Nbc Reporting Mccarney To Unt

Harry

For the record I am on board with this hire as well. I wish Coach Canales the best of luck and I am sure that he will do well wherever he ends up next year. My requirements were met:

1.) Clean house

2.) Clean house

3.) Do a legitimate national coaching search with an independent consultant.

4.) Increase the coaching salary and (most likely, just guessing here but), increase the assistant coaching salaries.

5.) Bring in a proven Division 1A coach.

That is all. Now we ALL need to get on board with this and move forward. People talking of jumping ship now were never true mean green fans anyway. Same goes to players talking of leaving the team as well. This is quoted far too often on this site but I believe it does apply now:

WE DON'T NEED QUITTERS!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I feel that both Canales and DeLoach will stay on the

staff if offered, and that is a pretty good chance. I think

they will see the possiblities and want to be a part of

something big.

I really don't think so. Canales believes (and he's convinced me of this as well) that he is a qualified head coach for next season. And with all the positions opening up, including two in the Sun Belt, I think that it's possible Canales gets the HC job somewhere next season. As much as I would prefer to see him coaching here rather than at a conference school, I still can't blame him if he leaves. Yes, he may love the program, but it's still his career we're talking about.

I think it might be time for Deloach to move on. If he doesn't recruit outside the athletic offices, then he needs to go elsewhere so that we can find someone who will go out there and get us a defense. There were an awful lot of seniors out there today, and we're going to need to do some serious reloading to even be competitive next year. And consider that the defense just gave up 49 points in two consecutive games...

• Upvote 1

I'd be happy with McCarney *or* Canales at this point. McCarney has proven he can coach in the FBS and Canales has proven he deserves the opportunity.

If I was in RV's position and had to choose, I'd go with McCarney. But it would be a shame to see Canales succeed elsewhere when you passed him up.

Edited by rcade

I'm not sure what to feel about this.

So we have McCarney who has head coaching experience, and 12 years of it. He's seen it all, sudden success and sudden failure. That's good. He can recruit and he can manage and he can motivate. But his record doesn't look good. It took him 5 years to start winning, and even if he did, his record of wins to losses is on the negative end. Yeah, I get that he's done this at a hard-to-work with campus in a tough conference. But I feel like he might be on the way out. We've seen what he's done and it's not that spectacular. This one feels like, "we're hiring to not lose games." Which, I guess is alright, if we win. But if our team loses, then it becomes, "we were too scared to make the big leap."

As for Canales, he doesn't have much coaching experience. But we have seen is some incredible potential as a coach. It isn't easy to churn out 2 wins and a near-win against KState in a short span of time like that. Heck, our best coaches here had difficulty doing that in 5+ year UNT coaching careers. Canales did it in about a month, using talent that many thought wasn't there. Yes, we don't know for sure how good he is, but we do know what he can do in a short span of time. Canales is more like, "we're hiring to win." If we win with that, it's great. It paid off. If it becomes a bunch of losses under Canales, then we can say, "we at least took the risk."

However - I'll assume the powers that be know something I don't. And as such, I'll look at this and support the decision.

Edited by meangreendork

If I was in RV's position and had to choose, I'd go with McCarney.

Exactly. That's all you needed to say. RV's pick of Todd Dodge was based solely on gut feeling and hype. This hire had to be based on skins on the wall at the highest level of Division 1A football. McCarney is in that boat and Canales is the hometown favorite and the feel good story of the year.

Feel good stories and some perceived "the right guy for UNT" is absurd. You don't base decisions that could make or break your career on "gut feel". You hire consultants and you look at proven talent. You don't hire people who could "probably be a great" head coach at this level. That is a gamble at the exact worst time for RV. I personally applaud RV for making this decision. Don't think the UNT president didn't have a say in this either, don't forget that aspect of this. I really do like Mike, don't get me wrong, but at this point when we are laying down this kind of cash you look for a guy like Dan M.

Hate to see you leave Lance. You are one of the best we've ever had here. You are welcome for the 3 years of free education you have received. Best wishes.

Funny, my boss was run off a few years ago and everyone was going to quit because of it. The new boss turned out to be great, and no one quit. Just an emotional time. Life goes on.

Well if it's done, it's done.

Welcome, Coach Mac. You've got a lot of work ahead and a lot of people to win over. Make it happen.

agreed...kinda bummed Coach C wont get his shot here and i sure as hell hope he doesnt go to ULL, but i will support whoever is the mean green hc.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I'm not sure what to feel about this.

So we have McCarney who has head coaching experience, and 12 years of it. He's seen it all, sudden success and sudden failure. That's good. He can recruit and he can manage and he can motivate. But his record doesn't look good. It took him 5 years to start winning, and even if he did, his record of wins to losses is on the negative end. Yeah, I get that he's done this at a hard-to-work with campus in a tough conference. But I feel like he might be on the way out. We've seen what he's done and it's not that spectacular. This one feels like, "we're hiring to not lose games." Which, I guess is alright, if we win. But if our team loses, then it becomes, "we were too scared to make the big leap."

As for Canales, he doesn't have much coaching experience. But we have seen is some incredible potential as a coach. It isn't easy to churn out 2 wins and a near-win against KState in a short span of time like that. Heck, our best coaches here had difficulty doing that in 5+ year UNT coaching careers. Canales did it in about a month, using talent that many thought wasn't there. Yes, we don't know for sure how good he is, but we do know what he can do in a short span of time. Canales is more like, "we're hiring to win." If we win with that, it's great. It paid off. If it becomes a bunch of losses under Canales, then we can say, "we at least took the risk."

However - I'll assume the powers that be know something I don't. And as such, I'll look at this and support the decision.

Doesn't have much coaching experience? Since when does 25 years as an assistant everywhere from JC to the NFL qualify as "not much experience"?

Edited by meangreenacct

Doesn't have much coaching experience? Since when does 25 years as an assistant everywhere from JC to the NFL qualify as "not much experience"?

Sorry, head coaching experience. My parallel doesn't work well if we're looking at total experience, which McCarney has more of either way, but between the two, I actually feel Canales is the safer bet, or at least the one with higher reward.

Give him some time. DMac's specialty is building programs and motivating players. His passion will win you guys over and some games along the way.

But, we feel like we already have someone that is passionate and good at motivating.... That is our argument. Not necessarily anything against DMac... At least that is my argument.

Dmac will get the job done for you guys. No doubt about it. Just give him a little time, it took him 3 years at ISU to get it going, now being in the state of Texas and having a new Stadium I see him getting you guys to a bowl in 3 or 4 years.

Thanks for stopping by , but remember we play in the horid SunBelt. We should be bowling by next year no matter who we hire