Worst Case Realignment

KoldBeer

For regional rivalry's sake, yes... but for conference credibility, you'd rather have NMSU and La Tech.

This.

Plus, if the SBC invites LTU and NMSU you might very well close the door for the foreseeable future on TSU-SM and UTSA's ability to move up which I see as a good thing. There are too many FBS schools in Texas fighting for recruits and I think the potential risks of them moving up outweigh the rewards. Plus if the WAC were to survive you might have even more in Texas trying to move up like Lamar or even Stephen and Sam. Ugh!!!!

Edited by UNTX
  • Upvote 2

I love the Mountain West and love Rebel basketball and Lobo Hoops, but if SJSU and USU are in there the conference the conference really takes a strength hit in my eyes. It will be the WAC we essentially avoided all of these years. I am not sure we don't set our sights on the new Big 12. Call me crazy but CUSA is not going to open for us unless the BE move agains. BE has TCU so they don't need us. MWC will want Texas down the line and they are not going to get UTEP away from the other Texas schools. They have officially settled into the Rice, H-Town and SMU fold and are happy. They may want us later but I think we should position ourselves for the Big 12 at this point. Win the Belt, continue going dancing and we will be just fine. We are investing too much to associate with the likes of the northern Aggies and Spartans for crying out loud.

As for the Sun Belt why not a name change with the addition of the Southern Aggies and La Tech? This is not a bad league with FAU, FIU, Troy, Middle, Us, NMSU, Arkie State, the Ragin Cajuns and La Tech. How about the Great Gulf Conference or the Mountain South Conference, something that repositions us as a new league which we will be after the Bulldogs and Aggies come on board.

GMG

As for the Sun Belt why not a name change with the addition of the Southern Aggies and La Tech? This is not a bad league with FAU, FIU, Troy, Middle, Us, NMSU, Arkie State, the Ragin Cajuns and La Tech. How about the Great Gulf Conference or the Mountain South Conference, something that repositions us as a new league which we will be after the Bulldogs and Aggies come on board.

GMG

I'm pretty sure ArkStFan said if we change the name, it counts as a new conference and we lose our NCAA auto tournament invites in all sports for a few years. Don't quote me on that, but I'm pretty sure that was posted awhile back when new Belt names were discussed.

I love the Mountain West and love Rebel basketball and Lobo Hoops, but if SJSU and USU are in there the conference the conference really takes a strength hit in my eyes. It will be the WAC we essentially avoided all of these years. I am not sure we don't set our sights on the new Big 12. Call me crazy but CUSA is not going to open for us unless the BE move agains. BE has TCU so they don't need us. MWC will want Texas down the line and they are not going to get UTEP away from the other Texas schools. They have officially settled into the Rice, H-Town and SMU fold and are happy. They may want us later but I think we should position ourselves for the Big 12 at this point. Win the Belt, continue going dancing and we will be just fine. We are investing too much to associate with the likes of the northern Aggies and Spartans for crying out loud.

GMG

I'm all for re-branding the Sun Belt with a new name. The name has been used before, but why no American South Conference. Or, American South Athletic Conference. Whatever, the conference needs a makeover starting with the name.

GMG

If a new Big 12 gets formed, I assume it will still be as an AQ league. I think the only way it gets formed is if Texas becomes an independent. If that happened, immediately, A&M and OU will go to the SEC. That would leave the conference with KU, KSU, ISU, Mizzou, OSU, Tech, and Baylor. I personally believe that Mizzou will end up in the Big Ten eventually and that the Kansas schools will eventually join the Big East. But let's assume that they don't leave. At that point, lots of teams will be pin-pointed for an invite. TCU, UH, BYU, Memphis, UNM, Colorado State, etc..would be considered before us. Now, Baylor could block TCU (lots of bad blood here) I think eveyone would agree that UH would be a lock, so that gets you to 8 teams for sure. I then see Memphis being added for the market and for the bowl game, plus a strong basketball program, so now we are at 9. If offered, TCU would drop the Big East in a heartbeat for this conference, so that would get you to 10. If they wanted to go beyond 10, I could easily see BYU jumping, so that gets to 11. Now, the next team offered to get to 12, would be interesting, as those old MWC teams might not ever change, but a school like Colorado State can argue that they deliver the Colorado markets and they would get a huge raise if they left.

