Mg Sports - Green Gang Blog - Billy Gillispie Vs. Jones

gangrene

Green Gang: Gllispie And Jones Go In Two Different Directions

Wow, I think he's a bit drunk on the green punch.

I'm not a Gillispie fan, and certainly not an Aggie fan, but I don't know why he found it necessary to slam Gillispie for taking the Kentucky job. "Money, Power, Prestige?" No, maybe it was just that he wanted to coach at a "basketball school" with a rich tradition and felt he was up for the challenge of "big-time" college basketball?

And, he's sorely mistaken if he thinks Johnny Jones would kindly decline the opportunity to be the head coach at LSU, or any other SEC, Big 12, Big 10, PAC 10, Big East school to remain at UNT.

Green Gang: Gllispie And Jones Go In Two Different Directions

Wow, I think he's a bit drunk on the green punch.

I'm not a Gillispie fan, and certainly not an Aggie fan, but I don't know why he found it necessary to slam Gillispie for taking the Kentucky job. "Money, Power, Prestige?" No, maybe it was just that he wanted to coach at a "basketball school" with a rich tradition and felt he was up for the challenge of "big-time" college basketball?

And, he's sorely mistaken if he thinks Johnny Jones would kindly decline the opportunity to be the head coach at LSU, or any other SEC, Big 12, Big 10, PAC 10, Big East school to remain at UNT.

Oh boy. I hope Bartolotta is not let down too much when JJ leaves in a few years (or after this season with a final 4 under his belt :D ) for "Money, Power, Prestige"...

Kind of made me chuckle.He assumes JJ has had other opportunities that he has turned down, that if he is offerred other opportunities that he won't leave, and, worst of all, assumes that there would have been no expectations for Gillepsie in College Station then implies that there should basically be no greater expectations here than what we have already experienced. So JJ has made it and can coast to retirement??

Really a joke of an article. I expect partisianship from the athletic web site, but come on.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Kind of made me chuckle.He assumes JJ has had other opportunities that he has turned down, that if he is offerred other opportunities that he won't leave, and, worst of all, assumes that there would have been no expectations for Gillepsie in College Station then implies that there should basically be no greater expectations here than what we have already experienced. So JJ has made it and can coast to retirement??

Really a joke of an article. I expect partisianship from the athletic web site, but come on.

He's always struck me as more of a HVAC technician than a basketball internet columnist.

• Upvote 1

Why? Because he would weasel his way out and put plenty of other people in danger before the situation was resolved?

:lol: Exactly. But, at least the citizens of Gotham were ultimately saved. Sure, Batman's turned into the bad guy...but he's the hero North Texas deserves, but not the one it needs right now…and so we’ll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he’s not a hero. He’s a silent guardian, a watchful protector

:lol: Exactly. But, at least the citizens of Gotham were ultimately saved. Sure, Batman's turned into the bad guy...but he's the hero North Texas deserves, but not the one it needs right now…and so we’ll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he’s not a hero. He’s a silent guardian, a watchful protector

Flash Gordon??? NEVER HEARD OF HIM.

But Batman is hands down the greatest superhero North Texas has ever had!!!

• Upvote 2

You crossed the line first, sir. You squeezed them, you hammered them to the point of desperation. And in their desperation they turned to a man they didn't fully understand.

Spoken like someone without a grasp of the history of our great school. In my opPinion, the discussion begins and ends with Mandrake the Magician and his lovely wife Narda...though there are those who would make a case for Phantom b/c he had a horse.

I can tell you one thing with certainty, though...its not the Green Lantern.

• Upvote 1

He's enjoying his success instead of trying to capitalize on it. How refreshing is that to see in coaching these days? In the mercenary world of coaching, situations like this are rare unless you live on Tobacco Road.

Have there been other opportunities for Jones? No doubt, it's the nature of college basketball and sports for that matter.

My whole point, Gillispie could have stayed at A&M and had the same empire that Jones has built at North Texas.

As Robert Frost once said "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference"

For Jones that has been words to live by and one day soon for Gillispie that will be words for him to live by.

Assuming that Steven is of the oppinion that the Frost poem was suggesting

that taking the path less traveled will teach us a valuable life lesson which

we will be better off for in the future, then wasn't Gillespi taking

the Kentucky job in fact taking the "road less traveled"?

Instead of staying in a comfort zone, he took that chance, earned

a valuable life lesson in a pressure cooker few will ever know, and

be better off which will have..."made all the difference" for his career down the road?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick