Yes, Rushing The Court May Have Been Unnecessary...

NTerock

--This also shows what type of crowd we WOULD attract if we were a member of a better known conference.

This is true in both basketball and football. Hope others take note of this... we would be a good addition...

I think that is exactly the problem that we have to deal with TCU and SMU. When they see a name school come to town in either big sport and we draw well and play well, it gives both schools even more fodder to keep us miles away from their conferences. Hell, you could probably add UH, Rice, Tulsa, La Tech, UTEP, etc. to that list, too, as folks that would just be happy with keeping little 'ol UNT little.

--This also shows what type of crowd we WOULD attract if we were a member of a better known conference.

That statement is true for any school not in the Big East or ACC. All we can control is our own schedule and court. If we continue upping our game like we have the past seven years, keep bringing in known/challenging opponents, promoting, and enhancing the in-game experience, there's no reason we can't fill the Pit regularly. The best game I ever saw was a triple OT game against New Orleans years ago, and I think a lot of people got that same experience last night for the first time.

North Texas is turning into a basketball school.

• Upvote 2

That statement is true for any school not in the Big East or ACC. All we can control is our own schedule and court. If we continue upping our game like we have the past seven years, keep bringing in known/challenging opponents, promoting, and enhancing the in-game experience, there's no reason we can't fill the Pit regularly. The best game I ever saw was a triple OT game against New Orleans years ago, and I think a lot of people got that same experience last night for the first time.

North Texas is turning into a basketball school.

--UNT was a basketball school earlier and a member of the best conf. in America. That changed when the MVC fell apart in late 70's and we decided to risk it all for a possible SWC bid [ which failed thanks to SMU who lobbied to keep us out--didn't not want competition in Metroplex from a large state school] and not stay with Louisville, Memphis, and Cincinnati in the old Metro Conf. (now CUSA pretty much)

---In the Blakley era and even MVC era... a lot of better schools did not want to schedule us.... they knew they were risking a loss and defeating us wasn't a huge gain. Also explains why many Big-XII teams will (and do) avoid us in basketball..... unless we have some NCAA tournament success. They want patsies or big names for non-conf. games.

---Note SMU Schedule this year... McMurry, Dallas Christian, Wayland Baptist, and many more extremely weak teams. They should be embarrassed with it. Other than conf. and TCU game, that is the biggest sissy schedule I have ever seen.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

It is November 2030. Joe and Sam are sitting in a bar, watching a basketball game on a big screen.

Joe: Remember when we beat Tech to launch that amazing season?

Sam: I'll never forget. I remember the end of OT, when all of us calmly reviewed the stats, commented incisively on the play of various players, and then, in the sober understanding that this should be considered a routine win, filed out of the coliseum in a quiet and orderly manner. I'll cherish that feeling of jaded restraint forever.

Joe: Yeah, good times. Wish I had a video.

I get what you're saying, but you can also celebrate wildly in the stands after a huge win without rushing the court. One of the reasons a number of people don't like the "rush the court" is that it's been sooooooo overplayed (nationally) in recent years. Plus, we don't even really know how good TT is this year. That's all.

All that said,I'm glad the students had a great time last night and showed emotion during the game and in the win. They'll be back, and that's what excites me the most.

Jarion Henry was there last night and talked about the crowd size, participation, and rushing the court the rest of the night. Great win and great celebration. Reminds me of when we beat Middle Tennesse and brought down the goal posts! Love this

Was Jarion with Mr. Williams? Was he there with his dad? I hope he enjoyed the show!

We've got room for you in this class Jarion. Get on board with Mr. Williams and sign your LOI.

• Upvote 1

Rushing the court implies that UNT fans not only thought they weren't going to win, but that they didn't think they were supposed to win...

I'm not saying that this is how the fans actually felt, but this is the impression it gives Tech fans and anyone else who watches...

Now, if UNT beats Kansas @ Phog Allen then the gloves are off and anyone who is there should rush the court - security, students and consequences be damned...

Great videos, and hell; let them rush the court after any and every big win! Who cares? The emotions and atmosphere in that building last night were incredible; and truly a sign of what the future holds for North Texas athletics.

Absolutely....its all about emotions and having fun....hit the floor after every win if you so desire....celebate UNT's success EVERY game!

