Letter From Cindy Gill And 67 Parents And Family Members

Ibleedgreen

The Star-Telegram printed a letter to the editor from Cindy Gill "on behalf of 67 parents and family members" in support of Coach Dodge. I cannot post a link because I could not find an electronic version, but among other things, Mrs. Gill writes, "You made UNT a place where noble young men would want to come and where their parents were proud to send them. We are honored to have shared this time with you. Many make headlines for a day, but leaders who build the character of young men make a difference for a lifetime."

• Downvote 1

Guest MeanGreenHomer

Completely sums up my feelings about Dodge. Well written, and thoughtful. He is a man of unmatched class and character, wish his record would have matched his heart and effort.

Edited by MeanGreenHomer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Great, well-written letter! There are many, many fans who feel the same way...and I am one of them. IMO, very few people had any problem with the life lessons taught by Coach Dodge or questioned that his influence was beneficial to the kids and the program.

Thank you, Cindy Gill.

• Upvote 1

Great, well-written letter! There are many, many fans who feel the same way...and I am one of them. IMO, very few people had any problem with the life lessons taught by Coach Dodge or questioned that his influence was beneficial to the kids and the program.

Thank you, Cindy Gill.

Nice letter. Gill was recruited by DD, wonder how she feels about him?

Nice letter. Gill was recruited by DD, wonder how she feels about him?

Let's quit the "Dodge has class" thing already. Class or not, the kids did not believe in him, so who's the better judge about his class? Class means different things to different people; some is visible and some is not. Anyone can put on a show!

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 29

Let's quit the "Dodge has class" thing already. Class or not, the kids did not believe in him, so who's the better judge about his class? Class means different things to different people; some is visible and some is not. Anyone can put on a show!

That's a pretty classless thing to say. Dodge never boasted or said "it's all about me" like some other coaches do. If you don't know the man personally, your opinion is base-less. And if you don't know what class is, well that's sad indeed. Let the man go out quietly and allow others to admire his qualities. I'm sure the parents know his character better than you.

I'm just sayin...

• Upvote 1

Who's a better judge about class? Well, considering the letter was written by a parent of a player and supported by 67 others, I would have to say Mrs. Gill has an inside track into how Coach Dodge handled himself and the young men on the team.

Class means different things to different people; some is visible and some is not. Anyone can put on a show!

Thanks for providing the irony.

• Upvote 2

Todd Dodge is the ultimate class act. I would have to say a majority of the players on this 2010 team did believe in him as evidenced by the roughly 50 or more players that walked up to him after the Western Kentucky game outside the locker room to give him a hug or shake his hand along with most all the coaches. It is unfortunate the results of the games played caused him to lose his job because he certainly made a positive impact on a majority of the players in the game of life with his emphasis on academics, character building and being an exemplary role model for them 365 days a year.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Need to remember that until this year, Coach Dodge played mostly with DD recruits. Thanks for the letter Ms. Gill

Uh? Not sure I read that right. Dodge was a class act, and proved as much as he exited the cockpit. Still, the bulk of the parts on this plane were selected and installed by him? Take off in a jet, land in a crop duster? I dont think so...

GMG!!! <_<

Very nice letter. I think it the best telling sign of how Dodge really was/is as a man is how he handled the exit. Not one snide, rude, crass remark. Simply a thank you for the opportunity.

Dodge knows where his reward is and it is not on a football field. He is a class act, unfortunately not a coach that thrived at this level as a HC.

• Upvote 1

That's a pretty classless thing to say. Dodge never boasted or said "it's all about me" like some other coaches do. If you don't know the man personally, your opinion is base-less. And if you don't know what class is, well that's sad indeed. Let the man go out quietly and allow others to admire his qualities. I'm sure the parents know his character better than you.

I'm just sayin...

New coach walks into his office; old coach is clearing out his desk and he says son, if times get tough I've left you 3 letters to read that will help you get through the stress. After the 1st season, read the 1st letter and do what it tells you, after the 2nd season, read the 2nd letter and do what it tells you, after the 3rd season, read the 3rd letter and do what it tells you. Take my advice and you'll be OK. New coach says thanks Pop and thinks I'll never need the letters, I'm too good for that. 1st season goes by and its full of losses so the new coach reads the 1st letter and it says "blame your predecessor". New coach thinks, good idea and its probably right, so he blames all of the losses and his luck on a bad previous coach and runs off some of the players just to make the point. 2nd season rolls around and its another disaster, so new coach reads the 2nd letter and it says "reorganize", so the coach thinks great idea and its probably true. So, he fires a coach or two, runs off more kids and throws a witch hunt in to sweeten the deal. (Can't be his fault!) 3rd season goes by and it is also a horrible effort, so the coach drags over to the desk and pulls out the 3rd letter, he opens it up and it says "write 3 letters"!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

New coach walks into his office; old coach is clearing out his desk and he says son, if times get tough I've left you 3 letters to read that will help you get through the stress. After the 1st season, read the 1st letter and do what it tells you, after the 2nd season, read the 2nd letter and do what it tells you, after the 3rd season, read the 3rd letter and do what it tells you. Take my advice and you'll be OK. New coach says thanks Pop and thinks I'll never need the letters, I'm too good for that. 1st season goes by and its full of losses so the new coach reads the 1st letter and it says "blame your predecessor". New coach thinks, good idea and its probably right, so he blames all of the losses and his luck on a bad previous coach and runs off some of the players just to make the point. 2nd season rolls around and its another disaster, so new coach reads the 2nd letter and it says "reorganize", so the coach thinks great idea and its probably true. So, he fires a coach or two, runs off more kids and throws a witch hunt in to sweeten the deal. (Can't be his fault!) 3rd season goes by and it is also a horrible effort, so the coach drags over to the desk and pulls out the 3rd letter, he opens it up and it says "write 3 letters"!

You would be an awesome Tech fan--probably alum of the year. I could even see you yelling out GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO RRRAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEERRRRRRRRSSSSSSS!!