San Jose State Fan Here

babigos

I think everyone admits that CUSA is the ideal place. That's not the arguement. What we're questioning is whether the WAC is better than the Belt.

Ok, so does entering the WAC give us a better chance at CUSA? I am not sure that we need to go to the WAC and bankrupt ourselves in order to go to CUSA.

Besides, I don't know about you, but I just can't get excited about playing the WAC schools. I just can't convince myself that I need to make a long trip to Moscow, ID or Logan, UT. I would rather go to Miami or Boca Raton if I have to make a long flight to see my team play, just sayin'.

Ok, so does entering the WAC give us a better chance at CUSA? I am not sure that we need to go to the WAC and bankrupt ourselves in order to go to CUSA.

Besides, I don't know about you, but I just can't get excited about playing the WAC schools. I just can't convince myself that I need to make a long trip to Moscow, ID or Logan, UT. I would rather go to Miami or Boca Raton if I have to make a long flight to see my team play, just sayin'.

At the same time don't forget about our current 36K students that are in Denton of which 70% don't want to come to a free home game to watch the product the sun belt is offering. Would attendance improve with a different conference? I think history shows that it does when we play named opponents that our students have heard of. I understand that many on this board would not travel to the away games in the WAC because the distance but: 1) many don't travel as it is for the Belt schools and 2) how we travel is nowhere near as important as adding an additional 3K at home game.

• Downvote 1

At the same time don't forget about our current 36K students that are in Denton of which 70% don't want to come to a free home game to watch the product the sun belt is offering. Would attendance improve with a different conference? I think history shows that it does when we play named opponents that our students have heard of. I understand that many on this board would not travel to the away games in the WAC because the distance but: 1) many don't travel as it is for the Belt schools and 2) how we travel is nowhere near as important as adding an additional 3K at home game.

Why is it so hard to understand that most of the teams that are in the WAC were in the Big West. These "name teams" that many think will draw our students out didnt come out the first time we played them in conference. We will not draw better hosting San Jose St than Florida Atlantic.

Keep in mind, this is not just football. We will have to send all of our athletic teams to Moscow, Idaho. It nearly bankrupt our program the first time. Its not just how few fans will travel there.

Edited by Rudy
  • Upvote 1

Idaho and Utah State weren't big draws when we played them in the belt before, so I am guessing not much has changed. NMSU was a bigger draw, but that was a different time when we were competing for a conference championship. Who are you saying is the big draw? Nevada? SJSU? Hawaii? I am just not seeing the team that is going to magically be a big attendance draw for us. Please explain, all knowing one.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Idaho and Utah State weren't big draws when we played them in the belt before, so I am guessing not much has changed. NMSU was a bigger draw, but that was a different time when we were competing for a conference championship. Who are you saying is the big draw? Nevada? SJSU? Hawaii? I am just not seeing the team that is going to magically be a big attendance draw for us. Please explain, all knowing one.

I would take the 3 you listed over FIU, ARst, and MTSU. But since this is about getting the casual fan into the stadium why dont you walk around campus and ask the students who they would rather us play against.

• Downvote 1

Nevada was also in the Big West...and we never drew well against them either. Much less in fact, than we draw against SBC schools. So you're down to just SJSU and Hawaii. Of those, I would guess perhaps Hawaii might draw better than schools in the Belt, but I doubt it.

A little history. In 1995 we played Oregon State...of the PAC-10 at Fouts. I was at that game, and I bet there were maybe 11K fans there. Doesn't get much bigger of a name than one in a Power League - even if the Beavers were bad at the time.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

Nevada was also in the Big West...and we never drew well against them either. Much less in fact, than we draw against SBC schools. So you're down to just SJSU and Hawaii. Of those, I would guess perhaps Hawaii might draw better than schools in the Belt, but I doubt it.

A little history. In 1995 we played Oregon State...of the PAC-10 at Fouts. I was at that game, and I bet there were maybe 11K fans there. Doesn't get much bigger of a name than one in a Power League - even if the Beavers were bad at the time.

I hate when the beaver goes bad.

• Upvote 1

I would take the 3 you listed over FIU, ARst, and MTSU. But since this is about getting the casual fan into the stadium why dont you walk around campus and ask the students who they would rather us play against.

I would guess that a lot of them don't care. I think a lot of our students are too apathetic to care. But you probably already have a poll that you have done, right?

Dear Lord and all that is Holy, what part of WE ALREADY PLAYED THOSE TEAMS IN CONFERENCE AND NOONE SHOWED UP do you not/refuse to understand?

Its like talking to a 5 year old who keeps putting his hand on the stove, even after you told him it will burn, but he did it anyways.

Edited by Rudy
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Sunbelt has two primary bowl tie ins. The New Orleans Bowl and the GMAC (Mobile, Al) Bowl. The Belt also has secondary tie ins with the Independence Bowl, a bowl in Orlando and a third bowl. Those three will take a 7 win Belt team (6 won't cut it) if one of the conferences with primary tie ins can't supply a team.

Dear Lord and all that is Holy, what part of WE ALREADY PLAYED THOSE TEAMS IN CONFERENCE AND NOONE SHOWED UP do you not/refuse to understand?

Its like talking to a 5 year old who keeps putting his hand on the stove, even after you told him it will burn, but he did it anyways.

Little Rudy...I think I will make it my goal to throw tortillas at you from now on when we're losing against the Sun Suck teams.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

Little Rudy...I think I will make it my goal to throw tortillas at you from now on when we're losing against the Sun Suck teams.

LOL more personal shots. Your life must really be pathetic. Im flattered, you know who I am but I don't know you.