Oh no, not another realignment thread! :scared:

--Not exactly.... this just demonstrates what crowds would be like if the opponents coming to town had more local interest...

---Our poor attendence at events is due to who we play.... not so much our win/loss record or ability. The same is true with our media attention.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

Tech is a BigXII team so from conference affiliation everyone thinks TTech should have won. Not UNT fans of course, but Vegas line, and other around BigXII and BSC. That's why I'm a BCS hater.

Look at how Boise State is respected...they are, but only to a point!!! Then slapped around on strength of schedule.

UNT is playing this year like they're going to WIN, not just be in games at the end maybe. Watching the game last night when we were down by 8 or 7 late in the game you could tell the team knew they'd come back and WIN before game was over!!! B)

this was my first UNT basketball game, i brought 3 friends who were also first in a long timers. Before the game i said if we win we should rush the court, my friends didnt think we would, but just as everyone started to file out, people just stopped and watched as the court become a sea of people. It was truely a neat moment and great feeling. What a great game!!!

Rushing the court was totatly neccesary. The Pit was rockin. It was a great game. Its a Big XII school. Opening Night, Banner Raising.

I mean cmon if you are aganist the Court rushing, then your against UNT! GMG

P.S.- this being my first UNT game i must admit, i think ill be coming back for the Rice game.

this was my first UNT basketball game, i brought 3 friends who were also first in a long timers. Before the game i said if we win we should rush the court, my friends didnt think we would, but just as everyone started to file out, people just stopped and watched as the court become a sea of people. It was truely a neat moment and great feeling. What a great game!!!

Rushing the court was totatly neccesary. The Pit was rockin. It was a great game. Its a Big XII school. Opening Night, Banner Raising.

I mean cmon if you are aganist the Court rushing, then your against UNT! GMG

P.S.- this being my first UNT game i must admit, i think ill be coming back for the Rice game.

Bring your friends. :D

Rushing the court implies that UNT fans not only thought they weren't going to win, but that they didn't think they were supposed to win...

I'm not saying that this is how the fans actually felt, but this is the impression it gives Tech fans and anyone else who watches...

Now, if UNT beats Kansas @ Phog Allen then the gloves are off and anyone who is there should rush the court - security, students and consequences be damned...

I disagree. I was at the game, and sitting next to the Pit Crew. I thought the emotion of running onto the court was less about the fact that it was Texas Tech (although that was probably a factor), and more about the emotion from an absolutely incredible game last night. The team played extremely hard, and even when they fell behind refused to give up. And the OT was on a whole different level. I think the fans were just genuinely excited for the team and for JJ and the effort they gave.

• Upvote 3

obviously the better team won!!! but before the game thats not what everyone was saying

RPI Texas Tech -44

Vegas Texas Tech - 1.5

Ok its on. Someone get me a soapbox because logic like this is why CC Sabathia is going to win the Cy Young.

Apparently there are a lot of people here who are under the impression that Vegas is some sort of "game forecaster" and that simply is not true. Vegas is a business. As a business it's goal is to make money. On Monday North Texas was 3 point dogs. Now the way to tell how money is coming into Vegas is by seeing how the line moves in the days approaching the game. All of a sudden the line became 2.5, then 2, and then finally closed at 1.5. Why did the line move? Well it could be because they were told to "suck a fat one" or its because people let their money do the talking and bet on North Texas. Now Vegas seeing that their plan to take money from people by putting the mighty Big XII Red Raiders up against the directional school from the Sunbelt with an interesting nickname was not going as expected dropped the line. Then they dropped it again. Finally they dared people to take Tech by saying all that the Raiders had to do was win by a measly bucket. Vegas isn't stupid, they want each side to have an equal amount of money on the line because if the same amount of money is wagered on each side they make a profit. The movement in the line says the people who got on early bet on North Texas

• Downvote 1

Ok its on. Someone get me a soapbox because logic like this is why CC Sabathia is going to win the Cy Young.

