Ohio State Band

SilverEagle

I was watching the Tournament of Roses parade and when the Ohio State Band appeared I had a pseudo flash-back. With some very minor differences, this was the North Texas Band of my youth. When I went to North Texas games in the 60's (with my HS Band) the Maurice McAdow-led North Texas band was very much like the Ohio State band.....down to their uni's.

The North Texas Band (like OSU) marched 8 to 5 with the same high-energy-high-stepping style as the OSU Band. The North Texas Band had unis almost exactly like the OSU band except that the North Texas unis had small capes that had NT on them instead of the epaulettes like the OSU band. And, like the OSU Band, the North Texas Band members wore spats.

Just another great tradition at North Texas that went away for God knows what reason.

I was watching the Tournament of Roses parade and when the Ohio State Band appeared I had a pseudo flash-back. With some very minor differences, this was the North Texas Band of my youth. When I went to North Texas games in the 60's (with my HS Band) the Maurice McAdow-led North Texas band was very much like the Ohio State band.....down to their uni's.

The North Texas Band (like OSU) marched 8 to 5 with the same high-energy-high-stepping style as the OSU Band. The North Texas Band had unis almost exactly like the OSU band except that the North Texas unis had small capes that had NT on them instead of the epaulettes like the OSU band. And, like the OSU Band, the North Texas Band members wore spats.

Just another great tradition at North Texas that went away for God knows what reason.

Marching band styles have changed. I, personally, was a member of the Green Brigade in the early 90's and I love the current style the band presents. The "old style" high step marching style is not what is cutting edge today, and when North Texas is turning out a lot of future band directors from their ranks, it is important that they stay on the cutting edge of what is new and en vogue in the marching band world. The band certainly has many traditions that have been carried from years past, but the actual style of the band fits the fact that we are a jazz school and a huge producer of band directors.

High stepping except for effect in short bursts went out with bell bottoms. ...Find me a world class drum and bugle corp that high-steps.

Marching band styles have changed. I, personally, was a member of the Green Brigade in the early 90's and I love the current style the band presents. The "old style" high step marching style is not what is cutting edge today, and when North Texas is turning out a lot of future band directors from their ranks, it is important that they stay on the cutting edge of what is new and en vogue in the marching band world. The band certainly has many traditions that have been carried from years past, but the actual style of the band fits the fact that we are a jazz school and a huge producer of band directors.

High stepping except for effect in short bursts went out with bell bottoms. ...Find me a world class drum and bugle corp that high-steps.

We were just as well known as a jazz school back in the 50"/60's, AND we were also the largest producer of Band directors during the same time frame. Cutting edge or not, the Maurice McAdow bands of the 60's early 70's could play (and march) circles around the 1990 Green Brigade....and the 1990 Green Brigade was the best band in Texas. For one thing, they (the 60's NT Band) didn't play the "dumbed down" version of the fight song.

The Band is (or should be) about continuing traditions at a school, not capriciously changing them just to be "trendy". That's why the Ohio State Band is considered one of the best in college football.

We were just as well known as a jazz school back in the 50"/60's, AND we were also the largest producer of Band directors during the same time frame. Cutting edge or not, the Maurice McAdow bands of the 60's early 70's could play (and march) circles around the 1990 Green Brigade....and the 1990 Green Brigade was the best band in Texas. For one thing, they (the 60's NT Band) didn't play the "dumbed down" version of the fight song.

The Band is (or should be) about continuing traditions at a school, not capriciously changing them just to be "trendy". That's why the Ohio State Band is considered one of the best in college football.

Couldn't have responded better!

I was viewing some other bowl game or pre-bowl game the other night and one of the bands from another well-known university performed the same way. Semi high stepping, spats, the whole thing. I really thought that band was energized.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Green Brigade is great. I have never cared for the symphonic music they sometimes play nor the marching arrangements. And our pre-game could be so much better if they would get rid of that damn Fly Like An Eagle. Why not some of the traditional music, Texas Our Texas. After all, we are from the state of Texas. Sure the whorn band plays that, but so what.

somebody forgot to tell the Oregon band they were not going to practice this morning but rather the Rose Bowl! They look like they are in sweats out there and not a uniform. I am about cutting edge but that is just sloppy. But hey their flags match!

Love our Green Brigade but the inclusion of more Texas tunes wouldn't hurt. I go to a Dallas Cowboy bar here in Vegas and during commercials they blare God Bless Texas and other Texas greats! Makes me swell up with Texas pride:)

GMG

No comparison between the Oregon and OSU band. Buckeye band sharp, disciplined and sounds great! The Auburn band in the stands is one of the best, but all of those SEC programs have the college football experience down to a science.

