Rebuilding

GrayEagle

Brett Vito wrote about the method of rebuilding the football team in his blog yesterday.

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/

It's certainly true that the process is going to be slower with high school players vs. a quick fix from JUCOs. He's also right that the 2011 edition will not be as strong on paper as the 2010 squad. The losses of Jamaal Jackson, the quarterbacks, Gill, Drake, Santiago, Robertson, Atkinson and Kelvin Jackson cannot be matched, at least immediately, by new or existing players.

But there are some positions where we will be improved over last year. Power will be a great addition at tight end and could spring Dunbar open for some long runs. It will be good to have JJ Johnson back at center. The defensive backfield returns Ford and Cook and should be stronger than last year.

However, there are some factors that Brett did not mention in his article. First, last year's team was notorious for its underachieving. Phil Steele evaluated that they had the third best personnel in the Sun Belt but they sure didn't play like it. It was not helped by the terrible string of injuries. Most of the starters seldom came off of the field so fatigue had to be a factor. That won't be the case this year. I think that you will see tremendous improvement in coaching, speed, and morale over last year. It's a more experienced, higher paid, better achieving staff and their focus is on speed and participation. Knowing that if you work hard you stand a very good chance of playing in each game will improve morale. And, improved morale often leads to overachieving.

Vito's probably right...this doesn't appear to be a bowl team but I wouldn't totally rule it out either.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Brett Vito wrote about the method of rebuilding the football team in his blog yesterday.

It's certainly true that the process is going to be slower with high school players vs. a quick fix from JUCOs. He's also right that the 2011 edition will not be as strong on paper as the 2010 squad. The losses of Jamaal Jackson, the quarterbacks, Gill, Drake, Santiago, Robertson, Atkinson and Kelvin Jackson cannot be matched, at least immediately, by new or existing players.

But there are some positions where we will be improved over last year. Power will be a great addition at tight end and could spring Dunbar open for some long runs. It will be good to have JJ Johnson back at center. The defensive backfield returns Ford and Cook and should be stronger than last year.

However, there are some factors that Brett did not mention in his article. First, last year's team was notorious for its underachieving. Phil Steele evaluated that they had the third best personnel in the Sun Belt but they sure didn't play like it. It was not helped by the terrible string of injuries. Most of the starters seldom came off of the field so fatigue had to be a factor. That won't be the case this year. I think that you will see tremendous improvement in coaching, speed, and morale over last year. It's a more experienced, higher paid, better achieving staff and their focus is on speed and participation. Knowing that if you work hard you stand a very good chance of playing in each game will improve morale. And, improved morale often leads to overachieving.

Vito's probably right...this doesn't appear to be a bowl team but I wouldn't totally rule it out either.

The problem with Vito is that he really doesn't watch the games and I wouldn't fall into the trap of thinking he's got a handle on the nuances of football if I were you. This team can be a bowl bound team if they can fix the Defense. The Offense is fairly intact. If you look at film of the last 5 games you'll see that Dunbar broke more long runs behind the so called back-up center and left guard than any other direction. I give Drake props for even being in there most of the year because that was one hurtin player. He only played about 60% of the season. Gill was the only starting O-lineman that will be missed, but most of the other O positions will be improved upon. Now D is another story, but the anchor players are pretty good and the HC is a D "genius" we hear. We need two good D-Linemen, one good LB and another good corner. If Thompson can step in at QB, I like our chances to make a bowl game.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Plus, this should be a highly motivated staff; several of them have experienced recent career reversals with such as the unexpected and untimely firing of coaches Leavitt and Mangino, and will be on a mission to improve their lot in life.

• Upvote 1

We're in the effing Sun Belt! There aren't any traditional powers that dominate so it's a toss up every year. It surprises me that Vito doesn't seem to believe coach McCarney won't be able to get this team to edge out a few close wins, which Dodge's teams were nortorius for losing. If we can stay relatively healthy I fully expect the Mean Green to be competing for a bowl spot in the last couple weeks of the season.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

The problem with Vito is that he really doesn't watch the games and I wouldn't fall into the trap of thinking he's got a handle on the nuances of football if I were you. This team can be a bowl bound team if they can fix the Defense. The Offense is fairly intact. If you look at film of the last 5 games you'll see that Dunbar broke more long runs behind the so called back-up center and left guard than any other direction. I give Drake props for even being in there most of the year because that was one hurtin player. He only played about 60% of the season. Gill was the only starting O-lineman that will be missed, but most of the other O positions will be improved upon. Now D is another story, but the anchor players are pretty good and the HC is a D "genius" we hear. We need two good D-Linemen, one good LB and another good corner. If Thompson can step in at QB, I like our chances to make a bowl game.

on what do you base your statement that vito doesn't watch the games? just asking.

We're in the effing Sun Belt! There aren't any traditional powers that dominate so it's a toss up every year. It surprises me that Vito doesn't seem to believe coach McCarney won't be able to get this team to edge out a few close wins, which Dodge's teams were nortorius for losing. If we can stay relatively healthy I fully expect the Mean Green to be competing for a bowl spot in the last couple weeks of the season.

I would say we must start thinking of Troy as a conference "power". Of course, this term is relative to the conference we are in.

We did lose some close games over the last couple of years under the previous regime, and it sure looked to me like the team was night and day better as far as the effort put forth once Canales stepped in. IF this coaching staff can continue to get this type of effort starting with spring ball all the way through the beginning of the fall, I believe the results will be somewhere in between. I think we will see .500 ball this fall. We will win some that we shouldn't, and we will likely lose a couple that we should win. The net result will be improvement. Not a miracle, but a step in the right direction. I bet you will see a difference all the way down to their workouts this spring.

Thus ends my wild speculation about future performance.

Make your donations, help recruit our alumni back to support to mean green. Full stadiums, money given, and Dan will take care of the rest. Go mean green.

I have to agree somewhat with Vito. Right now I can't predict anything better than about a .500 record. When Canalas took over we played much better but we were still below .500. Injuries ... bad bounces ... crucial penalities ... all will happen again because they happen for every team in every season. Players are learning new schemes and techniques. Coaches are still getting to know their players.

I would be very disappointed if we finished with thre wins again. I think that only happens if things go truely horrible with injuries and bad luck. I think between 5, 6, or 7 wins is likely.

If I remember right, the Sun Belt champion is the only one that is guaranteed a bowl game. After that, the other bowl tie-ins get their pick of the Bowl Eligible teams in the Sun Belt. Someone please tell me if I am wrong on that. (it may just be the third bowl tie in that gets their choice).

IF that is the case though, depending on who the eligible teams are, 6-6 may be good enough to get to a bowl game. We travel decent, and we have a hungry fan base, so if the pizza/car bowl in Detroit is looking for a team, I imagine we would get picked over FIU, FAU, ULM, ULL, etc.

I'm with UNTCrazy727, its the Sun Belt. Yes we have some good teams, but we played close with almost everyone last year, even with a terrible string injuries. We have a new stadium thats going to be rowdy as heck, with an unbelievable new home field advantage. Even with the players we lost, I think all of our OOC games are winnable except for Alabama. Most importantly though, we have a coaching staff that knows what they are doing.

Just because Coach Mccarney does not think we look like a bowl team yet, and it seems like he is doing a full rebuild does not mean that he isn't going to go out there and try and win every freakin game we play...even Alabama. I know we aren't going to win them all, but if he can get those players as excited as he has me, we are going to win some games that we aren't supposed to this year!

Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 1

If I remember right, the Sun Belt champion is the only one that is guaranteed a bowl game. After that, the other bowl tie-ins get their pick of the Bowl Eligible teams in the Sun Belt. Someone please tell me if I am wrong on that. (it may just be the third bowl tie in that gets their choice).

IF that is the case though, depending on who the eligible teams are, 6-6 may be good enough to get to a bowl game. We travel decent, and we have a hungry fan base, so if the pizza/car bowl in Detroit is looking for a team, I imagine we would get picked over FIU, FAU, ULM, ULL, etc.

I'm with UNTCrazy727, its the Sun Belt. Yes we have some good teams, but we played close with almost everyone last year, even with a terrible string injuries. We have a new stadium thats going to be rowdy as heck, with an unbelievable new home field advantage. Even with the players we lost, I think all of our OOC games are winnable except for Alabama. Most importantly though, we have a coaching staff that knows what they are doing.

Just because Coach Mccarney does not think we look like a bowl team yet, and it seems like he is doing a full rebuild does not mean that he isn't going to go out there and try and win every freakin game we play...even Alabama. I know we aren't going to win them all, but if he can get those players as excited as he has me, we are going to win some games that we aren't supposed to this year!

Go Mean Green!

The New Orleans and Mobile bowls are guarantees.

