A Realignment Nightmare:

JayDub

I would like to see the formation of a "New Southwest Conference" with regional rivals. We'll just cherry pick schools from around here that most of us would love to see UNT play (like SMU,TCU,UH,UTEP,Tulsa,Baylor,TWU), and that way we can cut down on travel costs, plus build intrastate rivalries!

Thoughts?

New? Was there an old Southwest Conference? If so, did we ever have a chance to get invited to it? Or were we blocked by some nefarious, well-groomed nemesis? That would be like a total conspiracy. At least the refs wouldn't screw us over in big games against these opponents with BS calls/BS lack of calls.

inception-top_288x288.jpg

When I woke up today, I thought... "I hope I get to read what some dude with a bleacher report account has to say about hypothetical conference realignment".

At least... I think I woke up today and thought that.

Also: Inception = Minority Report masquerading as 2001: A Space Odyssey. Discuss.

JayDub, a sincere thank for posting this very informative and thought-proving thread.

Amazing, Villeunova (sp?) was a school we once took a couple of players when they dropped football back in the early 80's and now they may get a Big East invite? What the hell is fair in any of this, folks! :no:

I felt UNT should have made its move 25 years ago (as in a new D1 stadium) but my gold mine still hadn't panned out at that time, either. Like UH's plans seen on another thread, many of us also felt our initial stadium size should probably have been closer to 40K. (You wonder if we can build the "beaut" we have going up now that there would have to be some more revenue for just 5-10,000 more seats? I think stadium size will come into play eventually and sure we can expand in the sweet by and by but at UNT in the past, the sweet by and by seems to have always gone the way of.......bye! bye!

IMHO, you cannot blame any of today's UNT staff from top to bottom for our present predicament and present athletic conference we reside; in fact, you have to go way back to put the finger on anyone if one wants to do that but for the moment that is not even important and is a time-waster.

BUT..........we should all be very glad we have Chuck Neinas (along with all his friends in high places) advising us and hopefully he will get an extension to his contract at UNT. I like the very aggressive AD Rick Villerreal during such times and our interim president of whom you all say is a keeper, too, as far as progressing our athletic program.

But my answer to every bit of this for now is: KingDL1 aka Tony, bring even more beer tomorrow than previously planned. Tell me how much I need to bring and we'll all have 1 more than we probably should have as we discuss all the "woulda-coulda's" of our alma mater. :thumbsup:

On the other hand: I think UNT does have a bright future no matter whats going on because one day our humongous numbers will also come into play once we figure out of way of getting everyone from the UNT community on the same page at one time.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

nostradamus.jpg

You owe me a keyboard...and a new pair of underwear, as I may have just pissed myself laughing. I love that damn pic.

JayDub, a sincere thank for posting this very informative and thought-proving thread.

Glad I could screw with everyone, today. :)

I think it was more Blade Runner masquerading as La Jetée.

Do not challenge this man when it comes to movies...er, I mean, film.

Edited by JayDub

When I woke up today, I thought... "I hope I get to read what some dude with a bleacher report account has to say about hypothetical conference realignment".

At least... I think I woke up today and thought that.

Also: Inception = Minority Report masquerading as 2001: A Space Odyssey. Discuss.

I like all three movies that you listed.

Who is this 'Tobi' character??

I think the scariest scenario he came up with was TCU leaving the MWC to rejoin CUSA. That has the potential to pretty much bury us. Granted, LaTech would also permanently be stuck in either the WAC or SunBelt in that scenario. I like the idea of aligning with LaTech, ULL and Ark. St (to a lesser extent). If we ended up in a conference with Texas St. it would not be the end of the world and would probably lead to a decent rivalry. I do not like UTSA near as much as Texas St....just a different kind of campus and school. I'd stay away from them as much as possible.

Either way, what he outlines would get us out of traveling to FIU and FAU....but then has us traveling to Idaho, Utah St, and Hawaii. I'm not sure there is a good trade off either way. I'd much rather figure out a way to lure LaTech back to the Sunbelt and then add a Texas St or NMSU, then create the divisions in the Sun Belt that he covets in his WAC example. The fact is that there is far better recruiting to be had (for UNT) in the current Sun Belt than this new WAC. We are pulling good players from Texas over and into the deep south. I just can't see New Mexico, Utah, and Idaho giving us any advantage from that standpoint. We may get a few players every year from California, but it'd be the same as us getting recruits from Florida.

Edited by TIgreen01