This Is Why I Love Smu

emmitt01

The news of Mitchell hit ponyfans.com and immediately it was "the NCAA is after him for forged transcripts" and "I bet he works out for NBA scouts and never sees the floor at UNT". Love it, love it, love it.

What kind of R-Tards do they produce over there? What's the point in enrolling if in a few months he intends to declare for the draft or go to europe?

Man, they're stupid.

did you mean kinda like they take mandatory fashion classes as frosh in order to stand out in a crowd?

motivational-poster-pink-popped-collar-douche-bags.jpg

Now you tell me that half of the SMU bars in uptown aren't filled with the likes of these guys?

Half?

P.S. Their new argument is that North Texas "lowered our academic standards to embarrassing levels". They wonder how we could have "sold our soul for basketball success." Pot...meet kettle? Kettle of course being Eric Dickerson's stage name.

• Upvote 1

Half?

P.S. Their new argument is that North Texas "lowered our academic standards to embarrassing levels". They wonder how we could have "sold our soul for basketball success." Pot...meet kettle? Kettle of course being Eric Dickerson's stage name.

Surely these quotes were not made by anyone who has a college degree. I particularly like the quote that NT standards are lower than the NCAAs. I wonder how that is supposed to work, Maybe NT is going to start their own association and not be subject to NCAA standards.

I love message board banner, especially about academics. Being it is fairly easy to look up a school;s basic standards, I wonder about people that make stupid statements with no effort of substantiation. SMU is the last school who should be questioning any universities' athletic standards or ethics. On one hand you have SMU; one of the most notorious rule benders and the only school in the nation to get the death penalty; on the other you have NT with no NCAA violations.

Whether Mitchell makes it or not, it is obvious that there are mustang fans who are envious and maybe a little afraid. Hell, they won't play anyone in non conference now, I doubt the odds of every playing them is remote with the classes JJ is bringing in.

Also interesting that some Smu fans would not want such an academically inferior school as NT in the vaulted CUSA. I wonder if they checked the standards of UTEP, USM and Houston which are similar or in the case of USM way below NT.

First off, there really isn't much talk about Mitchell over there, just a single thread. Second, you guys all know that between Mitchell and Henry, you still don't have one qualified kid. Even your own guys were on the SMU board last week making fun of Henry, questioning if anyone was throwing his future away as bad as he is, and I responded Mitchell, which was well before either were rumored to you. UNT guy responded 'touche' etc. People are making fun of UNT academically b/c they can, not b/c its a cheap shot. You open yourself up when you bring on those types of kids. That said, you have loopholes other schools don't, so kudos if they matriculate.

SMU is 13 deep next year, nobody is sweating UNT. We don't even play. It's funny more than a bitter thing. We've been onto '12 for months now. FWIW, very strong rumors that TJ Taylor will be a Mustang. Same folks that knew about Williams months beforehand

Edited by HoopManX
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 14

First off, there really isn't much talk about Mitchell over there, just a single thread. Second, you guys all know that between Mitchell and Henry, you still don't have one qualified kid. Even your own guys were on the SMU board last week making fun of Henry, questioning if anyone was throwing his future away as bad as he is, and I responded Mitchell, which was well before either were rumored to you. UNT guy responded 'touche' etc. People are making fun of UNT academically b/c they can, not b/c its a cheap shot. You open yourself up when you bring on those types of kids. That said, you have loopholes other schools don't, so kudos if they matriculate.

SMU is 13 deep next year, nobody is sweating UNT. We don't even play. It's funny more than a bitter thing. We've been onto '12 for months now. FWIW, very strong rumors that TJ Taylor will be a Mustang. Same folks that knew about Williams months beforehand

Were you guys at least smart enough not to ask Rick Perry to be involved this time?

Surely these quotes were not made by anyone who has a college degree. I particularly like the quote that NT standards are lower than the NCAAs. I wonder how that is supposed to work, Maybe NT is going to start their own association and not be subject to NCAA standards.

