Texas St. Passing Us By?

UNT90

I know stadiums aren't the be-all end-all of college athletics (see: Nevada-Reno), but that said, I had the chance to drive by the new Mansfield High School stadium and the recently renovated Texas St stadium on a recent road trip. Just about the same. Seriously.

While Texas St. deos have very nice press box facilities, it is Tiny. Yes, with a capital T. The student side is about a quarter of the size of the student side at Fouts. The alum side is not much bigger. Looked like it could hold 14 or 15k. Zero parking facilities.

And this is after recent renovations. Think about that the next time you really thing they are passing us by. Think about that the next time you consider existing in the same conference with them.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

We've got two lakes and a train across 35W, so screw TSU-SM.

Hey, just down the road 20 miles, in downtown Pilot Point, They'll be having Bonnie and Clyde Days the weekend of October 9, with activities such as "dressing like they did during the Great Depression (ragged?). You think San Marcos has anything remotely like that? So suck it, Bobcats! Here's the link:

Big doings on the square in Pilot Point

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

But TSU does have Mamacita's next to the stadium which is just awesome. Aquarena Springs was cool back when they had mermaids and diving pigs (conservation types ruin everything)

Again, big freakin' deal. We've got New York Sub and the Denia neighorhood. Touche

• Upvote 1

At this point I don't worry about Texas State because we need to worry about ourselves before worrying about FCS schools. Although I do think TSU would make for a great rivalry. With the way the conference realignment is going TSU won't be a part of any plans so at this point we are in the drivers seat and we need to worry about ourselves before anybody else in the FCS.

• Upvote 2

While Texas St. deos have very nice press box facilities, it is Tiny. Yes, with a capital T. The student side is about a quarter of the size of the student side at Fouts. The alum side is not much bigger. Looked like it could hold 14 or 15k. Think about that the next time you really thing they are passing us by. Think about that the next time you consider existing in the same conference with them.

Thanks for the visit. FYI the North Endzone (Aquarina side) is in the final stages to begin construction. AD says it could bring our stadium to 31K seats by the 2011 season. If I read correctly that will be larger than your new Stadium. Also we have additional plans that would ultimately bring he stadium to 45k seating.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

Thanks for the visit. FYI the North Endzone (Aquarina side) is in the final stages to begin construction. AD says it could bring our stadium to 31K seats by the 2011 season. If I read correctly that will be larger than your new Stadium. Also we have additional plans that would ultimately bring he stadium to 45k seating.

wacker-field-750x300.jpg

VS

render-18f.jpg

Even if you add those seats it still won't compare to this!

• Upvote 1

TXST_CAT, your opinions are always welcome. Defending your measley stadium, however many it can hold, against verbal attack on our message board is fine. I think the finished products will speak for themselves. Just don't delude yourself into believing it will be superior to what is going up in Denton. (+1 for the cajones to get on here and insinuate that though!)

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

Welcome to the board but your numbers simply aren't true. The press box renovations only added 450 seats to a stadium that seats just over 15K. According to TxSt documents for "The Drive", the north end expansion will add approx 8200 seats and along with removeing the track and adding seats will bring capacity to 24,000. There is NO WAY you'll be at 31,000 by 2011. The only way Wacker gets to over 30k is to add the 3rd level deck on the east side and complete the expansion on the south ends to the athletic center.

Welcome to the board but your numbers simply aren't true. The press box renovations only added 450 seats to a stadium that seats just over 15K. According to TxSt documents for "The Drive", the north end expansion will add approx 8200 seats and along with removeing the track and adding seats will bring capacity to 24,000. There is NO WAY you'll be at 31,000 by 2011. The only way Wacker gets to over 30k is to add the 3rd level deck on the east side and complete the expansion on the south ends to the athletic center.

Sure, that may be true if you're talking about seats... But what about CAPACITY?

• Downvote 1

What's the point in knocking TSU-SM down. Their conceptual drawings are great and I really like their current endzone facility. Just a couple of years ago we were touting our conceptual drawings at anyone that would listen. I think they will have a more difficult time moving their project forward than we have, but I wish them well in their efforts.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

What's the point in knocking TSU-SM down. Their conceptual drawings are great and I really like their current endzone facility. Just a couple of years ago we were touting our conceptual drawings at anyone that would listen. I think they will have a more difficult time moving their project forward than we have, but I wish them well in their efforts.

Agree. And +1.

I love that once we start digging a hole, we're suddenly pricks to everyone else under the sun.

"Look at their track! It's almost as destructive to distance and ambiance as the one in the stadium we still play in..."

Edited by TheTastyGreek
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

OK, I know you guys don't follow TXST but I do. From the reports coming out of the ADs office are as follows.

1st New Track Stadium is breaking ground this Fall as in Our first game will be the Ground Breaking.

2nd As soon as the season is over Bull Dozers are moving into Bobcat Stadium to remove the track and begin adding what sounds like it will be A Two Tier End zone complex that will "Bowl" our North End zone ( side that says TEXAS STATE in the building ) as seen in the picture. It will take approx 1 yr to complete. Engineers are estimating this could add around 15K seats to Bobcat Stadium. Final renderings should be available soon.

After that project is complete we are looking to add to our East Side (Visitor General Admission) to match the West Side Grand Stands.

Last Part to my knowledge is the "bowling" in the South End zone. (End Zone Complex That is seen at the top of the picture.

Also didn't say ours was better just going to be about same size maybe more seating. I am aware yours can be expanded as is ours. Final capacity could be some where around 45-50K. I like the "classic" look our stadium will have. Similar to the Ball Park at Arlington.

Edited by TXST_CAT

We've got two lakes and a train across 35W, so screw TSU-SM.

Confused..... We're having fun here no?

Edited by MGFFL
  • Upvote 1

OK, I know you guys don't follow TXST but I do. From the reports coming out of the ADs office are as follows.

1st New Track Stadium is breaking ground this Fall as in Our first game will be the Ground Breaking.

2nd As soon as the season is over Bull Dozers are moving into Bobcat Stadium to remove the track and begin adding what sounds like it will be A Two Tier End zone complex that will "Bowl" our North End zone ( side that says TEXAS STATE in the building ) as seen in the picture. It will take approx 1 yr to complete. Engineers are estimating this could add around 15K seats to Bobcat Stadium. Final renderings should be available soon.

After that project is complete we are looking to add to our East Side (Visitor General Admission) to match the West Side Grand Stands.

Last Part to my knowledge is the "bowling" in the South End zone. (End Zone Complex That is seen at the top of the picture.

Also didn't say ours was better just going to be about same size maybe more seating. I am aware yours can be expanded as is ours. Final capacity could be some where around 45-50K. I like the "classic" look our stadium will have. Similar to the Ball Park at Arlington.

My post wasn't meant as a shot at Texas St., it was more to point out to some on here (and maybe you, if you feel this way) that Texas St. is light years behind where UNT is at this point. Maybe the new endzone construction will add 15,000 seats. I don't see that as a positive. Your stadium's capacity now is just over 15K, so you are essentially adding 15K additional end zone seats? We did that with Fouts 18 years ago. Didn't make sense then, and it shouldn't to Texas St. It would be smarter to extend your existing sideline stands from the 10 yard line through the end zone on each side of the field. Seriously, right now your stadium has a hard time comparing to the Mansfield ISD Stadium (which is rather nice, just FYI).

Curious as to how many times you guys sold out the stadium last year. Curious as to where you plan to park 31K fans, as there are NO lots anywhere around your stadium.

I do wish you guys the best, but I'd prefer to keep you where you belong, which is very distant in our rearview mirror.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1