Thoughts On Canales' Efforts To Land The Job

MeanGreen61

PMG, I think that was medical marijuana.

Seriously, I think we all agree (including PMG) that "IF" NT is going to spend "BIG" bucks, 400-500k, to hire a big name coach then we all have to agree that this "Big Name" coach better deliver with wins, recruiting, fans, marketing and some sort of sponsorship for the new stadium. IMHO, this is what has been regurgitated over the last three weeks in all sort of comments from soft serve to hard core vile remarks.

"IF" NT historically goes with the same financial philosophy of hires since the retirement of Coach Mitchell (1966) then I am satisfied with Coach Canales and his current staff.....and.....I sort of got the same impression after PMG finished his second helping of another pound and a half of brisket and cobbler.

No matter what some may think of PMG he is really a "teddy bear" in person who only wants the best for NT athletics. This is about the third or forth time I have sat down and had lunch with him and find him quite enjoyable to talk to. Believe it or not he is even complimentary about his adversaries. Call him up and I feel certain he will meet you for lunch.

Edited by eulesseagle

If what we need is someone to go out and sell the program, increase donations, motivate and excite people, and increase attendance in the venues....then I would like to put a bid in for none other than the Houston superstar Joel Osteen. He has done wonders for pulling in donations and creating excitement. He has also increased the attendance greatly in the former Compaq center. I am sure his wife would also be willing to sell the program.

What say you?

His wife is hot and smacks flight attendants. Having said that, I would in a heart beat.

• Upvote 1

Seriously, I think we all agree (including PMG) that "IF" NT is going to spend "BIG" bucks, 400-500k, to hire a big name coach then we all have to agree that this "Big Name" coach better deliver with wins, recruiting, fans, marketing and some sort of sponsorship for the new stadium. IMHO, this is what has been regurgitated over the last three weeks in all sort of comments from soft serve to hard core vile remarks.

"IF" NT historically goes with the same financial philosophy of hires since the retirement of Coach Mitchell (1966) then I am satisfied with Coach Canales and his current staff.....and.....I sort of got the same impression after PMG finished his second helping of another pound and a half of brisket and cobbler.

No matter what some may think of PMG he is really a "teddy bear" in person who only wants the best for NT athletics. This is about the third or forth time I have sat down and had lunch with him and find him quite enjoyable to talk to. Believe it or not he is even complimentary about his adversaries. Call him up and I feel certain he will meet you for lunch.

400-500k is not "BIG" bucks in the world of big-time College football coaching. It barely registers as playing. I don't know who NT is going to hire, but I agree I don't care if they hire FFRick and he names SilverEagle his Asst. Head Coach, as long as they win!!

I would certainly expect coach Canales to do this too. I think you're fooling yourself if you believe coach Canales only wants to be in Denton for the rest of his life. Who knows though? Maybe I'm wrong. I'm not willing to bet on that though.

While I wouldn't expect Canales to want to stay in Denton the rest of his life, I think he would be loyal to the program. I thik Leavitt and probably Canales would be loyal to an extent. Leavitt had offers to leave USF, but chose to stay. Even after the "incident", he still wanted his job back. Yes we need a coach to win and sell the school and program. HOWEVER, if he leaves after one or two years, then we are right back at square one and coaches like Canales, Leach, Fran, and Leavitt all have other jobs. Something else that Emmitt brought up on Saturday. Yeah, we would sell a name like Leach to fans and recruits. But those fans are fans of him. The second he leaves, they are going to follow him. We don't need a coach to sell himself.

While I wouldn't expect Canales to want to stay in Denton the rest of his life, I think he would be loyal to the program. I thik Leavitt and probably Canales would be loyal to an extent. Leavitt had offers to leave USF, but chose to stay. Even after the "incident", he still wanted his job back. Yes we need a coach to win and sell the school and program. HOWEVER, if he leaves after one or two years, then we are right back at square one and coaches like Canales, Leach, Fran, and Leavitt all have other jobs. Something else that Emmitt brought up on Saturday. Yeah, we would sell a name like Leach to fans and recruits. But those fans are fans of him. The second he leaves, they are going to follow him. We don't need a coach to sell himself.

Who cares if they leave they bring money, sponsors and fans, and if some of the fans leave we still have the money and the recruits I am not sure to what the disconnect is. Lets jump to a mid-major and then we will have a base.

• Upvote 1

$400-$500K isn't even close to getting us a big name coach. That wouldn't even beat the average salary for a HC in CUSA. If that is all we are willing to spend, we better snatch up Canales up immediately.

Mike Canales deserves a shot at a head coaching job, but is UNT the right job for him?

Hiring Mike would be a big gamble for UNT. Can UNT afford to make that gamble at the particular situation the program is in right now?

Note: Moral victories are not victories in college football. They still go in the loss column.

But Mike is a really nice guy and he really and I mean really wants to be a Head Coach.

• Upvote 2

One point in his favor, he knows what the program has and lacks from seeing it first hand and not just from the outside like other candidates would be evaluating it.

Everyone knows what the program has. The question is can Canales go out and get what the program doesn't have...bigger and better talent as well as better coaches?

Edited by MizzouTigers

Who cares if they leave they bring money, sponsors and fans, and if some of the fans leave we still have the money and the recruits I am not sure to what the disconnect is. Lets jump to a mid-major and then we will have a base.

Not if they leave after a max of two years. It will take a few years after we start winning to build a constant fanbase and sponsors.

Not if they leave after a max of two years. It will take a few years after we start winning to build a constant fanbase and sponsors.

Winning didn't do anything for Dickey, we need excitement now and where do you get 2 years max from, i think you mean 5 years max. We need to raise the bar past Old Chico for sure this time around.

