San Jose State Fan Here

babigos

There's been a lot of talk on the WAC boards that UNT could get an invite to the WAC. If invited would UNT accept? How do most fans feel about the WAC or do you guys aspire to be in CUSA?

We also have a poll on our board about possible WAC membership.

http://spartanblitz.com/index.php?/topic/138-who-should-the-wac-add-to-replace-boise-state/

I think we're about 50/50 as a fan base(count me in the "no" half) on accepting a WAC invite. No clue what the admin feels about this.

We definitely would rather be in CUSA over the WAC. I think that would be more of a 95% type of deal.

Edited by CMJ

I'm torn between the WAC and the Belt. Without Boise, the WAC is not a better conference than the Belt, at least not by a significant margin, and I'm not crazy about playing teams in the Pacific time zone. But the perception of the WAC is better than the Belt, and that's worth something. C-USA would be ideal for North Texas.

I really don't know if we would accept an invitation to the WAC. We turned it down before, but some things have changed since then. We might hold out if we thought a C-USA invite might be coming, but that bit us before.

Welcome to the board, babigos.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

I wouldn't want to play all those pacific time zone games, but in the end its going to come down to money.

Can the school make more money in the WAC than in the Belt? Last time time the school asked itself this question the answer was no, maybe the answer has changed?

I would love it if the WAC/SBC/CUSA would get together and swap teams to make the most regionally based conferences possible, but I don't see that happening.

On paper, statistics show the SBC is a stronger conference. However, perception is what's killing the whole deal. Perception is reality to the general public, unfortunately. The WAC is looked upon as a "stronger" conference. If NT can break even, I think the WAC should be seriously considered. With all the conference movement publicity, it's a nice chance for NT to get into the national spotlight.

Edited by Got5onIt

Most of our fans would like to be in Conference USA but as long as SMU is in that league, we will not get in. That leaves us the choice of a conference that stretches way to the east (Sun Belt) or a conference that stretches way to the west (WAC). To me, going to the east is a better choice.

As Mean Green 93-98 said the perception of the WAC is better than the Belt. Everyone, excluding Sun Belt fans, would hear the news and see it as a move up for North Texas. That's a fact.

Random, none UNT, no donating fan perception is an argument? If the majority of random, none UNT, no donating fans perceived us to be a FCS/1AA school is that what we should do?

Look, we aren't UT, what there random people think of us should matter jack all to us. Only thing we should worry about is what puts more dollars in the pot.

The last time we looked at this, the WAC would make us less, since their TV contract is about to be renegotiated, and not in their favor, I don't see how that has changed.

Most of our fans would like to be in Conference USA but as long as SMU is in that league, we will not get in. That leaves us the choice of a conference that stretches way to the east (Sun Belt) or a conference that stretches way to the west (WAC). To me, going to the east is a better choice.

Huff, I hope the recent machinations of the top AQ school has cause a shift in people minds. I hope that school now realize they are a heartbeat from being cut off, that the big school don't even care about thier own conference mates, much less us, and that we have strength in numbers. I hope the non AQ conferences get together and structure themselves in the most geographical way.

There are more non AQ and non top tier AQ school than there are Texas'. Who are those tops schools going to play if we won't? We have the numerical advantage, I hope this shocks us into using it.

As Mean Green 93-98 said the perception of the WAC is better than the Belt. Everyone, excluding Sun Belt fans, would hear the news and see it as a move up for North Texas. That's a fact.

Has anyone looked to see who is actually in the WAC? Idaho, NMSU, Utah State, Fresno State, Nevada, La Tech, Hawaii, and San Jose State. I am not sure who would see this as a move up, I think more would view NT joining the WAC has desperate. Yes, the WAC has a lot more history and is better known than the Belt but, a very slight improvement in perception among the casual college football fan certainly would not offset the additional costs and lost of a much more regional conference. I like playing NMSU in BB, but certainly don't view them as a big rival. NT has much more history with ULM, ASU and ULL than La Tech. The rest of the WAC is just to far, and I had much rather play teams in Alabama and Florida than the West Coast.

• Upvote 2

No to the WAC. Not enough regional teams and not interested in late West Coast games that receive little to no local media coverage on the Saturday evening news or the Sunday morning paper. What bowls does the WAC still have? Boise will take the H-Bowl with them to the MWC, the Hawaii Bowl takes Hawaii and even if we qualified, how many fans can afford that trip during the holidays? What's the other bowl, the New Mexico Bowl? Sorry, but I put this below the appeal of New Orleans. The WAC is a poor fit for NT.

