Vito Blog - End Of The Night Thoughts

MeanGreen61

Some of the best times in NT football and basketball were directed by Barnum and Bailey proteges. Hayden Fry could work magic and so could coach Blakeley. Nothing wrong with being a promoter. In fact, it might be refreshing to have a coach who can work a room again. Canales is looking better and better to me, but what do I know, I only buy season tickets, give to the Mean Green Club and have donated in the past to the stadium fund.

• Upvote 3

Some of you are just unbelievable. Do you all really think Canales has family members posting for him on here? Really?

If I were you guys, at this point in time I would be suspicious of the motives of any newbies, including yours truly.

"Family members?" Not sure about that but I'll tell you that after SDSU fired Ted Tollner, two of the newbies to our board who looked initially like they might be nothing more than interested bystanders (which I assure you is all I am here) were eventually outed as friends of former San Jose State coach Terry Shea, who had left SJSU after two years for Rutgers and was then fired. I'm not saying Shea had anything to do with that or even knew about it. I'm only saying that, unlike you, I don't think posters who question the objectivity of others should necessarily be labeled "unbelievable."

Some of the best times in NT football and basketball were directed by Barnum and Bailey proteges. Hayden Fry could work magic and so could coach Blakeley. Nothing wrong with being a promoter. In fact, it might be refreshing to have a coach who can work a room again. Canales is looking better and better to me, but what do I know, I only buy season tickets, give to the Mean Green Club and have donated in the past to the stadium fund.

Thus far Canales seems to be the type that can really connect with folks. A huge asset when selling the program to recruits and fans. Plus he can coach.

Edited by MeanGreen61

Silver...you are so right! The folks who were not at the game really do not know how much fun that game was...even a pass and catch to a tight end. I almost had a heart attack! ha! I even compared the game to some I watched Fry coach. Even in a loss, it was fun to be at the game. There was absolutely no self-promotion involved unless you think letting everyone know how much you want to be the next head coach at UNT is self-promotion. If that be the case...bring me some more of that kind of self-promotion. UNT needs more of it.

Nicely said, "young" Mr. Silver!

GO MEAN GREEN!

Thanks Kram1, (as the drunken Dr. said to John Wayne in the classic movie Stagecoach) "professional compliments are always appreciated". I also appreciate your help in putting my surplus tickets to good use.

Barnum and Bailey? Isn't that how Hayden Frys' detractors described him when he was coaching at North Texas?

Cooler heads? Isn't this the same BOR that approved the TD hire?

Jim, you weren't at the game. I saw a bunch of beat up players who were out there punching to the very end. Last year they would have folded it up after the first Troy TD and walked through their dog whipping.

Speaking of beat up players. My respect for R. Dodge has gone up significantly after last night. Playing fearlessly against a bunch of semi-pro players who came after him EVERY PLAY, and there he was wearing a cast on his recently operated on left wrist.

I seem to recall that one of our favorite coaches beat Tennessee with a fourth string QB.

What I saw last night in gutsy play, smart play calling, and energy from the coaching staff, you CANNOT ASSESS in an resume and/or interview.

You should have been there Jim. It's been a long time since I've seen a North Texas team get into a genuine dog fight and not back down.

BUT, we have three more weeks and.....we'll see.

I was going to post, but this is exactly what I was going to say. Well deserved +1 Silver.

Barnum and Bailey? Isn't that how Hayden Frys' detractors described him when he was coaching at North Texas?

Cooler heads? Isn't this the same BOR that approved the TD hire?

Jim, you weren't at the game. I saw a bunch of beat up players who were out there punching to the very end. Last year they would have folded it up after the first Troy TD and walked through their dog whipping.

Speaking of beat up players. My respect for R. Dodge has gone up significantly after last night. Playing fearlessly against a bunch of semi-pro players who came after him EVERY PLAY, and there he was wearing a cast on his recently operated on left wrist.

I seem to recall that one of our favorite coaches beat Tennessee with a fourth string QB.

What I saw last night in gutsy play, smart play calling, and energy from the coaching staff, you CANNOT ASSESS in an resume and/or interview.

