The A-line no longer plays in the halftime show. But as was greentimer says, some of those players do play in the line with the marching band. They do this because either they want too, or need the credits as music ed majors must be in marching band 3 years. SO there is overlap but it's two different groups.

Think like the Schools' Wind Ensemble. it's the top performing band at the school. Some of those players are also in Marching Band, but it's two separate things.

• Upvote 1