D1 Oc

jimbob

UNT lost how many games by a TD or less last year? The big reasons were that UNT had an unsophisticated offense and a weak defense. DeLoach has made some good progress with the D because of an upgrade in personnel. Canales, on the other hand has installed a real D1 offense with a game plan. Coupled with the already decent personnel on O UNT should score often against those same teams that beat them last year. Additionally, when UNT took the field last year they didn't play football in the first half of many of the games. I believe that Canales is not about to let that happen again.

All in all UNT should win 6-8 games this year, possibly more because of the combination of defensive improvement and the addition of Canales. We're about to see how a good D1 OC affects a team that has talent and wants to win. That's my opinion.

• Upvote 1

Canales is a huge upgrade from what we've seen at that coaching spot for the last 3 seasons. Let's hope his impact is as big as many people appear to think it will be. Hell, he's about to walk on water according to most GMG posters...........

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 1

I'm hoping we've installed a legitimate goal line offense. It was frustrating to need a yard, but still line up in the shotgun for 4 straight plays, or when we finally do go undercenter, we fumble (see Ohio game). I'm looking forward to a better year. As much as I love Mean Green football, it's been tough sledding for the last few years. This year is different. Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 1

Not to be Debbie Downer here, but that OLine we depend on is now being coached by a guy who has all of about a month on the job. Maybe that doesn't matter, but I have to believe that it will have some impact, especially early in the year. Maybe Dunbar is so good that he doesn't need the OLine to be great, but I am actually expecting that with Rodge out as QB (rightfully so), his running stats could very well drop. This doesn't even talk about the issue of Tune not being exactly the most mobile QB. I think that this is the biggest key to Chico either being a first-year success as the OC or looking for a job at the end of the year with the rest of the staff.

My biggest concerns are 1.) Can the defense actually put any pressure on the QB? 2.) Can we even kick an Extra Point with any kind of success, much less a 30+yard FG?, 3.) How does the OLine perform?

Those questions make me feel more confident in believing that 4-5 wins is probably more accurate this year. The amazing part of that equation is that 5 wins would equal the last three years COMBINED!!

My biggest two concerns going into the season are:

1) (by a wide margin) the entire defense. I think it is time for Coach DeLoach to show what he is capable of doing with the Mean Green. The defense has been responsible for much of the problems the Mean green has encountered in the last couple of years. I am hopeful that we will all see a "new and improved D" this season. Will we? I think, yes, absolutely.

2) The kicking game. From what i have seen and heard, we could be in for another bumpy ride here, but, as the season progresses I expect to see this area of the game improve dramatically.

Man, it's going to be fun to be a member of the Mean Green Nation this year! Let's get it on! GO MEAN GREEN!

It's not just the game plan that should make a difference. What I think the key is going to be is Canales seeing and understanding what the opposing defenses are doing during the game and being able to tweak said game plan on the fly.

Look, as good a high school coach as Todd Ford might have been, trying to figure out how to counter a defensive coordinator on this level is a completely different ball of wax. Very few team can simply "out athlete" an opponent the way many high school teams can.

And, as rare as it is in FBS (I'd say maybe a half dozen team can out athlete the other 114 schools 7 times out of 10), we certainly were not a school with the athletes to do it.

The nightmare of Game One versus OU remains the example. Their defense snuffed out everything we did, and yet we kept doing it. To the ridiculous point where we kept throwing the ball out of the end zone in the fourth quarter and some third string career bench-rider at OU got a safety.

My other prime example is the option in the end zone at Troy last year that resulted in a safety. Just ridiculous stuff like that. No other offensive coordinator in their right mind would have called that play.

• Upvote 1

Not to be Debbie Downer here, but that OLine we depend on is now being coached by a guy who has all of about a month on the job. Maybe that doesn't matter, but I have to believe that it will have some impact, especially early in the year. Maybe Dunbar is so good that he doesn't need the OLine to be great, but I am actually expecting that with Rodge out as QB (rightfully so), his running stats could very well drop. This doesn't even talk about the issue of Tune not being exactly the most mobile QB. I think that this is the biggest key to Chico either being a first-year success as the OC or looking for a job at the end of the year with the rest of the staff.