I love message board banner, especially about academics. Being it is fairly easy to look up a school;s basic standards, I wonder about people that make stupid statements with no effort of substantiation. SMU is the last school who should be questioning any universities' athletic standards or ethics. On one hand you have SMU; one of the most notorious rule benders and the only school in the nation to get the death penalty; on the other you have NT with no NCAA violations.

Whether Mitchell makes it or not, it is obvious that there are mustang fans who are envious and maybe a little afraid. Hell, they won't play anyone in non conference now, I doubt the odds of every playing them is remote with the classes JJ is bringing in.

Also interesting that some Smu fans would not want such an academically inferior school as NT in the vaulted CUSA. I wonder if they checked the standards of UTEP, USM and Houston which are similar or in the case of USM way below NT.

UTEP and UH also have lower admission standards than UNT, as does Marshall. UTEP is virtually open admissions and UH has had lower admission standards than UNT at least since 1996. That will change in 2012 when UH raises theirs in two phases (increases yet again in 2014). We need to be increasing our standards as well, but it's not hard to conduct some quick and easy research and find that UNT's stated standards for general, unconditional freshman admission are the fifth highest in the state for public universities, behind UT, TAMU, UTD, and TTU.

But knowing any of that wouldn't fit in with SMU's preferred view of North Texas. So they remain ignorant a$$holes.

• Upvote 2

The NCAA sets standards for student-athletes. The NCAA does not set standards for all students at all schools. The individual school sets the academic requirements for students that attend the school. He is currently attending UNT as a student not a student-athlete. He did not meet NCAA standards that is why he is not playing at Mizzou. He was accepted into UNT and is attending class there. So yes UNT's standards are lower then the NCAA if they are allowing a student that is not academically eligible under the NCAA standards to participate in athletics attend their school. That being said this a really good situation for UNT if he is able to get the grades and play he should be a difference maker. As I understand it, he has to pay his own way until December, So he doesn't really take up a scholarship. If he can't pass by December no harm done to UNT. It is definitely a chance worth taking but I think it would be a little naive to say it doesn't look bad academically.

• Downvote 2

Again, why do we care what some non-research-level Vanderbilt copycat thinks about us? Let them get some programs every other school has (like say, a masters in political science), drop some of their DeVry-level masters programs (like game programming, liberal studies and urban ministry), and then we can worry what they think.

The NCAA sets standards for student-athletes. The NCAA does not set standards for all students at all schools. The individual school sets the academic requirements for students that attend the school. He is currently attending UNT as a student not a student-athlete. He did not meet NCAA standards that is why he is not playing at Mizzou. He was accepted into UNT and is attending class there. So yes UNT's standards are lower then the NCAA if they are allowing a student that is not academically eligible under the NCAA standards to participate in athletics attend their school. That being said this a really good situation for UNT if he is able to get the grades and play he should be a difference maker. As I understand it, he has to pay his own way until December, So he doesn't really take up a scholarship. If he can't pass by December no harm done to UNT. It is definitely a chance worth taking but I think it would be a little naive to say it doesn't look bad academically.

Jeez, more of the obvious. He is not eligible under NCAA standards and I assume is a special admit at NT. Most athletes at UT for instance are special admits as there is no way they would be admitted as regular students. I am not going to use the old Troy excuse and state that Troy should be lauded for giving these players a chance. It is obvious to me that NT would not enroll regular students under these conditions, however I think NT can take the "it looks bad academically" hit as would obviously Missouri if they could get by their conference rules.

SMU CAN GO SUCK A BIG FAT ONE....I HATE THAT SCHOOL WITH ALL MY LIFE AND IF EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM DROPPED DEAD I WOULD NOT SHEAD A SINGLE TEAR. YOU DOUCHES ON PONYFANS THAT READ THIS....STICK THAT BIG FAT ONE WHERE THE SUN DOESN'T SHINE. :ass:

...had to get that off my chest, feel much better now.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

You guys don't "sweat" UNT because you don't have the balls to play us. You can come back with whatever douchey remark you want, but that is the truth. A post by you over here that actually contributes something is rare. Most of the time you just use them to take backhanded cheap shots at UNT Athletics and/or academics, and worst of all our potential student-athletes.