Edited by UNTLifer

Because we're North Texas, not Texas, the travel budget would be an issue. I think most people here probably favor a move to the C-USA,if possible, because they have many regional schools.

Personally, I'd like to see the Sun Belt and C-USA merge, but the C-USA won't have it. And, I'm sure the people that work for the Sun Belt don't want to lose their jobs and all.

By the way, I visited San Jose back in 1987. We were in Norcal and one of my sister's college roomates lived near there. We went to the David Bowie concert there at Spartan Stadium. Nice place to visit, San Jose. We had nice time out there.

Perception is NOT reality when it comes time to write checks for travel budgets. Perception is not reality when the Saturday night local TV newscasts air at 10 Central, 8 Pacific and the Sunday local newscasts have no room because of the Cowboys coverage. Perception is not reality when the Honlulu newspaper runs a story headlined "Will the last WAC team please turn out the lights."

Certainly no to the WAC for NT alone. Maybe with five other schools, but why would five other move to a burning oil platform?

Welcome to the board. Count me in the hell no to the WAC pile. Our program nearly died when we were in the Big West Conference and its nearly the same teams. No to mention that with Boise gone, the WAC is not a step up.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There's been a lot of talk on the WAC boards that UNT could get an invite to the WAC. If invited would UNT accept? How do most fans feel about the WAC or do you guys aspire to be in CUSA?

We also have a poll on our board about possible WAC membership.

http://spartanblitz.com/index.php?/topic/138-who-should-the-wac-add-to-replace-boise-state/

I would like to know your opinion about playing in the WAC (strength of the conference, what other students/alumni think of the conference opponents, etc).

I will also say that I am pro WAC over the Belt any day, but I am pro CUSA over the WAC any day.

Edited by Daddy Dumpsalot

I would love it if the WAC/SBC/CUSA would get together and swap teams to make the most regionally based conferences possible, but I don't see that happening.

I would love it if these three conferences could merge into two super conferences and do it now, while the AQ schools are still bickering with each other. That would really steal the wind out from their sails.

Counting South Alabama, the SBC will have 10 schools, the WAC now has 8 and CUSA currently has 12, for a grand total of 30 schools. Either keep all these schools and add two more for 32 or drop two and have 28 - two 16-team conferences or two 14-team conferences. Separately, these schools have limited negotiating power with the TV networks but, collectively, it could be very appealing. While 32 schools is far too many for each school to play each other in a given season, exclusive scheduling between the conferences could be arranged so that a school would play one or two schools from the other conference every season.

If the 32-team option was chosen, you'd have two 16-team conferences and four 8-team divisions or you could create a 32-team mega conference with the same format. In a 12-game season, each team would play all 7 teams in their division and two teams from one of the other three divisions. The remaining 3 games would allow schools to either schedule one team from the other conference (in a two conference format) and two teams of their choice (AQ or FCS) or two teams from the other conference and one team of their choice.

The 28-team option would create two 14-team conferences and four 7-team divisions or a 28-team mega conference. You'd have to eliminate two schools for this option, but it would be very similar to the 32-team option - either two conferences with scheduling between the two conferences or just break it into a four division conference. In a 12-game season, each team would play all 6 teams in their division and four teams from one of the other three divisions. The remaining 3 games could be scheduled against AQ schools to increase strength of schedule.

This really isn't all that different from how the NFL works. It's obvious none of the WAC/CUSA/SBC schools individually carry the same the same weight or command the same respect as the "big-time" programs but there is strength in numbers. As I've repeatedly mentioned, I don't think the TV gold mine is going to last much longer, at least not as we know it today. However, that seems to be the dominant motivation factor for conference realignment today. While 32 schools is a lot to divvy the money amongst, a 32-school conference TV network is going to appeal to a LOT more than any one individual school would.

Look, we aren't UT, what there random people think of us should matter jack all to us. Only thing we should worry about is what puts more dollars in the pot.

Unfortunately our entire fan base is fickle random fans that happen to attend UNT and support other "larger" schools. Until we can entice those fans into coming to games and supporting we will always be where we are. The only way to entice them is by either giving them free shirts, a mustang, or putting a product that they know on the field.

Unfortunately our entire fan base are fickle random fans that happen to attend UNT and support other "larger" schools. Until we can entice those fans into coming to games and supporting we will always be where we are. The only way to entice them is by either giving them free shirts, a mustang, or putting a product that they know on the field.

Speak for yourself. Im green through and through. I cheer for a few other schools, but I cheer, support, and am a fan of NT