GGB

No comparison between the Oregon and OSU band. Buckeye band sharp, disciplined and sounds great! The Auburn band in the stands is one of the best, but all of those SEC programs have the college football experience down to a science.

GGB

My wife looked at the Oregon Band and said "I wouldn't be seen out in public in those outfits, much less at the Rose Bowl."

Those SEC Bands understand the importance of PAGENTRY. But the king of pagentry (as I've stated many times before) is the OU Band.

I'm looking forward to the new stadium giving the Green Brigade the opportunity to produce some pagentry for the North Texas fans/students. One thing I would like to see them do is bring back the fanfare that the band used to open their shows with in the 50's/60's under McAdow.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I wasn't impressed with OSU's halftime presentation and the suit and tie uniform does nothing for me, personally. Oregon's music and playing was great, though the super casual sweat suit uniform was really pathetic for the Rose Bowl, I agree.

I DO agree that the pre-game leaves a bit to be desired, but since the new stadium won't have a track, there will be a change there due to necessity. I like a more modern look feel and sound, but then again, that's the world I grew up in and was a part of. When I was in HS and College and since I've continued to follow Drum and Bugle Corps nobody who was taken seriously in competition ran around high-stepping. Hell, you can't play (especially a brass instrument) worth a darn if you're high stepping.

jazz has no place in a marching band or at a football game either. leave it in the bar where it belongs.

Edited by LoveMG

I like a more modern look feel and sound, but then again, that's the world I grew up in and was a part of. When I was in HS and College and since I've continued to follow Drum and Bugle Corps nobody who was taken seriously in competition ran around high-stepping. Hell, you can't play (especially a brass instrument) worth a darn if you're high stepping.

Can't disagree. But this is not high school band competition. This is college football pagentry we are talking about, for the college students, casual fans, and the old guard alumni base. Like me.

So how bad is TCU going to rout Boise? The Pac 10 is not as good as MWC and defense spanks offense again today!

Not to mention TCU has defense AND offense for the first time ever.

I think TCU kills boise and I like the broncos, but be prepared to hear that tragic frog horn annoy and roar all night long!

GMG

We'll have to agree to disagree. I wasn't impressed with OSU's halftime presentation and the suit and tie uniform does nothing for me, personally. Oregon's music and playing was great, though the super casual sweat suit uniform was really pathetic for the Rose Bowl, I agree.

I DO agree that the pre-game leaves a bit to be desired, but since the new stadium won't have a track, there will be a change there due to necessity. I like a more modern look feel and sound, but then again, that's the world I grew up in and was a part of. When I was in HS and College and since I've continued to follow Drum and Bugle Corps nobody who was taken seriously in competition ran around high-stepping. Hell, you can't play (especially a brass instrument) worth a darn if you're high stepping.

It doesn't matter if the uni's do anything for you or not. I seriously doubt if the majority of the band members of the OSU band actually like their uni's. It's about tradition. Whereas our tradition is to capriciously change uni's, change logos, icons, and university symbols as if we were a bunch of 16 year old girls (in his best valley girl voice.."That's like soooo last week!)

Edited by SilverEagle

It doesn't matter if the uni's do anything for you or not. I seriously doubt if the majority of the band members of the OSU band actually like their uni's. It's about tradition. Whereas our tradition is to capriciously change uni's, change logos, icons, and university symbols as if we were a bunch of 16 year old girls (in his best valley girl voice.."That's like soooo last week!)

Completely agree. We rarely get the term "Tradition" at NT, other than the fact we are constantly changing them.

Rick

OK OK Help me with something

Now I understand why cadets in the Air Force Color Guard are armed. They are in the "Armed Forces" of course.

But why do the Green Brigade Flag Corp need to be armed ? I'm speaking of those white rifles they twirl when they're not using the flags. The rifles are real I presume. Because if they were not real, why would they be needed ?

It's always seemed odd to me that a University that at one time thought the name "Scrappy" was too "war-like" would have a marching band with an armed flag corp.

I always thought the Green Brigade should wear a green sport coat, black fadora and sunglases to reflect the fact that we are (among other things) a jazz school. It doesn't mean that we couldn't play traditional tunes and mix in a few modern tunes as well. I think the coat and tie would really be distinctive and set us apart from other bands. But, that's just me. ;)

You mean a coat like the SMU band wares? Really. The traditions have changed and we can not go back to the 50s and 60s. Fly like an Eagle is our oldest band tradition so leave it alone or we will lose it. The Ohio State band did corp drills and not the 8 to 5 step accept for their Ohio spell out tradition. If we start playing March Gradioso or others that are already being used by other Texas teams it makes us look bad. The band is part of the music school and is a teaching mechanism for students. The Texas marching band is part of the athletic department so there is a big difference in what is going on at the schools. Keep our traditions that we have.

