Thoughts On Canales' Efforts To Land The Job

MeanGreen61

Let me throw a few things out there. They won't stick with many of you, but I'll throw them out there just the same.

There are a couple myths floating around about coach Canales. The biggest one is this one "He's beaten WKU and had a close loss...just like Dodge." WRONG!!! Dodge beat WKU, true enough. And the games were always close and always in doubt. A fortuitous fumble here, an INT there...that's what it took for him to beat WKU. Canales coached our team (our greatly depleted team) to a beating of WKU. You can argue that it wasn't a blowout until late, but it was never in question. No back and forth lead changes, no nail-biter fourth downs, no doubt. And his close win this season? Yeah, only against the reigning champion who had better athletes virtually across the board. Dodge kept us close to equal or inferior competition. Canales had a stadium (not full) of fans seriously believing that it we got the ball back (which we did) that we could win on the last drive of the game. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, who can't see that he had a team which was otherwise left for dead playing with fire and passion is either blind, wasn't there (hi Plummy), or has an agenda. You don't have to put him at the top of your coach wish list. But please don't try to write off his accomplishments as equal to his predecessor.

As to the "splash hire" movement. That might just be a great idea. Let's say we bring in a Mike Leach (or a Fran, etc). Thousands would show up to see him coach. Our stadium would be filled with the ticket buying masses. T-shirt alumni would come out of the woodwork. We'd probably get to be on national TV a time or two. And yes, he'd probably win. Then, as soon as the next big offer came along, he'd be gone. And, whoops, the fans who came to see the circus would realize the circus is no longer in Denton and they'd be gone too. Why? Do you think he'd feel the need to go to Denton Chamber of Commerce meetings, high school pep rallies, Alumni meet and greets and the like? I sure don't. Why should he? His name alone sells tickets. And do you think he'd insure that all of our newfound fans form a connection to North Texas and who we are...or do you think those people would form a connection with the hoopla surrounding Mike Leach? How would that differ from winning with an infectious, driven, coach who's trying to make his name at North Texas and might just want to make North Texas his home? When the wins came with a guy like Canales (again, it doesn't have to be Canales) don't you think that the momentum of the ship would be the shining light and not the captain himself? We talk about wanting to be like Boise. Folks that's exactly how they did it. And let me address one more thing about this splash hire idea. The more I read this board and talk to our fans the more I hear "it would make people take us seriously as a program" and "it would make the local and national media take notice." Kinda reeks of insecurity to me. Sure, if you're a nerdy high-schooler and your daddy buys you a Bentley people will "take notice" and women will probably "take seriously" the prospect of dating you. I don't want people to take my school seriously because we do the "sexy" thing. I want them to say "Wow, North Texas really committed to a culture of winning and not taking a back seat to anyone. They win with determination and preparation and that can't be taken away." If that's with a "sexy" name so be it but let's not fall so much in lust with the idea of having our name on the front of the sports page.

+100!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

If what we need is someone to go out and sell the program, increase donations, motivate and excite people, and increase attendance in the venues....then I would like to put a bid in for none other than the Houston superstar Joel Osteen. He has done wonders for pulling in donations and creating excitement. He has also increased the attendance greatly in the former Compaq center. I am sure his wife would also be willing to sell the program.

What say you?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

I think people would have to be blind, naive, stupid, or have an agenda not to be able to see what has happened to the program under Canales' leadership since he took over. He has done everything asked and so much more to this point. I think it's great that he wants this job in particular and is actively out there doing what Rick said is expected of the next head coach.

The posters on GMG who want Leach or Franchione would be in for a rude awakening in that it's more about the coach than the team. Fran's ego could not fit through the doors of the football offices. In the mean time, there's a guy who's auditioning daily directly in front of the Athletic Director, and has done everything he addressed in the press conference regarding criterias for the new head coach. Just because the name is not as recognizable, I don't see that as a problem. You may not get the ground swell of ticket sales and perk people who support other programs up initially. But the bottom line, at the end of the day what matters is that the new coach wins. Winning will cure everything, including public perception, and ticket sales, etc.