You should have been there Jim. It's been a long time since I've seen a North Texas team get into a genuine dog fight and not back down.

BUT, we have three more weeks and.....we'll see.

+1. And that's all I would suggest to anyone at this point, is to keep an open mind (and yes, I have my favorite, and yes will support whoever gets the nod). Another thing: although not a large crowd, one that stayed to the end and was excited throughout, and players who thought they could win until the opponent started into the "victory formation".

IMHO, I thought the team played harder than what I have seen in a long time. I think everyone who stayed thought that they would pull it out at the end. I saw a great deal of progress and fight under the Canales watch so far. Even this older UNT coach ....in his mid eighties....(can't remember his name right now) grabbed my and was estatic how Canales has molded this team. Got to agree with him. I think everyone could tell that he wished he was back down on the field last night. This had to be one of the better games that I have seen at Fouts in a while.

Is Canales going to be the next head coach? don't know. All I know is that I voted for him on Harry's coache's poll.

1. All I know, after last night's game, is that this team is not going to believe that the season is over.

2. The Boy Scouts should have brought more hot chocolate.

Appears to me that the team is really responding to Coach Canales and the Lock the Gate theme. Coach Canales' post game show was very enthusiastic in his attitute toward the team and players.

It is one thing to listen to the game on the raido, read about it in the paper but being there, last night, was priceless.

If anyone needs some "chill pills" I have some in my medicine cabinet from a couple of three or so years ago that CBL and Quoner sent me. :unsure:

• Upvote 1

I believe Canales has shown signs he has what it takes to win as a head coach

I also believe it could very well playout in his favor elsewhere. And that we'll get a name coach who fails here. And people will still be laughing at UNT because we dismissed those signs - and an obvious passion to succeed in Denton - because he wasn't a "big name".

There are no guarantees.

There are no guarantees... We need to not focus on the name and focus on the desire, skills and will to win here at UNT. I want the passion in my HFC. I don't want a washed up "name" trying to rekindle a flagging career.

• Upvote 1

IMHO, I thought the team played harder than what I have seen in a long time. I think everyone who stayed thought that they would pull it out at the end. I saw a great deal of progress and fight under the Canales watch so far. Even this older UNT coach ....in his mid eighties....(can't remember his name right now) grabbed my and was estatic how Canales has molded this team. Got to agree with him. I think everyone could tell that he wished he was back down on the field last night. This had to be one of the better games that I have seen at Fouts in a while.

Who wants to fill in this incredibly awkward blank?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You know what bugs me?

The fact that PMG's rants have overshadowed accomplishments of players and coaching staff over the last few weeks. It's not, "I hope the trend continues against the rest of our opponents with wins," on GMG today. It's either, "Canales is lame and is self-promoting and running a dog and pony show and the accomplishments so far are worthless," and "Dude, slow down. Canales might not be our guy, how about paying him and the rest of team some respect for their work?"

GMG! Beat MTSU!

• Upvote 4

There are no guarantees... We need to not focus on the name and focus on the desire, skills and will to win here at UNT. I want the passion in my HFC. I don't want a washed up "name" trying to rekindle a flagging career.

How many washed up "names" have you seen bandied about on this board? I only recall a couple that had losing records at their last coaching hitch and neither name has received a lot of mention.

I just want a coach that can (and has proved) that he can win at the FBS level. If he has proven that he can sell tickets, attract donors, and recruit at that level then I look at that as a plus.

I don't think that you'll get a finalist that doesn't have the desire, skills and will to win. They've proven that.

• Upvote 1

What do you want out of a coach?

Let's look at it in simple terms. A coach is supposed to (in addition to recruit, Xs/Os, talk to the community, etc.) get his team ready to play, get them prepared and most importantly, GET THEM TO PLAY UP TO AND (IF THEY'RE GOOD) BEYOND THEIR POTENTIAL.