My biggest concerns are 1.) Can the defense actually put any pressure on the QB? 2.) Can we even kick an Extra Point with any kind of success, much less a 30+yard FG?, 3.) How does the OLine perform?

Those questions make me feel more confident in believing that 4-5 wins is probably more accurate this year. The amazing part of that equation is that 5 wins would equal the last three years COMBINED!!

I wouldn't sweat this....yes our opponent's defense will be looking out for Dunbar (esp Clemson and Rice) but after a few games I believe that our now more diversified offensive threat will reveal a far larger bag of tricks. Defenses will have to adjust for covering scenarios that didn't exist in large numbers last year (i.e. more usage of WR and TE). This will cause them to have to focus on this threat as well. I would be shocked if we didn't run the option more than you think...though not the fastest guy in the world he has gained some weight since last year and I expect that Tune running would throw everyone for a unanticipated shock.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I wouldn't sweat this....yes our opponent's defense will be looking out for Dunbar (esp Clemson and Rice) but after a few games I believe that our now more diversified offensive threat will reveal a far larger bag of tricks. Defenses will have to adjust for covering scenarios that didn't exist in large numbers last year (i.e. more usage of WR and TE). This will cause them to have to focus on this threat as well. I would be shocked if we didn't run the option more than you think...though not the fastest guy in the world he has gained some weight since last year and I expect that Tune running would throw everyone for a unanticipated shock.

I guess my worry about the OLine is what makes me "sweat" this, but if the OLine plays well, then I think you are exactly right.

I guess my worry about the OLine is what makes me "sweat" this, but if the OLine plays well, then I think you are exactly right.

It's interesting. Our O-Line gave up very few sacks last season. At the same time I saw Riley run for his life several times as well as buy a little time by making some shifty moves. So was it the line that didn't give up sacks or our QB who didn't take them? On the opposite side of the coin Tune was never sacked against Alabama - Our O-Line that good or Tune that smart in getting rid of the ball?

The answer is probably in the middle - Our O-Line is good. Are they great? The season will tell. I do find it interesting that Canales said 3 of our O-Line could have played for him at USF. I wonder which 3.

I think that we need to think about the versatility that Canales is installing into this offense. The wildcat formation could b deadly with Riley taking the snap. Tyler Stradford is here and almost immediately is in the conversation as we look for the next Johnny Quinn or Fitz. Our o-line whether overrated, which I doubt, or as good as advertised has another year together and understands how to play together. I feel very confident that with Canales providing the leadership and creativity this unit is going to thrive!!!

Our issues come In with the defense. Deloach needs to prove something his year. I know that he already did in 2003 but what did our top ten defense net coach Deloach after that? A job as a position coach at UCLA. Why? No doubt he is a good coordinator he has shown that here before. It is time for him to show us again because this is, or at least should be a what have you done for me lately business. With 9+ returning starters and all these juco guys he should be able to do that.

Our season rides on our defense plain and simple. Our offense can be the best in the NCAA but if we give up 35+ a game it won't matter.

My.02

I think that we need to think about the versatility that Canales is installing into this offense. The wildcat formation could b deadly with Riley taking the snap. Tyler Stradford is here and almost immediately is in the conversation as we look for the next Johnny Quinn or Fitz. Our o-line whether overrated, which I doubt, or as good as advertised has another year together and understands how to play together. I feel very confident that with Canales providing the leadership and creativity this unit is going to thrive!!!

Our issues come In with the defense. Deloach needs to prove something his year. I know that he already did in 2003 but what did our top ten defense net coach Deloach after that? A job as a position coach at UCLA. Why? No doubt he is a good coordinator he has shown that here before. It is time for him to show us again because this is, or at least should be a what have you done for me lately business. With 9+ returning starters and all these juco guys he should be able to do that.

Our season rides on our defense plain and simple. Our offense can be the best in the NCAA but if we give up 35+ a game it won't matter.

My.02

This wildcat formation intrigues me. They had to have some exotics in their play book with Riley Dodge around as it is.

GMG!