Canales is a perfect 2 for 2 if you ask me. Convincing win against an inferior opponent. Toe to Toe with the Big dogs of the Sun Belt despite having a depleted roster. He's got 3 more chances. Let's all keep an open mind and see how he does.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I think people would have to be blind, naive, stupid, or have an agenda not to be able to see what has happened to the program under Canales' leadership since he took over. He has done everything asked and so much more to this point. I think it's great that he wants this job in particular and is actively out there doing what Rick said is expected of the next head coach.

The posters on GMG who want Leach or Franchione would be in for a rude awakening in that it's more about the coach than the team. Fran's ego could not fit through the doors of the football offices. In the mean time, there's a guy who's auditioning daily directly in front of the Athletic Director, and has done everything he addressed in the press conference regarding criterias for the new head coach. Just because the name is not as recognizable, I don't see that as a problem. You may not get the ground swell of ticket sales and perk people who support other programs up initially. But the bottom line, at the end of the day what matters is that the new coach wins. Winning will cure everything, including public perception, and ticket sales, etc.

Canales is a perfect 2 for 2 if you ask me. Convincing win against an inferior opponent. Toe to Toe with the Big dogs of the Sun Belt despite having a depleted roster. He's got 3 more chances. Let's all keep an open mind and see how he does.

Alumni, students and the general population may not know his name, but he's the kind of personality that will be more than happy to meet with any group of people to tell them A. who he is, and B. how he plans to be successful at North Texas.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3

Hey Emmitt01, it was nice meeting you Saturday. Hope to see you around more. You present alot of great points in your post.

There are a couple myths floating around about coach Canales. The biggest one is this one "He's beaten WKU and had a close loss...just like Dodge." WRONG!!! Dodge beat WKU, true enough. And the games were always close and always in doubt. A fortuitous fumble here, an INT there...that's what it took for him to beat WKU. Canales coached our team (our greatly depleted team) to a beating of WKU. You can argue that it wasn't a blowout until late, but it was never in question. No back and forth lead changes, no nail-biter fourth downs, no doubt.

I agree with this. The WKU win was definitely more convincing than the others. I'm glad it turned out that way. It was certainly a boost to the team.

And his close win this season? Yeah, only against the reigning champion who had better athletes virtually across the board. Dodge kept us close to equal or inferior competition.

This was against a team that had lost to LAMo the week before. This is certainly not the Troy team of recent years. I only predicted a 10pt loss to them. The team played better than I thought!

Canales had a stadium (not full) of fans seriously believing that it we got the ball back (which we did) that we could win on the last drive of the game. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, who can't see that he had a team which was otherwise left for dead playing with fire and passion is either blind, wasn't there (hi Plummy), or has an agenda.

I felt that way during the Rice game, the LALa game, and even the ARSt game (with Chase Baine at QB!) Didn't you?

You don't have to put him at the top of your coach wish list. But please don't try to write off his accomplishments as equal to his predecessor.

I agree with this too. He's certainly not Dodge. The players appear to be responding to him better than Dodge. They've completely bought into this 'Lock the Gate' theme. I don't think too many people are saying that Dodge and Canales are the same guy. Maybe I'm just not reading those posts because those people are on my ignored list... I dunno.

As to the "splash hire" movement. That might just be a great idea. Let's say we bring in a Mike Leach (or a Fran, etc). Thousands would show up to see him coach. Our stadium would be filled with the ticket buying masses. T-shirt alumni would come out of the woodwork. We'd probably get to be on national TV a time or two. And yes, he'd probably win. Then, as soon as the next big offer came along, he'd be gone.

I would certainly expect coach Canales to do this too. I think you're fooling yourself if you believe coach Canales only wants to be in Denton for the rest of his life. Who knows though? Maybe I'm wrong. I'm not willing to bet on that though.

