Vito Blog - End Of The Night Thoughts

MeanGreen61

This team is buying into Canales, who still has a few more games left to show what he can do. At least he is putting UNT's players in the right position to succeed.

END OF THE NIGHT THOUGHTS

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2010/11/end-of-the-night-thoughts.html

It just must be in the Denton water. FWIW, even the DRC Sports Editor has only seen and been a part of what we've been doing the last 6 hires at North Texas so he really has nothing else to compare to, either. You can't blame him.

But........Canales has gone to new low's I've ever seen at UNT to do all this freeby give away crap to promote himself. Does he think those who will decide are stupid? Does he think the masses will buy into all this, too? Sure, a handful on GMG.com will because they even bought into the hiring of a womens BB Coach who was an assistant from an NCAA program that was 32-58 when North Texas hired her. That, too, has not been a successful hire but wouldn't that be predictable at 99% other NCAA outposts? I think all will see that these kind of hiring cycles will soon be broken by those who have the power to insure that it does.

Yet........the ones who will not buy into all this self-serving hype from Canales are the ones Rick V needs to contribute to this program and to actually buy tickets to watch the 7'th project no name hire in a row (which will not happen). We are becoming a laughing stock in the Metroplex for even entertaining such an idea for you who dare to even listen.

Be assured that cooler heads will prevail once this Barnum and Baily circus act is seen for what it is and look at the UNT Board of Regents as most strategic in leading the way to help North Texas breaking this 3 decade cycle of very bad hires, but meanwhile, enjoy the circus and all its clowns. Our Mean Green football team deserve a clean slate, a brand new start with a new direction and God knows their fans do too.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 30

It just must be in the Denton water. FWIW, even the DRC Sports Editor has only seen and been a part of what we've been doing the last 6 hires at North Texas so he really has nothing else to compare to, either. You can't blame him.

But........Canales has gone to new low's I've ever seen at UNT to do all this freeby give away crap to promote himself. Does he think those who will decide are stupid? Does he think the masses will buy into all this, too? Sure, a handful on GMG.com will because they even bought into the hiring of a womens BB Coach who was an assistant from an NCAA program that was 32-58 when North Texas hired her. That, too, has not been a successful hire but wouldn't that be predictable at 99% other NCAA outposts? I think all will see that these kind of hiring cycles will soon be broken by those who have the power to insure that it does.

Self Promoting? The T shirts say "Lock the Gate." Not "Canales for Head Coach." The Lock the gate theme purpose is to get the players, fans, and everybody something to rally behind. And from what we saw throughout this season, Injuries, Player Passing away, HC being fired, what a better time to give everybody something to rally behind. Whether you like/support Canales or not, please dont belittle his intentions and desire to give the kids something to play for by calling it self promoting.

We all want the same thing and that is for the Mean Green to play hard and not give up.

Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 3

Yet........the ones who will not buy into all this self-serving hype from Canales are the ones Rick V needs to contribute to this program and to actually buy tickets to watch the 7'th project no name hire in a row (which will not happen). We are becoming a laughing stock in the Metroplex for even entertaining such an idea for you who dare to even listen.

Be assured that cooler heads will prevail once this Barnum and Baily circus act is seen for what it is and look at the UNT Board of Regents as most strategic in leading the way to help North Texas breaking this 3 decade cycle of very bad hires, but meanwhile, enjoy the circus and all its clowns. Our Mean Green football team deserve a clean slate, a brand new start with a new direction and God knows their fans do too.

What North Texas needs is a coach that WANTS to be here. They don't need a coach looking for a filler position in hopes of going back to the big time. A few self-serving donors should not be dictating this hire. RV will make the call.

Plumm, how about you give us an example of a "big name coach" who has turned around a mid-major in the WAC, Sun Belt, or MAC after being fired from a BCS program?

Barnum and Bailey? Isn't that how Hayden Frys' detractors described him when he was coaching at North Texas?

Cooler heads? Isn't this the same BOR that approved the TD hire?

Jim, you weren't at the game. I saw a bunch of beat up players who were out there punching to the very end. Last year they would have folded it up after the first Troy TD and walked through their dog whipping.

Speaking of beat up players. My respect for R. Dodge has gone up significantly after last night. Playing fearlessly against a bunch of semi-pro players who came after him EVERY PLAY, and there he was wearing a cast on his recently operated on left wrist.

I seem to recall that one of our favorite coaches beat Tennessee with a fourth string QB.

What I saw last night in gutsy play, smart play calling, and energy from the coaching staff, you CANNOT ASSESS in an resume and/or interview.

You should have been there Jim. It's been a long time since I've seen a North Texas team get into a genuine dog fight and not back down.

BUT, we have three more weeks and.....we'll see.