What is the most absurd thing, is SMU people saying what an embarrasment it is for UNT to be letting these kids in to school, and it being a "blackball" for conference realignment. It really just proves the ignorance of you people when we have higher academic standards than several CUSA schools.

But hey, you're right. Clearly it is much better to be associated with a hypocritical religious (not a knock on religion, just SMU) school that is famous not for its successes or good deeds, but for its blatantly unethical behavior, and most of all its baffling epidemic of unbridled arrogance.

• Upvote 6

Well, I didn't think it would be long before the know everything college expert would chime in. I am glad SMU is 13 deep and is not about to play a legitimate local school as long as they can continue their ridiculously weak oc schedule. I love someone from SMU talking about loopholes. There is a big difference in taking advantage of loopholes and fragrantly disregarding the rules. . As far as academics, I have attended both schools and neither is particularly stellar. I did however enjoy both and continue to be amazed by the stereotypes that fans of both throw at each other. SMU has substantially increased their selectivity over the last decade and NT has also although much slower. SMU is more selective, but NT blows SMU away on education for the dollar.

Forget academics, this is an athletic forum and any discussions relative to NT and SMU basketball are now overwhelming in NT's favor. A look at the recent records and the fact that SMU will not play NT is all telling.

SMU CAN GO SUCK A BIG FAT ONE....I HATE THAT SCHOOL WITH ALL MY LIFE AND IF EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM DROPPED DEAD I WOULD NOT SHEAD A SINGLE TEAR. YOU DOUCHES ON PONYFANS THAT READ THIS....STICK THAT BIG FAT ONE WHERE THE SUN DOESN'T SHINE. :ass:

...had to get that off my chest, feel much better now.

Now, that is helpful.

I think it funny that you honestly think SMU doesn't do this.

Stupid post.

Well, I didn't think it would be long before the know everything college expert would chime in. I am glad SMU is 13 deep and is not about to play a legitimate local school as long as they can continue their ridiculously weak oc schedule. I love someone from SMU talking about loopholes. There is a big difference in taking advantage of loopholes and fragrantly disregarding the rules. . As far as academics, I have attended both schools and neither is particularly stellar. I did however enjoy both and continue to be amazed by the stereotypes that fans of both throw at each other. SMU has substantially increased their selectivity over the last decade and NT has also although much slower. SMU is more selective, but NT blows SMU away on education for the dollar.

Forget academics, this is an athletic forum and any discussions relative to NT and SMU basketball are now overwhelming in NT's favor. A look at the recent records and the fact that SMU will not play NT is all telling.

Hmm, interesting. I get an email almost weekly from them to join the engineering masters program with waivers for GMAT scores. Not really waiving the scores as much as waiving the entire test itself. It's probably because they are struggling to fill classes.

Trust me when I say that I didn't have the highest GPA at UNT and I could be a student at SMU tomorrow with all bills paid and not have to take a test, or submit referrals, or letters. They are BEGGING people to join their empty classes.

I think you are misunderstanding Tony's eligibility status. From what I gathered/heard, his credits didn't transfer or the Florida school in question was not cleared by the Clearinghouse. That is why he was tagged "prequal", not an ineligible.

There is no telling at this point, but if the said school was cleared he could be playing for Mizz right now.

Someone else please correct me if I am wrong.

Regarding your first paragraph. This is pretty funny coming from a school that graduated Eric Dickerson, Carl Wright, etc... that can't properly use the English language. The NCAA mandates eligibility to play based upon academics, not on whether someone can enter a school. I bet he could have done the same at Missouri, SMU, etc... but chose NT because it is less expensive considering he would have to pay out of state tuition at Missouri or private school tuition at SMU. People that make fun of NT academically do so because they are ignorant and don't have their facts straight.

Your second paragraph is laughable. SMU doesn't play NT, because they don't want to, are afraid to, or whatever. Trust me, we are up for a game at any time and our administration doesn't run away when things don't turn out the way we want them to or is we are having a down year.

Must be tough to look in the mirror some days.

• Upvote 2