Further Proof Sec Fans Are Douche-Tastic

This could have been done by a fan of any school who just laid blame on their in state rivalry, who knows? Either way several years in the state pen is too good for who ever did it.

Rick

Seeing how the caller gave exact details of what poison he used and that it would definitely kill the trees and then ended his call with "Roll Damn Tide", I think it is fairly easy to go ahead and say it was an idiot Bama fan.

I used to like Alabama. They were a team that I generally rooted for during the season. I always liked Gene Stallings as a coach. They have great uniforms, great tradition, and had Bear Bryant as their icon. But since they hired Saban and we have all seen their fanbase just show their ass to the world since that point, they are no longer worth any fandom--mine or anyone else's. I'm not a UT fan, just in case anyone thinks this is because Bama beat the Longhorns for the NCAA Title two years ago.

Edited by untjim1995

Being a fan of a University (hopefully one where you got your degree) is great. Here at NT we have longed for a large group of loyal and proud fans. But I have to say that this kind of behavior is something that North Texas fans would never even consider. And that is something that I've always been proud of about NT fans. We're few, but at least we're sane........well, most of us are.

Edited by SilverEagle

For the life of me I just don't understand this type of behavior. What did this guy think he was accomplishing other than to shed very poor light unto the University of Alabama? What he has done is to create a lot of good will and feelings for his rival while he heaps shame upon shame on the University of Alabama (regardless of whether this guy is a grad of Alabama or not). I would prefer some public humiliation, a rather large fine and public service to a long jail term where the citizens have to pay to hose and feed this idiot. A short county jail term...say 30 days...then an extended probation based on restitution and community service and fine actually paid.

Maybe they should make him bear the costs of re-planting and then make him actually do the manual labor to replace the trees...all the while Auburn fans could "cheer him on".

The guy is an idiot and has a warped sense of how to support his team. I can only hope and pray that no UNT alum or fan would act in such a manner as to bring this type of shame upon UNT. If I were the President of the University of Alabama I would already be on the phone to Auburn offering any assistance I could...and that of the University of Alabama to help right this wrong. Maybe Alabama can make some lemonade out of the lemons this guy created in the name of the University of Alabama.

I would say let other fans of Alabama (not this guy) as a good will gesture plant the new trees. I would recommend spending some big bucks to get very large replacements of the same species put in. They (donors, the school, etc.) have the $$ to make it happen. Of course I'm assuming these all die of course. Hopefully they can salvage these but it doesn't seem like that will happen.

This is certainly a reprimandible act; but it's proof as to how serious SEC fans take their football. I attended the Florida-Bama game last year at Bryant-Denny and I was amazed at the behavior of fans from both sides; including vandalism, violence, and theft to name a few. I hate to say this, but the best conference in college football also has the most passionate fans; and sometimes thsoe fans will be idiots.

This is certainly a reprimandible act; but it's proof as to how serious SEC fans take their football. I attended the Florida-Bama game last year at Bryant-Denny and I was amazed at the behavior of fans from both sides; including vandalism, violence, and theft to name a few. I hate to say this, but the best conference in college football also has the most passionate fans; and sometimes thsoe fans will be idiots.

Sorry, this in no way is "proof" of serious football fans. This is proof of one very stupid Alabama fan. Serious fans of football do not act this way, they respect the sport and the teams that play the game. Serious football fans are respectful of their opponent's' property and programs. They support their favorite team with a passion, but it is not misplaced into some stupid act of violence or other misconduct. I know what you are trying to say here, but please do not equate serious football fans with this sort of immature and destructive behavior.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is crap. I'm tired of seeing bad and downright criminal behavior being written off as "passionate fans"

• Upvote 1

If this guy really did poison the trees, he's one of the biggest dicks in college football fandom history. There seems to be some speculation. Pulled this off a thread at TideFans (because I've clearly got nothing to do right now):

FRIDAY, JANUARY 28, 2011

Toomer's Oaks are Fine(baum)- Just a Toilet Paper Overdose.