• Upvote 6

Self Promoting? The T shirts say "Lock the Gate." Not "Canales for Head Coach." The Lock the gate theme purpose is to get the players, fans, and everybody something to rally behind. And from what we saw throughout this season, Injuries, Player Passing away, HC being fired, what a better time to give everybody something to rally behind. Whether you like/support Canales or not, please dont belittle his intentions and desire to give the kids something to play for by calling it self promoting.

We all want the same thing and that is for the Mean Green to play hard and not give up.

Go Mean Green!

Tell your Cuzzin' Mike nothing personal, but we can't take a gamble on yet a 7'th in a row unknown project hire at North Texas. Been there--done that so many times you'd think we would have learned a lesson or 2 from it--seems we haven't, though. I guess we are slow of wit and mind at UNT and maybe this a reason Coach C may think we'd be not of sharp mind enough to do what we've been doing again and again and again expecting different or better results--BTW, some on this board have in the past call that modus operendi the very definition of insanity.

Sun Belters would love to recruit against a school that would be the first in NCAA history to hire an unknown HFC commodity from a losing staff from a program that has had 6 losing seasons in a row. You don't think fellow Texas schools we say we want to start recruiting against wouldn't have food for fotter on this kind of hire, too? La Tech is foaming at the mouth for us to screw up another hire and we recruit against them regularly in our own backyard. The Bulldog recruiters would say, "nevermind their new stadium, but look at the kind of coaches North Texas always hires and you want to be part of that legacy?" :blink:

The UNT Board of Regents will have a very strong say in what coach they want UNT to usher in this new stadium with. They also know our past hiring history (like since 1981 for heaven's sake) just about as good as anyone and since most of them are successful business people--they know what can make a business thrive or what will close a business, too. They have to impart that attitude to state employees of which many times "quotas" are not part of their vocabulary and never have been.

I know its hard with some of these post without anyone taking offense personally. I have never met Mike Canales so I can be more objective than those on GMG.com who have cannot seem to be; but this most important hire at the University of North Texas is much bigger than any one man or any alum or fan.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

Tell your Cuzzin' Mike nothing personal, but we can't take a gamble on yet a 7'th in a row unknown project hire at North Texas. Been there--done that so many times you'd think we would have learned a lesson or 2 from it--seems we haven't, though. I guess we are slow of wit and mind at UNT and maybe this a reason Coach C may think we'd be not of sharp mind enough to do what we've been doing again and again and again expecting different or better results--BTW, some on this board have in the past call that modus operendi the very definition of insanity.

Sun Belters would love to recruit against a school that would be the first in NCAA history to hire an unknown HFC commodity from a losing staff from a program that has had 6 losing seasons in a row. You don't think fellow Texas schools we say we want to start recruiting against wouldn't have food for fotter on this kind of hire, too? La Tech is foaming at the mouth for us to screw up another hire and we recruit against them regularly in our own backyard. The Bulldog recruiters would say, "nevermind their new stadium, but look at the kind of coaches North Texas always hires and you want to be part of that legacy?" :blink:

The UNT Board of Regents will have a very strong say in what coach they want UNT to usher in this new stadium with. They also know our past hiring history (like since 1981 for heaven's sake) just about as good as anyone and since most of them are successful business people--they know what can make a business thrive or what will close a business, too. They have to impart that attitude to state employees of which many times "quotas" are not part of their vocabulary and never have been.

I know its hard with some of these post without anyone taking offense personally. I have never met Mike Canales so I can be more objective than those on GMG.com who have cannot seem to be; but this most important hire at the University of North Texas is much bigger than any one man or any alum or fan.

Which of the previous 6 hires had NFL coaching experience and were a coordinator at a big time program(big time=current BCS)? None.

Bob Tyler was a head coach at a big time program and was a miserable failure his one year here so your model doesn't exactly transfer well to North Texas.

Edited by Cr1028

So, this is what I see in that past two weeks with this no-good, self promoting, underqualified hack:

• Beat up players buying into a system and playing above their normal ability
  • Coach going out into the streets of Denton after a tough loss and thanking people wearing green
  • An upbeat tweet thanking the fans for the support
  • A LOT fewer mental penalties
  • Fans and players buying into the same approach
  • Honest assessment in the post game
  • Will to win
  • Clock management
  • After giving up the big play, the team going out and continuing to take care of business

Yeah, this stuff is awful. Clearly there's still work to be done, but man, what a different team this has been.

I'm still not putting my full endorsement behind Canales as permanent head coach, but his stock is definitely rising. Maybe it's just that I've only seen ONE other coach at UNT, so I have no idea how great the ancients were.

• Upvote 8

This is beginning to remind me of a piece of paper with "How do keep an idiot busy for hours? Turn over for the answer." printed on both sides.

• Upvote 3

This isn't a "Canales for Head Coach" post. This is a "stop being a jerk to the guy who's making progress post." So then, pay attention.

