Chancellor Jackson Discusses Tier One Drive On Kera

Harry

I know that people have strong opinions about UNT at Dallas but my girlfriend is looking at finishing her degree there. There really are no other options if you want public and Richardson is way too far to drive. I just wish that it had remained a satellite campus rather than choosing to be a stand on its own entity. I was pleasantly surprised by the academic rigor required to be accepted. Jackson did a pretty good job of seeing that through.

Edited by stebo

I thought Jackson did a good job in this interview. It would be nice and probably in his best interest if he was a lot more visible and promoted NT a lot more. The fiefdom he is building in Dallas is not in the best interest of NT or the system. This is one of the rare times he has ever been publicly involved with NT and he is probable less involved with the Fort Worth medical school. i unlike many think that UNT-D is not a bad thing or the new law school but by far the most important thing in the system is to grow NT at Denton. No, I don't want Jackson trying to run NT, but he was hired supposedly because of his political influence. Apparently, that influence doesn't expand much out of Dallas county. It is amazing to me that a local politician was ever made the chancellor of a Texas college system. Compare his background with UT, A&M, Tech or UH leaders and it makes you wonder why Jackson was ever put into this position and why the BOR backs him.

I thought Jackson did a good job in this interview. It would be nice and probably in his best interest if he was a lot more visible and promoted NT a lot more. The fiefdom he is building in Dallas is not in the best interest of NT or the system. This is one of the rare times he has ever been publicly involved with NT and he is probable less involved with the Fort Worth medical school. i unlike many think that UNT-D is not a bad thing or the new law school but by far the most important thing in the system is to grow NT at Denton. No, I don't want Jackson trying to run NT, but he was hired supposedly because of his political influence. Apparently, that influence doesn't expand much out of Dallas county. It is amazing to me that a local politician was ever made the chancellor of a Texas college system. Compare his background with UT, A&M, Tech or UH leaders and it makes you wonder why Jackson was ever put into this position and why the BOR backs him.

1]our state charter is to be a regional university system 2]people,power,money, and regional politics are in BIG D, not little d. 3]we now have a law school. whether our state needed one is subject for debate 4]if Jackson can get us a school of pharmacy, which our state does need, then in my book he has done well.5]i don't know if it is his job to grow the denton campus, or that is the responsibility of Dr.Rawlings. i do think that Jackson's 3 main jobs at this point is to continue to grow the dallas campus, get the dallas law school up and running, and secure a college of pharmacy for the denton campus. this is just an old man's opinion. if i understand correctly, the law school will be named the university of north texas at dallas school of law, not the university of north texas school of law at dallas. if so, this means to me that long term the dallas campus will assume more importance in our system.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think our system will end up with our main campus in Denton being a major institution, the medical and law schools standing by themselves, and a few small sattelite schools like the Dallas campus offering the Applied Arts/Science type degrees and being a place where kids who aren't quite up to the standards of the Denton campus can get up to snuff.

• Downvote 1

I think our system will end up with our main campus in Denton being a major institution, the medical and law schools standing by themselves, and a few small sattelite schools like the Dallas campus offering the Applied Arts/Science type degrees and being a place where kids who aren't quite up to the standards of the Denton campus can get up to snuff.

Actually, the last time I looked, the academic admittance standards were exactly the same for both UNTD and UNT.

• Upvote 1

1]our state charter is to be a regional university system 2]people,power,money, and regional politics are in BIG D, not little d. 3]we now have a law school. whether our state needed one is subject for debate 4]if Jackson can get us a school of pharmacy, which our state does need, then in my book he has done well.5]i don't know if it is his job to grow the denton campus, or that is the responsibility of Dr.Rawlings. i do think that Jackson's 3 main jobs at this point is to continue to grow the dallas campus, get the dallas law school up and running, and secure a college of pharmacy for the denton campus. this is just an old man's opinion. if i understand correctly, the law school will be named the university of north texas at dallas school of law, not the university of north texas school of law at dallas. if so, this means to me that long term the dallas campus will assume more importance in our system.

Regional charter or not, the chancellor of a system should be primarily involved with the flagship of the system which is in Denton not Dallas. All other systems chancellors to my knowledge live and work near the flagship campus not 35 miles away, Even if you consider the NT system as a regional system, it would serve the Metroplex not Dallas and as such would could be administered out of Fort Worth or Denton just as easy as Dallas. Sure UNTD will gain more importance as they grow, but the fact is it is currently has around 5% of the students and less than that in facilities. The truth is that Jackson could be more effective operating out of Denton and this would save money reducing the duplication of resources and not significantly alter obtaining either a pharmacy or law school.

Where he is, is more symbolic than material but his priorities are what is important. I've seen him promoting a law school and UNTD but seldom doing the same for NT. That is way the KERA interview was noteworthy. He came across as knowledgeable but IMO showed little passion. Our ex president did a much better job on a similar forum and I bet that NT's current president would also be more impressive. I still don't understand why NT ended up with a low level bureaucrat as chancellor when there were so many much more qualified people available.

• Downvote 1

He came across as knowledgeable but IMO showed little passion.

I think this was intentional. The interview was about Texas Universities (not just UNT) getting tier 1 status. I'm sure KERA didn't ask him to come on the show just to promote UNT. It's like when you are invited to speak at an industry conference, you can mention what company you work for, but you are really suppose to talk about something that impacts the whole industry. If you just talked about how great your company is, they won't invite you back.

I was really upset that the Law School will be UNT at Dallas School of Law. In the future can this be changed to be tied to the main campus?

I've heard credible rumors that the work on remodeling the old Municipal Courts building for the UNT Dallas Law School campus simply came to a stop at some point after budget cutbacks/priority changes by the City of Dallas in the fall of 2009. It seems there's been little news about the proposed law school lately, and I'll see if I can find out anything as to any progress. There were certainly some news items about changing the location of classes for the startup to the UCD building, but since it was being used for other classes during the day, that the law school would start up as night classes only.

Here's something from the NT Daily last summer; looks like the first class is projected to start in fall 2012 now:

NT Daily on delays for UNT Dallas Law School

Edited by eulessismore

I think they accepted applications in the Fall and are about to hire a Dean and here's the link: http://untsystem.unt...ol-2/index.html

Harry, I've read that link before, and I think the one I posted for the NT Daily correctly states that enrollment has been postponed until the Fall 2011 semester, for classes to being in Fall 2012. Also, it mentioned the difficulty being experienced in hiring the right dean (and I'm sure it would require someone willing and able to take on a tremendous challenge). And I agree with the university spokesperson that's it's more important to do it right than to do it fast.