And, whoops, the fans who came to see the circus would realize the circus is no longer in Denton and they'd be gone too. Why? Do you think he'd feel the need to go to Denton Chamber of Commerce meetings, high school pep rallies, Alumni meet and greets and the like? I sure don't. Why should he? His name alone sells tickets. And do you think he'd insure that all of our newfound fans form a connection to North Texas and who we are...or do you think those people would form a connection with the hoopla surrounding Mike Leach?

I think the people we REALLY need to get on board are the other 90,000+ alumni that are here in the DFW who are currently apathetic towards their university. Once UNT starts winning, regardless of the coach, hopefully those people will start coming out and opening their wallets. When they do, I think they would stick around after we replace this name coach with another coach after he departs.

The other people who come around based on the coach themselves will be minimal (people who like pirates and stuff). If they leave, it's OK because our targeted fans stayed.

How would that differ from winning with an infectious, driven, coach who's trying to make his name at North Texas and might just want to make North Texas his home? When the wins came with a guy like Canales (again, it doesn't have to be Canales) don't you think that the momentum of the ship would be the shining light and not the captain himself? We talk about wanting to be like Boise. Folks that's exactly how they did it.

I really do think Boise is a great template for us to try and follow, however, I fear that Boise caught lightning in a bottle. Boise lost coaches to big schools when the opportunity arose. That's what is so impressive. They have assistant after assistant that can pick up and continue with the program. Looking at guys like Leach,Fran,Leavitt,etc..., they have the name to attract the type of assistants that could accomplish this type of success for us. I don't know if Canales has these types of assistants at his disposal.

And let me address one more thing about this splash hire idea. The more I read this board and talk to our fans the more I hear "it would make people take us seriously as a program" and "it would make the local and national media take notice." Kinda reeks of insecurity to me. Sure, if you're a nerdy high-schooler and your daddy buys you a Bentley people will "take notice" and women will probably "take seriously" the prospect of dating you. I don't want people to take my school seriously because we do the "sexy" thing. I want them to say "Wow, North Texas really committed to a culture of winning and not taking a back seat to anyone. They win with determination and preparation and that can't be taken away." If that's with a "sexy" name so be it but let's not fall so much in lust with the idea of having our name on the front of the sports page.

I agree with your underlying principal here that UNT should be committed to a culture of winning and we can do this without a sexy hire. BUT, I think the sexy hire can get us there quicker. Take your example: girls will not consider dating the poor kid at the end of the class line, but if he somehow gets a Bentley, then they will start taking notice, and eventually may get to know that he's a great guy.

At the end of the day, I would just like to see our options. One of those options includes seeing what Canales can do in more than 2-3 games. If he proves himself to be a good enough coach, then please lump him in with the other candidates and see how he stacks up. He certainly has a leg up on the competition because he's been here for a year. If he stacks up better than the other guys, then by all means, sign him! If he starts recruiting great players and winning, he'll get noticed by bigger schools. If he leaves, fine. We will be in a position to get another great coach to fill in. IF he were to win AND stay, then I would be elated... I just don't expect it.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Let me throw a few things out there. They won't stick with many of you, but I'll throw them out there just the same.

There are a couple myths floating around about coach Canales. The biggest one is this one "He's beaten WKU and had a close loss...just like Dodge." WRONG!!! Dodge beat WKU, true enough. And the games were always close and always in doubt. A fortuitous fumble here, an INT there...that's what it took for him to beat WKU. Canales coached our team (our greatly depleted team) to a beating of WKU. You can argue that it wasn't a blowout until late, but it was never in question. No back and forth lead changes, no nail-biter fourth downs, no doubt. And his close win this season? Yeah, only against the reigning champion who had better athletes virtually across the board. Dodge kept us close to equal or inferior competition. Canales had a stadium (not full) of fans seriously believing that it we got the ball back (which we did) that we could win on the last drive of the game. Anyone, and I mean ANYONE, who can't see that he had a team which was otherwise left for dead playing with fire and passion is either blind, wasn't there (hi Plummy), or has an agenda. You don't have to put him at the top of your coach wish list. But please don't try to write off his accomplishments as equal to his predecessor.

