Does North Texas Change Its Shade Of Green & Tweak

PlummMeanGreen

The Houston Colt .45's became the Astros when they moved to the Astrodome in 1965. (Still haven't won a World Series with either name).

Of course, we are not going to change our complete mascot name, but what are your own suggestions for a "new look" as we close down Fouts Field this November 27'th and then get ready to move to our new football palace?

Do we change unis'? Change to another shade of green? Have something different put on our helmets?

Changing over to a new stadium is an athletic marketing persons dream (as will it be for our recruiters) so.......

What do we leave behind at Fouts Field that just will not fit into the new scheme of things at our New Stadium At The Mean Green Village?

NOTE: And please for the sake of seriousness--no names or personalities. :rolleyes:

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Plumm, aren't we like Verizon? Can't we update or change colors every so often, just like with our phones. If so, then we are probably due for a change next year. You know it is hard to find a cap and shirt with the same shade of green. Nobody seems to have the right one.

But seriously, you might be onto something here.

How often do the pros change their complete unis' to market new sales to their respective markets? I think we have to make changes no matter who our HFC is next Fall. We still make a percentage from Collegiate Licensing, correct?

Also, wouldn't hurt to have all the sports merchandisers of all the retail places in DFW who choose not place UNT stuff in Metroplex stores have a super seat in one of our club suites at our stadium debut with Mean Joe Greene physically threatening each of them :lol: if they don't start putting Mean Green items in all their DFW stores, ie, Lids (pathetic UNT caps), Walmart, Kohls, Sears, Sports Authority, etc....

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Plumm, aren't we like Verizon? Can't we update or change colors every so often, just like with our phones. If so, then we are probably due for a change next year. You know it is hard to find a cap and shirt with the same shade of green. Nobody seems to have the right one.

But seriously, you might be onto something here.

Are you advocating a new every two branding strategy?

Maybe change the helmet a bit, I'd lke to see UNT with the SOW on it. I didn't like it at first, but I love our current green. It looks like sh!t for your average fan in the stands to wear, but it looks great on the field.

Partially agree, mdh0192, because our student section for the Rice Owls game at Fouts looked fantastic with many of them wearing that brighter shade of green but........it probably doesn't look as good on adults.

But man O' man! Didn't we have a great UNT student turnout 2 weeks ago? Only wish we could have scored 2 extra points to beat Rice and give those students something to talk about.

GMG!

As much as I hate NT almost constantly changing the shade of green, I really don't like the current one. I vote go back to the darker green before Dodge. I also agree with most, go with the current eagle logo on a green helmet. Not much for uniform talk but anything is better than another coach thread.

+1 on all points!

As much as I hate NT almost constantly changing the shade of green, I really don't like the current one. I vote go back to the darker green before Dodge. I also agree with most, go with the current eagle logo on a green helmet. Not much for uniform talk but anything is better than another coach thread.

Perfect...+1

I am not a fan of the current color by no means and I do like the darker greens much much better.

Hell I agree with your whole post.

This is what I would do.

1. I dont mind the current green...it's kinda different.

2. I would take out "North Texas" from the helmet and put our logo on there. It is a classic look that is identifiable if we stick with it and start winning! One of my favorite helmets is the UT one...just has the orange longhorn on it...classic if you ask me.

3. I would go back to our official name being the North Texas Eagles and having Mean Green as common nickname to everybody.

4. Lastly, I would get a third uniform utilizing the black jersey and the kelly green we have. I think they would look dynamite.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This is what I would do.

1. I dont mind the current green...it's kinda different.

2. I would take out "North Texas" from the helmet and put our logo on there. It is a classic look that is identifiable if we stick with it and start winning! One of my favorite helmets is the UT one...just has the orange longhorn on it...classic if you ask me.

3. I would go back to our official name being the North Texas Eagles and having Mean Green as common nickname to everybody.

4. Lastly, I would get a third uniform utilizing the black jersey and the kelly green we have. I think they would look dynamite.

You do realize that there is no way the school is going "back" to Eagles. There are something like 57 other colleges (all at different levels of play) using the eagle as a team name/mascot. Mean Green is unique to North Texas and was officially changed to the team name 10 years ago. That is not going to ever change - which means that we will not be putting any eagles on any helmets because that is out mascot, not our team name. Alabama doesn't have an elephant on their helmet... Tulane doesn't have a pelican on their's. Mean Green will not have an eagle on our uniforms unless RV has just been misquoted in every article that I have ever read. Basically, we have spent ten years building up the new name of Mean Green from eagles, I doubt that he will want to try and go back to the old one now. Just my opinion. I also think that everyone needs to look at all of the branding that NT did - that is what we are limited to. We can't use another color and we can't just put whatever we want on the helmets. If we could, we would still have the script. We are stuck with what the branding committee came up with behind closed doors. Personally, I have grown fond of the new green in some ways but I really miss the older, darker green. To me it was much "meaner"...

It's a little blurry, but look at this student section greatness.

57972_433615904170_506164170_4821554_6626204_n.jpg

Our great UNT student body! :thumbsup:...and this photo only shows half the student section (which was full).

So....... who wants to talk about student apathy at UNT? We have more student support than any university in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. Give those students (and all those who graduated before them) a winner and North Texas goes over the top in attendance. In over 5 losing seasons we already have shown our base has broadened at the turnstiles.

I'm a fan of dark green, but if these students were wearing it in this photo it would be too dark & would not be as photogenic as in the above photo or...........on future televised football games.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Mean Green will not have an eagle on our uniforms unless RV has just been misquoted in every article that I have ever read.

Stebo, I know you are the defender of the "Mean Green" nickname, but we are still and will always be the Eagles. Plus, the new eagle logo is on every uniform including the current one of the football team with it located on the pants and the soles of the shoes. All RV has done is emphasize the nickname, not eliminate the mascot.

• Upvote 1

You do realize that there is no way the school is going "back" to Eagles. There are something like 57 other colleges (all at different levels of play) using the eagle as a team name/mascot. Mean Green is unique to North Texas and was officially changed to the team name 10 years ago. That is not going to ever change - which means that we will not be putting any eagles on any helmets because that is out mascot, not our team name. Alabama doesn't have an elephant on their helmet... Tulane doesn't have a pelican on their's. Mean Green will not have an eagle on our uniforms unless RV has just been misquoted in every article that I have ever read. Basically, we have spent ten years building up the new name of Mean Green from eagles, I doubt that he will want to try and go back to the old one now. Just my opinion. I also think that everyone needs to look at all of the branding that NT did - that is what we are limited to. We can't use another color and we can't just put whatever we want on the helmets. If we could, we would still have the script. We are stuck with what the branding committee came up with behind closed doors. Personally, I have grown fond of the new green in some ways but I really miss the older, darker green. To me it was much "meaner"...

I know that the reality is we will never go back to the Eagles...I guess I had always identified with NT as the Eagles when I was growing up but I know we won't go back to Eagles. I think Eagle logo on our helmet is a possibility at some point. I don't know why RV is in love with the North Texas on the helmet...I think the Eagle on the helmet is great for branding and people identifying what the helmet is rather than reading North Texas.