• Upvote 1

Well a large part of Dickey's problem is that he was an ass, and that he only tried to win a few OOC games, ie SMU and Baylor.

If we were to get Leach, you can bet that he will be looking for his next job from day one. If he did a decent job here, I think he would be gone in 1-2 years at the first resonable job offer from a AQ school.

And Im not pushing for Canales. I don't think I'd be upset if he did get the job. My #1 is Leavitt.

Edited by Rudy

Leach would still bring in money and I think 1-2 years on leach is pretty pessimistic. And Old Chico is pushing 50. I think not realizing that bringing in a new coach and wiping the slate clean is very important to excite the average fan is a huge mistake. Canales is an experiment at best. we deserve so much better people my god. We have no guarantee that Canales would stay any longer.

Edited by KingDL1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Maybe you're right, but I think that IF he even wanted to come here, he would be wanting out at the first opportunity. What NT needs is to build it's program into something that replicates Boise, USF, Utah, or TCU. What better way to do that than with a coordinator from one of those schools, or since he is avaiable, a former head coach of one of those schools. We need somone who has worked with LESS than what we have and built a program to MORE than what we are now. If you think about it, anyone we hire would be an "experiment" Could Fran or leach build this program? Their last jobs had more than what we have. Would they be able to sell to recruits and convince them to come here instead of an AQ school?

Personally, I think Leach would be selling himself and not the school to recruits. You can't discount the possiblity that he would take them with him when he left.

I think all of the Leach talk is actually a moot point. I don't think he has any interest in coming here, nor do I think the university has contacted him.

Maybe you're right, but I think that IF he even wanted to come here, he would be wanting out at the first opportunity. What NT needs is to build it's program into something that replicates Boise, USF, Utah, or TCU. What better way to do that than with a coordinator from one of those schools, or since he is avaiable, a former head coach of one of those schools. We need somone who has worked with LESS than what we have and built a program to MORE than what we are now. If you think about it, anyone we hire would be an "experiment" Could Fran or leach build this program? Their last jobs had more than what we have. Would they be able to sell to recruits and convince them to come here instead of an AQ school?

Personally, I think Leach would be selling himself and not the school to recruits. You can't discount the possiblity that he would take them with him when he left.

I think all of the Leach talk is actually a moot point. I don't think he has any interest in coming here, nor do I think the university has contacted him.

You know we used to beat Texas Tech fairly regularly until Leach took them over. And why would you care how he got the recruits here? I guess I am really missing the animosity toward name brands vs the typical up and comer that UNT always does. We have a real opportunity to do something special this time around and Chico maybe special someday but not today.

Edited by KingDL1
  • Upvote 2

Just curious, but how do you KNOW that people, sponsors, donors, and recruits would come to North Texas with Mike Leach? I don't doubt that there will be some curious football fans who would be interested in attending a game or two just to see what's going on, but if we don't win immediately, I doubt they'll continue coming to games just for Leach. Leach would also have to put together a new staff, so I don't see how that's any different than Canales or any other current coordinator coming in.

For the sake of argument, can we say that Frank Solich is a relatively well known name? Maybe he's not Mike Leach around here, but I'll bet people up in the Midwest know who he is. When he was fired from Nebraska and subsequently hired at Ohio, did the sponsors, donors, and recruits suddenly spike?

I damn sure know who Solich is and all of us at Mizzou could not believe the dumbass Nebraska AD Pederson not only fired him, but the current Cobsucker coach named Pelini as well. Now how dumb is that?

• Upvote 2

You know we used to beat Texas Tech fairly regularly until Leach took them over. And why would you care how he got the recruits here? I guess I am really missing the animosity toward name brands vs the typical up and comer that UNT always does. We have a real opportunity to do something special this time around and Chico maybe special someday but not today.

What is your hang up on "brand name"? It seems that is all you are pushing is name. And I wasn't aware that I was displaying animosity?

But, you are right, we have a real opportunity this time around. That is why I want Leavitt.

I have no idea who we should hire, but I do know the stakes are very high for those who will hire. Hope we get the right one.

On Another Front: Here is one of my favorite folks songs from the 70's when 316 Fry Street was my home for awhile and life much simpler & care-free, and no, there is no hidden message in these lyrics concerning coaches searches, either. Its just one of my favorite songs-that's all. :flowers:

Meanings Will Change

©1971 Yarone Music

From the album "Paul and..." by Paul Stookey of Peter, Paul and Mary MUSIC NOTE: From the album that produced one of the most played or sung wedding songs to this day, ie, "The Wedding Song" (There Is Love) written by Paul Stookey. He also plays a great 12-string guitar that he calls--Noel. Music is great therapy--yes, yes. :blink:

Meanings will change as you learn to grow

And all that is known becomes suddenly old

And that which you had to last you 'til the end

Turns out to be just a passing friend

And would you spend your life away

Collecting great treasures

So you'd be safe someday?

And when you're old, and when you're gray

meanings will change; life's just that way

When you're finally sure

You think you understand

All about living and life's demands

Someone will touch you and you'll see again

Meanings will change; you just can't win

So don't you worry 'bout your money friend

Don't you worry 'bout your fame

It's all a conspiracy; all part of a game

And you're the conspirator; the silent enemy

and you're the victim. You finally see

After you get to where you have to be

After you own everything you see

When meanings don't change

About the things you knew

You might as well die, it's all over for you

If you're wise and if you know

What few things are real which never grow old

Then take them now and make you a start

With a simple life and a simple heart.

PMG...

I have no idea who or what your are in real life, but what I do know is I would love to sit down and drink beer with you and FightingRick until they kick us out of the tavern. You are one dry, sarcastic, cynical sumbitch and I like that about you.