For me, as one that, you know, ACTUALLY SAW THE TEAM WITH MY OWN EYES on Saturday, I saw a Troy team that was bigger, faster, and stronger physically than our team. I saw a UNT team that was down to it's 3rd string at many key positions and had little reason to be motivated after what they've been through this year go toe to toe with the class of the Sunbelt the past 3-4 years.

I don't understand why anyone, despite the fact that they were walking on campus before some people were a "gleam in our daddy's eye" would have a negative attitude toward Canales. I saw a team play BEYOND their potential on Saturday against a physically superior and well coached champion.

That's what I want out of a coach.

• Upvote 3

You know what bugs me?

The fact that PMG's rants have overshadowed accomplishments of players and coaching staff over the last few weeks. It's not, "I hope the trend continues against the rest of our opponents with wins," on GMG today. It's either, "Canales is lame and is self-promoting and running a dog and pony show and the accomplishments so far are worthless," and "Dude, slow down. Canales might not be our guy, how about paying him and the rest of team some respect for their work?"

GMG! Beat MTSU!

Best post I've read today! Spot on about PMG; the guy is just a hater. He never mentions the actual game detail, players efforts or progress they have made in the last two weeks. His entire agenda is to rag Canales. For what? Working his ass off and getting the most out of these players over the last two weeks.

PMG - don't go away mad

• Upvote 2

What do you want out of a coach?

Let's look at it in simple terms. A coach is supposed to (in addition to recruit, Xs/Os, talk to the community, etc.) get his team ready to play, get them prepared and most importantly, GET THEM TO PLAY UP TO AND (IF THEY'RE GOOD) BEYOND THEIR POTENTIAL.

For me, as one that, you know, ACTUALLY SAW THE TEAM WITH MY OWN EYES on Saturday, I saw a Troy team that was bigger, faster, and stronger physically than our team. I saw a UNT team that was down to it's 3rd string at many key positions and had little reason to be motivated after what they've been through this year go toe to toe with the class of the Sunbelt the past 3-4 years.

I don't understand why anyone, despite the fact that they were walking on campus before some people were a "gleam in our daddy's eye" would have a negative attitude toward Canales. I saw a team play BEYOND their potential on Saturday against a physically superior and well coached champion.

That's what I want out of a coach.

Hey PMG! TCE has 1600 posts! Is he part of the Canales conspiracy also? :lol:

• Upvote 2

Anybody out there, don't do it, just a trap question.

In 1967 the Egytian army was traveling north to Isreal during the Six Day War when the Egytian army spotted one lone Israli soldier crawling near a sand dune. The commander sent out ten men to finish this guy off and when nobody came back he sent out 30....then 50 .... then 100....and finally one of the 100 came back and reported, "don't send more...it's a trap there are TWO of them."

Did anyone else see the bus load of football recruits that arrived at the

main gate, then made their way to the North Texas bench? Coach Canales was

talking to each of the recruits, shaking hands, giving hugs, and showing

these recruits that he cares about them and North Texas. I overheard two

recruits who said, they hope Canales will be the next coach at NT during

while in line at the Scouts concession booth.

With the coaching situation at NT, I though very few recruits would

come to NT for a visit. I can see Canales has made a bing impression

on recruiting for NT. There must have been 60-70 football recruits

on that bus alone! Aditional recruits were showing up in smaller groups

into the 1st quarter. I have never seem that many recruits come to a

single North Texas game!

There is no doubt that Canales can connect to the prospects!

That ability to connect to football prospects is a very big

+1 in my book.

I just love your posts, Emmitt, they show your quick wit and very high intelligence quota, too. So come on, now, give us another hip-hop quirky little sports journalistic quickie for us to laugh at.

You were only a gleam in your father's eye last time UNT had a football coach that was even close to having more career wins than losses; yet you and your most hip and cool crowd on this board seem to enjoy this neighborhood, ie, our annual culture of losing we've been in so long some have gotten comfortable with it, though.

I actually feel sorry for your hardy little handful on this board, though; and am always very impressed with how yalls red numbers appear so quick on posts that those outside GMG.com would call progressive. But losing begats losing and some just seem to enjoy that more than the others would.

