Gmg.com Basketball Game

KRAM1

So, I just thought I'd float this out here to see if there are enough people interested in participating in such a game to make it "doable". No firm dates/times as yet but looking at a Saturday in March to give us enough time to sort out details, talk to UNT folks and dept. personnel, perhaps find a sponsor or two, get shirts designed and printed, book the courts, etc.

With all that, and knowing that the proceeds would go to help support the UNT Cheer Squad...who wold have some interest in playing and/or participating on some level?

I have about three (including me) interested in helping set it up and run the thing, but more folks are certainly welcome to volunteer in that area as well...

Should it be a co-ed event? I know some ladies who could run circles around some guys I know who think they can play some ball...just saying....

OK, so if you have some interest...please post so we can see if we are to move forward...I vote to get this going, but "it ain't up to just me".

I would be interested in playing in this, for that matter, I would be interested in being able to play basketball.

There are several very good reasons why I wrestled in high school. Like getting cut from the 7th and 8th grade basketball teams, being short, not a good jumper, bad shooter, poor dribbler :notfair: . I reached average height, but never developed much in the way of basketball skills. Kram, if you need/want someone to fill out the teams I will try to make it. Saturdays in March is baseball season for my kid. I won't know for some time what his schedule is going to be...

I would be interested in playing in this, for that matter, I would be interested in being able to play basketball.

There are several very good reasons why I wrestled in high school. Like getting cut from the 7th and 8th grade basketball teams, being short, not a good jumper, bad shooter, poor dribbler :notfair: . I reached average height, but never developed much in the way of basketball skills. Kram, if you need/want someone to fill out the teams I will try to make it. Saturdays in March is baseball season for my kid. I won't know for some time what his schedule is going to be...

Yes, I share your pain. I have the "honor" of being the only person who played (actually, played is in some doubt here) on a men's rec team for two years (yes, they kept me on the team for two years) while in grad school at Oklahoma State, and never scored a single point...not even from the free throw line. This after, in the last game of the two year stint, the plan was to feed me the ball as often as they could so I could score! Being shorter than everyone else and very non-basketball talented did not help. We were blessed with two ex-college players who pretty much made up for me lack of any noticeable skill. I had volunteered to coach/manage the team, but they were short of players and added me to the palyer list! I showed them! Actually I managed well, but never hit a shot as a player! That is what's NOT FAIR! Ha!

I'll put you down as a admin help person along with myself! Thanks. Yes, it is also soccer season and I may have to miss a referee Saturday, but the cause is good and worthwhile.

I may be interested, but I don't have much skill. If we are talking April, I cannot commit firmly as of now. It will depend on timing of life events. Also, seems like an April timing may affect the GMG Bowl. Are we still planning on playing that game?

Doubleheader??

Actually, my old butt couldn't handle that. :-)

I am very in for the basketball game.

I may be interested, but I don't have much skill. If we are talking April, I cannot commit firmly as of now. It will depend on timing of life events. Also, seems like an April timing may affect the GMG Bowl. Are we still planning on playing that game?

We are looking at a March date for the GMG.com basketball game, and "YES" the football game is definitely on for this year as well. I want to get the basketball game going before I focus too much time in setting up the football game. Besides, I MUST check the UNT graduation schedule first...you know the world stops if the game is set for the day of graduation. HeHe...I never can resist it when someone sets me up so well for that comment. I'm just kidding, of course, but I will probably stay with it until we get a date set for the next game.

Back to the task at hand...looking for a March date. I know that no one cvan really commit at this time until the date is actually set, but I am just looking fior an indication of interest to see if enough people are even interested in moving forward.

Glad to see you are possibly in...what about that talented brother of yours? I would imagine your bride will have other things going at that time that would keep her out of the line-up, but I'd bet she would show up to support you guys just the same.

can we drink beer while playing like with the football game??? if so, i might be in

There will definitely be an "after game" event at a local establishment where we can all consume large quantities of adult beverages to ward off the soreness that will surly come the next day. I doubt that UNT would like us drinking beer in the Rec Center of the old Pit....now, if the weather was great and we could play on an outdoor court somewhere....

That's what she....oh, nevermind.

Don't think I will be in town when the game is played, but I'd be willing to contribute to the fund.

Hey, Lifer, that's great...many thanks. I will put you down as a contributor and get back with you when I have the details regarding how everyone should make out donation checks and/or registration checks. I really appreciate your kind response and offer of help early in the process. Perhaps it will "spur" others to consider helping by either playing or donating.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks. Much appreciated.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Hey, Lifer, that's great...many thanks. I will put you down as a contributor and get back with you when I have the details regarding how everyone should make out donation checks and/or registration checks. I really appreciate your kind response and offer of help early in the process. Perhaps it will "spur" others to consider helping by either playing or donating.

I'll keep you posted. Thanks. Much appreciated.

GO MEAN GREEN!

I'll contribute something too. Just let me know where to send the check.

Edited by UNTBill

I'll contribute something too. Just let me know where to send the check.

Fantastic...I've got you down and will let you know at the appropriate time...many many thanks. These young men and women work very hard and represent our university well.