Apparently there are a lot of people here who are under the impression that Vegas is some sort of "game forecaster" and that simply is not true. Vegas is a business. As a business it's goal is to make money. On Monday North Texas was 3 point dogs. Now the way to tell how money is coming into Vegas is by seeing how the line moves in the days approaching the game. All of a sudden the line became 2.5, then 2, and then finally closed at 1.5. Why did the line move? Well it could be because they were told to "suck a fat one" or its because people let their money do the talking and bet on North Texas. Now Vegas seeing that their plan to take money from people by putting the mighty Big XII Red Raiders up against the directional school from the Sunbelt with an interesting nickname was not going as expected dropped the line. Then they dropped it again. Finally they dared people to take Tech by saying all that the Raiders had to do was win by a measly bucket. Vegas isn't stupid, they want each side to have an equal amount of money on the line because if the same amount of money is wagered on each side they make a profit. The movement in the line says the people who got on early bet on North Texas

Yes, the line is a reflection of how people are betting, which is a reflection on how people think the game will turn out. It is clear that as time went on the percentage of people who thought UNT could beat the line increased. But since the line never actually favored UNT to win, the majority of the betters thought that Tech would win the game. So dispite the movement of the line in UNT's favor, most people thought Tech would win, which is why Tech was favored by Vegas the enitre time.

You're using Vegas as a measuring stick to determine the better team? :blink:

Yes, the line is a reflection of how people are betting, which is a reflection on how people think the game will turn out. It is clear that as time went on the percentage of people who thought UNT could beat the line increased. But since the line never actually favored UNT to win, the majority of the betters thought that Tech would win the game. So dispite the movement of the line in UNT's favor, most people thought Tech would win, which is why Tech was favored by Vegas the enitre time.

The closer it gets to tip the less the line moves. A fluid line at the beginning of the week becomes much more rigid the hours prior to it being locked so it is hard to determine where exactly the money is going late. What I'm saying is that Vegas was using a big name school in Tech to draw money to the game by fooling less basketball knowledgable people into betting on a weak team and therefore nullifying any importance on the line having to do with who is or is not better.

You're using Vegas as a measuring stick to determine the better team? :blink:

Sigh... That's what I'm arguing against.

Early season lines in college ball offer some of the juiciest bets of the year. You get some Patriot League team playing Villanova and nobody knows where to put that line. As a more concrete example, imagine Gonzaga ten years ago when only fans of the WCC knew who they were. Vegas was probably putting ridiculous lines against them because nobody knew any better. The small time fans from the WCC were making a killing jumping on all those +10s Vegas was throwing their way. How did they do it? Because all the Dukes of the world were thinking, "Pfft! Gonzaaaag....who? Ten points? Coach K. PEES 10 points after breakfast!"*

That UNT is getting such close lines so early in the season says people are starting to take notice.

*I don't really know if Gonzaga has ever actually played Duke, let alone beat them.

I disagree. I was at the game, and sitting next to the Pit Crew. I thought the emotion of running onto the court was less about the fact that it was Texas Tech (although that was probably a factor), and more about the emotion from an absolutely incredible game last night. The team played extremely hard, and even when they fell behind refused to give up. And the OT was on a whole different level. I think the fans were just genuinely excited for the team and for JJ and the effort they gave.

+1

Not to mention the fact that we had raised the banners pre-game. Can't blame the students for wanting to celebrate, as they haven't been able to do that at home all fall.

Throw beating a school that gets far more local pub than your school does, even though that school is in godforsaken West Texas, and you've got a recipe for a celebration.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

guys i am not sure why anyone is trying to argue that rushing the court made us look anything less than desperate. this is a joke. we are talking about a team that has won their conference twice in the last few years and advanced to an NCAA tournament. this is a coach that has NEVER lost to a Big 12 school at home. i would make fun of us too if I was a Tech fan. Tech's basketball program sucks right now. yeah, they made it to the Sweet 16 a few years ago but lately it has been all downhill. i am not in any way, shape or form taking away from the fact that this was a nice win but I am taking away from the overly emotional reaction we showed by winning this game. maybe part of the problem around good ol U of NT is our expectations. instead of rushing the court when we beat the 5th best team in a 6 team Big 12 South at home, maybe we should be asking why Tech was in this game to begin with? i hope the team wasn't as excited about this win as our fans were or we aren't going anywhere this year and i would bet money that Johnny Jones is not exactly thrilled with the game last night

we rushed the court at a game that couldn't even make the local news. don't try to spin it. it was stupid

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 10