State Mvp Without A Scholarship....

Bundy

Well, I'll say this, having seen him at the game against Arkansas Shiloh Christian, supposedly the best team in Arkansas. Like all our other backs, they couldn't stop him. Not sure if he scored once or twice. The manager in our office has seen him go up against Lamar in some scrimmages before he was on the Trinity Varsity, and said they never could catch the kid. Honestly, I'd like us to give the kid a shot, not that he'd be a starter for us, but am pretty sure he could make some guys look foolish trying to tackle him...of course, we've also got Brelan Chancellor to do that.

I would never disparage a young man such as he, with the heart of a lion. He has punt returner written all over him, but not an every-down back. My heart says one thing but my head says another. My head tells me he could not take the D-1 pounding for even half a season.

Carlen Charleston (#42 on your program), 5'5" X 155, lettered four years (80-83) as a RB/KR. In 1981 he was the team leader in all purpose yards (420 rushing, 94 rec, 433 returns). In the 2004 media guide, he was listed 7th in career all-purpose yards (2997). He's probably moved down some since then.

At 5'9" X 168 Breland Chancelor is not much bigger. And I've seen him take some pretty good hits.

Todays weight training and conditioning programs are far superior to the early 1980's when Carlen Charleston made his mark in the NT record book with only his heart and natural abilities.

Besides, no one gets a real solid hit one someone who is 5'5" X 160lbs. Most of the time it's a glancing blow at best.

My question is can this young man run back kickoffs and punt returns? If so, we ought to give him a shot.