You mean a coat like the SMU band wares? Really. The traditions have changed and we can not go back to the 50s and 60s. Fly like an Eagle is our oldest band tradition so leave it alone or we will lose it. The Ohio State band did corp drills and not the 8 to 5 step accept for their Ohio spell out tradition. If we start playing March Gradioso or others that are already being used by other Texas teams it makes us look bad. The band is part of the music school and is a teaching mechanism for students. The Texas marching band is part of the athletic department so there is a big difference in what is going on at the schools. Keep our traditions that we have.

Seems like I read somewhere that the Green Brigade was also part of the Athletic Dept.

Seems like I read somewhere that the Green Brigade was also part of the Athletic Dept.

They are listed as part of the School of Music. Here.

As someone who was in his high school band in the 70s, I don't care for modern "marching." It isn't marching, it's go to a spot and play a song you didn't bother to memorize. Don't tell me they can't memorize the songs, that is laughable. If they can't memorize all their music, their should be an IQ test to join the band.

But, if you stick with traditions just for the sake of calling it a tradition you end up like A&M. The Aggie band marches like it is 1942 and it shows. Their lines are never straight and they never play anything written after March 6, 1932. (That's the day John Philip Sousa died, if you didn't catch the reference.)

Keep traditions that have a purpose, but don't worry about the rest.

Have to agree with you... both with this one and your first post. MArching band, like every other style of music continues to evolve and change. Follow the DCI guys and you will see that the best at this style of music do not high step, they don't go for the pagentry / tradition model of marching band like Ohio and at UNT we shouldn't either. The band needs to be there to hype up the crowd, add that extra element of excitement to the game day experience and create some atmosphere in the stadium and the Green Brigade does that very well I would say.

We have a proud tradition of being at the forefront of musical rends, styles, methods etc. The Green Brigade should be the same way. If we are going to cntinue to produce quality band instructors and other musicians then we need to equip them with the tools to compete for the best jobs at the best schools and that requires being a little more modern in their approach, IMO. In my high shcool drum line days we followed Paul Rennick and the NT drum line almost religiously. They are always the best and they are the trend setters. most of the High Schooler's in music, especially those who want to do it professionally seek out UNT. We shouldn't change that tradition either.

Have to agree with you... both with this one and your first post. MArching band, like every other style of music continues to evolve and change. Follow the DCI guys and you will see that the best at this style of music do not high step, they don't go for the pagentry / tradition model of marching band like Ohio and at UNT we shouldn't either. The band needs to be there to hype up the crowd, add that extra element of excitement to the game day experience and create some atmosphere in the stadium and the Green Brigade does that very well I would say.

We have a proud tradition of being at the forefront of musical rends, styles, methods etc. The Green Brigade should be the same way. If we are going to cntinue to produce quality band instructors and other musicians then we need to equip them with the tools to compete for the best jobs at the best schools and that requires being a little more modern in their approach, IMO. In my high shcool drum line days we followed Paul Rennick and the NT drum line almost religiously. They are always the best and they are the trend setters. most of the High Schooler's in music, especially those who want to do it professionally seek out UNT. We shouldn't change that tradition either.

Well, I think we're in the minority on this one, but I agree.

Video Eagle - Current marching styles feature formations that are way more difficult today than they were in the 60's and 70's and at every level I played at (High School, State and DCI) we were required to memorize our music. The Green Brigade marches their show without sheet music, so I'm not sure what you're talking about there. Lots of bands today DO "Park and Blow" but the better HS Bands and the Green Brigade certainly don't. ...now, what the Brigade DOES do, which is a bit unusual for the College level is park and play for the Dance Team - Drill Teams/Dance Teams aren't a college level norm.

...it should also be noted that at the college level, (at least when I was involved) we learned like 3 separate shows during the season, unlike High School where you learn one show over the period of the entire semester with the intent to compete. At UNT, we learned a show that was short and we played for maybe 2 or 3 games at most if there was a road game we'd travel to, so the marching formations were never as complex as they were in the High School or DCI level, but the music was every bit as complex if not more so.