I have been watching all the traffic related to possible poisoning of Toomer's oaks. I heard over the water cooler that someone called into the Paul Finebaum Show claiming they had poisoned the Toomer's oaks with the herbicide Spike. I was very skeptical, but I knew I could quickly determine if this was true. First, never passing up a teachable moment let me do some explaining.

The herbicide in question is sold by the name "Spike",

but the active ingredient, the chemical compound that actually kills the plants, is called tebuthiuron. Tebuthiuron is very specific in its action--it essentially blocks photosynthesis from occurring. It is very specific to plants and is safe to humans.

With many herbicides, if one wants to tell if a plant has been purposely treated, one would take soil and leaf samples, extract the herbicide, and run it through some chemical analytical test to determine if the herbicide is present. This process can take weeks. But with tebuthiuron, since it specifically stops photosynthesis, a negative herbicide effect can be determined in a few minutes.

So I took my handy, dandy handheld chlorophyll fluorometer up to Toomer's Corner, clamped it on a few leaves and checked photosynthesis. Everything is fine. It has been two months since the alleged poisoning, and there should be a reduction in photosynthetic activity-- and there is not. Just in case it occurred more recently, Auburn Horticulture has taken some soil and leaf samples for future analysis, if any damage ever appears. For now that is a moot point, the trees are fine, just a little beat up from all the toilet paper clean up. I will keep checking over the next few weeks just to make sure.

To anyone who has had the idea of poisoning Toomer's oaks or killing your neighbor's tree that is blocking your satellite reception--you can easily be caught. Not only can one quickly measure photosynthesis of the plant, but the herbicide will last up to a year in the soil surface and a little longer in the killed plant. It will be very easy to catch you.

- Scott McElroy, PhD

Department of Agronomy and Soils

SIKE, he posted a follow-up on his BLOG, poisoning is legit:

FIRST POINT: I posted on this blog in late January that I did not think the poisoning occurred. This was based on no negative photosynthesis readings and just my general feeling that no one could do such a thing. Let me say as clearly as I can, and as we all know now, I was wrong in my initial post. I have thus removed this initial post. From the information I have seen recently the trees have been poisoned and Auburn officials have taken steps to deal with this problem.

FURTHER COMMENTS: As bad as we hate to admit it, the poisoning of Toomer's Oaks is real. My initial tests looking at leaf photosynthesis gave me the initial impression a poisoning had not occurred. My initial test was wrong. Everyone knew the hard work of soil sampling had to done. And what did the soil samples reveal? A dose of tebuthiuron, commonly known as the herbicide "Spike". Worst case scenario the trees will die. Best case scenario the trees will be disfigured to the point they have to be removed. But I have spoken with some weed scientists across the country and they say there is no telling what will happen. So, everyone can continue to hold your breath. For now that is my official stance-- It is difficult to predict what will happen. We well just have to wait and see.

This is a terrible, disgusting act. Words cannot express the pain this person has brought upon the Auburn Family.

Kudos to Gary Keaver, Stephen Enloe, and other involved with the soil testing to determine that the poisoning occurred. Excellent Auburn people dedicated to this situation.

Scott McElroy, PhD

@auburnturf

GREAT POST, EAGLE1855.

Edited by Eagle1855

This is crap. I'm tired of seeing bad and downright criminal behavior being written off as "passionate fans"

How is this particular case not being a "passionate fan"? The guy loves Alabama, went down to Auburn which is 30 minutes from his house, and poisoned the University's most recognized landmark because they (Auburn) beat his school (Alabama) in the Iron Bowl. I'm not writing any behavior off, but would this had happened if the guy were not a passionate Crimson Tide fan? I'll let you draw that conclusion.

How is this particular case not being a "passionate fan"? The guy loves Alabama, went down to Auburn which is 30 minutes from his house, and poisoned the University's most recognized landmark because they (Auburn) beat his school (Alabama) in the Iron Bowl. I'm not writing any behavior off, but would this had happened if the guy were not a passionate Crimson Tide fan? I'll let you draw that conclusion.

I think if you replace "passionate" with "mentally unstable", you're dead-on.