Dodge is Gone - Canales named Interim

Harry

No surprise here. Good job RV. I think we all owe our best wishes to Todd. He has been nothing but a gentleman in this position and he endured some extremely tough circumstances (some of them self-imposed) over the last 3.5 years. I am grateful for the impact he had on some of the players and that he was always looking out for the best interest of the university.

Let the speculation begin on who will be the new coach.

You mean it hadn't begun before now!? :blink:

• Upvote 1

He has been a wonderful man, but I'm very glad to see this move. I was definitely in the minority when I was not excited at the announcement of Coach Dodge coming to UNT. I was really hoping to be proven wrong, but alas, this was one time when I was (unfortunately) right about a coaching move.

I wish the man nothing but the best in his future. I know many Southlake-Carroll fans who would welcome him back with open arms and a hefty paycheck! And, I expect Riley to stay and graduate from UNT. He seems like a stand-up guy and that just makes sense.

My Facebook friends keep throwing out Mike Leach as the name they'd like to see replace Dodge. It would be colorful and interesting. And, after these last few dud seasons, I'm all about colorful and interesting.

Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 2

Good luck to Coach Dodge and his family. I agree with the comment that Coach Dodge has been one of the classiest coaches since Coach Fry in the recent UNT past. This just had to be a very hard decision for RV and for Coach Dodge, but I am guessing that it was handled very professionally and that you will not hear anything negative from Coach Dodge.

Thanks for all you did to try to turn the program around, and I am very sorry that it did not work out for you. I will always remember how open you were to talk with and how you really wanted UNT to succeed. I am sure we will see you as a D1 head coach again one of these days, and I wish you all the luck going forward.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Of course Riley came to UNT primarily, if not solely, because his father was the coach. What's so terrible about that?

Not a thing is wrong with that being the motivating factor. But as supporters of the team, once that decision was made, wouldn't we expect him to fall in line with all of the other players and act/be treated as a player and not a son? At least as far as on field happenings are concerned?

My husband just texted me the news!

And I just thought y'all might want to know when you type holy crap! into your "smart phone" it changes it to holy veal...

My husband and I will just have to agree to disagree. He thought he should get another chance due to all the injuries this year and I did not. I thought he should be gone and I was a huge supporter of him coming here.

I wish him the best wherever he ends up because he is a good man and will be a good HC someday I think. Just not yet and not here.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

My husband just texted me the news!

And I just thought y'all might want to know when you type holy crap! into your "smart phone" it changes it to holy veal...

My husband and I will just have to agree to disagree. He thought he should get another chance due to all the injuries this year and I did not. I thought he should be gone and I was a huge supporter of him coming here.

I wish him the best wherever he ends up because he is a good man and will be a good HC someday I think. Just not yet and not here.

Holy veal. *giggling* My Iphone censors me as well.

• Upvote 1

Completely disagree. If he didn't, it would prove that the whole time he was playing, he was playing for Daddy Dodge and not Coach Dodge.

We could only have hoped and assumed that to Coach Dodge, Riley was treated as a player; and to Riley Dodge, Todd treated as a coach. I do not expect him to be here next year, but I would hope that he would be man enough to play out the season.

Riley will finish the season and, I suspect, his career at UNT. He has already been quoted as saying he loves North Texas and would stay at UNT if his dad was not retained. Riley has taken a lot of criticism during his time at UNT, some of it was warranted, but most was not. He was not blessed with the ideal size for a QB and he has endured a number of injuries, but I don't think anyone can dispute his dedication, commitment and heart for the game. Whatever position Riley plays for the remainder of his time at UNT, I wish him success and I hope the criticism will eventually subside.

As for Coach Dodge, he has shown and great deal of dignity and respect for North Texas. He has handled adversity like a champion. I think everyone wanted him to succeed here and build this program into what everyone envisions it can become. It just didn't work out and it's time to move on. I wish Coach Dodge the best and I think he'll be successful on whatever path his life takes him. I think he'll have a pretty good OC in about 7 years.

All I can tell you Martha is the Mean Green Nation will be dancing in the streets

I will not be "dancing in the streets", and I do consider myself a proud member of the Mean Green nation. I do not celebrate others misfortune. TD did what he thought was best to turn around the fortunes of the Mean green. It didn't work out. For that I am truly sorry, but I see no reason to "dance in the streets" over this situation. I'll be 100% behind Coach Canales and the next head coach of the Mean Green, but i will also thank Coach Dodge for his efforts and wish him well going forward. It is also time to wish Coach Canales well going forward.

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 6

During the Rangers game?

I thought you held press conferences to generate attention?

Actually, if it is bad news (like the firing of a HC) you try to make the announcement at a time when the fewest people will notice. Have you not noticed that Washington likes to make press announcements of bad and controversial news on Friday afternoons? Why? Because the press is preoccupied and so are the citizens with the weekend's events. Seems like a great time to do the press conference in my opinion.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

I will not be "dancing in the streets", and I do consider myself a proud member of the Mean Green nation. I do not celebrate others misfortune. TD did what he thought was best to turn around the fortunes of the Mean green. It didn't work out. For that I am truly sorry, but I see no reason to "dance in the streets" over this situation. I'll be 100% behind Coach Canales and the next head coach of the Mean Green, but i will also thank Coach Dodge for his efforts and wish him well going forward. It is also time to wish Coach Canales well going forward.

GO MEAN GREEN!

I can tell you love to lose and are used to it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

I'm glad that UNT made this move. I was afraid that Dodge would be given the coaching equivalent of a medical redshirt because of all the injuries this season.

It's a shame he didn't succeed here, because for the most part he seems like a good guy and a worthy representative of the school. But wins matter, and no coach in UNT history has found it harder to get them than Dodge.

I don't think Canales should be considered for the full-time gig after this season. UNT should hire a name coach who has proven he can win at this level of football and will get the media and DFW excited about the Mean Green.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2