UNT is a music school, and the Band a part of that College. You should expect to continue to see the Green Brigade on the cutting edge of marching band evolution - That IS our tradition. That's a good thing if we intend to be one of the best producers of band directors in the country.

I've read this post with interest and readily acknowledge that there will not be a return to the great UNT marching band days of yore, no matter how much we "old timers" wish.

Silver Eagle opened the thread with a wish to return to the traditions of the McAdow marching bands of the 40's through mid seventies. In those days, if you wanted to play in the top concert band, you had to march. In fact, the concert band (which was the top band) did not begin until the spring semester. You had future professional musicians marching alongside future band directors, there were no prima-donnas. The band learned a new show for each game. If we played six home games, the crowd was treated to six different shows, even back to back home games. There were no computer generated plots. It was all done with mimeographed hand-drawn charts!

Over those thirty years, McAdow established a great number of traditions (besides instituting Scrappy!). These were:

-A distinctive fanfare to open the pregame

-Playing the other school's fight song at pregame while facing the visitor's stands

-Marching into a clever NT formation to play the alma mater just before our National Anthem

-If a visiting school brought their band, he would often invite their director to lead the National Anthem

-The AFROTC squadron presented the colors

-Each half time show would be based on a theme and the band would move through a series of formations. You may see an eagle flapping their wings, a movable typewriter, etc, etc. The crowd loved it!

-In the stands, we played at least 20 different tunes a game during appropriate times.

-Of course, we played the original fight song and it is a travesty that the arrangement was changed. Only at North Texas!

As far as as I can tell, the traditions we now have are:

-Pre Game March

-Playing "Fly like an Eagle" as many times as possible

-Alma mater after the game while holding our fingers in a talon. (Just like our friends in Austin -except they do the horns. So maybe that counts as another school's tradition borrowed by us.)

Corps style marching is not to my taste. Most of The Big Ten bands resisted the trend and still march in an 8 to 5 style. And yes, you can play while marching like this.

Corps style music is also not to my taste. A quick quiz, can anyone remember any song that was played by the Green Brigade this season (other than Fly Like an Eagle)?

An earlier poster spoke of the need to march in a corps style as we trained many future band directors. Well, forget North Texas for a moment as our music educators are throwing away our band heritage. When was the last time our band played a Sousa march? Karl King anyone? Fillmore? Instead, our marching bands are playing music that is forgotten just as soon as the next show is learned. We will regret this one day.

I know old farts like me always wish for a return of the old days, but it is a pity that we threw away great traditions and joined almost every other college and high school band in this communist corps marching style. Kudos to all those university bands that had the courage to maintain their traditions..like the Big Ten, historically black colleges, military schools like A & M and Va Tech, and others.

PS. If you run into Silver Eagle, ask him to play the old marching band recording. I think you would be surprised!

So the Green Brigade is a trend setter with DCI.WOW, and I thought their main job was to promote school spirit and continue traditions.

All of you can make fun of A$M's band, or UT's Band and OSU's band, but how many people think of the Green Brigade when they are asked to list their most memorable bands?

Considering how much has gone wrong with UNT athletics, it's a shame that we're ragging on our band, which has to be one of the most talented musically in the country. UNT has the largest school of music in the nation by enrollment and the band is a reflection of that status. Playing "Fly Like an Eagle" is a tradition that goes back at least to the '80s and probably longer, so it's strange for tradition-minded fans to suggest they stop playing it.

Edited by rcade

They are listed as part of the School of Music. Here.

As someone who was in his high school band in the 70s, I don't care for modern "marching." It isn't marching, it's go to a spot and play a song you didn't bother to memorize. Don't tell me they can't memorize the songs, that is laughable. If they can't memorize all their music, their should be an IQ test to join the band.

But, if you stick with traditions just for the sake of calling it a tradition you end up like A&M. The Aggie band marches like it is 1942 and it shows. Their lines are never straight and they never play anything written after March 6, 1932. (That's the day John Philip Sousa died, if you didn't catch the reference.)

Keep traditions that have a purpose, but don't worry about the rest.

you have got to be out of your mind. The Texas A&M marching band is a much better college FOOTBALL band than the Green Brigade in every single aspect. How many times have you gotten pumped up over a NT FOOTBALL game music selection. What we play is not football atmosphere appropriate.

I absolutely agree with rcade. I have absolutely no complaints about the Green Brigade, and it is ludicrous to compare them with A&M's band, which marches well and impresses (due to their large size), but cannot hold a candle to the Green Brigade musically. There is no School of Music at A&M. They pick students with high school marching band experience and go with them. They march well and they play the same five or six songs over and over in a commendable manner.