Shanice Stevens A Bust?

DeepGreen

From Vito's blog-

ULL snaps skid against slumping UNT women

ULL snapped a 21-game Sun Belt Conference losing streak against UNT last night. I thought I would post a quick note about it before heading to the airport on the way to today's UNT-ULL men's game.

ULL hadn't won a conference game since March 1, 2008, when the Cajuns beat Denver 66-44. UNT was up 10 early in the second half .

Denetra Kellum had 19 points, Brittney James added 17 and Jasmine Godbolt had a double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds.

The problem -- once again -- was that UNT turned the ball over 29 times.

UNT is 4-12.

"94 feet of heat"? Looks like a coaching hire bust once again! Guess we hired SS based on a great powerpoint presentation, regardless of the fact she came from a losing womens program.

With this being a RV hire she will finish her contract just like TD and RV will continue to make piss poor hires for the major sports and Dr. B will keep on consolidating her power while only fleetingly watching the AD. She of course will be at the Stadium opening with her pearly whites mugging for the camera next to RV.

With this being a RV hire she will finish her contract just like TD and RV will continue to make piss poor hires for the major sports and Dr. B will keep on consolidating her power while only fleetingly watching the AD. She of course will be at the Stadium opening with her pearly whites mugging for the camera next to RV.

Good lord. She is only in her second season...Johnny Jones only won 7 games in his second season and look at what he has...oh, yeah, they suck too.

I guess fire Stevens so she doesn't have the chance to ruin the our traditionally strong women's program since the men's is already in the crapper.

While I am very disappointed in the play by the women, i think it is too early to give up on SS and call her a bust. You really do need to go back and check JJ's early years record..really not much better than SS. My concerns seem to center on the fact that the program is having tons of player and staff turnover without seeing anything change on court. IF SS wants her players and her coaches, as all head coaches do, they do need to perform a bit better for her. It is pretty painful to watch the UNT women play right now, and I was so hopeful that the women could get it going sooner than this.

But, too early to pull the plug on the head coach. The history and tradition of the women's program is not overly stellar at UNT...it may just take a few years to get it headed in the right direction. I do like that "94 feet of heat" thing...maybe it will come to pass.

We'll see...GO MEAN GREEN!

Good lord. She is only in her second season...Johnny Jones only won 7 games in his second season and look at what he has...oh, yeah, they suck too.

I guess fire Stevens so she doesn't have the chance to ruin the our traditionally strong women's program since the men's is already in the crapper.

Trilli left the mens program in shambles. I really like Johnny Jones a lot, and he has brought stability to the men's program and represents the University well. But don't lose sight of the fact that some of Johnny's success (wins) has come at the hands of 20 or so NAIA teams over his tenure.

Slinker left the women's program in somewhat decent shape. I just think RV could have made a much better hire and Shanice is a disaster unfolding before our very eyes. And Donna Capps comes to mind. She was available and interviewed for the job. But noooooooooooooo- why hire a proven head coach when you can hire an assistant from a losing program at a big name school like Clemson?

"For former TX-Arlington coach Donna Capps, it was just the right time to leave. She'd just put the finishing touches on a stellar seven-year run that saw her go 119-89--the most wins in Mavericks program history--and earn two SLC Coach of the Year awards, as her team finished the season 24-9--also a school record for wins--capping three consecutive 20-win seasons."

Edited by DeepGreen

From Vito's blog-

ULL snaps skid against slumping UNT women

ULL snapped a 21-game Sun Belt Conference losing streak against UNT last night. I thought I would post a quick note about it before heading to the airport on the way to today's UNT-ULL men's game.

ULL hadn't won a conference game since March 1, 2008, when the Cajuns beat Denver 66-44. UNT was up 10 early in the second half .

Denetra Kellum had 19 points, Brittney James added 17 and Jasmine Godbolt had a double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds.

The problem -- once again -- was that UNT turned the ball over 29 times.

UNT is 4-12.

"94 feet of heat"? Looks like a coaching hire bust once again! Guess we hired SS based on a great powerpoint presentation, regardless of the fact she came from a losing womens program.

But doesn't every single college coach deserves a MINIMUM of 4 years before the true verdict is out?

Guest GrayEagleOne

Just a question...have you made any positive post since you have been on gmg? give us some links

Yes, he did. The problem is that it was about new Kansas coach Turner Gill. ZERO positive comments about North Texas.

I'm positively not happy about the state of the UNT football and women's basketball programs. Happy now? Do I win a prize for being positive? I think the new business building is gonna rock.

Just so you know... It's very unlikely that they'll implement the "wings" I added to the architectural rendering.

Adjust your expectations accordingly.

Would ya ?

OK, this comment is getting so "old" and trite. Can you please come up with a new hijack strategy? I know you are witty enough to do so, this one is just getting to be so lame. :lol::P

• Downvote 1

OK, this comment is getting so "old" and trite. Can you please come up with a new hijack strategy? I know you are witty enough to do so, this one is just getting to be so lame. :lol::P

Just answer the question.

NT03 - Yes, I would...there is a lot to be said for the nubian goddess.

Just so you know... It's very unlikely that they'll implement the "wings" I added to the architectural rendering.

Adjust your expectations accordingly.

every time I hear "wings" I think of a panty liner. Dude, 2010 is starting out as a very weird year for me. And to CBL, yes.

Edited by GreenMachine

Do you really think this is in way funny or appropriate? Yes, I know it is a carry-on from previous failed attempts at juvenile humor, but this kind of junk gets old.

the junior high kids have taken over the board. back to the topic does anyone here really care about womens basketball? sorry but other than football and mens basketball the only ones that really follow non revenue sports are parents of the players.

the junior high kids have taken over the board. back to the topic does anyone here really care about womens basketball? sorry but other than football and mens basketball the only ones that really follow non revenue sports are parents of the players.

I think our fan base would follow women's basketball well if we were good. The reason I say is that when we were in the SLC in the 80's SFA's women's team was very good and I believed ranked fairly high. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they and La Tech were two of the best women's teams in the region at the time. Anyhow, the SLC games were always paired with women playing first followed by the men, and the crowds got there just before tip off of the men's game. But not in Nacogdoches. The men played first. Then just before tip off for the women's game the crowd showed up and they packed the house. And brother, their women's team would beat the crap out of us.

Watch TCU this year as they draw closer to March as another example. They seem to be headed in the right direction. They're ranked 25th right now and are drawing about 2200-2500 per home game. If they can continue to build on their success and rise in the rankings I think you'll see some very good crowds start to show up at Daniel Myer.

Rick