As to the "splash hire" movement. That might just be a great idea. Let's say we bring in a Mike Leach (or a Fran, etc). Thousands would show up to see him coach. Our stadium would be filled with the ticket buying masses. T-shirt alumni would come out of the woodwork. We'd probably get to be on national TV a time or two. And yes, he'd probably win. Then, as soon as the next big offer came along, he'd be gone. And, whoops, the fans who came to see the circus would realize the circus is no longer in Denton and they'd be gone too. Why? Do you think he'd feel the need to go to Denton Chamber of Commerce meetings, high school pep rallies, Alumni meet and greets and the like? I sure don't. Why should he? His name alone sells tickets. And do you think he'd insure that all of our newfound fans form a connection to North Texas and who we are...or do you think those people would form a connection with the hoopla surrounding Mike Leach? How would that differ from winning with an infectious, driven, coach who's trying to make his name at North Texas and might just want to make North Texas his home? When the wins came with a guy like Canales (again, it doesn't have to be Canales) don't you think that the momentum of the ship would be the shining light and not the captain himself? We talk about wanting to be like Boise. Folks that's exactly how they did it. And let me address one more thing about this splash hire idea. The more I read this board and talk to our fans the more I hear "it would make people take us seriously as a program" and "it would make the local and national media take notice." Kinda reeks of insecurity to me. Sure, if you're a nerdy high-schooler and your daddy buys you a Bentley people will "take notice" and women will probably "take seriously" the prospect of dating you. I don't want people to take my school seriously because we do the "sexy" thing. I want them to say "Wow, North Texas really committed to a culture of winning and not taking a back seat to anyone. They win with determination and preparation and that can't be taken away." If that's with a "sexy" name so be it but let's not fall so much in lust with the idea of having our name on the front of the sports page.

Winning is what matters. Period. I don't care if we hire a middle school coach, as long as he wins. I don't care if the new coach views this job as a 2 year stop, as long as he wins (because, if he does, the program will be better for the time he spent here).

For all of you that expect a coach to come here and fall in love with Denton and UNT and make this a career while still winning at a pace that gets us in bowls and scores victories over major OOC opponents, you are freaking dilusional. For the one millionth time, if Colorado came today and told Coach Canales that he was their guy, but he had to quit UNT today, we would be searching for a new coach for this weeks game. That is just the way it is at our current FBS level.

Coach Dodge made all the appointed rounds and was a great ambassador for UNT football. So what. He didn't win. Attendance didn't boom.

It's not about a "splash" hire. It's about hiring the most qualified candidate for the job. One question, Emmitt, who is more qualified, Mike Leach or Coach Canales? If you can get Leach, you do it yesterday. I doubt we have even tried.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

There are a couple myths floating around about coach Canales....

Don't know ya, but i like what you say...ditto the +100.

The big-namers, pirate flaggers, and Canales campaign haters are starting to sound like (FILL IN THE BLANK).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Emmitt, I agree with you. And I don't.

I really like Coach Canales. I've met him and I think he'd do a good job at NT.

Here's my problem. For the most part, North Texas has hired "up and coming" assistants. There have been 2 exceptions. Bob Tyler, former head man at Mississippi State, and Hayden Fry, former head coach at SMU. Bob Tyler is forgetable as he was only here for one season. Hayden Fry is a legend. People still use him as the "gold standard" of head football coaches at North Texas.

The rest of the former assistant coaches have lackluster. Corkey Nelson had some success here, but most have been .500 at best.

I'm afraid if we go with the "up and coming" assistant again, we'll be back where we've always been. I'd like to try something new. And hopefully get something we've not had before...or lt least not in a long time...a winning tradition.