The Lock-the-Gate thing doesn't appear to be a self-promoting act. And even if it somehow is supposed to be, if it gets the players motivated and keeps them emotionally invested in the game, then let it happen. If it produces strong performance, I don't care what it is, especially if it doesn't say "Canales for HC."

It also looks like you want to ignore the sort of turnaround he's managed in just a few weeks. Prior to WKU, UNT was a team with something like half it's roster on the injured list, just coming off the injured list, and with one death in recent weeks. They've had 1 win all season, and a crushing loss to a team at home. Against FIU, the team didn't play with much heart, they played slow, and they were undisciplined.

Fast-forward to last night. They've got another win under their belt, and even if it was a huge win, WKU is a very weak school, and this could've been a fluke performance. UNT goes out and trades punches with the biggest, baddest team in the conference, and short of 1 trick play that Troy used at the start of the game, UNT matched Troy and in many cases, outcoached Troy. You could see that the team may have had the same roster they did against FIU, but they didn't play like it. Against a team with players who were often stronger and faster, our team went out and played smarter, taking advantage of what they could. While they lost 35-41, they also scored pretty well against a defense that was very difficult to block and kept a very strong offense from producing a blowout win. Troy is strong of a team to go out of conference and do more than bruise teams from other conferences - they go out and beat them. Our team nearly put Troy away last night thanks to some sort of mentality change between now and a few weeks ago. I highly doubt that they would've done the same had Troy played us at homecoming.

Our offense produced good numbers last night, fought hard, and showed it's dangerous in both the running and passing game. Troy coaches suspected that UNT could be dangerous based on the WKU performance. They were right. MTSU's coaches will not assume our team will be a cakewalk next Saturday.

You can't sit there and tell me - and especially, tell the players that Coach Canales and his interim staff aren't doing something right on practice day. Should he be hired? His record as HC is 1-1, so at this point he shouldn't be hired. But should his efforts be respected and applauded? Of course. Should the accomplishments of the players and coaches be applauded, especially in the turnaround time given? Of course.

Should you re-assess your opinion of this current coach? Without a doubt.

Edited by meangreendork
  • Upvote 3

Go Mean Green!

not exactly. some of us want the mean green to win and others want relatives to get the hc job

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

not exactly. some of us want the mean green to win and others want relatives to get the hc job

Heck, I'd want my spouse to get the job if I were in that position, but it's still up to him to earn it. Canales will have to post wins against the remaining SBC opponents and fight well against Kstate to get my vote for HC. If he isn't brought on as HC or kept as OC, then best of luck to him. He has some good offensive schemes running in his head and he makes for a great motivator. I'm sure he'll be fine no matter where he goes. If he is brought on as HC or OC, then the hotseat is his because we can see what he can do and he's set the bar for himself. We won't accept anything less than that and will always demand wins. If he can't perform, he needs to be given his walking papers very promptly.

What North Texas needs is a coach that WANTS to be here. They don't need a coach looking for a filler position in hopes of going back to the big time. A few self-serving donors should not be dictating this hire. RV will make the call.

Plumm, how about you give us an example of a "big name coach" who has turned around a mid-major in the WAC, Sun Belt, or MAC after being fired from a BCS program?

I don't have a problem with Canales but any coach striving to be a FBS coach will want to be here regardless. Remember there are only 120 of these jobs so if you want to be a HC and have that opportunity...believe me that them wanting to be even at little ol North Texas won't be an issue.

My only beef is that yes I am happy that we have seen a lot of positives the last couple of weeks and I love it but I don't want us to go on a Canales love fest and let it skew what the main goal is for the future and hinder our head coaching search. If we can raise our HC's pay to 600k-700k a year then we certainly have options to look elsewhere. I for one think that the next coach here should be Jim Leavitt or Dennis Franchione and I think we can make that happen if we really want it.

This is beginning to remind me of a piece of paper with "How do keep an idiot busy for hours? Turn over for the answer." printed on both sides.

I just love your posts, Emmitt, they show your quick wit and very high intelligence quota, too. So come on, now, give us another hip-hop quirky little sports journalistic quickie for us to laugh at.

You were only a gleam in your father's eye last time UNT had a football coach that was even close to having more career wins than losses; yet you and your most hip and cool crowd on this board seem to enjoy this neighborhood, ie, our annual culture of losing we've been in so long some have gotten comfortable with it, though.

I actually feel sorry for your hardy little handful on this board, though; and am always very impressed with how yalls red numbers appear so quick on posts that those outside GMG.com would call progressive. But losing begats losing and some just seem to enjoy that more than the others would.

And what do you think of that Women's BB coach hire 3 years ago, ie, one that came from a 32-58 program where she was assistant or are you going to lose your objectivity with that one, too. What is it about North Texas and assistants from losing programs? Tell us Emmitt, with that sharp, quick wit mind--we are all ears.