And what do you think of that Women's BB coach hire 3 years ago, ie, one that came from a 32-58 program where she was assistant or are you going to lose your objectivity with that one, too. What is it about North Texas and assistants from losing programs? Tell us Emmitt, with that sharp, quick wit mind--we are all ears.

Carry on...

I'm sorry, did Canales come from a losing program?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It just must be in the Denton water. FWIW, even the DRC Sports Editor has only seen and been a part of what we've been doing the last 6 hires at North Texas so he really has nothing else to compare to, either. You can't blame him.

But........Canales has gone to new low's I've ever seen at UNT to do all this freeby give away crap to promote himself. Does he think those who will decide are stupid? Does he think the masses will buy into all this, too? Sure, a handful on GMG.com will because they even bought into the hiring of a womens BB Coach who was an assistant from an NCAA program that was 32-58 when North Texas hired her. That, too, has not been a successful hire but wouldn't that be predictable at 99% other NCAA outposts? I think all will see that these kind of hiring cycles will soon be broken by those who have the power to insure that it does.

Yet........the ones who will not buy into all this self-serving hype from Canales are the ones Rick V needs to contribute to this program and to actually buy tickets to watch the 7'th project no name hire in a row (which will not happen). We are becoming a laughing stock in the Metroplex for even entertaining such an idea for you who dare to even listen.

Be assured that cooler heads will prevail once this Barnum and Baily circus act is seen for what it is and look at the UNT Board of Regents as most strategic in leading the way to help North Texas breaking this 3 decade cycle of very bad hires, but meanwhile, enjoy the circus and all its clowns. Our Mean Green football team deserve a clean slate, a brand new start with a new direction and God knows their fans do too.

Holy crap Plumm! You earned -21 for that post. Seriously, is that a new record?

It it gets to this point where he gets an interview (and don't forget that Dickey with 4 bowls at North Texas never recruited up enough to win after Bowl 4 to keep winning as to keep his job nor did he get one interview at the next level which doesn't put the Sun Belt Conference in good stead but with Canales this is still the barometer we will use to hire this guy if that were to remotely happen)?

Anyhow........Canales will sit down in front of our hiring authorities and (from a source) need to explain why he got fired from Arizona after 1(?) season; maybe be asked "after years as a journeyman coach w/o ever being a head football coach why (suddenly) is North Texas the school?" (My answer is that he will look how we hired our last 6 and how our leaders were suckered in by hiring most of that 6--none of whom bettered themselves after their North Texas careers as far as moving up the NCAA totem pole)

Then he will be asked the question that 2 major alumnus groups I've received word have genuine doubts on Canales and they would need an answer to this? "Can you recruit up to the next level since we have no record of your recruiting Texas High Schools which would show a trend of whether you can do it or not?

PS: Come on, Canales Family Connection, give me some more red, baby!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 11

Holy crap Plumm! You earned -21 for that post. seriously, is that a new record?

Maybe--I'm not counting; but the record that does count is we've hired our last several HFC's not knowing if any would buck the trend as total unknown quantities with no prior HFC's (successful) experience at the NCAA FBS level. Why it has not happened or ever been successful at North Texas no one really knows; maybe we are just one helluva' snake bit outfit up there.

With a new stadium which will soon debut, we better start killing some of those snakes in the grass. So speaking of records, its our past record of hiring that should concern all on this board--it's almost like some on this forum want to see this football program to continue in its failing ways. Many of us just don't get it--and I do mean.....many.

Red is one of my favorite colors so I kind of like those red numbers. I will sleep well tonight whereas I know others will not; that is, those who are even trying to bribe their way into what they apparently think is "an easy touch" crowd at North Texas who will hire just about anyone. Did you ever see the movie Elmer Gantry with Burt Lancaster? Some of whats going on with all this reminds me of that movie

With that in mind, I can honestly see why Canales would think he has a chance at our HFC job as he looks at our very unsuccessful hiring record in Denton. He probably sees it as easy as a turkey shoot and all he has to do is beat a few Bottom 25 schools from the SBC to get the job. This all is sad as day...

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 9