I'd be happy with Mike Canales. If he succeeds, who cares. If he is not successful, I'd alswys wonder what might have been.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 2

If we got Leach we would be set and no he would not have to attend and beg everyone to come. People would come, sponsors would come, donors would come, recruits would come. That means big money, that means our AD would be that much more flexible hiring the next coach after a Leach. A Leach is a jump start and a Canales is a risk and a slow build at best (and I do mean everything, Fans, Recruits, Donors, Sponsors). And there is absolutely no guarantee that Canales would stay very long "IF" and that my friends is still a real big "IF" he is successful. He will have to beg recruits, he will have to put a new staff together, if he is staying with most of the old one he might as well leave now. Canales will have to build on out of conference wins to get any recognition from sponsors, big donors, and the T-Shirt alumni. I understand what a big splash can do for this program, but as of this season win, lose or draw Canales is still an experiment that has not stayed anywhere very long.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Count me in the group that doesn't give a crap how big the name is, how many hands they would shake at the Taco Cabana, or how much baggage they would truck into town when they arrived. Will they win games once here, yes or no? Now, this is mostly a theoretical matter, and that's why ADs get paid big bucks, to do the research, assess intangibles, and essentially roll the dice and have to live with the results. Will they win games once here?

Concerning Canales: It's interesting, isn't it? Given the injuries, it's hard not to be impressed. But for me this is what it comes down to at the moment:

Western Kentucky: Beat a team we should have beat. I liked the style of the win, but it's one we should have won, so it's very cool but not completely mind blowing.

Troy: hung in there against a team that should have locked us in its gimp box and thrown away the key. A loss is a loss, so it's hard to start the coronation ceremony just yet. But at least it was a fun game to watch from 15:00 1Q to :45 4Q.

He's auditioning, and doing more than enough on the field to merit a sober look. But he definitely still needs to do more, quite a bit more, to seal the deal. T-Shirts are cute; Ws are priceless. If he keeps winning, I don't envy RV and the decision he's paid the big bucks to have to live with.

• Upvote 2

If we got Leach we would be set and no he would not have to attend and beg everyone to come. People would come, sponsors would come, donors would come, recruits would come. That means big money, that means our AD would be that much more flexible hiring the next coach after a Leach. A Leach is a jump start and a Canales is a risk and a slow build at best (and I do mean everything, Fans, Recruits, Donors, Sponsors). And there is absolutely no guarantee that Canales would stay very long "IF" and that my friends is still a real big "IF" he is successful. He will have to beg recruits, he will have to put a new staff together, if he is staying with most of the old one he might as well leave now. Canales will have to build on out of conference wins to get any recognition from sponsors, big donors, and the T-Shirt alumni. I understand what a big splash can do for this program, but as of this season win, lose or draw Canales is still an experiment that has not stayed anywhere very long.

Just curious, but how do you KNOW that people, sponsors, donors, and recruits would come to North Texas with Mike Leach? I don't doubt that there will be some curious football fans who would be interested in attending a game or two just to see what's going on, but if we don't win immediately, I doubt they'll continue coming to games just for Leach. Leach would also have to put together a new staff, so I don't see how that's any different than Canales or any other current coordinator coming in.

For the sake of argument, can we say that Frank Solich is a relatively well known name? Maybe he's not Mike Leach around here, but I'll bet people up in the Midwest know who he is. When he was fired from Nebraska and subsequently hired at Ohio, did the sponsors, donors, and recruits suddenly spike?

• Upvote 1

As to the "splash hire" movement. That might just be a great idea. Let's say we bring in a Mike Leach (or a Fran, etc). Thousands would show up to see him coach. Our stadium would be filled with the ticket buying masses. T-shirt alumni would come out of the woodwork. We'd probably get to be on national TV a time or two. And yes, he'd probably win. Then, as soon as the next big offer came along, he'd be gone.

sure bring in the circus. fans, media, winning then he moves on? great! canales might win, would not sell as many tickets or as much media but would leave for a better offer too. take leach and the over.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Im willing to bet GreenMiner never read a word of the Leavitt investigation that was posted two weeks ago. But hey, if you keep repeating something long enough it must be true regardless if 20 others who were in the room said it didn't. We don't deserve Mike Canales, we deserve Dennis Parker!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 2

I have no idea who we should hire, but I do know the stakes are very high for those who will hire. Hope we get the right one.

