Fw*telegram Major Article On Unt's Hush Money(Bataille)

OldTimer

Stonewalling over a personality conflict is one thing. But what if the president believes the flagship campus in Denton is being sapped by the system's expansion into Dallas? Or if there's a titanic clash about tuition and competitiveness?

Last week, Jackson was asked repeatedly about the reasons for Bataille's exit. The former Dallas County judge, who's been chancellor since 2002, said it wasn't appropriate to disclose details, because "we have not done that in other administrative personnel matters."

Bataille offered a fitting contrast at a farewell lunch with her staff last week. She quoted from her inauguration speech: "I told you, 'Higher education simply cannot continue to keep doing things 'the way we always have done them,'" she said.

Guess we know who won that fight.

I and many others here have said before, and I'll continue to say that the UNT Dallas idea was a bad one.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I guess at this point a buttload of emails and snail mail to the BOR wouldn't bring GB back but would voicing our concerns about LJ do any good since he's appointed by Big Hair?

Lee Jackson is unwilling to state a reason for Dr. B's removal. If he can't honestly give just cause for her removal, then he needs to be replaced.

If you feel this way, call and let them know. I did. It's an election year, they might care.

Governor's Office 512-463-2000

I and many others here have said before, and I'll continue to say that the UNT Dallas idea was a bad one.

Rick

I don't know that the idea in itself is a bad one, but they're going about it the wrong way. Expanding a university system can be an asset to the flagship campus, but as far as I can tell, they are doing everything they can to distance the system from the flagship campus.

If you want Lee Jackson replaced, you're going to have to vote for another Governor.

Not exactly. The Chancellor is appointed by the Board of Regents and they can remove him. A continual barrage of letters and e-mails might get their attention enough to act.

The regents are appointed by the governor but I doubt that they are committed to the governor's bidding.

Not exactly. The Chancellor is appointed by the Board of Regents and they can remove him. A continual barrage of letters and e-mails might get their attention enough to act.

The regents are appointed by the governor but I doubt that they are committed to the governor's bidding.

A good majority of the regents accepted the resignation hence, Vote in a new Governor (KBH)...apoints new regents...they appoint a new Chancellor...voila! We get this University out of the hands of Lee Jackson.

What is LJ's agenda? Where do his loyalties lie? UNT or the Greater Dallas Chamber of Commerce, Downtown Dallas, the Southern Sector Development Initiative, the Dallas Citizens Council and the Dallas Education Foundation? I'd say most of his decisions regarding UNT are directly tied to his place on the Dallas Chamber's Board of Directors and, arguably, benefit them far more than they benefit UNT.

• Upvote 1

Why do we hate LJ so much? Didn't he hire Bataille, in the first place?

Do we actually know for a fact that he wants to keep UNT-Denton "small-time" while pilfering scarce resources and directing them to the UNT-Dallas campus? Or is that just conjecture by a few?

Not trying to antagonize....just honestly lost in all this.

I think it's pretty clear that there is a strong will in some (initials LJ) to keep us "lil' ol'' UNT". Now why would that be?

Strange that this post by Emmitt would get "demerits", when it's a valid question. Actually, a very important question.

The Faculty Senate needs to be encouraged by all alumni who care to keep up the pressure on Jackson and the BOR to get answers to 1)why Dr. Bataille was removed 2)to provide a clear outline as to ALL immediate and future plans of the System impacting the Denton campus and 3)ensure they are involved in vetting potential replacements or raise holy hell.

Who knows what else might be coming down the pike given the stealth relocation of the System Admin. to Dallas, the last minute amendment that ceded the law school UNT-Denton had been planning since 1980 to UNT-Dallas (governance is the main issue, NOT the location downtown), and the centralization of shared services (I.T. & H.R.) with little to no input from the Denton campus community?

Speculation and conspiracy theories, regardless who it annoys, is actually healthy right now. The campus community deserves answers, and the explanations for all the events cited above provided by the Chancellor purposefully lack substance and border on ridiculous.

Edited by UNTX
  • Upvote 1

If you want Lee Jackson replaced, you're going to have to vote for another Governor.

Sorry. I just can't go against the guy who signed off on our new stadium. I guess it would be fair to say he bought my vote when he signed that stadium bill.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sorry. I just can't go against the guy who signed off on our new stadium. I guess it would be fair to say he bought my vote when he signed that stadium bill.

Actually Perry changed the bill from what it was voted on by the students, so screw Perry and his time limit on the debt service for the fee.

• Upvote 1

Actually Perry changed the bill from what it was voted on by the students, so screw Perry and his time limit on the debt service for the fee.

Yep, Perry saw to it that the athletic fee sunsets once the facility debt is paid off. All the while nearly every, if not every other public school in the state has a dedicated athletic fee that never "goes away".

He's also meddling in the affairs of universities within the state by threatening not one but two former Texas Tech regents that Tech would suffer if they didn't step down from the posts he appointed them to. Because.......they endorsed KBH for governor - and you MUST be loyal to old Rick. And there's too much meddlesome crap that he's been involved in regarding TAMU to even go into here.