Latest Vito Blog On Coach Search

SUMG

Mccarney may do well here, but if we start next year with Mccarney, and Texas State starts next year with Franchione, I have to wonder what the heck our administration was thinking...

Also, I don't see what makes Mccarney worth almost 600k base salary...(if that number is true).

No matter who RV announces on Tuesday though, we need to hop on the bandwagon and hope for the best.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

who cares what other schools are doing...let's worry about north texas and support the hell out of our school!

If that was in response to my mention of Texas State, I guess you did not read the last sentance...

"No matter who RV announces on Tuesday though, we need to hop on the bandwagon and hope for the best."

i saw that matt, i'm just getting tired of seeing everyone of the "experts" on here saying we should hire x, y, or z because other schools are looking at them.

you have the perfect ending sentence...we will support whoever is our team's coach!

i saw that matt, i'm just getting tired of seeing everyone of the "experts" on here saying we should hire x, y, or z because other schools are looking at them.

you have the perfect ending sentence...we will support whoever is our team's coach!

Just checking, haha. I will support whoever it is (although at this point I want Fran).

I have to believe that if Mccarney is really the man that RV and Lane Rawlins see something special in him, because he is definitely not going to be the most popular choice with the fanbase.

Todd Dodge was a fairly popular choice in 2006, including with me, and he did not work out at all. The popular choice is not always the right choice. I just hope Mccarney is the right choice if all this speculation is true.

• Upvote 1

"Dan McCarney"

And all the people said "Who?"

McCarney underwhelms me. A record of 56-85, a conference record of 27-68. Vito says he "won" at Iowa State. Well, I guess yearly win totals of 3,2,1,3, and 4 the first five years is "technically" winning. But it's not the kind of winning I want to see at North Texas. Is everyone willing to go through another six years of Dodge-like performance? Then in his last 7 seasons, he had winning records in 4 of those seasons... BARELY. Three of those winning seasons were 7-5.

It just seems like another experiment to me. Of all the coaches out there we could get, we choose one that was very mediocre at Iowa State.

Edited by UNTflyer
  • Upvote 3

"All signs point to Dan McCarney getting the job, though."

Very next sentence:

"The only people who know for sure are not talking...."

Where exactly is he getting his "signs" from?

This is making me insane.

Vito reads this board and we have the signs.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

"Dan McCarney"

And all the people said "Who?"

McCarney underwhelms me. A record of 56-85, a conference record of 27-68. Vito says he "won" at Iowa State. Well, I guess yearly win totals of 3,2,1,3, and 4 the first five years is "technically" winning. But it's not the kind of winning I want to see at North Texas. Is everyone willing to go through another six years of Dodge-like performance? Then in his last 7 seasons, he had winning records in 4 of those seasons... BARELY. Three of those winning seasons were 7-5.

It just seems like another experiment to me. Of all the coaches out there we could get, we choose one that was very mediocre at Iowa State.

Flyer I love you man but this guy has more skins than any coach we have hired at North Texas ever. Comparing him to Dodge is like Apples and Oranges. Check out his bio if you doubt me:

http://www.gatorzone.com/football/bios.php?year=2008&staff=mccarney

Woohoo!!! Cant you just hear those suites and season tickets selling due to this "splash" hire?!!!

P.S. I dont care if he's got more skins on the wall than Buffalo Bill, nobody in DFW is gonna stand up and take notice because 99.9% of people are gonna have to be told who he even is.

Edited by emmitt01
  • Downvote 1

Flyer I love you man but this guy has more skins than any coach we have hired at North Texas ever. Comparing him to Dodge is like Apples and Oranges. Check out his bio if you doubt me:

http://www.gatorzone...&staff=mccarney

Bottom line , he's 30 games under .500 as a head coach and is not going to WOW one person into buying club seats

If I put his bio up against Chico's and not know who was who , I'm pretty sure I'd choose Chico's

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

this guy has more skins than any coach we have hired at North Texas ever. Comparing him to Dodge is like Apples and Oranges. Check out his bio if you doubt me:

http://www.gatorzone.com/football/bios.php?year=2008&staff=mccarney

Harry, I expect you to schedule McCarney for a live Podcast next Wednesday...let him explain his worthiness to "the Board". B)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I learned this evening that McCarney was finalized late last week. Probably last weekend from what I am told. I won't go into details, but no other candidates were seriously considered. McCarney was the "guy" from Day 1.

Can we all jump off a cliff now? Damnit!

I knew I should've taken ElToro's bet!!!!!!

http://www.gatorzone...&staff=mccarney

So, are those who talk about his winning ways hoping we can ignore the fact they gave him 12 years at Iowa State to get those 54 wins? Todd Dodge talked about getting to winning within 3 years, when he was talking "realistically" shortly after being hired. Is this 5 years to get to the wins considered a better management of expectations?