On Another Front: Here is one of my favorite folks songs from the 70's when 316 Fry Street was my home for awhile and life much simpler & care-free, and no, there is no hidden message in these lyrics concerning coaches searches, either. Its just one of my favorite songs-that's all. :flowers:

Meanings Will Change

©1971 Yarone Music

From the album "Paul and..." by Paul Stookey of Peter, Paul and Mary MUSIC NOTE: From the album that produced one of the most played or sung wedding songs to this day, ie, "The Wedding Song" (There Is Love) written by Paul Stookey. He also plays a great 12-string guitar that he calls--Noel. Music is great therapy--yes, yes. :blink:

Meanings will change as you learn to grow

And all that is known becomes suddenly old

And that which you had to last you 'til the end

Turns out to be just a passing friend

And would you spend your life away

Collecting great treasures

So you'd be safe someday?

And when you're old, and when you're gray

meanings will change; life's just that way

When you're finally sure

You think you understand

All about living and life's demands

Someone will touch you and you'll see again

Meanings will change; you just can't win

So don't you worry 'bout your money friend

Don't you worry 'bout your fame

It's all a conspiracy; all part of a game

And you're the conspirator; the silent enemy

and you're the victim. You finally see

After you get to where you have to be

After you own everything you see

When meanings don't change

About the things you knew

You might as well die, it's all over for you

If you're wise and if you know

What few things are real which never grow old

Then take them now and make you a start

With a simple life and a simple heart.

• Upvote 1

Plummer, have you been skipping doses of you meds? :D

Actually had lunch today with (by the way) an avid Coach Chico supporter, ie, the famous eulesseagle.

This lunch at Fort Worth's Railhead BBQ where we were compleltely surrounded by TCU'ers and Horned Froggers all over the damn place. I think I actually may have got myself a wiff of some 2'nd hand pot smoke or something because I've been very mellow ever since lunch unless...

...ee, you didn't slip a mickey in my beverage of choice did you? He did have me quickly sign some affadavit about supporting some coach but I was too far gone. (Just kiddin').

We did have a great alumnus get-together in Cowtown's west side, talked (extremley civil-like by the way) about Coach Chico and the fine job he's done in 2 games, the old days at North Texas, professors we had in common or knew back in the day, some on-campus shenanigannery (new word there) that shocked me coming from eulesseagle (but nothing like the day SUMG and I tried to set fire to Dennis Parkers enormous wooden Eagle Nest (a big egg for each TD--remember that one) :shocking: under the student section when no one was looking. (We couldn't get the damn thing to burn quite frankly and probably just as well since campus cops would have seen the smoke, chased us down and then throw us under the jailhouse).

Meds? :thumbsup:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just curious, but how do you KNOW that people, sponsors, donors, and recruits would come to North Texas with Mike Leach? I don't doubt that there will be some curious football fans who would be interested in attending a game or two just to see what's going on, but if we don't win immediately, I doubt they'll continue coming to games just for Leach. Leach would also have to put together a new staff, so I don't see how that's any different than Canales or any other current coordinator coming in.

For the sake of argument, can we say that Frank Solich is a relatively well known name? Maybe he's not Mike Leach around here, but I'll bet people up in the Midwest know who he is. When he was fired from Nebraska and subsequently hired at Ohio, did the sponsors, donors, and recruits suddenly spike?

Because it shows UNT is serious, I have a bit of an understanding of named power. Canales will or will not get a new staff? Kind of puts him in an interesting bind huh? Say Canales does get a new staff those that would work for him are not the same that would work for a guy like Leach so no, not the same. Winning does not a lot if we just beat the Belt because not many care about FIU, WKY, FAU, Arky State, ULALA, Monroe, and Troy. It will be the Out of Conference wins that mean anything.

As for the rest I will just beat my head. I can't believe people don't understand what a night and day difference in potential a named hire is compared to an existing OC. WOW

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1