Rebuilding

GrayEagle

on what do you base your statement that vito doesn't watch the games? just asking.

I base it on his stories. They're almost like he talks to some coaches and players and writes what they say. I have seen so many mistakes in his columns about little things like naming players in games that are not playing in that game. Also, he doesn't watch anyone but the QB & RB, maybe a little WR; no defense. Very weak reporting if you ask me!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

However, there are some factors that Brett did not mention in his article. First, last year's team was notorious for its underachieving. Phil Steele evaluated that they had the third best personnel in the Sun Belt but they sure didn't play like it. It was not helped by the terrible string of injuries. Most of the starters seldom came off of the field so fatigue had to be a factor. That won't be the case this year. I think that you will see tremendous improvement in coaching, speed, and morale over last year. It's a more experienced, higher paid, better achieving staff and their focus is on speed and participation. Knowing that if you work hard you stand a very good chance of playing in each game will improve morale. And, improved morale often leads to overachieving.

The team will also play better because they will be taught the importance of fundamentals and execution. Two crucial aspects that we have lacked for a number of years. I think we have a shot at being better than .500 next season.

This team will go as our D-Line play goes.

As I understand it, last year the defensive tackles were mostly gap-fillers. This year they will have different rush schemes in part to allow for blitzes. We have some decent defensive ends and I hope that they will be used effectively.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

As I understand it, last year the defensive tackles were mostly gap-fillers. This year they will have different rush schemes in part to allow for blitzes. We have some decent defensive ends and I hope that they will be used effectively.

You are informed...Thankyou!

We lost a ton of linemen.

This season will go on how their replacements perform.

I know everyone is worrying about the QB position but you don't need great QB play if you can hand the ball off the the RB's we have and have time to stand in the pocket and wait for the coverage to break down.

On the defensive side, our two DT's occupied blockers so that they couldn't get to the second level. It's not glamorous, but if we can't find someone to replace them I expect to see some "fire the DC" posts come November.

Football is all about the linemen.

Football is all about the linemen.

And it's the biggest difference between the upper-echelon power conference programs and the Sun Belts and Conference USAs of the world (which I think is the reason the spread was initially deemed the great equalizer, until defenses adapted). A solid front 7 can make average DBs look good, just like a good O-line can make decent RB into a star.