The way I read it, the major station *news* shows still lead in ratings over Fox. Fox beats out MSNBC, CNN, BBC, etc. It isn't accurate to say they lead 'major news networks', only cable news networks. Then again, Fox hasn't been too focused on accuracy -- mainly ratings.

Yes, I was referring to the actual news on CNN and MSNBC that goes against the news shows on FOX. Not talking about the talk shows, but the news shows.

Your right, though. FOX does care about ratings, that's why they have conservative hosts. For whatever reason, conservative hosts kick the stuffing out of liberal hosts.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Personally, I can't watch FOX news. Every time I watch it I get the feeling I'm watching a parent talk to a 4-year old. Every once in a while I'll watch Fox News Sunday, which brings in all of the heavy hitters and brains at the network to do the traditional Sunday morning talk show... but all things considered I'd still rather make a pot of coffee and watch CBS Sunday Morning with Charles Osgood.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yes, I was referring to the actual news on CNN and MSNBC that goes against the news shows on FOX. Not talking about the talk shows, but the news shows.

Your right, though. FOX does care about ratings, that's why they have conservative hosts. For whatever reason, conservative hosts kick the stuffing out of liberal hosts.

Or the fact that there are fewer choices for conservative brings an audience to one place instead of many. Could be that, too.

Or the fact that there are fewer choices for conservative brings an audience to one place instead of many. Could be that, too.

Just for comparison sake Mediabistro.com (Neilson Ratings)

Looks to me that you might have a point. Assume that we were to combine all of the other 3 "Left" stations that they list in the ratings and say that due to the additional options for viewing the left audience spreads themselves out to cover all three lets see how they stack up against FOX. As if there was 1 "Right" news station and 1 "Left"...

The Scoreboard: Thursday, Feb. 4

25-54 demographic: (L +SD)

Total day: FNC: 482 | CNN: 127 | MSNBC: 104 | HLN: 167

Prime: FNC: 772 | CNN: 150 | MSNBC: 196 | HLN: 233

Total day: FNC 482 Combined others: 398

Prime: FNC 772 Combined others: 579

I don't want to seem like I have anyidea how ratings numbers are calculated or even what these number actually represent so I could be way off in my comparison here. I am only assuming that there is no sliding scale here and that 1=1 throughout the comparison. I am pretty curious how this actually works however...

• Upvote 1

Guest JohnDenver

...somewhat off topic, but did it bother anyone that the federal government bought airtime during the Super Bowl to advertise the Census?

No. It was actually a cheap way (overall) to reach 100M people at once.. to let them know the the Census is happening and it is important. It is house spending is determined, representation is determined, etc, etc. It is important to get that message out.

No. It was actually a cheap way (overall) to reach 100M people at once.. to let them know the the Census is happening and it is important. It is house spending is determined, representation is determined, etc, etc. It is important to get that message out.

I will fill out how many people are in my house. The rest of the form will be blank.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Yes, I do.

Just like the people who watch NBC, CBS, ABC, CNN want to watch news that agrees with there point of view, rather than challenge.

Of course FOX slants right. Of course NBC, CBS, CNN, ABC slant left. If they didn't, FOX wouldn't have an audience.

I guess I just disagree with your premise then. I personally don't watch news because I want it to agree with my point of view, I just want to know what is going on. I don't need to watch something that tells me how I should feel, or puts emphasis on what they think is important. I guess that's why I don't watch much news on the TV.

• Upvote 2

Why's that? Seriously, I have no idea.

Because the government doesn't need to know how many bathrooms I have, how many cars I drive and how far I drive to work, whether I have a fireplace or gas heat, what I feed my dog, or any of the other ridiculous questions they asked in 2000.

The Constitution requires a count of all people. That's it.

Edited by UNTflyer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I guess I just disagree with your premise then. I personally don't watch news because I want it to agree with my point of view, I just want to know what is going on. I don't need to watch something that tells me how I should feel, or puts emphasis on what they think is important. I guess that's why I don't watch much news on the TV.

Actually, I think you may kind of agree. National nightly news at 5:30 PM has lost a huge amount of viewers over the past 20 years. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the increased number of options with cable and satallite, but it wouldn't surprise me if many non-political people just chose to get their news from other sources.

The fact that you say you don't want slanted news and you don't watch network news or FOX says a lot, don't you think?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Because the government doesn't need to know how many bathrooms I have, how many cars I drive and how far I drive to work, whether I have a fireplace or gas heat, what I feed my dog, or any of the other ridiculous questions they asked in 2000.

The Constitution requires a count of all people. That's it.

1. How many guns do you have?

2. When was your last BM?

3. Do you want some of this?

4. Do you like this gig?

5. Guess what I have in my underwear?

6. Are your nipples black?

7. I've got a flask in my car if you'd like to join me for an after hours drink?

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 3

4. Do you like this gig?

7. I've got a flask in my car if you'd like to join me for an after hours drink?

OK, I don't get this.......

4. Do you like this gig?

1. Zero

2. 0325 this morning.

3. Bring it.

4. You bet your sweet ass, I do.

5. My doo-doo.

6. Sometimes.

7. Absolutely.

• Upvote 1

I will fill out how many people are in my house. The rest of the form will be blank.

I know that it sounds weird, but that is all I plan on filling out also. There is no reason the Government needs to know all of the things that they ask... In fact as Flyer pointed out they are not constitutionally bound to ask any other questions either. According to My linkArticle 1 section 2 (with modifications from the 14th ammendment)they are only required to ask about the legal population. I assume I am therefore constitutionally bound only to answer questions to those ends.

I haven't seen the census yet so maybe there are other questions that I will answer, but invasive questions asking about kitchen appliances, choices of birth control etc. are not questions that I feel are requested by the constitution and I don't feel ethically bound to answer them. IMHO.

I know that it sounds weird, but that is all I plan on filling out also. There is no reason the Government needs to know all of the things that they ask... In fact as Flyer pointed out they are not constitutionally bound to ask any other questions either. According to My linkArticle 1 section 2 (with modifications from the 14th ammendment)they are only required to ask about the legal population. I assume I am therefore constitutionally bound only to answer questions to those ends.

I haven't seen the census yet so maybe there are other questions that I will answer, but invasive questions asking about kitchen appliances, choices of birth control etc. are not questions that I feel are requested by the constitution and I don't feel ethically bound to answer them. IMHO.

According to the 2010 Census website, it is about 10 questions.

1. I keep a 9

2. I'll be finished before I post this.

3. No sir.

4. It's alright. I could use more time off.

5. My best guess is skid marks?

6. No, but the hair around them is.

7. Be careful, Chris Hansen appears out of thin air and dashes the dreams of folks like you.

I really like the direction that this thread moved in... and I love the Census!

• Upvote 1