I doubt anyone in the administration or current coaching staff would be satisfied with a four year rebuilding project. I think Vito is over analyzing a bunch of coach speck that McCarney spewed in his recruiting press conference. I really did not like the tone of McCarney's talk but it is very typical of new coaches, bemoaning what talent is here and trying to lower expectations. All the better when the team turns it around or a build in excuse if they don't. The team with all their injuries and coaching disarray was not that far away from contending for the Belt last year. It is extremely rare that teams don't have big personnel loses every year. Gill, Robinson, Jackson, Jackson, Dodge and Atkinsson were all good players but none are not replaceable. Failure to sign a boatload of juco in my view is a good thing, not a white flag.

• Upvote 2

I tend to like the fact that UNT did not land a boatload of JUCO guys. If UNT is going to build for the long-term it should do so with HS signees and walk-on's, etc. A few JUCO's, well, OK, but to build your team around JUCO's for a quick fix is asking for long term trouble in my opinion. I can be patient as the team builds as i think the "being patient" part will not be nearly as long as some think. I see more wins on the horizon than losses.

GO MEAN GREEN! Good things are indeed happening for the Mean Green.

The New Orleans and Mobile bowls are guarantees.

Thats not what I was getting at...I know the SBC has a guaranteed spot in those two games, and the third is a backup spot, but I thought I saw somewhere where the particular teams that go are not guaranteed. The SBC #1, is guaranteed a spot in one of them, but after that team chooses which invite to take, I thought it was up to the bowl games themselves to take their pick of the remaining bowl eligible SBC teams, and not necessarily just go down the line of the final conference standings. Like last year, if we had been bowl eligible as well, surely the Detroit game would have chosen us over FIU...the mobile bowl may be guaranteed for the SBC #2. I figured someone on here knew for sure.

From the time that Canales took over, I saw a decimated team that almost totally came back to life when it was properly coached/motivated....but mostly the offense. If Coach McCarney and his (mostly) new defensive staff can do the same for the defensive side of the ball, then we have a contender for the 'Belt Championship and a trip to N.O.

I don't see the loss of our two starting D-linemen as all that devastating, because I was never that impressed with them in the first place. My hope/fantasy is that McCarney and his defensive staff have looked every defensive player in the eye and extracted a commitment from each of them to step up their game and live up to their collective potentials.

One of the reasons that I have this hope/fantasy is because of a brief conversation that I had after the Kansas St. game with one of the D-line players....Bradon McCoy. I came up to him and told him that I was glad that he was part of the Mean Green family. Mr. McCoy smiled and thanked me and then said "next year I promise that there will be more wins". I responded by saying that I appreciated his commitment, but that as long as he was committed to making himself a better player each year, and encouraged his teammates to do the same, the wins would naturally happen.

SO! call me a pom-pom shaking optimist if you wish, but between this one motivated player, and what I assume to be a group of motivated defensive staff, I have hope that we will have a much better record than last season.

• Upvote 1

From the time that Canales took over, I saw a decimated team that almost totally came back to life when it was properly coached/motivated....but mostly the offense. If Coach McCarney and his (mostly) new defensive staff can do the same for the defensive side of the ball, then we have a contender for the 'Belt Championship and a trip to N.O.

I don't see the loss of our two starting D-linemen as all that devastating, because I was never that impressed with them in the first place. My hope/fantasy is that McCarney and his defensive staff have looked every defensive player in the eye and extracted a commitment from each of them to step up their game and live up to their collective potentials.

One of the reasons that I have this hope/fantasy is because of a brief conversation that I had after the Kansas St. game with one of the D-line players....Bradon McCoy. I came up to him and told him that I was glad that he was part of the Mean Green family. Mr. McCoy smiled and thanked me and then said "next year I promise that there will be more wins". I responded by saying that I appreciated his commitment, but that as long as he was committed to making himself a better player each year, and encouraged his teammates to do the same, the wins would naturally happen.

SO! call me a pom-pom shaking optimist if you wish, but between this one motivated player, and what I assume to be a group of motivated defensive staff, I have hope that we will have a much better record than last season.

I hope Mr. McCoy sees A LOT more of the field this fall. :sword:

The Belt champion is guaranteed a spot, but New Orleans and Mobile rotate on first choice and the champ is NOT guaranteed to be chosen first. The bowls and the league cooperate on getting the best match ups available. A history of selling tickets is a function of creating a good match up. So is meeting expectations of ticket sales. Playing well and hard is as important as winning the bowl.

I like your attitude.

• Upvote 1