Plan B

MCMLXXX

Does the SBC have a Plan B?

http://www.denverpost.com/colleges/ci_14378166

I'm sure that Wright Waters has a number of plans depending on who he loses but as long as there's a moratorium there's no one to fill any openings.

If the Pac 10 and the Big 10 expand to 12 then the Big East will likely have to do the same to keep their AQ status. Even if they can talk the three independents into joining they will still have to pull two from CUSA which will in turn drop to ten or less or take two or more from the Belt.

The game of musical chairs is just starting and a lot of conferences will need a Plan B but the SBC and the WAC will be hurt the most.

Raid the WAC. If the WAC loses BSU and possibly Nevada or Fresno State (or both depending on the situation) to the MWC, the conference doesn't hold much any longer for most of the remaining schools. LTech and NMSU would be good candidates for the SBC.

La Tech would go Indy before lowering themselves to join the Sun Belt.

La Tech would go Indy before lowering themselves to join the Sun Belt.

I don't know about that. Life sucks as an independent that is a free win for the top teams and not as much for the rest. They could have some trouble getting teams to play them at home. They don't have a destination that is easy to get to, no TV coverage, and no large stadium. I don't think they could make is as an independent.

I don't know about that. Life sucks as an independent that is a free win for the top teams and not as much for the rest. They could have some trouble getting teams to play them at home. They don't have a destination that is easy to get to, no TV coverage, and no large stadium. I don't think they could make is as an independent.

Let um join the Southland.

Tell La Tech we need would love them to come and enhance the stature of the Sun Belt. The reality is they could be easily waxed by Troy and MTSU right now and we get another driveable road game. It's a win win! We now have an even more Southern footprint, bowl games in New Orleans, Orlando and Mobile. That is a sweet thought!

GMG

If I had my druthers here's some of the shuffling I'd do:

Make every league a 10+ team league by combining and re-shuffling existing alignments. Every league have 2 divisions (be it North/South or East/West). Every league have a championship game. Take the Top 60-70 schools and put them into 4-5 geographically desirable conferences.

Take the next 50 or so schools and put them in 4-5 geographically desirable conferences as well. Make 2 divisions in each league and have a championship game. This creates rivalries and makes scheduling a lot easier.

No more independent teams (so ND, Army, Air Force go into leagues).

The BCS

CENTRAL CONFERENCE

The BIG XII as it sits, but add Arkansas to the North & TCU to the South, while Colorado departs to the PAC 10.

ATLANTIC CONFERENCE

A combination of the Big East and ACC (BC, Cin, UConn, Pitt, Rut, Syrcse, Duke, Maryland, UNC, NC State, Virginia, Va Tech, West Va)

MIDWEST CONFERENCE

A revamped Big 10 including current schools plus Notre Dame and Kentucky.

SOUTHEAST CONFERENCE

The SEC on steroids. Get rid of the bottom rungs and add the best of the ACC teams that fall geographically into SEC territory. So you get (Ala, Aub, Fla State, Fla, Miami, Clemson, Ga Tech, Ga, LSU, Tenn, S. Carolina, Ole Miss, Miss State)

WEST CONFERENCE

The PAC 10, minus Washington State, with the additions of Boise, BYU, Colorado, and Utah.

'COASTAL CONFERENCE'

A hybrid of C-USA, Big East, Sun Belt, and SEC. (E Car, L'ville, Navy, Vandy, Wake For, Centrl Fla, S Fla, Memphis, MTSU, Troy, So Miss).

The Non-BCS

TEXAS CONFERENCE

A mixture of all of the Texas (and OK and LA) schools that travel past one anothers campuses to play in a conference mainly located in the Eastern part of the country. (Hou, UNT, Rice, SMU, UTSA, UTEP, Ark State, Tulsa, La Tech, La Monroe, La Lafayette, Tulane).

ROCKY MOUNTAIN CONFERENCE

The remaining WAC and Mountain West teams with the addition of Washington State and Montana. (AF, Co State, Idaho, Montna, SJ St, SD St, Utah St, Wash St, Wyoming, Fresno St, Hawaii, Nev, NM, NM State, UNLV).

NORTHEASTERN CONFERENCE

This is where it starts to get dicey. Basically the MAC schools from Ohio and east, add Army, add Villanova and Richmond. So (Army, Buffalo, Marshall, Richmond, Temple, Nova, Akron, Kent St, Miami, Ohio, Toledo).

GREAT LAKES CONFERENCE

The Western part of the MAC plus 2 Kentucky schools, add Southern Illinois. (Ball St, Bwling Grn, CMU, EMU, WMU, No Ill, So Ill, WKU).

DEEP SOUTH

A mixture of Sun Belt, C-USA, and new schools to D1. This is the ugliest of all. (UAB, FAU, FIU, South Ala, Appalachian State, Ga Southern). I'd probably tweak this one.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Conference re-alignments are much like all the wives who just keep having to move the furniture around to get that "new" look. Same funiture--new look?
rolleyes.gif

And thanks, Eagle1855, for the oil derrick symbol of the Oilers for those of us who grew up in the Houston area with many of us remembering names like those listed below:

George Blanda

Charlie Hennigan

Charlie Tolar

Scott Appleton

Ken Houston (got lucky and was traded to the Redskins--way to go,
Bud Adams
)
wink.gif

Don Trull (short career)

Lawrence Elkins (even shorter career)

Bob Talamini

Pete Beathard

Willie Parker

Elvin Beathea

Sid Blanks

Charlie Frazier

Willard Deuvall

Pat Holmes

Hoyle Granger

Ernie Ladd (very brief career with Oilers)

...and way too many more names I've forgotten at the moment

av-1669.gif

+1 just for showing up.

Good to see a post from you, Plumm.

Should TCU move to the Big 12, and A C-USA school goes MWC. North Texas should have a good shot at C-USA. After all the Conf. Commissioner moved the offices to Irving. Why not have another USA team right up the street.

Edited by GreenStreet

Conference re-alignments are much like all the wives who just keep having to move the furniture around to get that "new" look. Same funiture--new look?
rolleyes.gif

And thanks, Eagle1855, for the oil derrick symbol of the Oilers for those of us who grew up in the Houston area with many of us remembering names like those listed below:

George Blanda

Charlie Hennigan

Charlie Tolar

Scott Appleton

Ken Houston (got lucky and was traded to the Redskins--way to go,
Bud Adams
)
wink.gif

Don Trull (short career)

Lawrence Elkins (even shorter career)

Bob Talamini

Pete Beathard

Willie Parker

Elvin Beathea

Sid Blanks

Charlie Frazier

Willard Deuvall

Pat Holmes

Hoyle Granger

Ernie Ladd (very brief career with Oilers)

...and way too many more names I've forgotten at the moment

av-1669.gif

Damn good to here from you Plumm. Miss your posts. Don't be a stranger!