As for us, I just can't see Baylor or Tech allowing us to join their league. I think that both would just have to bite their lips to consider UH and TCU as conference mates. The hardest thing that we have to deal with is that we have no other current FBS Texas school that wants to be in a conference with us. Sure, Texas State and UTSA would love it, but the schools we all want to be associated with have shown us that they want nothing to do with us. Our way upward is going to have to be a lot like TCU's has been. Winning their conference, beating OOC teams, and winning your bowl games. That's not even counting games they lost competitively against other top teams. What they did was basically say, the current Big 12 doesn't want us and never will want us, so let's do the same thing to the other Texas schools and make our own way. It worked better than anyone could have imagined. And it can be easily copied if you can duplicate the winning. I believe that McCarney and the new stadium could very easily bring more success to Denton than anyone since Fry, and an invite to the current MWC and future success (like TCU had) would provide MAJOR attention to our program. It cannot happen in the SBC--voters, media members, other conferences, and fans put no value in this league. Even when we beat teams from a peer conference (MAC) in bowl games 2-1 like this past year, we still get picked as the worst conference nationally.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1

If a new Big 12 gets formed, I assume it will still be as an AQ league. I think the only way it gets formed is if Texas becomes an independent. If that happened, immediately, A&M and OU will go to the SEC. That would leave the conference with KU, KSU, ISU, Mizzou, OSU, Tech, and Baylor. I personally believe that Mizzou will end up in the Big Ten eventually and that the Kansas schools will eventually join the Big East. But let's assume that they don't leave. At that point, lots of teams will be pin-pointed for an invite. TCU, UH, BYU, Memphis, UNM, Colorado State, etc..would be considered before us. Now, Baylor could block TCU (lots of bad blood here) I think eveyone would agree that UH would be a lock, so that gets you to 8 teams for sure. I then see Memphis being added for the market and for the bowl game, plus a strong basketball program, so now we are at 9. If offered, TCU would drop the Big East in a heartbeat for this conference, so that would get you to 10. If they wanted to go beyond 10, I could easily see BYU jumping, so that gets to 11. Now, the next team offered to get to 12, would be interesting, as those old MWC teams might not ever change, but a school like Colorado State can argue that they deliver the Colorado markets and they would get a huge raise if they left.

As for us, I just can't see Baylor or Tech allowing us to join their league. I think that both would just have to bite their lips to consider UH and TCU as conference mates. The hardest thing that we have to deal with is that we have no other current FBS Texas school that wants to be in a conference with us. Sure, Texas State and UTSA would love it, but the schools we all want to be associated with have shown us that they want nothing to do with us. Our way upward is going to have to be a lot like TCU's has been. Winning their conference, beating OOC teams, and winning your bowl games. That's not even counting games they lost competitively against other top teams. What they did was basically say, the current Big 12 doesn't want us and never will want us, so let's do the same thing to the other Texas schools and make our own way. It worked better than anyone could have imagined. And it can be easied copied if you can duplicate the winning. I believe that McCarney and the new stadium could very easily bring more success to Denton than anyone since Fry, and an invite to the current MWC and future success (like TCU had) would provide MAJOR attention to our program. It cannot happen in the SBC--voters, media members, other conferences, and fans put no value in this league. Even when we beat teams from a peer conference (MAC) in bowl games 2-1 like this past year, we still get picked as the worst conference nationally.

haha, did you really just say a conference with the core of Ok St., Texas Tech, Baylor and Iowa St. would be able to get an auto-bid? TCU would not want to leave the Big East, as this would soon be dropped from AQ status...

that being said though... if UT goes independent any time in the next 4 years, the BCS falls apart...