Hypothetical

Green Crazy

What would TFLF say when he signed his son, who plays QB at Coppell, to play QB? His son has already played at TC-Cedar Hill, Cedar Hill before transferring to Coppell.

It's Marcus - not Coppell.

And I would would say we've never seen that before at UNT...

Edited by MeanMag

It's Marcus - not Coppell.

And I would would say we've never seen that before at UNT...

I knew it was a team that wore Red and Black. I've fixed it, thanks MeanMag!!

I heard a rumor yesterday and although I think it has a 0% chance of happening I thought it was an interesting candidate and a fun name to kick around. So, without getting into the probability of it happening and just focusing on whether or not you think it would be good for the football program (ie, ticket sales, recognition, W's...)what do you think about....wait for it.... "Prime Time"? Yep, Deion Sanders. He is a huge name and would bring a lot of attention to the school/program, but I also think he brings quite a few cons as well.

Would you be happy with a hire like this? Or would you rather hire some OC/DC that might be the next big thing?

Let me hear from you America!

no to sanders--he is a joke

• Eye Roll 1

sorry, maybe you misunderstood what i was getting at with this topic. i'm not suggesting we hire him, i just thought it was a interesting name to kick around, more fun than people we've never heard of and more realistic than leach or fran.

he'd be our isaiah thomas, he could defer his coaching salary and bring in top national recruits...probably could have got dez. ;)

Let's seee, we fire a high school coach to hire a coach that is currently coaching middle schoolers on his AAU team. But, hey, he couls always double as an assistant Women's basketball coach, not to mention he could lead the baseball program once it gets going. :rolleyes:

• Eye Roll 1

Not until they beat Texas.

Well, he probably has more money than any coach we could hire, so we could get him cheap. He would be a Mack Brown CEO type with the Xs and Os going to his coordinators. He has college coaching experience.

And the number one reason I like Joe Moglia is his CEO experience. He understands that the bottom line matters above all else. The bottom line here is wins. We won't have to worry about a coach who is overly loyal to his assistants. He would be our football program's own Donald Trump. Hey Todd Ford, YOU'RE FIRED!

I heard a rumor yesterday and although I think it has a 0% chance of happening I thought it was an interesting candidate and a fun name to kick around. So, without getting into the probability of it happening and just focusing on whether or not you think it would be good for the football program (ie, ticket sales, recognition, W's...)what do you think about....wait for it.... "Prime Time"? Yep, Deion Sanders. He is a huge name and would bring a lot of attention to the school/program, but I also think he brings quite a few cons as well.

Would you be happy with a hire like this? Or would you rather hire some OC/DC that might be the next big thing?

Then you'd know it was time to shoot RV.

We should only hire him if he is going to send us daily text messages to inspire us all and get involved in all contract negotiations of players after they leave the school.

• 12 years later...

I am so happy @Green Crazy dug this up.    And I very intrigued to read detailed statement of why people like  @meaniegreenie are still dead set against the mere possibility of making him an offer.   An offer that would/should have come after he won consistently at the FCS and brought loads more quality recruits to that level than Jackson State received in the past.   If the majority of people are so dead set against bringing someone so unique for the DFW area to the program, it makes me understand mediocre hires for most of the time we have been back a the FBS level.   

The coaches that have gotten fired from UNT all haven't gotten another head coaching job since being fired.  Omitting Mac due to his age when he was let go, none of the coach fired here had resumes that allowed them to get another shot at a FBS head coaching position. Moreover, only Dickey has gotten a P5 coordinator position which in the hierarchy of jobs is one the few that would be looked at as a higher position than head coach here.

This program needs a culture changing coach not just a good recruiter and X & O strategist.   I thought Mac was that, but he was lacking in the recruiting and player development departments.   So once he changed the attitude and the talent from the old regime left, the cupboard was bare.  Coach Sanders would not have come here without proper support for player development coming with him.  He also would have been great recruiter.  So I don't know what wasn't to like or what value 2022 Seth Littrell offered in comparison except saving money.   But as the saying goes; you usually get what you pay for.  

Edited by Meangreen Fight
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Meangreen Fight said:

I am so happy @Green Crazy dug this up.    And I very intrigued to read detailed statement of why people like  @meaniegreenie are still dead set against the mere possibility of making him an offer.   An offer that would/should have come after he won consistently at the FCS and brought loads more quality recruits to that level than Jackson State received in the past.   If the majority of people are so dead set against bringing someone so unique for the DFW area to the program, it makes me understand mediocre hires for most of the time we have been back a the FBS level.   

The coaches that have gotten fired from UNT all haven't gotten another head coaching job since being fired.  Omitting Mac due to his age when he was let go, none of the coach fired here had resumes that allowed them to get another shot at a FBS coaching position. Moreover only Dickey has gotten a P5 coordinator position which in the hierarchy of jobs is one the few that would be looked at as a higher position than head coach here.

This program needs a culture changing coach not just a good recruiter and X & O strategist.   I thought Mac was that, but he was lacking in the recruiting and player development departments.   So once he changed the attitude and the talent from the old regime left, the cupboard was bare.  Coach Sanders would not have come here without proper support for player development coming with him.  He also would have been great recruiter.  So I don't know what wasn't to like or what value 2022 Seth Littrell offered in comparison except saving money.   But as the saying goes; you usually get what you pay for.  

Truth

Sanders has put Colorado in the top 25, the local shops have sold out of shirts, the game against Nebraska is sold out with tickets going up as much as $500 and hotels have sold out. 

Edited by Big Z
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

1 hour ago, Meangreen Fight said:

The coaches that have gotten fired from UNT all haven't gotten another head coaching job since being fired.  Omitting Mac due to his age when he was let go, none of the coach fired here had resumes that allowed them to get another shot at a FBS head coaching position. Moreover, only Dickey has gotten a P5 coordinator position which in the hierarchy of jobs is one the few that would be looked at as a higher position than head coach here.

I'll stay consistent with what I've always said.  I don't care to watch semi-pro football.  Once it gets to that point (and we're pretty close now), I'll probably be done with CFB.

Also, my opinion as to whether we hire Sanders or not has exactly the same affect on who gets hired as does my waving two chicken bones around in a circle under a full moon while singing Free Bird.

@Udomann said it pretty well yesterday in this post:

Edited by meaniegreenie
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, meaniegreenie said:

I'll stay consistent with what I've always said.  I don't care to watch semi-pro football.  Once it gets to that point (and we're pretty close now), I'll probably be done with CFB.

Also, my opinion as to whether we hire Sanders or not has exactly the same affect on who gets hired as does my waving two chicken bones around in a circle under a full moon while singing Free Bird.

@Udomann said it pretty well yesterday in this post:

The last time the players we could recruit here were good enough was when Hayden Fry was here.  The consistent top 25 in CFB has been playing semi-pro for over 40 years.   You think SMU was one the few paying players in the early 80s and before?  Go ask coach Switzer off the record.  I will tell any fan of FCS school from 1978 till 2023 that if you aren't interested in "semi-pro" football you don't want your team jumping up to FBS unless you like the 'wholesome fun' of watching a lot of nice loyal guys representing your school getting the snot kicked out them 8 games out of 10. 

If that is the case, you really aren't doing yourself any favors spending time concerned about UNT football.  Because FBS will be a league without UNT participation or leadership will get on board with the new model in a big way.  Heck in the old model we weren't going to do anything beyond winning a very weak Sun Belt Conference.

Edited by Mike Jackson