Carry on...

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

Barnum and Bailey? Isn't that how Hayden Frys' detractors described him when he was coaching at North Texas?

Cooler heads? Isn't this the same BOR that approved the TD hire?

Jim, you weren't at the game. I saw a bunch of beat up players who were out there punching to the very end. Last year they would have folded it up after the first Troy TD and walked through their dog whipping.

Speaking of beat up players. My respect for R. Dodge has gone up significantly after last night. Playing fearlessly against a bunch of semi-pro players who came after him EVERY PLAY, and there he was wearing a cast on his recently operated on left wrist.

I seem to recall that one of our favorite coaches beat Tennessee with a fourth string QB.

What I saw last night in gutsy play, smart play calling, and energy from the coaching staff, you CANNOT ASSESS in an resume and/or interview.

You should have been there Jim. It's been a long time since I've seen a North Texas team get into a genuine dog fight and not back down.

BUT, we have three more weeks and.....we'll see.

Silver...you are so right! The folks who were not at the game really do not know how much fun that game was...even a pass and catch to a tight end. I almost had a heart attack! ha! I even compared the game to some I watched Fry coach. Even in a loss, it was fun to be at the game. There was absolutely no self-promotion involved unless you think letting everyone know how much you want to be the next head coach at UNT is self-promotion. If that be the case...bring me some more of that kind of self-promotion. UNT needs more of it.

Nicely said, "young" Mr. Silver!

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 2

I believe Canales has shown signs he has what it takes to win as a head coach

I also believe it could very well playout in his favor elsewhere. And that we'll get a name coach who fails here. And people will still be laughing at UNT because we dismissed those signs - and an obvious passion to succeed in Denton - because he wasn't a "big name".

There are no guarantees.

• Upvote 5

The circus is for the players and it's working. You can reason all day long about why you need this kind of coach or don't need that kind of coach, but in the end it's about the players willingness to run thru walls for the HC and his ability to harness that in his game plan. I played for both kinds of coaches; great motivators and boring boneheads and the motivators win and the boneheads change jobs. With the motivators, players go to practice to see what kind of cool new stuff they're going to implement; with boneheads, players hate practice and both reactions show up in games. Funny; Dodge was supposed to be a great motivator, but I never saw that. Maybe it was that he knew his high school players since they were in the 7th grade and they couldn't wait to play for him.

If we could somehow do a poll of the players, we'd find out what kind of coach they think Canales is. The poll has to include the grunts too; linemen, backups; even kickers. Maybe they can't wait to play for Canales. It's not foolproof, but its a very good indicator.

• Upvote 2

Hell, what is the matter with self promotion. Ever been on or held an employment interview? Canales has kept a team together that could have easily folded. I am not one that gives all the credit to Canales, I think this team even in its injury laden present; has some talent and has been overall playing hard. Who to say Dodge would not have had the same results. Nobody knows, but we do know that the team is playing relatively well now and certainly hasn't shown any quit. Canales thus far has looked good in a very bad situation. Is he the one to lead NT to the zenith of non-aq football? The answer is unknown, just as it would be with any other candidate. With the exception of loose canon Leach, I don't see anyone that is going to give NT instant creditable with the recruits, NT fans, and football fans in general. The likelihood of hiring a Leach type is remote because of a number of reasons.

• Upvote 1

My only beef is that yes I am happy that we have seen a lot of positives the last couple of weeks and I love it but I don't want us to go on a Canales love fest and let it skew what the main goal is for the future and hinder our head coaching search. If we can raise our HC's pay to 600k-700k a year then we certainly have options to look elsewhere. I for one think that the next coach here should be Jim Leavitt or Dennis Franchione and I think we can make that happen if we really want it.

Agreed. Let's not lose sight of the long-term objective. After what we've endured the past three and a half seasons, it's very easy to get excited over a 33-6 win over 1-7 W. Kentucky and a close loss to 4-3 Troy. To my knowledge, Canales isn't exactly in high demand for any HC jobs at the FBS level. I love the passion Canales has and I think he may eventually be a solid FBS HC, I'm just not sure I'm willing to hedge the future of Mean Green football on an inexperienced HC (and, yes, he's inexperienced as a HC) at this critical juncture in our program. And, no, hiring a "big name" coach does not guarantee success at North Texas. Nor does Canales come with any guarantees he'll win here. But, I don't have the risk tolerance for an unproven HC, with so much riding on the outcome of next season. I'd much rather invest my money in a proven commodity.

Some of you are just unbelievable. Do you all really think Canales has family members posting for him on here? Really?

PMG,so you are putting your support behind a disgraced ex-BCS coach that has an affinity for leaving programs for greener pastures at the drop of a hat over a qualified assistant that has extensive experience and has shown he wants to be here?

+1

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1